What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I just want to win -- HC situation

I think we are rebuilding anyway for the next couple of years. I am not sure that we are recruiting over the guys that are leaving. Which leaves us pretty much where we have been.

Like the post, completely disagree about coordinators though.

You've been pretty consistent with that. I guess if there's a coordinator at a top program in our recruiting footprint who would be able to immediately bring talent and has the coaching tree & pedigree to bring top assistants while making a splash in the media as a "name" hire... then I could be convinced.

Who, though?

Noel Mazzone from UCLA?
Vance Bedford from Texas?

There don't seem to be a lot of guys in the west in coordinator positions who fit the bill.

I like MM to, but its time to win or move on, both on the field and in recruiting. Like the defensive staff last year, new blood is needed on offense. The offensive line shouldn't be this bad after 3 years with the same coach.

You've been pretty consistent with that. I guess if there's a coordinator at a top program in our recruiting footprint who would be able to immediately bring talent and has the coaching tree & pedigree to bring top assistants while making a splash in the media as a "name" hire... then I could be convinced.

Who, though?

Noel Mazzone from UCLA?

There don't seem to be a lot of guys in the west in coordinator positions who fit the bill.

what about Pro Coordinators?

Who, though?

Noel Mazzone from UCLA?

Scott Frost

Who, though?

Noel Mazzone from UCLA?

I'd take a long look at Doug Nussmeier. West coast guy originally, loads of experience at big time programs, should have very good coaching connections, young guy who'd probably chomp at the bit to get his first HC gig, and we'd poach from McElwain which would give me some personal satisfaction.

Here's where I'm at with this-Ive got faith in Rick George to handle MM in a way that is best for the program. I think the argument to keep him another year holds merit.....because there are too many openings. There's merit in arguing to can him now. Brian Lindgren and Gary Bernardi need to be told to find other work if MM stays.

I don't like Nussmeier right now-sparkles has done well there, but they're way overrated. I think the guy to get this thing to the next level might already be here-Jim Leavitt.

You know a name that would make a splash with west coast recruits, the Pac-12 Network and ESPN/FS1? Jeff Tedford. Still only 54 years old.

RG should make a run at Chip Kelly. The NFL is souring on Chip and he is likely souring on the NFL. Sell him the new facilities, huge recruiting class coming up next year and the only school around that offers him the chance to run his hyper speed offense at altitude and a young qb that has the athletic ability to make it go.

RG should make a run at Chip Kelly. The NFL is souring on Chip and he is likely souring on the NFL. Sell him the new facilities, huge recruiting class coming up next year and the only school around that offers him the chance to run his hyper speed offense at altitude and a young qb that has the athletic ability to make it go.

Chip will be the HC at USC, Miami or LSU well before he answers any phone calls from Boulder

You know a name that would make a splash with west coast recruits, the Pac-12 Network and ESPN/FS1? Jeff Tedford. Still only 54 years old.
read somewhere that a college in Canada making a push for his services.

Chip will be the HC at USC, Miami or LSU well before he answers any phone calls from Boulder

Word on Chip is that he wants a situation with total control and where he doesn't have to deal with a lot of booster and media obligations. So I'd be surprised at a USC or LSU. Miami would make sense, but they won't pay him what he wants. It will be tough for him to return to college. He needs a Mike Leach type situation but with the resources to dominate and get paid (along with an administration that is willing to have a university attached to a football program). You know where he'd be scary good if he'd be willing to deal with the boosters? Georgia. And they're actually more patient boosters there than the rest of the SEC, so it could work if the Dawgs decided to fire Richt after this season.

Here's where I'm at with this-Ive got faith in Rick George to handle MM in a way that is best for the program. I think the argument to keep him another year holds merit.....because there are too many openings. There's merit in arguing to can him now. Brian Lindgren and Gary Bernardi need to be told to find other work if MM stays.

I don't like Nussmeier right now-sparkles has done well there, but they're way overrated. I think the guy to get this thing to the next level might already be here-Jim Leavitt.
They're 10-1, even if they are overrated that's an incredible turnaround. Besides Nussmeier's resume goes back more than this season. Hell, he turned Marc Bulger into a pro bowler. He coached Smoker and Stanton at Michigan State both went on to the NFL, turned Jake Locker into a 1st round draft pick, and won a national title with AJ McCarron while working for Saban. The dude knows offense, is young, and comes with big time football program background. He's Lane Kiffin minus all the douchebaggery.

I'd take a long look at Doug Nussmeier. West coast guy originally, loads of experience at big time programs, should have very good coaching connections, young guy who'd probably chomp at the bit to get his first HC gig, and we'd poach from McElwain which would give me some personal satisfaction.
Why was he let go at Alabama?

They're 10-1, even if they are overrated that's an incredible turnaround. Besides Nussmeier's resume goes back more than this season. Hell, he turned Marc Bulger into a pro bowler. He coached Smoker and Stanton at Michigan State both went on to the NFL, turned Jake Locker into a 1st round draft pick, and won a national title with AJ McCarron while working for Saban. The dude knows offense, is young, and comes with big time football program background. He's Lane Kiffin minus all the douchebaggery.
sounds like he has had some talented teams around him

You have to be kidding me. Nussmeier has been a hot commodity in the college ranks for awhile. It was considered a real coup that McElwain got him to Florida. Florida is 10-1, how can they be over-rated. They find ways to win.

Last edited:
Here's what I do know (and if there are a lot of people like me, it will impact RG's decision):

If HCMM returns next year I won't be coming back as a season ticket holder. I sat out this year after being someone who had 3 Club the year before.

And if the Buffs lose to CSU to start the year I won't be attending many games.

However, if a big name coach was hired I'd almost certainly purchase season tix.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the OP. We really don't have much choice other than to trust RG - but I think that he has proven so far that he is up to the challenge and worthy of that trust. I know I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now, as there are pretty convincing arguments on both sides of the HC issue.

A bit off topic, but what's interesting - no, what's sad to me is that we as fans have lost any enthusiasm we once had for our head coach. The majority here are of the "OK if he stays and not bothered if he goes" opinion. I think it speaks volumes about where we are as a program, and it's something that RG may have to gauge as he goes down this delicate road. Can he keep boosters and fans engaged when they really don't give a flip whether he retains or fires the HC?

I, as most others have stated, just want CU to be relevant again. It would cut into my free time on Saturdays, as I seldom watch the games anymore, but I still spend quite a bit of time during the week with the rest of you idots rehashing the misery and occasional bright spot. And, I still care - hard as it is sometimes. I actually stopped buying season tickets between the Barnett and Hawkins tenure - mostly because of cost, weird start times, weird game days, and all of the inherent hassles associated with attending a game (I'm old and cranky, give me a break). But I still care. I attended the UMass game in Boston last year - coupled with a vacation trip to Maine - and I try to get to a game in Boulder at least every couple of years. I'd like nothing more than to be tempted to repurchase season tickets, rejoin the Buff Club, donate to the cause, and have a reason to watch the games rather than just read the recap. Godspeed to RG to figure this sucker out.

You have to be kidding me. Nussmeier has been a hot commodity in the college ranks for awhile. It was considered a real coup that McElwain got him to Florida. Florida is 10-1, how can they be over-rated. They find ways to win.

They're best in a very bad division. Close calls against garbage opposition like Vandy and whatever directional school they played Saturday make them overrated. North Carolina was seven spots below them in last week's CFP rankings, and they would probably beat Florida by at least two scores tomorrow. Alabama is going to boatrace them in two weeks.

Here's my point-If/when we move on from MacIntyre, we need a proven commodity. That's why Miles makes sense if he'd come (I'll believe he's fired this yearwhen I see it).....and that's why promoting Leavitt makes sense. He built South Florida from nothing, he can recruit, and I guarantee you he'd gladly replace MM if given the chance.

Here's what I do know (and if there are a lot of people like me, it will impact RG's decision):

If HCMM returns next year I won't be coming back as a season ticket holder. I sat out this year after being someone who had 3 Club the year before.

And if the Buffs lose to CSU to start the year I won't be attending many games.

However, if a big name coach was hired I'd almost certainly purchase season tix.
And I think this is why it is most likely that RG does everything he can to upgrade at the HC position. I think MM knew that these last 5 games were his last opportunity to make his case for being here next year. We were underdogs in all 5 and a win in 1, or better yet, multiple games would give RG something to sell for next year. Now, I'm not even sure that a win over Utah will be enough. You only get a chance to sell brand new facilities like this, once in a great while. We need to take advantage and upgrade our talent level.

I'm in the "trust RG" camp. He has a lot riding on making the right decision. I hope he's up to the task.

They're best in a very bad division. Close calls against garbage opposition like Vandy and whatever directional school they played Saturday make them overrated. North Carolina was seven spots below them in last week's CFP rankings, and they would probably beat Florida by at least two scores tomorrow. Alabama is going to boatrace them in two weeks.

Here's my point-If/when we move on from MacIntyre, we need a proven commodity. That's why Miles makes sense if he'd come (I'll believe he's fired this yearwhen I see it).....and that's why promoting Leavitt makes sense. He built South Florida from nothing, he can recruit, and I guarantee you he'd gladly replace MM if given the chance.
Miles is fine, but the question I was responding to was about which coordinators might be out there that have big time program experience, some west coast ties, and would be an upgrade. Nussmeier checks all the boxes IMO.

Back