What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

i seriously don't even know what to say about "overkicking" in practice

You are probably thinking if the second kicking travesty, IMO. After benching Goodman for about 3 seconds, and throwing an unprepared freshman out there for a single field goal attempt the previous week, Riddle was asked who would be starting kicker the next week against Baylor. He responded that there would be (as usual) a week-long competition for starting kicker.

Less than an hour later, in a press conference, Hawkins stated that Marcus Kirkwood would be the starter, which took both Riddle and Kirkwood by surprise. The following week, Kirkwood was made available for media interviews, was videotaped for a profile on cubuffs.com, and acknowledged as the starting kicker after sitting on the bench for a year and a half behind Goodman.

Finally, the game arrives, and it's Marcus Kirkwood shown as starting placekicker on the jumbotron before the game for the first time. We score a touchdown, and Kirkwood trots out to make the extra point. But what's this? He's standing there bewildered as Cody throws an attempted two-point conversion, which failed. Kirkwood has no idea that this is coming, and is on the field looking around trying to decipher what happened.

Okay. Trick play on the xp and they forgot to tell the kicker. Oops. What happened next? Goodman went back in for the rest of the game. The entire week-long build up was BS. Kirkwood never saw the field again in 2010 - and you can hardly blame it on his game-time performance, he didn't get a chance to show us whether or not he could make the kick.

After the game, Kensler posted this:

Fuuuuuuuuuckuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This is why Benson, Distephano and Bohn should be fired. To have the schools flagship sport be run into the ground by these morons for 5r years is inexcusable. How is it that no one in the Admin had the pulse of the team and what was going on?

Fuuuuuuuuuckuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This is why Benson, Distephano and Bohn should be fired. To have the schools flagship sport be run into the ground by these morons for 5r years is inexcusable. How is it that no one in the Admin had the pulse of the team and what was going on?

I have zero inside information, really. But here's my hunch. Le guess educate', if you will.

CU was toying with being dead last in our kicking stats; hovering around 110th out of 120 teams. Someone (Benson, Distephano and Bohn?) told the coach you WILL try another kicker. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Goodman misses a few more field goals and patience runs thin again. He is told he MUST try one of the other guys.

So even though Kirkwood is second on the depth chart, he sends out Justin Castor (who was third string and had no idea he might go in, totally unprepared for it.) Coach shrugs his shoulders after the blocked attempt and says, "well, see what I mean?" Point proven, he returns Goodman to the starting lineup for the rest of the game.

And the next week, under pressure again, he sends out Kirkwood in the pretend XP attempt, so he can say "Okay, I did what you told me: I tried another kicker. Satisfied?"

Never in my life have I been so cynical as I am now, but that's my thought as to what happened.

We keep hearing: why so many scholarship kickers? Why not try to find a walk-on? Well, if you were a decent kicker, and watched how Ryan Aweida, Marcus Kirkwood and a host of others were treated ... would you want to spend all that time working out and practicing with the team only to sit on the bench? Our recent history does not indicate that a walk-on is going to get a fair shake, so why bother?

Meanwhile, the Corn's last walk-on kicker beat out the scholarshipped starter, won a couple games for them, ending up with a scholarship and is now playing in the senior bowl. You can bet it will be easier for the little school on the prairie to convince another soccer player to give his leg to the team, because there's always a chance for a happy ending. CU has a ways to go.

To me, Hawk's treatment of kickers was symptomatic of his overall lack of concern for special teams. I really don't think he had the first idea of how important special teams is to the actual game. He thought football was offense and defense. Special teams was a very minor part of the game and wasn't important enough to warrant any real attention as far as he was concerned. I often go back to the "clinic" quote as evidence of this. I mean really, who in their right mind would make that kind of claim?

sacky, Imma let you finish. But Kent Riddle is the greatest special teams coach of all time. Of all time!

We did something in baseball to strengthen the arms. "Long throws" -- start at a distance and both people continued to move back until your throws were landing just short, then you threw some more. Only did that about once every 7-10 days, and only before the season. I think the time in between (rest?) was one of the keys to improvement.

Kind of applies here. Seems like the k's weren't given enough recovery time.

Back