What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If UNLV gets its football stadium, should the Pac-12 add them?

Should the Pac add UNLV if it gets its stadium built?

• Total voters
Let them prove they can sell some tickets first.

I'd look at 2 things, actually.

1. 2020 will be the next academic evaluation on research intensity. Does UNLV's plan to reach Carnegie R1 status succeed when those ranks come out in February-ish 2021?

2. 2020 will be the year the stadium opens. That gives UNLV 4 seasons to get its football team going and gets its basketball program back on track.

If those things happen, I'd make the move in early 2021 either with Houston or New Mexico.

I'd look at 2 things, actually.

1. 2020 will be the next academic evaluation on research intensity. Does UNLV's plan to reach Carnegie R1 status succeed when those ranks come out in February-ish 2021?

2. 2020 will be the year the stadium opens. That gives UNLV 4 seasons to get its football team going and gets its basketball program back on track.

If those things happen, I'd make the move in early 2021 either with Houston or New Mexico.
I've been waiting for this post all day. You have to be excited!

(I'm not, but it could be worse I guess)

People here like to make fun of ASU academics. That's mostly just ignorance, e.g., but UNLV isn't even on the map, how will that fly?

USN&WR

Las Vegas, NV
Rank Not Published

Where is the stadium proposed to be? Sam Boyd is way too far out of town, that's a lot of the UNLV football problem.

Where is the stadium proposed to be? Sam Boyd is way too far out of town, that's a lot of the UNLV football problem.

South end of the strip near Mandalay Bay. For reference, some of the site is where the Bali Hi golf club is located.

The only absolute #1 school that they have to get is HOUSTON!!! Massive population, gigantic boosters, and a commitment from here forward to be great. Endless recruits, NFL City, Heisman Trophy Winner. The Basketball program is infamous and has had great success, and the Golf and Baseball teams are very good. Just the absolute best market available out there!!! I really wish they would make a play for Houston sooner than later.

Houston has a perfect Pac 12 size stadium

Future expansion[edit]

While the stadium seats 40,000, it was designed for a future capacity of 60,000 seats. This includes the strategic placement and installation of foundations in the original construction phase to accommodate future expansion.[3] Approximately 10,000 seats can be added to the north sideline upper grandstand, and another 10,000 seats can be added with upper end zone grandstands.

South end of the strip near Mandalay Bay. For reference, some of the site is where the Bali Hi golf club is located.

That will be great. The only other place I could think of would be up by Circus Circus.

Despite the LV population of 3M, I feel it's much less than that in terms of potential fans. When you look at the 100 miles beyond LV, you add like 17 people. So it's 3M, but growing.

However, everyone is from back east and the mid-west, not to mention Asia, Mexico and places like Syria, Iraq and Russia. This is one of the most transient populations in the world. People constantly coming and leaving. They either have alliances with Midwest schools or they watch soccer, cricket or something else.
I feel that 3M number is effectively much less than what you'd weight such a number in many other parts of the country.

Then you throw in the distraction factor, which Boulder suffers from. But in LV, much of it is centered around working. Many people work on Saturday and Saturday nights (when a lot of games would be played).

And UNM is a no go. Houston is much more attractive.

Doesn't matter, adding unlv to the PAC 12 would be like the sec adding Tulane

The SEC probably should add Tulane. Tulane already has more SEC titles than 7 current SEC teams and it would greatly benefit the joke of SEC academics.
(disclaimer: my daughter goes to Tulane)

Las Vegas isn't as transient as people think.

Lots of people moving in. Most stay long-term. Bigger issue is with a high number of people who would like to leave if they could, but they're not in the types of jobs where they could leave and make anywhere near the same kind of money (in a zero income tax state, no less) anywhere else. And I'm not just talking about blackjack dealers. Valets, waiters/waitresses, etc. within the service industry all make a living in Las Vegas that kind of gets them stuck in Vegas.

Las Vegas isn't as transient as people think.

Lots of people moving in. Most stay long-term. Bigger issue is with a high number of people who would like to leave if they could, but they're not in the types of jobs where they could leave and make anywhere near the same kind of money (in a zero income tax state, no less) anywhere else. And I'm not just talking about blackjack dealers. Valets, waiters/waitresses, etc. within the service industry all make a living in Las Vegas that kind of gets them stuck in Vegas.
Hawaiians call it the 9th island. Cost of living is so ridiculous compared to Hawaii they arrive and can't imagine/afford every going back (even though it's a disgusting sterile place with nothing but chains and strip malls, IMHO)

The only absolute #1 school that they have to get is HOUSTON!!! Massive population, gigantic boosters, and a commitment from here forward to be great. Endless recruits, NFL City, Heisman Trophy Winner. The Basketball program is infamous and has had great success, and the Golf and Baseball teams are very good. Just the absolute best market available out there!!! I really wish they would make a play for Houston sooner than later.
Adding Houston would be the equivalent of B1G adding Rutgers...makes no sense other than $$ and would be a sell out move IMO. Then again the PAC would be selling out by adding any of the schools that have been proposed and I hope it doesn't get to the point where $$ forces some massive reaches at the expense of conference identity

Adding Houston would be the equivalent of B1G adding Rutgers...makes no sense other than $$ and would be a sell out move IMO. Then again the PAC would be selling out by adding any of the schools that have been proposed and I hope it doesn't get to the point where $$ forces some massive reaches at the expense of conference identity
$$ is the only thing that matters in this discussion

$$ is the only thing that matters in this discussion
Well the PAC seems to value other factors so I don't know how you can say that with certainty. Which was my point. Obviously $$ is a huge factor, but they seem content to stand pat for the time being rather than reach on a school like Houston that otherwise is a poor fit. And unless conference expansion leads to an all out arms race, I don't think you can say $$ is the only thing that matters

There are only two questions that need to be answered on UNLV:
1) Does the Pac 12 know the TV revenue per team will go up by adding them?
2) Is there any legitimate concern about the Big 12 trying to bring UNLV in and is it worth enough over the next 20 years before they are a viable P5 school (too many reasons to list here) that it might be worth it to move on them early?

I believe the answer to both of those is easily no.

/thread

I just spent a week down there for a youth tournament. I would say no. There is just so much dirt. It wouldn't be a question that there will be problems. Why pull the PAC kids into it. Pro sports, fine. College kids, I think it's a mistake.

It's been reported that the new Raiders stadium will be funded, in part, through public support. $700M is to be raised through a hotel room tax that is passed on to Las Vegas visitors.

So I guess what happens in Vegas supports the Raiders.

Many years ago the PAC reached out and snagged 2 schools in somewhat smaller locations.

They made a similar move recently.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with UNLV, not because of what the school brings to the table today or tomorrow, but what the possibilities are 20 or more years down the road.

Back