What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If 2 B12 teams went to the Pac-10

Yeah, yeah yeah... I know, **** me. Ok.

As for the OP, I would choose Oklahoma. We have a quasi-healthy love/hate relationship with them, they're a decent school in a town not too dissimilar to Boulder and would bring a healthy amount of TV sets from Oklahoma AND Dallas. Plus, they aren't a conference killer like UT is. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if UT ends up being the "other" team, I'd be dead set against the move.

But Oklahoma is not a research institution, although the pac-10 might overlook that to get a program like Oklahoma in the pac

The CSU talk is interesting.

Revise my earlier post:

If it's the Pac 12: CU and Utah.

North: CU, Utah, UW, WSU, OU, OSU
South: Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, ASU, UofA

If it's the Pac 14: CU, CSU, Utah and New Mexico.

North: CSU
South: New Mexico

At this point you are just adding teams just to add teams. I don't think NM and CSU brings enough to the table to warrant breaking up the $$$$ kitty even further imho

I'm going to catch all kinds of hell for this, but in my perfect world, the school that goes with CU to the Pac 10 would be...

CSU. :ahhhhh:

Before you jump all over me, I fully understand the weaknesses CSU brings to the table. Frankly, they do little for the conference other than locking down the Denver TV market. From my own personal perspective, it would be convenient to have another Colorado state school in the mix of the Pac 12. Games against the goats would mean something for both schools, and college football in Colorado would really start to mean something again.

And I also know that it will never happen.

I'd rather see CSU take CU's spot in the Big12

At this point you are just adding teams just to add teams. I don't think NM and CSU brings enough to the table to warrant breaking up the $$$$ kitty even further imho

Maybe. New Mexico adds TVs and a Top 30 basketball program. Could be a worthy investment. CSU may not be a good idea.

As far as the structure for a "West of the Mississippi" superconference, someone posted a plan that had been circulating which had little chance of happening but would be very interesting:

14-Team Conference

Pac-10 drops Washington State.

Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M join. Then you have 2 divisions, with the Eastern having the new schools plus the 2 from AZ and the Western having the other 7 schools from the Pac. That conference would make a fortune while controlling recruiting in Texas and California (plus a number of western states that produce 10-30 BCS caliber prospects a year). It won't happen, but it should.

I am curious. What do people think that Texas has destroyed in the Big 12? I keep hearing this but I am wondering what are the facts to back this up?

I've been wondering that too. Maybe I just don't have that UT hate that alot of people do. :huh:

No way CSU gets an invite to the Pac-10 because they wouldn't bring anything more than CU would. Bringing in CU would get the Pac-10 the Denver market, and that's what they're after. As as has been mentioned, the Pac-10 can't be too thrilled with a 35K seat stadium that they can only half fill. And their basketball program is weak at best. If Utah couldn't go as the 2nd school with CU because of political reasons involving BYU, then I really think that UNM would be their next choice due to the size of the Albuquerque market. This is all assuming that UT wouldn't make the jump to the Pac-10.

Lastly, the Pac-10 has no interest in UNLV, so can we please quit bringing them up as a possible candidate?

To the OP, it's gotta be Texas. That would be one helluva coup for any conference to steal that cash juggernaut.

I'll say it again, I don't want any part of moving to the Pac 10 if the whorns are coming with us. They've killed two conferences so far. I don't want to be part of the next conference they kill. Texas is like a virus. They go into places and kill everything there before moving on to the next victim.

I'd want Texas, for selfish reasons. Convenient for scheduling trips back home around CU road games, and could get friends to visit up here for the Texas road games. Should fortunes change over the years would love to have the CU bragging rights back that I haven't been able to pull out in football since '01. If not them A&M, to keep a little rivalry with my parents going.

if it has to be another b12 team that comes with us and we put aside all the considerations of academics, tv market, etc., then i'd vote ou to come with us. they annoy me far less than texasss and it would have the added benefit of rubbing the fuskers' faces in the dirt.

if it has to be another b12 team that comes with us and we put aside all the considerations of academics, tv market, etc., then i'd vote ou to come with us. they annoy me far less than texasss and it would have the added benefit of rubbing the fuskers' faces in the dirt.

You realize the OU tv market includes not only OKC, but Tulsa and Dallas as well? In many ways, OU would bring more TV sets than UT would.

@sack... ok, i am sold! boomer sooner!

they'd have to give up some of their er, uh, um "flexibility" concerning the rules... :lol:

Maybe. New Mexico adds TVs and a Top 30 basketball program. Could be a worthy investment. CSU may not be a good idea.

As far as the structure for a "West of the Mississippi" superconference, someone posted a plan that had been circulating which had little chance of happening but would be very interesting:

14-Team Conference

Pac-10 drops Washington State.

Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M join. Then you have 2 divisions, with the Eastern having the new schools plus the 2 from AZ and the Western having the other 7 schools from the Pac. That conference would make a fortune while controlling recruiting in Texas and California (plus a number of western states that produce 10-30 BCS caliber prospects a year). It won't happen, but it should.

Pac-10 dropping WSU, music to my ears.

You realize the OU tv market includes not only OKC, but Tulsa and Dallas as well? In many ways, OU would bring more TV sets than UT would.

That is interesting, I hear that Dallas, is a Oklahoma town only after Texas, but this is the first that I heard that Oklahoma would bring more tv sets than Texas.

That is interesting, I hear that Dallas, is a Oklahoma town only after Texas, but this is the first that I heard that Oklahoma would bring more tv sets than Texas.

Well say they split the Dallas market, plus OU gets most of Oklahoma's market. I don't think there are many Texas fans in Oklahoma. Makes sense to me.

I don't buy that at all. UT owns every market in Texas. Houston is a bit of a fight since that's where most of the A&M fans/alums are.

However, after UT and A&M, OU would likely be a solid No. 3 in that market.

I don't buy that at all. UT owns every market in Texas. Houston is a bit of a fight since that's where most of the A&M fans/alums are.

Some good points here, Even more reason why a Houston/TCU inclusion to the Pac-10 would not really deliver us the Texas Market, as they are usually the 4th/5th choice in their own city.

What CSU does have going for it is its academics. I know it sounds weird, but they are on par with Utah, which puts them ahead of most of the MWC Conference and at least a handful of the Pac 10 schools already.

I know this thread is inquiring about a Big XII mate to join CU, but I have a question about Utah. Would UU be a good cultural fit in the Pac? I know UU is more liberal than BYU, but UU still has to be 50-75% Morman, right? But then there may be that laid-back, ski attitude from Snowbird/Alta and the like to mellow out UU's campus. Any thoughts?

What CSU does have going for it is its academics. I know it sounds weird, but they are on par with Utah, which puts them ahead of most of the MWC Conference and at least a handful of the Pac 10 schools already.

I know this thread is inquiring about a Big XII mate to join CU, but I have a question about Utah. Would UU be a good cultural fit in the Pac? I know UU is more liberal than BYU, but UU still has to be 50-75% Morman, right? But then there may be that laid-back, ski attitude from Snowbird/Alta and the like to mellow out UU's campus. Any thoughts?

Interesting question, I think Utah is considered culturally the better fit out of UTAH. I think in terms of culturally the only two that are 100% fits are Texas and Colorado. I think it has more to do with getting that SLC DMA.

Another question since you guys are closer to Texas, If the Pac-10 wanted Texas, I am assume they have to take A&M to come along correct? Would they also have to take Tech and Baylor too? From what I was reading, back when the Big 12 formed. Baylor basically got in because of heavy lobbying by some powerful political people (Governor?). Not sure why Baylor got the sweet deal, and teams like Rice, Houston, SMU, TCU etc got a raw deal.

I never said that OU would bring more TV sets than UT (or at least I didn't mean to say that). What I meant to say was that OU brings a lot of TV sets in several markets. Dallas would definitely be "in the footprint", if OU were in the Pac 10, as would Tulsa and OKC. Houston, Austin, San Antonio would not be, though. I think those three cities, plus the Dallas "half", would give UT more sets than OU. It's just not a huge disparity, is all.

Probably a really convoluted way of saying it, sorry.

Another question since you guys are closer to Texas, If the Pac-10 wanted Texas, I am assume they have to take A&M to come along correct? Would they also have to take Tech and Baylor too? From what I was reading, back when the Big 12 formed. Baylor basically got in because of heavy lobbying by some powerful political people (Governor?). Not sure why Baylor got the sweet deal, and teams like Rice, Houston, SMU, TCU etc got a raw deal.

Interesting as I didn't follow the conference shifts back then, but the governor in office now is a former student of A&M, and bandwagons the hell out of anything national UT athletics does. I think the "big two" would have more power now and the other schools are likely a minority in the state houses. Especially Tech.

You think OU would be #3 in Dallas? Not all of Texas, that part I understand. But I would think that Dallas would be about 50/50 between OU and UT. Then add in the OKC and Tulsa markets and to my way of thinking, OU would be a great fit in the Pac 12 with CU. Forget Utah, let's bring the Sooners with us.

Bah - it's nothing more than another pipe dream.

I'm not sure if the Pac-10 would want to have Texas A&M in with Texas. A&M's culture would not mesh with the Pac-10 schools very well. Since I have family in Texas who live just minutes away from the A&M campus and know some stuff about A&M, I can't see A&M being in the Pac-10. UT and CU would fit fine in the Pac-10 but for the Pac-10's sake, I'd not even try to woo UT...it's not worth it.

So here is an interesting theory...the Big 10 and the Pac 10 probably have the closest working relationship of any of the major conferences due to their longevity and history together. We know both of them would love to get their claws into the TX television market, and being able to destroy one of the 4 top power conferences would be a nice bonus. The only way TX gets to go anywhere without TAMU is if TAMU has a nice soft landing in another power conference already arranged. What if they actually came up with an agreement that splits the TX schools, one to the Big 10 and one to the Pac 10. Might be tough to work since both would obviously prefer Austin. However, under that arrangement you only have one TX school in each conference so its tough for them to dominate the conference but each conference gets a piece of the TX mega-media market pie. Both schools have the academics for either conference, though if Stanford voted down TX in the past TAMU is probably a tougher pill to swallow. This would also have the added bonus of the "chance" for a TX/TAMU Rose Bowl (that would just be weird).

The only other thing that might work is if to get free TX works a backroom deal that gets TAMU and say OK into the SEC, along with an in perpetuity OOC game agreement...which might be a better fit anyways given both schools histories of "creative" rule interpretation. Although I'm not sure TX would actually want that. I think TX wants to avoid a TAMU to the SEC arrangement because they would no longer have their thumb on TAMU's back and it might provide a path back to TAMU dominance.

the big 8 invited texas and texas a&m. governor ann richards of texas (a baylor alum) and others threatened to block the deal unless baylor and ttech were also included. that's how it happened.

it is very possible that texas would have a hard time going anywhere without texas a&m. i don't know if the political will would be there to force baylor and tech again... but, who knows?

I'm not sure if the Pac-10 would want to have Texas A&M in with Texas. A&M's culture would not mesh with the Pac-10 schools very well. Since I have family in Texas who live just minutes away from the A&M campus and know some stuff about A&M, I can't see A&M being in the Pac-10. UT and CU would fit fine in the Pac-10 but for the Pac-10's sake, I'd not even try to woo UT...it's not worth it.

While I think that A&M being a military tie in and more of a conservative school would be a hinderance, I think it would work, especially if that is what it takes for Texas to come along.

I asked the question in another thread also - but is there a single school that would bring the entire Dallas market with it to another conference? Needless to say, whatever school that is (I'm guessing it's UT) would undoubtedly have the most attraction to another conference that is looking to expand.

lol. Sorry, but NU academics are a joke. You guys might as well go get Fresno St. Culture? If tractors, overalls and tooth gaps count as culture then, yes, NU has some. Didn't you see the red menace at the Rose Bowl in '01? You really want that out west 4-5 times a year?

No flame here, but I find it somewhat of a joke to read things like this from fans of other teams who probably have no direct experience with the academic challenges at the school they are spouting off about.

The comments about "tractors, overalls and tooth gaps" only shows me insecurity and ignorance. I just laugh about it just the same.

But to the point of the thread: I don't think NU would be a good fit for the P10 and wouldn't make the move if asked to join the conference.

No flame here, but I find it somewhat of a joke to read things like this from fans of other teams who probably have no direct experience with the academic challenges at the school they are spouting off about.

The comments about "tractors, overalls and tooth gaps" only shows me insecurity and ignorance. I just laugh about it just the same.

But to the point of the thread: I don't think NU would be a good fit for the P10 and wouldn't make the move if asked to join the conference.

It wouldn't be their first choice, but if its a situation where the Big 10 was taking TX and Mizzou and TAMU and OK wormed their way into the SEC you could count on the fact that they'd be all over the CU and PAC10 boards arguing that they were the logical school to take with CU rather than Utah due to their "longstanding and important historical rivalry with us" lol. Actually, under that scenario I would have a tough time believing that the PAC 10 wouldn't scoop up both NU and KU, as well as Utah. That'd be a pretty damn good conference with a lot of TV appeal. Travel is already going to be a pain, and its only like an extra half hour - 40 mins of flight time to NU or KU. You know the bugeaters would travel well no matter where they were playing.

Back