What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
There are really only 2 questions that matter here:

1. How many wins is far enough below expectations that you would burn political capital and budget by firing him?

2. How many wins is far enough above expectations that you would do everything you could to match any offer in order to keep him?

so, it is not just me, deep into me cups, thinking about random stuff.

now, to address the substance (not THAT substance), you know, the substance of the thesis.

i believe we should expect, at a minimum to be a really good bowl team. we should be in the top third of the p12. assuming no catastrophe on the injury front, this would be a reasonable ask.

an "open the checkbook" moment would occur, for me, if we win the conference.

ps. recruit! i think mm could be a really good coach for us, if we can choose from the available pool.

I am happy with the entire rebuild of the program. Sure I would have liked more wins up until now, but the foundation is In place. I believe we are going to see some great years ahead, and Coach MAC has done a great job and will be here for a long time to see it through.

1. Three - it would indicate he’s lost the locker room and the coaching staff. A low bar for sure but the financial burden of showing him the door this year is too heavy.
  2. No outcome is worth matching any offer to keep him. Quoting Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are. His record is mostly meh to awful, punctuated by the infrequent and unexpected over-delivery. He’s not special and doing whatever it took to keep him would be foolish.

Last edited:
1. 6 or fewer.
2. a. 10 if we're talking top 3-4 in the conference money.
2. b. P-12 Championship if we're talking top 10 in the country money.

If I were the AD, this is not a “must win” season. The buyout is too extravagant for MacIntyre to seriously consider firing him this year, UNLESS the team wins three games or less. Then, it will be a serious staff shakeup and MacIntyre still gets one more tightly monitored season. If the team fails to make a bowl in the 2019 season, then we’ll need to spend that huge number and move on.

The only way in which the coach gets an extension or raise is if he makes the College Football Playoffs. He received a handsome raise via his consensus National Coach of the Year awards. He must prove that he can be a winning coach (with an overall winning record) at this University first. He’s a long way away from that.

5a2311ea70e036af203d63a67e47bdc8.gif

The question was wins below expectations and wins above expectations. But expectations were not defined by the opening poster. Since expectations are relative to each poster and not defined in the OP there is probably quite a bit of latitude.

There are really only 2 questions that matter here:

1. How many wins is far enough below expectations that you would burn political capital and budget by firing him?

2. How many wins is far enough above expectations that you would do everything you could to match any offer in order to keep him?

Last edited:
The question was wins below expectations and wins below expectations. But expectations were not defined by the opening poster. Since expectations are relative to each poster and not defined in the OP there is probably quite a bit of latitude.
Sure. It's all subjective. Personal opinions. What else could it be?

RG has committed to excellence in athletics. He needs to spend to win. Regardless of if it’s with or without MM (preferably with).

There’s a lot that can happen between now and December. I’d hesitate to put specific win totals out there as hard milestones. That said, if we fail to reach a Bowl game, there better be a damn good reason. Like, an asteroid hit the practice facility and wiped out half the team.

5-4 in conference seems bery weak in year 6.

I’d fire him unless he wins 6 in conference and puts CU on pace for three-year football goals in the Strat Plan.

Last edited:
1. I am on the fence at 6 and would definitely fire him at 5

2. Anything short of being in the playoff. Win the PAC 12 South and I would make the PR play that I tried and just couldn’t get it done and would let him go.

I like MM but I am not so sure it isn’t time to thank him for building the base and stabilizing things and go our separate ways. This year will tell a lot but I think it is his last in Boulder either way. He gets fired or takes another job. I think RG will be fine with it either way

5-4 in conference seems week in year 6.

I’d fire him unless he wins 6 in conference and puts CU on pace for three-year football goals in the Strat Plan.
That’s just plain ridiculous in terms of actually firing a CU coach. No coach at CU will ever get fired for having a winning conference and overall record.

He's gotta get to a bowl to get to 2019. This non-conference schedule features a middling g5 opponent, a cupcake, and a Big 10 bottom feeder. In addition to that, we get UCLA (new coach), Utah (winnable game), Arizona State (new coach), Oregon State (new coach), and Washington State (new QB and new DC) at home. There's no reason this team should not at least get to a bowl game. Sure, his buyout figure is large (but there's nothing in his contract that says he needs to be paid out within 2 months of termination a la Sumlin's A&M contract). Rick George would do more damage to his own tenure as AD by keeping him around if he goes 5-7 again.

1. I would want him fired if they don’t make it to a bowl game. However, I don’t think it is worth burning “political capital and budget” if they only win five. CU athletics does not have much of either so I would have to go with 3 or less wins for this particular question.

2. As far as matching any offer, I would expect nothing less than an 11-1 regular season to go along with a PAC 12 Championship. A 9-3 record with a PAC 12 Championship would not be enough for me to match anything.

So, what is the Expectation? I say for CU it is 8 wins every year!
1-4 wins is pathetic and shows no actual foundation for success
5-6 wins is the Oh so close crap that keeps coaches around
7 wins if Trending up is good, while 7 wins Trending down is depressing
8 wins means you had an entertaining season and were competitive and you can have pride in your program
9-11 wins means you are very competitive and probably in the top 25 and really excited.
So, he needs to get to 8 wins for the next 2-3 seasons or he should be fired.
Staff shakeup is not needed except in 1-2 spots, which means with the facilities, coaches, and new contracts, the runway is wide open and ready to go.
5 Wins is FIRED, and 12 Wins is EXTENDED and MATCHED
I think that Mac is a 6-7 win average guy and thus he has improved the foundation, but he cannot likely build any additional floors onto it.

No bowl and he should be fired. How does the staff realistically sell recruits that the program is on the come with one winning season in 6 and being two years removed from the peak? No bowl and Mac needs to go - I'd like to see what RG could do on the coaching market.

Agree with Duff on point 2 - short of a conference title, there's no reason to stretch for this coach.

Back