What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'm hearing friend of a friend of cousin type rumors

A coach who thinks he can get to the BCS bowls more easily going 12-0 at Utah instead of 10-2 in the B12 hasn't been paying attention to teams 2 through 12 in the conference this year. Damn, I wish we had made this hire last winter!

Has anyone here ever mentioned Jim Harbaugh? He would at or near the top of my list.

I don't know why he would come here because it would be just as lateral a move as from Utah. Stanford is in BCS conference. But he is recruiting lights out at a school harder to get into than CU.

Jim Harbaugh will be a big time coach at a big time school someday soon. Maybe Notre Dame? The guy can flat out coach and recruit.

Has anyone here ever mentioned Jim Harbaugh? He would at or near the top of my list.

I don't know why he would come here because it would be just as lateral a move as from Utah. Stanford is in BCS conference. But he is recruiting lights out at a school harder to get into than CU.

Jim Harbaugh will be a big time coach at a big time school someday soon. Maybe Notre Dame? The guy can flat out coach and recruit.

The next Michigan coach, I think he's a UM alum

Because CU is a program richer in tradition and in a BCS confrence.

And Utah is a better team and a better program right now.

I know there are reasons coaches should consider CU, but I don't know that it's a step up to go from Utah to CU right now. More of a lateral move, IMO. The BCS ties are really the only advantage CU has at the current time.

And Utah is a better team and a better program right now.

I know there are reasons coaches should consider CU, but I don't know that it's a step up to go from Utah to CU right now. More of a lateral move, IMO. The BCS ties are really the only advantage CU has at the current time.

Any team in a BCS confrence is a big step from any program not in a bcs. It's a major goal for lots of coaches, it really is a huge factor.

Any team in a BCS confrence is a big step from any program not in a bcs. It's a major goal for lots of coaches, it really is a huge factor.

That's not entirely true. Northwestern, for instance, would not be a step up from Utah or BYU or TCU. Neither would Duke, Vanderbilt, Indiana, etc.

CU hasn't fallen to those depths yet. I don't suspect it ever will, frankly. As much as we all want to piss and moan and say 'whoa is me', we're really in a pretty good spot. CU has a lot to offer. And Denver/Boulder is one hell of a lot more fun than SLC/Provo.

How do you figure? Utah has played in more BCS bowl games than CU has. What would their coach be gaining by coming here?

Leash, I know you love CU and so do I, but reality is reality.

Because CU is a program richer in tradition and in a BCS confrence.

And the current administration has been such a great steward of that tradition. Old players don't feel welcome. Signs have dissapeared. Fans don't like the Unis changing. Hmmm.

The next Michigan coach, I think he's a UM alum

Rich Rod has to lose the job first.

They are working their way towards having a seat at the table. A non BCS foe has participated in something like 4 of the last 5 series of games.

I think their is something afoot at CU that makes the job harder and less attractive. I think that issue is admissions and behavior standards that are higher than their peers and are going to keep us from peaking our classes on a sustained basis. jmho.

How do you figure? Utah has played in more BCS bowl games than CU has. What would their coach be gaining by coming here?

And OU lost to CU and NU for ten straight years

USC had four straight losing seasons before Carroll

Texas was in the same boat as OU in the 90's

Every program has down times, but good coaches recognize what they can do places. CU is not one of theose schools with tradition, but it is not something that would be impossible to turn aroudn rather quick, and I think a lot of coaches would see that.

Personally, I think they're in it for the money. If they don't get a raise from their old gig then why leave. I see the coaching world as a very small, tight knit community. There are people out there with the poop on CU as to why DH has struggled so much. That poop might be a problem for us.

Personally, I think they're in it for the money. If they don't get a raise from their old gig then why leave. I see the coaching world as a very small, tight knit community. There are people out there with the poop on CU as to why DH has struggled so much. That poop might be a problem for us.

There was a lot of poop against CU in the early 80's. Soem of you are making this sound a lot harder than it really is, it's not that hard if you get the right guy, and luring the right guy is probably easier than you think. Has to do with a lot of luck. Personally, I think a good assistant from a Florida or Texas type school (Strong, Muschamp), is what we need most to turn this around.

Doubt if CU could afford to pay Hawkins buyout and then buy out Utah's coach...he just signed a 5 year extension last year.

But, if not for economics, he is a great coach and should be one of CU's first calls if they get rid of Hawkins

There was a lot of poop against CU in the early 80's. Soem of you are making this sound a lot harder than it really is, it's not that hard if you get the right guy, and luring the right guy is probably easier than you think. Has to do with a lot of luck. Personally, I think a good assistant from a Florida or Texas type school (Strong, Muschamp), is what we need most to turn this around.

You keep dancing around the issue. CU Athletics are not an entity on to themselves. They are a department of a larger organization.

If the player can not qualify and doesn't get in (as scores of Hawkins recruits have not) then it does not matter who we have coaching. For gods sakes another poster pointed out that Cal has lower admission standards then we do. If thats true then the pool of potential impact players just got a lot smaller and so did the coaches willing to come here and accept that short of a leash. I don't pretend to know what the poop is but I suspect there is something there is blocking success and its not just coaching. Im reading between the lines and so far I don't like the story.

The administration at CU appears to have drawn their line in the sand with athletics. How long before they move it remains to be seen.

Utah has done very well over the past few years but in the big picture the difference is being a big fish in a small pond or a chance to compete in the big pond.
Comparison

BCS Bowl Utah has to go undefeated, Big XII guaranteed one bid usually considered for at large.

Other bowls MWC best bowl is Las Vegas, Big XII Cotton, Holiday, Alamo all better than Las Vegas.

TV MWC Versus, CBSCS, the MTN Big XII ABC ESPN Fox CBS college Many more national and regional games,

Conference opponents MWC has big three Utah, BYU, TCU the rest are considered less than national powers in football, Big XII every year playing at least one of Texas or Oklahoma national powers, normally at least 3-4 other games a year will be against high profile teams ranked at the time of the game. kNU, KU recently, MU recently, Okie State, aTm is down now but normally ranked. MWC other than BYU (65k) attendance of 40K is a well above average turnout, some Big XII teams draw 25K for spring games.

Utah is clearly riding a high right now but coaches usually want to compete at the highest level. The Big XII is clearly a bigger stage than the MWC and CU while not Texas or Oklahoma is still considered a premier program nationally.

You can talk all you want about the MWC getting into the BCS, etc. but bottom line other than the SEC, the Big XII is the elite conference in CFB. Utah has a stadium that seats less than CUs average attendance.

Working against CU is the contract situation for assistants, the budget situation and the idea that Willingham may really like Utah and/or be waiting for a bigger program like his old boss did.

Never. Going. To happen.

1 - Coach Whittingham has a) great facilities, b) tremendous support from the school and boosters, c) fantastic track record.

2 - UCB has some desirable features, most notably conference affiliation. But, facilities?--no. Support from the university?--questionable at best. Support from the boosters?--yes. And the past 8 years have been sub-par. (Coach Barney in the Fiesta Bowl (2001?) ... Coach Talkins winning 2 road games.)

3 - KW may be tempted to leave for an AQ school, but it won't be UCB. Besides, he's got an inside track to make BCS games -- much more so than UCB. Last year Utah took care of business against some very good (some marginally good) teams, and kicked some SEC tail in the SEC's back yard. This year he has a chance to (again) take care of business against some very good (and some marginally good) teams, get 10-11 wins, win a decent bowl game, and continue the recruiting/success that's in place.

4 - Scoff alert: the MWC is on track to meet all requirements for AQ conferences. Based on the shady history of the BCS powers, I am a pessimist about gaining access to the AQ club. However, the requirements have been laid out in the bright light (with some murky shadows), and the MWC is meeting those requirements. Should the MWC become the 7th AQ conference in 2012, why would KW leave UU for UCB?

Never. Going. To happen.

1 - Coach Whittingham has a) great facilities, b) tremendous support from the school and boosters, c) fantastic track record.

2 - UCB has some desirable features, most notably conference affiliation. But, facilities?--no. Support from the university?--questionable at best. Support from the boosters?--yes. And the past 8 years have been sub-par. (Coach Barney in the Fiesta Bowl (2001?) ... Coach Talkins winning 2 road games.)

3 - KW may be tempted to leave for an AQ school, but it won't be UCB. Besides, he's got an inside track to make BCS games -- much more so than UCB. Last year Utah took care of business against some very good (some marginally good) teams, and kicked some SEC tail in the SEC's back yard. This year he has a chance to (again) take care of business against some very good (and some marginally good) teams, get 10-11 wins, win a decent bowl game, and continue the recruiting/success that's in place.

4 - Scoff alert: the MWC is on track to meet all requirements for AQ conferences. Based on the shady history of the BCS powers, I am a pessimist about gaining access to the AQ club. However, the requirements have been laid out in the bright light (with some murky shadows), and the MWC is meeting those requirements. Should the MWC become the 7th AQ conference in 2012, why would KW leave UU for UCB?

you should work for the government...or at least change your handle to Acronym Guru

Never. Going. To happen.

I agree with all of your above points.

As far as firing Hawk and hiring Whittingham goes:

"On Dec. 29, 2008, five days before Utah soundly beat Alabama in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, he signed a five-year contract extension with the Utes." So he will make $6 million over the next 5 years (Hawk was paid approx. $900k per year).

As far as the stadium/attendance comment someone made: The Utes sold 30,000 season tickets this year (CU had 22,000) and barely have any single game seats available, they average 45,542 attendance (CU is 49-50k), and pretty much all of their facilities are superior to CU (thanks to the 2004 Olympics). Their stadium only holds 45,017 and ours 53,750 but they oversell theirs and we do not and must do give-aways and 2-1 prices to even get close to 50k right now; while they are turning people away constantly.

The Utes have risen to national prominence over the last 6-7 years, the same period where CU has fallen from national prominence. The Utes have been to two BCS bowls and are in-line to help the MWC as a conference become automatic qualifiers, or possibly even join the Pac Ten Conference (longshot of course, but the revenue carrot for the Pac Ten could be too strong to resist in the next 4-8 years).

Back to Whittingham. We would have to pay nearly approx $2.5 million to get rid of Hawk, on top of any remaining payments to Barnett, and now most likely pay the "Buyout" price in Whittingham's 5 year extension (you can guarantee that there is one in there, with maybe a couple of schools on his "exempt" list; who knows if CU is on there?).

Yes BYU is the "main" show in the state of Utah, but Whittingham also turned down the BYU offer (his alma mater) to take the HC job at Utah in 2005.

What part of that scenario seems that there is ANY hope that Whittingham would come to Colorado?

You keep dancing around the issue. CU Athletics are not an entity on to themselves. They are a department of a larger organization.

If the player can not qualify and doesn't get in (as scores of Hawkins recruits have not) then it does not matter who we have coaching. For gods sakes another poster pointed out that Cal has lower admission standards then we do. If thats true then the pool of potential impact players just got a lot smaller and so did the coaches willing to come here and accept that short of a leash. I don't pretend to know what the poop is but I suspect there is something there is blocking success and its not just coaching. Im reading between the lines and so far I don't like the story.

The administration at CU appears to have drawn their line in the sand with athletics. How long before they move it remains to be seen.

We've been having plenty of players qualify, players quiting because of the coaches not playing them right is our main problem in players not working out here lately.

Anybody know what Utah's football budget is compared to CU's? Just a guess, but I suspect CU has a much bigger budget. He'd be paid more, his assistants would be paid more. And this crap about the one-year contracts is ridiculous. Nobody has been let go because thier contract ran out.

Never. Going. To happen.

aw look... a sheep****er heard from. how cute, sticking up for your conference like that... shouldn't you be studying for your "jacking off a bull to increase semen production" finals?

Never. Going. To happen.

Shouldn't you be worried about your own program?

why would KW leave UU for UCB?

The same reason Sonny begged to go to SC...the chance to play in a real conference. Whittingham is a stretch to come to Boulder, mainly because CU doesn't have the dough to buy out one coach, much less two, but he'd jump ship in a heartbeat to go to a BCS school....

I still think CU is a fast turnaround with the right guy, and I think there are a lot of the right guys out there who would take the job. A lot of the right guys are hungry assistants at big time programs, and a lot of them would take a chance at CU in a heartbeat.

And when I say fast turnaround, I'm talking 6-8 wins consistently, not neccesarily MNC contenders every year.

Is there anybody that agrees with that?

I don't see a scenario where Whittingham is coaching CU. Aside from the numerous reasons listed, I just don't think he's a CU type of guy.

Back