What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were Hawkins, how would you sell CU to recruits?

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
I expect a bunch of smart assed answers, but I'd really appreciate a bit of thought and some serious answers. Maybe look at it as how you would sell the program if you could talk to a recruit.

Hawaii 2011
Team Chemistry
Academic Programs
Trophy Case includes Heisman & National Champion awards
List of NFL players from Buffs
300 days of sunshine
Pieces are in place to make a run for the B12 North, blah, blah, blah
More coaching stablity than KU, TT
Run behind ralphie

Boulder
Offseason practices in 75 degree weather
Big 12 conference schedule = television
Play the schools that didn't offer them
Academics
Every incumbent starter should have to compete for their position - Chance to get involved right away

Opportunity for early playing time. Hawkins has shown that he's willing to play freshmen.

I still believe you can sell the winning history of each coach on the staff and that the rebuilding effort is ready to bear fruit.

And I believe that the "whole person" approach to mentoring athletes this staff believes in has a lot of appeal for many recruits and their parents. As a dad, I'd respond well to a coach I know isn't just blowing smoke up my ass when he says that he'll make sure my son goes to class, does some community service, shows up to his responsibilities on time, etc., etc.

Other than that, it's the usual list of reasons to play for CU: Top 25 all-time program, 4 Big 12 Championship games this decade, valuable degree (grads from CU make a lot of money compared to other Big 12 schools), top party school, gorgeous campus, great college town that's close to big city Denver, Big 12 conference, on national television almost every week, National Championship and a Hesiman Trophy in the past 20 years, one of the best on-campus gameday atmospheres in the country, etc., etc.

If I were hawk, I'd tell them that I will be fired after this season and the program will improve without me as head coach. I would tell recruits I am a WAC coach with WACK ideas and the next coach will make it work. I would also tell recruits that CU used to be a top 25 program and when I'm gone they will return, so come to CU, redshirt and then enjoy what none of my recruits ever did....a winning season.

If truth is a smartass, I am the truth.

If I were hawk, I'd tell them that I will be fired after this season and the program will improve without me as head coach. I would tell recruits I am a WAC coach with WACK ideas and the next coach will make it work. I would also tell recruits that CU used to be a top 25 program and when I'm gone they will return, so come to CU, redshirt and then enjoy what none of my recruits ever did....a winning season.

If truth is a smartass, I am the truth.

:lol: I would not expect anything less from syko.

Boulder and the mountains. Good pot. A community and university that supports footbal players. Best mascot and .......................me!!!!!!!!

Boulder and the mountains. Good pot. A community and university that supports footbal players. Best mascot and .......................me!!!!!!!!

The first part there. Find kids who'd like to be able to ski, hike, camp, mountain bike, rock climb, et c., in their free time. For hard science majors, the educational opportunities at CU should be a draw.

Thanks for the reason for edit comment....I would have spent all day trying to figure out the differences in the pictures....

Thanks for the reason for edit comment....I would have spent all day trying to figure out the differences in the pictures....

The funny thing is that I tried three different picture sizes, only posting with the last one. Then I saw a pic plus 3 "thumbnails" and edited, deleting the pic. I couldn't delete any of the thumbnails.

"Billy, The University of Colorado is one of the top twenty all time college football programs. Sure, we've been down for the last couple of years, but thats about to change. You've heard about the issues CU had before I took over. When I got here, I found that we had some big holes to fill at a lot of positions. Honestly, I thought it would not take as long as it has, but, Billy, we've done a great job of filling those holes. We now have depth at every position. I did think that we would take our big step forward last season. But I underiestimated a few things. We were young across the board and had lost our offensive cooridinator. I was really disappointed on how we came out of the box last year. It isn't what I expected and it isn't acceptable. Once we figured out where the issues were we hit a very tough stretch in our schedule and things kind of snowballed. We never really got our feet under us.

But this is what you need to look at, Billy. This team has talent. We are going to be experienced at almost every position next year. That will be the first time since I've been coach that we will have that. This is what you need to look at. We were within 3 at WV going into the fourth quarter. We beet a ranked Kansas team. We led Texas in Austin for 2 1/2 quarters. We went into Oklahoma St. and very easily could have won that game. Probably should have won. We put more yards on Nebraska than both Texas and Arizona. We damned well should have beaten Nebraska if not for special teams.

Billy, I'm not going anywhere. Not next year of the year after that. I'm not going anywhere because I'm a winner and I've always been a winner. These last 4 seasons have been hard, but they have also strengthened my resolve and refocused my energy. I've got a vision for this program and that vision is to be a perinnial winner ad contender for the National Championship. And that is going to happen. Go talk to the young men in this program. They will tell you, each and every one, that they believe in this staff, they love this university, and we are going to win and win big."

Great. You hit it. Why did you need to ask us for our suggestions?

"Billy, The University of Colorado is one of the top twenty all time college football programs. Sure, we've been down for the last couple of years, but thats about to change. You've heard about the issues CU had before I took over. When I got here, I found that we had some big holes to fill at a lot of positions. Honestly, I thought it would not take as long as it has, but, Billy, we've done a great job of filling those holes. We now have depth at every position. I did think that we would take our big step forward last season. But I underiestimated a few things. We were young across the board and had lost our offensive cooridinator. I was really disappointed on how we came out of the box last year. It isn't what I expected and it isn't acceptable. Once we figured out where the issues were we hit a very tough stretch in our schedule and things kind of snowballed. We never really got our feet under us.

But this is what you need to look at, Billy. This team has talent. We are going to be experienced at almost every position next year. That will be the first time since I've been coach that we will have that. This is what you need to look at. We were within 3 at WV going into the fourth quarter. We beet a ranked Kansas team. We led Texas in Austin for 2 1/2 quarters. We went into Oklahoma St. and very easily could have won that game. Probably should have won. We put more yards on Nebraska than both Texas and Arizona. We damned well should have beaten Nebraska if not for special teams.

Billy, I'm not going anywhere. Not next year of the year after that. I'm not going anywhere because I'm a winner and I've always been a winner. These last 4 seasons have been hard, but they have also strengthened my resolve and refocused my energy. I've got a vision for this program and that vision is to be a perinnial winner ad contender for the National Championship. And that is going to happen. Go talk to the young men in this program. They will tell you, each and every one, that they believe in this staff, they love this university, and we are going to win and win big."

Billy...? Really... I've seen his tape... he sucks.:smile2:

Great. You hit it. Why did you need to ask us for our suggestions?

I'd just been thinking about this for a while. Hawkins has a lot of splainin' to do to recruits. I don't know what'll happen next year, but in the back of my mind I do believe there is a good chance that the program will take big step up next year. I'm sure Hawkins believes in his ability a lot more than most of the fans do. But coaches all have one gift and that is believing in themselves. And if you are going to be a good salesman that is the one thing you have to have. Believing in your product. And I'm sure Hawkins does.

I'd just been thinking about this for a while. Hawkins has a lot of splainin' to do to recruits. I don't know what'll happen next year, but in the back of my mind I do believe there is a good chance that the program will take big step up next year. I'm sure Hawkins believes in his ability a lot more than most of the fans do. But coaches all have one gift and that is believing in themselves. And if you are going to be a good salesman that is the one thing you have to have. Believing in your product. And I'm sure Hawkins does.

So I guess you're saying the best coach on the staff, Greg Brown, didn't believe in himself? I think more the other way around, Brown didn't belive in Hawkins and the direction he's leading the program (the clockwise typhoon right down the crapper.)
I'd love to jump on this bandwagon DBT, but Hawk has to prove himself now - of course he hasn't done it for 4 years, why should he do it in the 5th?

Last edited:
So I guess you're saying the best coach on the staff, Greg Brown, didn't believe in himself?

Brown left for a promotion that included a long-term deal.

However-

There does seem to be a very big disconnect between coaches/players connected to the Barnett era and those connected to the current era. They don't seem to work well together.

Last edited:
Brown left for a promotion that included a long-term deal.

There does seem to be a very big disconnect between coaches/players connected to the Barnett era and those connected to the current era. They don't seem to work well together.

A promotion that should have been his at CU at the end of the year as he was already the de facto DC anyway. But no, Hawk sticks with his buddy-nepotism system and keeps a worthless Collins around while one of our best coaches leaves (AGAIN!) I truly believe if Hawk fires Collins and promotes Brown, Brown stays...one-year contracts be damned.

Instead we get treated to yet another year of ineptness in defensive coaching (Cabral excepted). I'm willing to put it out now that Hawaii hangs 65 on us in our own stadium next year - giving us a re-live of Toledo again, except this time in our own house.

God dammit. I tried to make this a hypothetical thread on what Hawkins should say to recruits and you guys just turn it into another Hawkins bash. :lol: Not like I didn't expect it, though. :smile:

Easy:
colorado-hottest-student-cheerleader.jpg

http://www.campusgirlsusa.com/galleryland09.php?gid=38
Campus-Girls-Swimsuit-Calendar-225.jpg

09-Girl-Splash-38-4.jpg

university-of-colorado-boulder-colorado-cu-boulder-college-demotivational-poster-1245734447.jpg

God dammit. I tried to make this a hypothetical thread on what Hawkins should say to recruits and you guys just turn it into another Hawkins bash. :lol: Not like I didn't expect it, though. :smile:

tebow's sending your ass straight to hell

I would remind the recruit that CU's offer is his only offer from a BCS school.

Reactions: aik
Interesting thread. Since I'm not much of a salesmen, coming up with a convincing recruiting speech for me would be difficult. However, I think whatever Talkins has left in him to convince these kids to come to CU had better be his best. Cause if we have another year like what we just went through, these kids will see right through him.

Back