What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"IF" Pac was going to 16 who would you take?

Who should the 16th member be?

• Total voters
Had to go with New Mexico cause of the easy trip and Ive been to worse places than Burque. It would be cool for McCollough too. Close second would be OK St.

is there already a consensus for 13, 14 and 15?

For 13 & 14 it is easy. Texas & Oklahoma bring the most skin to the game.

15 is a tougher question. I'm looking at this from Larry Scott's perspective, not any school or other conference. If I were him Kansas has the most value of the rest of the schools. After that it is a much tougher debate, hence the poll.

Good chance the Big10 looks east for a couple schools given the current media markets fetish in college athletics

I think Maryland, Pitt, Mizzou are all top-tier choices for them with athletic prowess across multiple sports, academics and market size considered. Anything after that and it's just a numbers game trying to keep up in the arms race should the top dogs turn them down.

I think Maryland, Pitt, Mizzou are all top-tier choices for them with athletic prowess across multiple sports, academics and market size considered. Anything after that and it's just a numbers game trying to keep up in the arms race should the top dogs turn them down.

I think Mizzou is down their list. Marginal academics addition, and Illinois already brings the St. Louis market (this is based on the fact that the BTN received carriage deals in St. Louis already). Don't get me wrong, Missouri wouldn't be a horrible addition and would fit right in with Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana as also-rans with large followings.

Maryland-Virginia is who I think the B1G is hoping to land, and that would put pressure on the ACC to raid the Big East, thus putting pressure on Notre Dame to find a more stable all-sports home, and lead back to the Big Ten. They would then measure out Syracuse, Boston College, Missouri, North Carolina, and/or Duke as their 16th team.

NONE. I realize that this reply doesn't really fit into your heading/question, but, with that said, I don't want anyone else to join the new Pac 12. It's just fine as it currently stands. If, they do add more teams it will not be beneficial to CU.

Reactions: aik
NONE. I realize that this reply doesn't really fit into your heading/question, but, with that said, I don't want anyone else to join the new Pac 12. It's just fine as it currently stands. If, they do add more teams it will not be beneficial to CU.

Correct, I like it just fine as it is now.
Also correct, not an option for this poll! :lol:

I'm shocked Bailer has zero votes with all the great things they bring to the table - a beautiful town, tremendous academics, several years without a murder, and so much class. Plus, they really care about their conference brethren.

I think Mizzou is down their list. Marginal academics addition, and Illinois already brings the St. Louis market (this is based on the fact that the BTN received carriage deals in St. Louis already). Don't get me wrong, Missouri wouldn't be a horrible addition and would fit right in with Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana as also-rans with large followings.

Maryland-Virginia is who I think the B1G is hoping to land, and that would put pressure on the ACC to raid the Big East, thus putting pressure on Notre Dame to find a more stable all-sports home, and lead back to the Big Ten. They would then measure out Syracuse, Boston College, Missouri, North Carolina, and/or Duke as their 16th team.

It'll be hard for the Big Ten to get much attention out of the ACC schools. The only schools I've ever imagined leaving the ACC is FSU, Clemson, and BC. Living in Raleigh, I can tell you that the MD, NC, and VA schools think the ACC is already a superconference overflowing with talent.

The most likely outcome I expect to see if Missou, TAMU, FSU, and Clemson leave is the ACC takes ECU and UCONN, ND becomes a full member of the Big East, the Big 12 takes in a couple of higher level C-USA and MWC teams to take them back to 10 or 12 (Hopefully theyve realized that they lack stability with 10 so we can avoid any worries like this in the future), C-USA takes in App State out of the FCS and possibly a couple of left over MWC teams, and the remaining lower level MWC teams join the WAC and Sunbelt

Syracuse, Rutgers are legitimate options because of the NYC market. Living in VA, I can tell you it's extremely hard to imagine Virginia going anywhere, but if the ACC was crumbling all around them then that would naturally change the whole ballgame. Like CarolinaBuff and buffted have mentioned, there is a perception amongst the ACC old-timers that the league is the best thing since sliced bread. They honestly see no need to even consider any other potential options, and frankly a situation like this where the entire landscape around them could drastically change in a week has the potential to catch them completely off guard and **** them over.

The Pac-12 is looking west? In case you haven't looked at a map lately, there's a huge ocean to the west of most of our schools. :facepalm:

OU and Texas are probably more fit for a big ten or SEC expansion. As others have expressed, I'd avoid Texas and the cancer they bring. Larry Scott is looking west. Hawaii maybe but I'm not sure if they compete unless its surfing. A whole lotta talent in Hawaii, Samoa and the sumo wrestlers in Japan. PAC12 should stay at 12 for a few years and see what happens. Eventually, there will be universities knocking on the door asking for an invitation. The 4 X 16 team super conferences are a few years away, but inevitable. Money talks.

You wont get OU without OSU and TX will bring the Raiders. Be thankful your not Baylor, looks like the MW for the bears. Sometimes i miss the old Big 8 days.

I would go for New Mexico. Every conference has to have a whipping boy. :nod:

Obviously this is still all hypothetical because it depends on OU and UT bailing on the Big 12 and Texas actually being willing to make some major concessions, but I bet the Pac-12 would let OU and UT pick the other two members if they were willing to come on board. (Only exception: Baylor and other religious schools.) We'd probably try to encourage KU as a 3rd member for the Kansas City market and great B-ball tradition (although that's really secondary to all this), but frankly we'd probably allow those guys to bring almost anybody if that's what it took to get them on board.

I went with New Mexico. If there was a way to respect the geographic integrity and not duplicate markets by adding New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas then I think we'd have the best possible Pac-16.

I agree Mizzou would be a better fit in the Big Ten. They're only flirting with the SEC now because they got snubbed by the Big Ten last summer and don't want to be left out in the cold if this all goes down. It's pretty clear they do NOT want to be in the Big 12.

I am starting to think that Larry Scott will go for KU and Texas. I don't really see MU in the SEC, they are a much better fit for the Big 10. OU and OSU don't really fit with the PAC.

Personally, I don't see UT joining the PAC. like many have pointed out, texas does whats best for them, and I don't think thats the PAC.they would have to give up LHN for equal revenue in the pac 12 network, which would cost them publicity and $, and they would have to continue to follow conference rules, versus being independent and making their own rules. wHorns as independent is best for them

Just wondering if FSU and Clemson was to bolt if Delany would'nt go after Duke,UNC,Maryland. Of course ND is the altimate end goal for B1G

Personally, I don't see UT joining the PAC. like many have pointed out, texas does whats best for them, and I don't think thats the PAC.they would have to give up LHN for equal revenue in the pac 12 network, which would cost them publicity and $, and they would have to continue to follow conference rules, versus being independent and making their own rules. wHorns as independent is best for them

The thing with the LHN is that it is struggling to find carriers and the other Big 12 schools are boycotting it despite a promise of huge payouts if they agree to have their UT game broadcasted on it. Throw in that the NCAA significantly downgraded its content/programming plan by ruling that high school games couldn't be broadcast. Joining the Pac and reorganizing the LHN as a regional Pac network may be the "out" that UT needs in order to save face in this mess.

If it's not as big of a mess as I think, then I think you're spot on with the analysis.

Just wondering if FSU and Clemson was to bolt if Delany would'nt go after Duke,UNC,Maryland. Of course ND is the altimate end goal for B1G

That would be interesting and I could see it happen. The Big 10 could very well look to expand into those lucrative markets with the premier ACC programs. If ND stayed independent, they could very well go after UNC-Duke-Maryland-Virginia.

That would probably cause the Big East to absorb VA Tech, Boston College, Miami, Wake Forest, NC State and Georgia Tech.

I hadn't though of this and it does work pretty darn well.

I know football is running this show but if the B1G got those 3 thats a major get for Delany. That also might push ND into a conference one way or anouther. Being either B1G big east or into the unholy aliance with texas and the little dwarfs.

Maryland used to play Penn State all the time, although PSU leads the series something like 35-1. Virginia has played Penn State occasionally throughout its history as well - things actually got pretty nasty between JoePa and George Welsh when UVA was a Top 25 team in the 90's. UVA, UNC, UMD and Duke are obviously perfect fits academically, but UMD is by far the best cultural fit. No denying that UVA and UNC are southern schools, but I don't think it's completely out of the question - for UVA at least - if there's a mad scramble. Still think Syracuse or Rutgers is more likely though. As has been mentioned, the ACC old timers think the league is far stronger than its outside perception.

Last edited:
That would be interesting and I could see it happen. The Big 10 could very well look to expand into those lucrative markets with the premier ACC programs. If ND stayed independent, they could very well go after UNC-Duke-Maryland-Virginia.

That would probably cause the Big East to absorb VA Tech, Boston College, Miami, Wake Forest, NC State and Georgia Tech.

I hadn't though of this and it does work pretty darn well.

Isn't TCU also headed the the Big East? If this realignment occurred, with the schools you listed, TCU and one other to the Big East, possibly KU, and a dropping of the non-football schools into maybe a sub-conference type thing, that would leave a a 16 team SEC, B1G, and Big East, with a 12 team Pac, and a torn apart 7 teams of the B12.. almost insures the discussed 16 team Pac with UT, OU, OSU, and TT, and ISU, KSU, and Baylor to the MWC

EDIT: or, being hopeful, UT goes independent, TT, BU, ISU, KSU go MWC, and Pac takes OU, OSU, UNM, and Hawaii

Last edited:
If I could pick four more
1) San Diego State - it's Sandy Eggo! Duh (Better than Tech)
2) Boise State - Solidify & diversify the NW. Pick up another state. (Better than Stillwater)
3) New Mexico - Solidify the SW & pick up another state.
4) Texas - Get a neutered big dog and a huge TV market, but without their ass kissing posse.

Oklahoma is the popular pick over New Mexico. And Kansas is the popular pick over Boise. But at the end of the day, Norman & Lawrence are just not Pac 16 destinations. Plus Texas would be less insufferable without any built in voting block.

Syracuse, Rutgers are legitimate options because of the NYC market. Living in VA, I can tell you it's extremely hard to imagine Virginia going anywhere, but if the ACC was crumbling all around them then that would naturally change the whole ballgame. Like CarolinaBuff and buffted have mentioned, there is a perception amongst the ACC old-timers that the league is the best thing since sliced bread. They honestly see no need to even consider any other potential options, and frankly a situation like this where the entire landscape around them could drastically change in a week has the potential to catch them completely off guard and **** them over.

Can't believe I forgot Syracuse. Good football history in the past, not so much now. Great basketball the last decade-plus. Rutgers, besides an alumni base I'm not familiar with at all, would bring very little on the athletic side. Can't picture UVA leaving ACC unless that conference crumbles per the football-driven market, though I don't see that. I've always been curious how South Carolina lucked into the SEC as they bring very little to the table and all the other majors in Carolina are ACC.

Back