What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If I were Hawkins

first off, there is no decent evidence that he can, in fact, COACH at this level. go check his resume and then get back to me about his credentials.

second, he's now the statistically worst coach over a 4 year span in the history of CU football. that speaks for itself, bro. that's just a fact.

third, while i have been willing to tolerate a lot of his bull**** on the theory that he just cannot help himself, his recent attack against gb pisses me off to no end. "burned to the ground"???? really, dan? gb won the b12north 4 of his last 5 years and he won a b12 title. he also won 2 b10 titles at ****ing northwestern of all places. he was AP national coach of the year, TWICE. gb has forgotten more about coaching than danno will ever know. gb had to go. it was time. but, blaming him after 4 ****ing years of pure ****ing ineptitude is cowardly. by the way, these bean-counting bitches taking credit for the increased grad rates ought to look whose recruiting classes had a higher apr and grad rate. ****heads.

hawkins does, in fact, need to shut his ****ing mouth and try to learn to coach in the bigs.

first off, there is no decent evidence that he can, in fact, COACH at this level. go check his resume and then get back to me about his credentials.

second, he's now the statistically worst coach over a 4 year span in the history of CU football. that speaks for itself, bro. that's just a fact.

third, while i have been willing to tolerate a lot of his bull**** on the theory that he just cannot help himself, his recent attack against gb pisses me off to no end. "burned to the ground"???? really, dan? gb won the b12north 4 of his last 5 years and he won a b12 title. he also won 2 b10 titles at ****ing northwestern of all places. he was AP national coach of the year, TWICE. gb has forgotten more about coaching than danno will ever know. gb had to go. it was time. but, blaming him after 4 ****ing years of pure ****ing ineptitude is cowardly. by the way, these bean-counting bitches taking credit for the increased grad rates ought to look whose recruiting classes had a higher apr and grad rate. ****heads.

hawkins does, in fact, need to shut his ****ing mouth and try to learn to coach in the bigs.

Sums it up quite nicely.

My take on the "burned to the ground" thing was regarding the scandal and the perception that CU was out of control. I don't think he mean his statement as a shot at GB. The national perception of CU was bad. I think that is what he meant. My problem is that he should have made it clear that that is what he meant. He kind of gets into word games too much for his own good. Listen, I think he's a good guy. But his manner of speech turns people off. So, my point is that he needs to stop talking and start doing. And I think he can get it done.

Didn't he say it was burned down in every way possible? Sounds like a direct jab at what he inherited in terms of a team. Comments like this make me believe Hawk is a lowly person that isn't afraid to blame his shortcomings on others.

Didn't he say it was burned down in every way possible? Sounds like a direct jab at what he inherited in terms of a team. Comments like this make me believe Hawk is a lowly person that isn't afraid to blame his shortcomings on others.
I'd like to see the exact quote again, but I think he said something to the effect of "burned down in every way possible in some areas" or something. Anyway, I took it to be referring to the scandal and the public perception of the team. But that is my biggest problem with Hawkins. He tries to get too cute with words. And it burns his ass. Like the "This is the Big XII" thing. He was joking when he said it, but the preception is that he is a loose cannon. That is why I think he should just learn to keep his mouth shut. Or, at least, measure his words before he speaks.

I'd like to see the exact quote again, but I think he said something to the effect of "burned down in every way possible in some areas" or something. Anyway, I took it to be referring to the scandal and the public perception of the team. But that is my biggest problem with Hawkins. He tries to get too cute with words. And it burns his ass. Like the "This is the Big XII" thing. He was joking when he said it, but the preception is that he is a loose cannon. That is why I think he should just learn to keep his mouth shut. Or, at least, measure his words before he speaks.

Nope. The exact quote: "You guys know, this place was burned to the ground. It was burned to the ground in every way." There was no qualifier of "in some areas." There was no mention or indication of strictly off the field perception, he said "...in every way." That's a damn broad statement if you only mean in regards to off the field activities/perceptions.

If you want, you can listen/watch the whole thing, but to get the statements from the horse's ass's mouth, fast forward to the 5 minute mark in the video. http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204782556

While we're on the topic, how do you know he was joking about the "This is the Big XII" thing?

There are 120 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams. Colorado ranked 118th in penalties committed, 117th in sacks allowed and punt returns, 113th in rushing offense and net punting, 111th in passing efficiency and 108th in total offense.

still smoldering

If I were Hawk:

1. I'd resign and spend the rest of my coaching career trying to convince people I didn't keep cashing a huge paycheck when it was clear I was over my head.

2. I'd shut my mouth about my time at Colorado except to say: "I appreciate the opportunity and the the people who I worked with, I just regret we didn't have more success".

3. I'd be thankful I would never have to have a colonoscopy, since I would have had my head so far up my ass, for so long, I could simply describe the colon to my doc without the use of an instrument.

:lol::lol:

113th in rushing. 113th. That is terrible. That is worse than a lot of teams who run a true spread.

113th in rushing. 113th. That is terrible. That is worse than a lot of teams who run a true spread.

It was supposed to be our strength this year. If you would have asked fans going into this season if they thought we'd be a top 10 rushing team, or bottom ten, they would have overwhelmingly predicted the former. Not just because we're optimists, but because it seemed more likely. 113th? **** me.

Agree with what most have already said. If I were Hawkins, I'd shut my mouth a bit more, not insult the fans or their intelligence, stop saying bs after losses like "if we could just change 3-4 plays", stop making it sound like you're the only coach "trying to do it the right way". You chose to come to Boulder, stop making it sound like this was the worst spot in the world to end up. Hold your assistant coaches responsible, and take some blame once in a while.

And finally, get a decent haircut/style.

If I were Hawk:

1. I'd resign and spend the rest of my coaching career trying to convince people I didn't keep cashing a huge paycheck when it was clear I was over my head.

2. I'd shut my mouth about my time at Colorado except to say: "I appreciate the opportunity and the the people who I worked with, I just regret we didn't have more success".

3. I'd be thankful I would never have to have a colonoscopy, since I would have had my head so far up my ass, for so long, I could simply describe the colon to my doc without the use of an instrument.

:rofl2:

Someone is actually defending the "burned to the ground comment"? Wow. That statement was clearly a statement to absolve himself from any criticism. Then to top things off, he tried to get the media to play along by starting it off with "You guys know..." Thankfully, it appears that most of the media is no longer buying Hawkins' bull**** at face value.

I think it also important to add that Hawkins is always talking about what everyone else needs to do for the program to be successful. The fans have to be better. The AD has to better. I am really starting to wonder why so many think this guy is such a great guy. He is an egomaniac to the nth degree.

Nope. The exact quote: "You guys know, this place was burned to the ground. It was burned to the ground in every way." There was no qualifier of "in some areas." There was no mention or indication of strictly off the field perception, he said "...in every way." That's a damn broad statement if you only mean in regards to off the field activities/perceptions.

If you want, you can listen/watch the whole thing, but to get the statements from the horse's ass's mouth, fast forward to the 5 minute mark in the video. http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204782556

While we're on the topic, how do you know he was joking about the "This is the Big XII" thing?

OK, can't listen so will take your word for it. At any rate, that is the point of my thread. He suffers from "foot-in-mouth" disease. As for as "how do (I) know?" Two things, Hawkins said he was and that he was laughing when he said it. The other is that several reporters that were there, including Jim Armstrong, said that he was joking.

Lets not forget the Dannyboy recorded his signature win, and his best season at CU, in year 2 with GBs players. Who, after this year, will pretty much all be gone. How good has he been in year 3 and 4? :lol:

Last edited:
I think everyone close to Hawk should be telling him to shut his mouth this offseason. Nobody buys the excuse that the program was in shambles before he got here, nobody wants to hear about 10 plays and a bowl game, I certainly don't even want to hear him talk about 10 wins next season. One game at a time Dan.

There are 120 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams. Colorado ranked 118th in penalties committed, 117th in sacks allowed and punt returns, 113th in rushing offense and net punting, 111th in passing efficiency and 108th in total offense.

still smoldering
Stats dont always tell the whole story but, in this case, they absolutely do. That is our season in a nutshell. Honestly, with numbers that bad, its amazing we won 3 games. I dont really care what Hawk says about youth or whatever else. The numbers above are a joke and inexcusable at CU.

As for as "how do (I) know?" Two things, Hawkins said he was and that he was laughing when he said it. The other is that several reporters that were there, including Jim Armstrong, said that he was joking.

Are we talking about the same "Go play Intramurals brother!" rant? 'Cause I just re-listened to it and there's no laughing, no humor in it. Can you provide me the extended version where he is? And can you provide any kind of quote, link, whatever from Armstrong or any of the writers that were in attendance stating that he was joking?

Are we talking about the same "Go play Intramurals brother!" rant? 'Cause I just re-listened to it and there's no laughing, no humor in it. Can you provide me the extended version where he is? And can you provide any kind of quote, link, whatever from Armstrong or any of the writers that were in attendance stating that he was joking?

Can you find video of it? Because I'm pretty sure in the video I've seen he is smiling and looks like he's joking, at least somewhat. It may not come across in the straight audio, though. I have definitely always understood that there was at least some humor to the whole thing from the time it happened...

I'd like to see Hawk act more like this in the future:

"We did the things that quite honestly 3-7 teams do in the fourth quarter of the game: penalties, turnovers, let them run the ball, big plays allowed," Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said of a team that fell to 5-6. "That's not acceptable."

"Twenty-four to nothing in the fourth quarter to a team that was having trouble finishing themselves," Sparano said. "My hat's off to them. They did a better job than we did. ... My fault. I've got to take responsibility for it. We had 10 days to prepare and I didn't do a good enough job obviously of preparing them."

Nope. Can't provide anything.

If I hear a peep out of Juicebox about youth or experience next year I'm going to kick his ass (metaphorically).

In 2006 it was lack of experience and "huge holes in the depth chart"

In 2007 it was "we did alright but we still have a ways to go with depth and experience".

In 2008 we had all those injuries so we were playing all these really young players with little or no experience.

And now in 2009 it's been "we're really close but we're still just really young"

After 4 years of playing young players with little experience you still have a program of young players with little experience?!! WTF!!! I am done with the youth and experience excuse. After last season and this season we should have a ton of Juniors and Seniors in 2010 with lots of game experience. We should also have backups who have seen the field a fair amount and can step in without a large drop off in productivity. This team should not be surprised by anything, they've been around the block...a few times in some cases and should know how the game gets played between the lines. If they don't play like a mature program next year it's solely because the coaches haven't prepared them.

No excuses Hawk. Get these kids to play right or get out.

Last edited:
Can you find video of it? Because I'm pretty sure in the video I've seen he is smiling and looks like he's joking, at least somewhat. It may not come across in the straight audio, though. I have definitely always understood that there was at least some humor to the whole thing from the time it happened...

There is no video. Any video you may have seen was of something else. Seriously. There was no video of "the rant".

Are you sure? I really think I've seen it.... :confused:

I'm really sure. I know you haven't seen it. I know there was a mock-up of it done by edsbs or barking carnival, but there was no actual video of the rant itself. No cameras were there.

I'm really sure. I know you haven't seen it. I know there was a mock-up of it done by edsbs or barking carnival, but there was no actual video of the rant itself. No cameras were there.

**** you

i believe sacky is correct on this. several youtube vids of it but none show him talking. i believe it was only caught on tape and not video.

**** you too

:lol:

Back