What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If UNLV gets its football stadium, should the Pac-12 add them?

Should the Pac add UNLV if it gets its stadium built?

• Total voters
Hawaii is talking about making a new stadium! Probably won't happen any time soon, but it would be more than welcome. Aloha Stadium is soooo basic.

http://www.kitv.com/story/35080061/consultant-cost-to-build-new-aloha-stadium-at-323-million

If UH could ever get their **** together with the athletic/football program and facilities it would great, but I'm not going to hold my breathe.
Why put the new stadium right where the old one was? Wouldn't it make more sense to put it in Manoa?

I agree that Aloha Stadium is in pretty rough shape. UH is a tough school to run an athletic department, though. Travel costs are horrible.

Why put the new stadium right where the old one was? Wouldn't it make more sense to put it in Manoa?

I agree that Aloha Stadium is in pretty rough shape. UH is a tough school to run an athletic department, though. Travel costs are horrible.
My buddy's dad has a great idea to put it on sand island. They could ferry people over from chinatown, Aloha Tower, Ala Moana, and the rest of the island. The area is less expensive and has beautiful views of the ocean and the city.

There's no space in Manoa and it is as expensive as land gets.

Isn't Sand Island some kind of nature preserve?

I hate off campus stadiums, but I can see the necessity in Manoa.

My buddy's dad has a great idea to put it on sand island. They could ferry people over from chinatown, Aloha Tower, Ala Moana, and the rest of the island. The area is less expensive and has beautiful views of the ocean and the city.

There's no space in Manoa and it is as expensive as land gets.

My friends and I always discuss this.

A. UH doesn't need anything larger than 30,000 seats. More people show up to the Kahuku Highschool games right now than a UH football game. I know the argument that someone could present is, what if they get good again? Well then, you can raise the price of seats, ultimately bringing in more money to the program.
B. I think you could make Manoa work, if you were to tear down the current track field, combine it with the football practice fields and reconfigure the parking structure. Then the problem would be traffic. I think that would be the true issue with Manoa. Maybe a pipe dream, but moving the stadium campus could also help revitalize the student base. Being from Hawaii, I absolutely hate the UH athletic program because they do absolutely nothing to help the students become fans and support their team. The basketball stadium has a pathetic student section, which is far behind the boosters. The same goes for the football program. Even when they were good with Colt Brennan and Timmy Chang, led by of course June Jones, they still had no student section at Aloha Stadium. The fan base are old retired fans who can barely wheel chair into the stadium.

I also hope that this conversation has nothing to do with "If UH builds a stadium, will they have a chance to join the PAC-12?", because that would be a joke. UH needs to focus on being the best in the MW. They should be happy being in there especially because many were fearing the death of the program just last year because of finances.

My friends and I always discuss this.

A. UH doesn't need anything larger than 30,000 seats. More people show up to the Kahuku Highschool games right now than a UH football game. I know the argument that someone could present is, what if they get good again? Well then, you can raise the price of seats, ultimately bringing in more money to the program.
B. I think you could make Manoa work, if you were to tear down the current track field, combine it with the football practice fields and reconfigure the parking structure. Then the problem would be traffic. I think that would be the true issue with Manoa. Maybe a pipe dream, but moving the stadium campus could also help revitalize the student base. Being from Hawaii, I absolutely hate the UH athletic program because they do absolutely nothing to help the students become fans and support their team. The basketball stadium has a pathetic student section, which is far behind the boosters. The same goes for the football program. Even when they were good with Colt Brennan and Timmy Chang, led by of course June Jones, they still had no student section at Aloha Stadium. The fan base are old retired fans who can barely wheel chair into the stadium.

I also hope that this conversation has nothing to do with "If UH builds a stadium, will they have a chance to join the PAC-12?", because that would be a joke. UH needs to focus on being the best in the MW. They should be happy being in there especially because many were fearing the death of the program just last year because of finances.
HI Buff!

Yeah, you're probably right about the stadium size. There have been moments of great excitement and interest, but a big stadium won't create it like a solid program and even average facilities would. 30k could be light since a larger stadium can also provide seating for international events and concerts, but you're probably right. Student support is tough with the commuter campus and majority of students coming in without any interest in the team or legacy. A good rail system to the stadium could be helpful, and the student section would be good for everyone to drive some energy into the crowd. When I went to the last Buffs-Warriors game it was pathetic. The only people with energy were a group of douchebags (one I went to high school with) yelling obscenities at the Buffs players. (We were all only a few rows behind them since the stadium was pretty much empty.)

I don't know any numbers for Manoa, but I have a hard time seeing them make it a viable spot for a football stadium. Your ideas are good, but you're right about the traffic. It's bad enough day to day, let alone during a football game.

Of course UH will never be in the Pac-12. I wish that was a possibility, but they're light years away from that, and much closer to losing the program. I do think there's a world where UH could exist there, but so many thing would need to come together. Funding, support, facilities, stadium, and probably some other intangibles that, as far as I know, no one is working on.

HI Buff!

Yeah, you're probably right about the stadium size. There have been moments of great excitement and interest, but a big stadium won't create it like a solid program and even average facilities would. 30k could be light since a larger stadium can also provide seating for international events and concerts, but you're probably right. Student support is tough with the commuter campus and majority of students coming in without any interest in the team or legacy. A good rail system to the stadium could be helpful, and the student section would be good for everyone to drive some energy into the crowd. When I went to the last Buffs-Warriors game it was pathetic. The only people with energy were a group of douchebags (one I went to high school with) yelling obscenities at the Buffs players. (We were all only a few rows behind them since the stadium was pretty much empty.)

I don't know any numbers for Manoa, but I have a hard time seeing them make it a viable spot for a football stadium. Your ideas are good, but you're right about the traffic. It's bad enough day to day, let alone during a football game.

Of course UH will never be in the Pac-12. I wish that was a possibility, but they're light years away from that, and much closer to losing the program. I do think there's a world where UH could exist there, but so many thing would need to come together. Funding, support, facilities, stadium, and probably some other intangibles that, as far as I know, no one is working on.

Hey hey! That was honestly a great response, I'm used to being **** on by some random member haha. Yeah, I went to the game as well. My friends and I went in the stripped overalls with the CU cowboy hats. My friend actually has an epic video of him on ESPN alone waving for so long it go awkward. He was alone because my friend and I went to the restroom haha.

Yeah, I don't see Manoa as a legit option, but its fun to dream. Honestly, I just get so dishearten with the athletic department because of their lack of support. I get bummed when I see more grey hairs down low in a stadium then the current student body. The sad thing is, UH continues to promote the athletics to the senior alum because they desperate need money instead of figuring ways to invigorate a dying student fanbase.

Also, side note. Not sure, if you're in Hawaii or not currently, but I am trying to get the Colorado Hawaii Alumni chapter going. We watch games on the projector at The Brewseum. You should join!

Hey hey! That was honestly a great response, I'm used to being **** on by some random member haha. Yeah, I went to the game as well. My friends and I went in the stripped overalls with the CU cowboy hats. My friend actually has an epic video of him on ESPN alone waving for so long it go awkward. He was alone because my friend and I went to the restroom haha.

Yeah, I don't see Manoa as a legit option, but its fun to dream. Honestly, I just get so dishearten with the athletic department because of their lack of support. I get bummed when I see more grey hairs down low in a stadium then the current student body. The sad thing is, UH continues to promote the athletics to the senior alum because they desperate need money instead of figuring ways to invigorate a dying student fanbase.

Also, side note. Not sure, if you're in Hawaii or not currently, but I am trying to get the Colorado Hawaii Alumni chapter going. We watch games on the projector at The Brewseum. You should join!
Unfortunately, I'm back in CO now. Brewseum is a weird/fun spot. I'll try to send my buddies over there and make it if I'm ever in town during a game!

A lot of people are suggesting that UNLV and SDSU make most sense, but do they fit into the conference? I don't think Cal and UCLA will let a Cal State school into the Pac 12. There are some real issues between the two systems. Remember Cal refused to look at Mac and DeRuyter because they were at Cal State schools. How much does SDSU really add to the pot? If anything, they may delude the recruiting in the LA area of the other schools. Do we also want them playing in a half empty, decrepit stadium? I think they take more away in regards to Also the fact that both SDSU and UNLV are R2 schools compared to every other school in the Pac 12 being R1. I do think that OU and KU should be the goal. Both are R1 schools. KU offers the KC metro plus bball. OU brings in OKC and the national following of football. I know Scott will still want UT, but if I had my way, if we just added two teams, it would be OU and KU. I'm not sure where we go with four teams outside of Texas and Tech.

Now I did just read that SD is considering an expansion MLS team and SDSU would play there as well. So if that happened, it would be more appealing.

1004761706%2520STADIUM_FOLO_013016c_002_1.jpg

1004761706%2520STADIUM_FOLO_013016c_003_1.jpg

64k seat stadium that would be shared with the Raiders if they decided to move to Las Vegas. Stadium is up for approval this year. If construction begins on schedule in 2017, it would open in 2020. That would be one of the 5 biggest stadiums in the conference.
  • Nevada is about to cross 3 million in population. (All other states that size have a BCS program except Connecticut.)
  • Las Vegas was 29th in US metro population in 2015 (2.1 million) and on pace to move past Cincinnati, Sacramento & Pittsburgh within the next few years.
  • In terms of national name recognition, UNLV is a marquee brand from the west. (For basketball, which has been the issue.)
  • Academic research & rep was a problem. (But just built a medical school & have been on a 10-year mission to become a Tier One research university.)
If they get that stadium, I think that this has to happen. I don't know who the other team would be, though. That's the challenge.

No

after a few days in vegas, multiple cabbies told me that they are desperately hoping for a p12 invite for unlv when the stadium gets built.

apparently, the ufc guys (who sold for billions) are spending money left and right to upgrade the unlv facilities and put them in position.

UNLV's new football complex being built with a donation from the Fertitta brothers (former UFC owners who made a fortune selling it and have become the UNLV mega donors -- apparently they were the guys who pushed Bishop Gorman's Sanchez to be the HC a couple years ago). UNLV pushing hard to try to become part of the Pac.

We should just invite CSU instead.

1) Ft Collins metro is growing more rapidly
2) Higher academic ratings
3) They are almost finished with their facilities upgrade without having to sponge off of a local NFL team doing an upgrade for them

PS - yes, I am trolling.

We should just invite CSU instead.

1) Ft Collins metro is growing more rapidly
2) Higher academic ratings
3) They are almost finished with their facilities upgrade without having to sponge off of a local NFL team doing an upgrade for them

PS - yes, I am trolling.
fwiw, if you read other Pac-12 boards they are high on CSU as an expansion candidate. At least those who would prefer to keep the existing model of 2 rival teams per state instead of looking for new markets. That crowd would rather see CSU and BYU as additions to get to 14. It wouldn't be the worst thing, really. I think that's a conversation in around 2025 if the Big 12 doesn't crumble.

fwiw, if you read other Pac-12 boards they are high on CSU as an expansion candidate. At least those who would prefer to keep the existing model of 2 rival teams per state instead of looking for new markets. That crowd would rather see CSU and BYU as additions to get to 14. It wouldn't be the worst thing, really. I think that's a conversation in around 2025 if the Big 12 doesn't crumble.
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. True, CSU doesn't actually add much, if anything, but if the goal is to remain consistent with the historical soul of the conference, this is a plan that accomplishes that.

Plus, it would be pure comedy to place bets on when God himself makes a visit to the folks at BYU to tell them it's OK to play on Sundays.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope

after a few days in vegas, multiple cabbies told me that they are desperately hoping for a p12 invite for unlv when the stadium gets built.

apparently, the ufc guys (who sold for billions) are spending money left and right to upgrade the unlv facilities and put them in position.
ufc - Ultimate Fighting? that ufc?

I don't visit any other Pac12 boards -- what schools' fans are most commonly associated with CSU inclusion advocacy?

If we believe message posters drive a profitable conference structure, then we should listen to them.

Seriously, BuffNik - I am not in on these secondary conference members at all. Wake me up when we talk about someone that adds per member TV revenue. On second thought, don't wake me up for that discussion, 'cause I don't want to see 10k Sacky posts on why it is a bad idea to add UT, just because he believes it is a bad idea.

TV revenue isn't going to be the driver it used to be. There's a new revenue model coming. I don't know what it looks like, but I know it's not getting distribution on DTV.

TV revenue isn't going to be the driver it used to be. There's a new revenue model coming. I don't know what it looks like, but I know it's not getting distribution on DTV.
It will be about quality of the content

Back