What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I just want to win -- HC situation

Willie Taggert?
What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?
slim-pickens-blazingsaddles-5.jpg

let it play out--- rg seems pretty competent. if he quietly ascertain that a guy like miles would come, then you pull the trigger. given all the open jobs, i'd be leery of doing anything concrete unless i had a clear and exciting replacement ready to go. a big name will generate ticket sales, donations, interest, tv games, and a recruiting boost. a "who?" name doesn't move us forward and might move us backward as we continue to be identified as a coaching graveyard.

a "who?" name doesn't move us forward and might move us backward as we continue to be identified as a coaching graveyard.

How in world can you see a situation in which CU could move backwards given the past 5 years?

if you don't have a "wow" hire lined up, and you pop a guy after 3 years, it leaves a mark. we've now blown through a coach who came here with the highest winning % in the game (hawkins) and he failed. then, we went sentimental hire with embree and popped him after only 2 years of abysmal failure.

folks on the outside won't care about all the good reasons for changes. up and coming coaches aren't going to want this if they have better options. we'll end up with a re-tread, a total unknown flier, or damaged goods.

if you are going to do this, this year, then you better have a grand slam no-brainer ready to announce.

Here's what I do know (and if there are a lot of people like me, it will impact RG's decision):

If HCMM returns next year I won't be coming back as a season ticket holder. I sat out this year after being someone who had 3 Club the year before.

And if the Buffs lose to CSU to start the year I won't be attending many games.

However, if a big name coach was hired I'd almost certainly purchase season tix.

I am shocked. I thought you were firmly in the MacIntyre camp. I have thought for awhile that a big motivator would be to boost fan interest and a big name coach would do that. We cannot continue to draw less than 40,000 fans on average and have a viable AD. I think RG is in a tough position. The optics of another coaching buy out would not be good with college athletic hating media and faculty but can you continue to lose your fan base.

How are you guys gonna leave out my boy DJ Durkin?

Rivals recruiter of the year, check
Currently incredible defense, check
west coast ties, check
has coached under: Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Will Muschamp, and Dan Quinn
he even has ST coaching experience, ****ing KEY. He would ban Neinas for life from Dal Ward the day he's hired

and last time we hired the Michigan DC things went pretty well

I am shocked. I thought you were firmly in the MacIntyre camp. I have thought for awhile that a big motivator would be to boost fan interest and a big name coach would do that. We cannot continue to draw less than 40,000 fans on average and have a viable AD. I think RG is in a tough position. The optics of another coaching buy out would not be good with college athletic hating media and faculty but can you continue to lose your fan base.

Nah. I really wanted him to succeed. As always, I got 100% behind a coach and unconditionally supported until I saw that his plan wasn't working. (You can probably find a lot of posts by me doing that with both Hawkins and Embree, promoting the hire, and hanging on to hope after the "haters" had grown in number and found support.) I was willing to have some patience in consideration of the mess that was CU football. And I was firmly anti-reactionary toward every game/play call/press conference quote. If RG decides to bring HCMM back next year, I'm sure I'll rally and go into the season hopeful and supportive. But I won't be confident in my excitement and it won't take much failure for me to give up on his tenure completely.

west coast ties, check
he even has ST coaching experience, ****ing KEY. He would ban Neinas for life from Dal Ward the day he's hired

Shouldn't forget Durkin. He should be getting more run in all these coaching searches. I think the assumption was that the Florida defense was all about Muschamp, but now that we're seeing Muchamp's results at Auburn this year and thinking in terms of the diminishing returns he had as the DC at UT... well, I'm thinking that Durkin is the man. Maybe it's just that none of the big boys will consider a coach who is in his 30s? Worked out fine for Oklahoma State when they hired Gundy. I'd be down with Durkin.

west coast ties, check

Would not be a bad choice

You were not paying attention or were just hearing what you wanted to hear. Tressel didn't just let kids get some walking around money. Tressel was caught lying to his boss and to the NCAA. There have been enough backstories on Tressel to show he fronts as a moral character, but is real nature is that of Tom Osborne.

I don't claim to have full knowledge of the situation and am happy to be corrected.

That said, he lied to the NCAA about what? Tatoos and selling gear? So what? Frankly, I like people who lie to the NCAA. Just try to be smarter about it so you don't get caught. There is nothing immoral about the root problem, if the root problem was just tatoos and selling gear.

Most who want Mike to stay, condition it on him making changes with assistants. That ship has sailed, unless you can find an OC that was run out of CF for something and has done his time and can be accepted back in a diminished role. In other words, we aren't going to find a new OC in the offseason with the ability to turn things around. As for Neinas, getting Riddle to clinic special teams would be an improvement. No worthwhile assistant is going to want to join Mike for his swan song. I think it's time for him to go, or RG needs to make his coaching search priority one all year long, and we hope Mike doesn't implode while we look.

i can't picture a circumstance where tressel would be the next CU hc.

maybe mm will finish strong with a win over utah and we'll up our recruiting game.

i can't picture a circumstance where tressel would be the next CU hc.

maybe mm will finish strong with a win over utah and we'll up our recruiting game.

Remember when Travis Wilson committed to Utah and the Buffs went with Shane Dillon the next day? Yeah, that kinda didn't work out for us like we'd hoped.

Do we really think RG is going to fire Mac though? Seemed like that was off the table when we executed the moral victory over USC?

Getting scraped by Wazzu is always a little bit of a nut punch, but not really anything worse than that opening season nut punch followed by a couple stomps by the Rainbows while we're curled up on the ground in the fetal position.

Do we really think RG is going to fire Mac though? Seemed like that was off the table when we executed the moral victory over USC?

Getting scraped by Wazzu is always a little bit of a nut punch, but not really anything worse than that opening season nut punch followed by a couple stomps by the Rainbows while we're curled up on the ground in the fetal position.
I have no inside info, not even outside info, but I have pretty much thought since Oregon MikMac was on thin ice. I have this feeling RG said bowl or else before the season. The losses to UH (I still cannot believe the Buffs lost to that completely ****ty team) and the failure to steal the UO win made a bowl game a tough goal even at that point of the season. That would explain MikMac's dead man walking demeanor at Wazzu. But then again, he could have just had a bad burrito too, what do I know? Fact is, Syracuse canned their guy after 13-23 in year three. MikMac is 10-26. 2-24 in the P12, it isn't like it is unprecedented, and I cannot believe it is any harder to get a HC to Boulder than whatever God forsaken upstate town Syracuse is in. (Yes I know it is in Syracuse...).

I have no inside info, not even outside info, but I have pretty much thought since Oregon MikMac was on thin ice. I have this feeling RG said bowl or else before the season. The losses to UH (I still cannot believe the Buffs lost to that completely ****ty team) and the failure to steal the UO win made a bowl game a tough goal even at that point of the season. That would explain MikMac's dead man walking demeanor at Wazzu. But then again, he could have just had a bad burrito too, what do I know? Fact is, Syracuse canned their guy after 13-23 in year three. MikMac is 10-26. 2-24 in the P12, it isn't like it is unprecedented, and I cannot believe it is any harder to get a HC to Boulder than whatever God forsaken upstate town Syracuse is in. (Yes I know it is in Syracuse...).

Don't get me wrong, I think 3 years is enough in this day and age. Everyone remembers us only giving Embree two years, but how about the massive patience we gave Hawk? I think it wouldn't really have much, if any, effect on us hiring who we want. Purdue with Darrell Hazell is another one to watch. He's had a pretty similar run to Mac (1 good year at Kent State, now he's 6-29 overall with a 2-21 conference record). I think we've been more competitive than they have been, but meh.

let it play out--- rg seems pretty competent. if he quietly ascertain that a guy like miles would come, then you pull the trigger. given all the open jobs, i'd be leery of doing anything concrete unless i had a clear and exciting replacement ready to go. a big name will generate ticket sales, donations, interest, tv games, and a recruiting boost. a "who?" name doesn't move us forward and might move us backward as we continue to be identified as a coaching graveyard.

I agree with this.

A "who?" hire enforces the perception that CU is just a "who?" program.

This. All of it.

We all keep talking that Mac has to win and get to a bowl in 2016. So okay - looking at next year's schedule, what games does everyone think we we will win? Be realistic.
I honestly see 4 wins max.

We all keep talking that Mac has to win and get to a bowl in 2016. So okay - looking at next year's schedule, what games does everyone think we we will win? Be realistic.
I honestly see 4 wins max.
Idaho
Csu
Oregon state (they are going winless in conference this year. We should beat them again, especially at home)
@arizona (not confident that rich rod can get them rolling again)
Ucla (we are finally gonna beat these ****ers)
Utah (lose a TON to graduation)

MM is the coach until he isn't.

Him returning won't make me give up my tickets. I'll be back next year regardless. Eventually, this boat will get turned in the right direction and I want to be on board when it does. I don't care who the coach is, but like I said, until there's a change, he is the guy and Im not getting into speculation as to who his replacement will be.

My last season as a season ticket holder was 2007. This was for good reason as my oldest started soccer that year, Soccer ended for us 2 years ago and I simply see no reason to reinvest.

We couldnt even get tier 2 coaches to take our phone calls last time and you ****ers think we're gonna get one of these top guys if we fire mm? Out of your minds.

We couldnt even get tier 2 coaches to take our phone calls last time and you ****ers think we're gonna get one of these top guys if we fire mm? Out of your minds.
Things are very different this time around. Rick George > Mike Bohn. And we have first class facilities instead of a claim that we will one day have first class facilities. And we're bad, but not "worst P5 team in the country bad" like we were after Embree. We can attract a name coach now if we are willing to spend. The right guy can get us to a bowl game next year. Obviously it helps with Les Miles that he's been here and he knows how great Boulder is. I trust RG to sell the school to whomever he may decide to target whether it's this year or next.

Les Miles would be awesome but I think that's a pipe dream. But if we did get Miles, I think we'd have a top 10 recruiting class within a year. D.J. Durkin would be another awesome choice but also would be a long shot, he's probably going to have a lot more attractive options than us to pick from. Jim Leavitt would make me excited and would probably be a lock to take the job, if offered. Giving MM another year feels to me like it would be a deja vu of Hawkins' lame duck year. These constant close losses would be a lot easier for me to stomach if we were actually recruiting well. But we're not... at all.

So yeah we have a lot of close losses, but what indications are there that these will start turning into close wins? Will they just magically start to happen? The Pac 12 is severely down this year and yet we've only won one conference game. I think if we had last year's team with this year's schedule, we'd be going bowling this season

MM is the coach until he isn't.

Him returning won't make me give up my tickets. I'll be back next year regardless. Eventually, this boat will get turned in the right direction and I want to be on board when it does. I don't care who the coach is, but like I said, until there's a change, he is the guy and Im not getting into speculation as to who his replacement will be.
Hard to turn boat in right direction if this has already happened.....

ship-o.gif

Back