What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I think we go 4-8 in 2014

RESEARCH? Seriously, after the atrocious defense everyone but YOU clearly witnessed every saturday last season? Reality is something you've never done here.

Yet you refuse to acknowledge improvement, which happens and we saw it happen. You can continue to be negative, but the stats show improvement and year two usually involves a good amount of improvement (just off the top of my head Leach at Wazzu). I'm far from the only one who believes we will see a big jump in our defense this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet you refuse to acknowledge improvement, which happens and we saw it happen. You can continue to be negative, but the stats show improvement and year two usually involves a good amount of improvement (just off the top of my head Leach at Wazzu). I'm far from the only one who believes we will see a big jump in our defense this year.

Not saying you're wrong here, but Gary Barnett felt that year 2 of the transition was the toughest.

Not saying you're wrong here, but Gary Barnett felt that year 2 of the transition was the toughest.

It very well may be, but that doesn't mean there's not significant progress. Both are small sample sizes, but Kill at Minny went 3-9 his first year then went 6-7 his second. Leach did the same at Wazzu.

What improvement did you see in pass defense? Pass rush? Big jump? Based on what? Just asking for proof of your big jump conclusions. Negative to you, stating what i saw lastyear and the previous 7 years.

I do think that we will be better this year but to think we are going to be a lot better ignores some simple to see realities.

Good teams almost always have some experienced leadership. Last years team didn't have much but it lost much of what it did have. We will be more athletic at most postions but will still be at a dissadvantage athletically to most of the teams we play and we lost most of the guys like PRich and CUD who were among the few who we could say would play for most of the other teams in the league.

The defense was a lot better last year than the year before but that only points to how truly bad we were before. We still gave up about 40 points a game in conference which matched with our offense isn't going to win you many games. At least last year our opponents had to work a little harder and longer before they took the foot off the gas against us.

Bottom line is that we can and should be a better team this year and last. Unfortunately we were so far behind to start with that the improvement still leaves us far behind the teams we are chasing.

What improvement did you see in pass defense? Pass rush? Big jump? Based on what? Just asking for proof of your big jump conclusions. Negative to you, stating what i saw lastyear and the previous 7 years.
attachment.php

Still a long way to go but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic with the defense in 2014

I see 3 we should win, 4 we could win and 5 that we are not likely to win. One of the 4 is ASU which is a really border line "could win." I have USC as a likely loss but they are changing staff, so there is that.

Last edited:
I see 3 we should win, 4 we could win and 5 that we are not likely to win. One of the 4 is ASU which is a really border line "could win."

The hell are you talking about?

Should win:
CSU
Hawaii
UMass
Utah

Could win:
Cal
Oregon State
Washington

Slim chance:
Arizona
Arizona State

Extremely low chance:
USC
UCLA
Oregon

Games we have to win: CSU, UMass, Hawaii
Games we should win: Cal & Utah
Games we should get a win from: UW & Zona (lose starting QB and RB)
Very outside shot against OSU but don't see it.
The others would be HUGE upsets and little to no chance.

We will have a much better chance of beating OSU than we will Zona

Mannion tore CU apart. I look at the QB angle of it and the skill players. Cooks is a big loss but QBs find other RECs to throw to.

I should have grouped both Zona and OSU together. Don't like our chances much in either but we shall see.

Despite? WTF???

Oddly, 'tini missed the obvious: Yeah, he really improved the 2nd half of the year but precisely because he played behind a senior O-Line, had an excellent back for their run game in Bibbs and huge targets in Gilmore and that other TE Brown---ALL OF WHOM ARE NOW GONE!

And you don't even mention that CSU's best defender, MWC Defensive POY Barrett and all three of his mates on their D-Line, also used up their eligibility......

Are we agreed it starts in the trenches? If so, CSU is down 8 of 9 starters on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, counter-intuitive I know, but expect the RB Alexander to have his big season next year and the young WRs are good. CU's defense is going to be bad again and if Grayson gets just a bit of time to throw he's capable of having a big game. I look for CSU to plug most of the holes of the departed guys pretty well. We'll see when the game is played.

Yeah, counter-intuitive I know, but expect the RB Alexander to have his big season next year and the young WRs are good. CU's defense is going to be bad again and if Grayson gets just a bit of time to throw he's capable of having a big game. I look for CSU to plug most of the holes of the departed guys pretty well. We'll see when the game is played.

You're acting like its easy replacing every single playmaker they had on both sides of the ball. Why is our defense going to be bad again? Sorry but your post is awful on almost all fronts.

You're acting like its easy replacing every single playmaker they had on both sides of the ball. Why is our defense going to be bad again? Sorry but your post is awful on almost all fronts.

They return their #1 and #2 QBs and their best WR. Alexander is at least as good as any RB the Buffs have, and that's being kind to the Buffs. I didn't predict a CSU win, just said the game isn't a gimme for CU. For what CSU is I think their roster has more practical depth than ours, and they've shown some skill over the past few years in signing JUCOs who contribute quickly. I used to hate that we played them, but lately I've started liking the game just because lots of folks on both sides gets so gakked up about it.

I don't see Utah as a sure win. I'd say we will probably be the favorite if you were to give odds today.

CSU loses their strength in their OL and part of the reason Bibbs is leaving. Not to mention the two Shaq's and TEs. CU will handle CSU. Saying they have more depth is idiotic. There is a reason their JUCOs go there and not a BCS school, they are average. Buffs 34-17

Last edited:
They return their #1 and #2 QBs and their best WR. Alexander is at least as good as any RB the Buffs have, and that's being kind to the Buffs. I didn't predict a CSU win, just said the game isn't a gimme for CU. For what CSU is I think their roster has more practical depth than ours, and they've shown some skill over the past few years in signing JUCOs who contribute quickly. I used to hate that we played them, but lately I've started liking the game just because lots of folks on both sides gets so gakked up about it.
JUCOs that contribute quickly like Tonga? How is Alexander at least as good as anything we have? Please, please, please, please, please don't say because he averaged 6.0 YPC last year. CSU has to replace FOUR of their starting OL, plus Bibbs, plus Gillmore. They have to replace FOUR starters on the DL and one safety. Why are you acting like that's no problem, much less in the FIRST game of the season. I also like that you're talking up Grayson, who did pretty much nothing against us, same with their WRs. You sure are talking up a lot of players who haven't done anything against us. The only reason the game last year was remotely close was because of two special team **** ups. Our wonderful DL held them to 94 yards of total rushing and our wonderful secondary held CSU to 201 total yards passing...not even mentioning that it was MacIntyre's FIRST game coaching at CU. You're being extremely delusional if you don't think CSU is going to really struggle against us to move the ball. Sorry you don't replace four 1st team all-MWC players (six total including 1st and 2nd teams) on a MWC team and turn around and have no issues in your first game with a new OL consisting of 80% new starters. With an much improved defense in MacIntyre's second year I wouldn't hesitate at all to put the O/U on CSU's points at 7.5.

Last edited:
Mannion tore CU apart. I look at the QB angle of it and the skill players. Cooks is a big loss but QBs find other RECs to throw to.

I should have grouped both Zona and OSU together. Don't like our chances much in either but we shall see.

Look at the mental aspect of that game: Despite three weeks off, compounded by the mentally debilitating impact of an unprecedented flood in Boulder, the Buffs go on the road and hang with OSU for most of the first half, in crappy weather, despite a change in CU QBs (e.g. one the upperclass "leaders"---Wood---effectively "folded up his tent!"). It was in the second half that the Buff wore down badly particularly after Daigh's ST play. And then, too, Reid left Mannion and Cooks in until well into the 4th qtr. to really pad their stats against an already beaten CU bunch. Circumstance hardly qualifies as "torn apart" by Mannion.

The key play in that game (other than Daigh's fubar on that KO) occurred on that long fifty-fifty Mannion ball thrown to Cooks on their first TD. That one was up for grabs, with Crawley in perfect position for a pick, then the ghost of Greg Brown bit him in the butt and he allowed Cooks to make that catch; OSU goes on to score. If the pick is made, who knows how Mannion reacts to it? Or the Buffs "D"?

-Road vs. Home (not sure why people continue to value home and road games the same when predicting games)
-OSU had no running game last year
-Cooks is gone leaving a big void
-First half was a close game, folded in the 2nd half

It's amazing how after giving up nearly 40 pts a game in conference, all of a sudden cu is going to make a big jump on defense. CU is the only team who will improve while the rest lose key players. Great logic every off-season.

It's amazing how after giving up nearly 40 pts a game in conference, all of a sudden cu is going to make a big jump on defense. CU is the only team who will improve while the rest lose key players. Great logic every off-season.

Alright I guess you're not open to being reasonable. Go read Duff's thread on it, Nik lays it out nicely.

Tini, you are being unreasonable too. You don't seriously believe we keep CSU in the single digits, do you?

Does CSU have another one of those years where they replace all their lost lineman with Juniors and other guys with plenty of experience? For years it has seemed like CSU has had so much more depth on the oline than us (who hasn't).

It sure seems like our D should be better, but I'd also like to see if our DC can come up with some better game plans too. He was probably limited due to his personnel last year, but sometimes what we were doing seemed a bit questionable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tini, you are being unreasonable too. You don't seriously believe we keep CSU in the single digits, do you?

I think it's very possible that our DL makes it tough for them to run the ball (Tupuo) and I'm not too high on their WRs or Grayson. We held them to 3 points in 2010 so it's not unheard of, although certainly not common. Looking back that number may be a bit low, and maybe a number like 12.5 would be better but I think they'd be hard pressed to score more than 14.

Back