What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I'm throwing my support to Embree

I think, if I recall, you want the entire staff fired tomorrow.

I have accepted Embree will be back, so I actually want his entire staff to either sink or swim together. Token staff changes are a copout.

We need to face reality. CU lucked out in the 90s. We did not deserve the success we enjoyed with the football program. Today's situation is the reality. The Administration does not support football. The alumni does not contribute. Former players and influential media grads disassociate themselves from the program. Boulder is wonderful if you are a flaming liberal, a hash smoker, or a fanatic runner/biker. Football is not in the mix.

Jon can stick around. Nobody cares.

I call reality.

Good thing they're improving. I'd hate to have seen what that USC score would have been if they hadn't gotten so much better than they were earlier in the year.

We need to face reality. CU lucked out in the 90s. We did not deserve the success we enjoyed with the football program. Today's situation is the reality. The Administration does not support football. The alumni does not contribute. Former players and influential media grads disassociate themselves from the program. Boulder is wonderful if you are a flaming liberal, a hash smoker, or a fanatic runner/biker. Football is not in the mix.

You need to masturbate more.

I have accepted Embree will be back, so I actually want his entire staff to either sink or swim together. Token staff changes are a copout.

Other than Marshall I agree with this. I do believe that a core of our offensive problems has been the failure of the OL to play up to their ability. Since this is the same thing Marshall did at Cal I tend to call it a trend.

Other than that sink or swim together. I don't get the hate of Brown when EB has been arguably less effective as a coordinator than Brown although neither has distinguished themselves at outstanding or even mediocre so far.

Embree is going to be here one more year baring something unforseeable happening. I will support him, I hope he wins, I want him to win. I hope I am wrong but I lack any confidence that he will win and turn this thing around. I will give him credit for making this a better team that he inherited, unfortunately he hasn't made it a good enough team to compete and losing to the teams we lost to OOC this year gives strong reason to doubt he can or will get it done.

Good thing they're improving. I'd hate to have seen what that USC score would have been if they hadn't gotten so much better than they were earlier in the year.

You're kidding, but it's true. USC was scoring on an average of what, every 1.65 plays? If we didn't sustain long drives throughout the game (albeit long drives that ended in futility--read as "turnovers") it could have been much, much uglier. I did the post-game analysis and determined that we had the ball for the entire game except for 78 seconds.

Other than Marshall I agree with this. I do believe that a core of our offensive problems has been the failure of the OL to play up to their ability. Since this is the same thing Marshall did at Cal I tend to call it a trend.

Other than that sink or swim together. I don't get the hate of Brown when EB has been arguably less effective as a coordinator than Brown although neither has distinguished themselves at outstanding or even mediocre so far.

Embree is going to be here one more year baring something unforseeable happening. I will support him, I hope he wins, I want him to win. I hope I am wrong but I lack any confidence that he will win and turn this thing around. I will give him credit for making this a better team that he inherited, unfortunately he hasn't made it a good enough team to compete and losing to the teams we lost to OOC this year gives strong reason to doubt he can or will get it done.

Wow. Don't get the hate of Brown? Seen our defensive stats lately?

Is this serious?

Why is it so hard to comprehend being supportive yet being able to criticize in at least somewhat of a positive manner. They are certainly due criticism. If they go into the off season maintaining status quo, they will certainly deserve criticism. However, I do agree with Chad and Mac that you have to give them a bit more time and, though maybe not very apparent, they are getting better in some areas. Too many of you are seeing things in black and white. Look at the rainbow, man!

i dont support failure when it involves, my name, my business, or things i care about.

had too many concussions during his playing career and it is affecting his cognitive abilities and thought processes.

If they were getting better, wouldn't the margin of defeat start to diminish and they could play a competitive game?

Frankly, I do not see them getting better, but I also believe that we are stuck with Embree for at least five seasons. So, he either gets it fixed or we are in for a grueling five years.
One example Chad gave was Crawley. I did not see the game. He said Crawley was covering a first round draft pick receiver who was getting the ball from potentially the first pick in the draft. On the two TD passes, Crawley was all over him but failed to turn his head quickly enough. He said that earlier in the season, the defense would be out of position. Then they got that fixed but were missing reads and assignments. Chad feels that now they are starting to get those things corrected but are missing the nuances. Now, I know it isn't that simple. I'll tell you what will be the teller. The last 4 games. I expect to see the improvement if, indeed, they have improved like Chad and Mac believe.

One example Chad gave was Crawley. I did not see the game. He said Crawley was covering a first round draft pick receiver who was getting the ball from potentially the first pick in the draft. On the two TD passes, Crawley was all over him but failed to turn his head quickly enough. He said that earlier in the season, the defense would be out of position. Then they got that fixed but were missing reads and assignments. Chad feels that now they are starting to get those things corrected but are missing the nuances. Now, I know it isn't that simple. I'll tell you what will be the teller. The last 4 games. I expect to see the improvement if, indeed, they have improved like Chad and Mac believe.

I agree. We should be happy Crawley was put on an island. Solid coaching.

I agree. We should be happy Crawley was put on an island. Solid coaching.

Against USC somebody was going to be on an island with all the talent they had on the field. Your choices included Crawley, a limping Henderson, Orms on the TE, an injured Polk.

Easy to criticize the decision but whatever decision he made against USC was going to be the wrong one.

To his credit Brown has also been involved in recruiting some talent at his position of strength, DB. Crowley, Wright, Henderson, Mosley, Bell, Hall, all look to at least be potential players at this level.

What kind of RB talent has EB brought in?

So what Chad noticed is that a freshman is making progressively fewer mistakes over the course of starting half a season?

I'm not really impressed by that.

However, I will say that I think we have a staff of excellent position coaches. The problem is the lack of coordinator qualifications. I am overwhelmed by the fact that CU hired such an inexperienced head coach and allowed (even encouraged) him to hire rookie coordinators. Believing it was important to bring back the Buff traditions and heal the family was fine, but that can't trump every other consideration on hiring decisions or it's a recipe for disaster. And disaster is what we are seeing.

So what Chad noticed is that a freshman is making progressively fewer mistakes over the course of starting half a season?

However, I will say that I think we have a staff of excellent position coaches. The problem is the lack of coordinator qualifications. I am overwhelmed by the fact that CU hired such an inexperienced head coach and allowed (even encouraged) him to hire rookie coordinators. Believing it was important to bring back the Buff traditions and heal the family was fine, but that can't trump every other consideration on hiring decisions or it's a recipe for disaster. And disaster is what we are seeing.

disaster? No. Death spiral.

Against USC somebody was going to be on an island with all the talent they had on the field. Your choices included Crawley, a limping Henderson, Orms on the TE, an injured Polk.

Easy to criticize the decision but whatever decision he made against USC was going to be the wrong one.

To his credit Brown has also been involved in recruiting some talent at his position of strength, DB. Crowley, Wright, Henderson, Mosley, Bell, Hall, all look to at least be potential players at this level.

What kind of RB talent has EB brought in?

I don't what you are trying to argue here. I doubt you will get much resistance about EB being a poor coordinator. Frankly, trying to decide whether EB or Brown is worse is an exercise in futility. They both are bad, so it matters little.

Not watching the game and only listening on the radio, it is hard to get a sense of how the offense was doing. The sense I did get is that we were moving the ball only to turn it over. What? Five turnovers? I'm not sure how much you can blame EB for turnovers. I've actually felt the offensive play calling has gotten better.

Well, I think we all would have preferred a "home run" coach. There was too much importance placed on bringing back tradition. But you cannot hold that against the staff. Personally, I believe people can improve their job performance with experience. It happens in every profession and it happens in coaching.

Well, I think we all would have preferred a "home run" coach. There was too much importance placed on bringing back tradition. But you cannot hold that against the staff. Personally, I believe people can improve their job performance with experience. It happens in every profession and it happens in coaching.

Flashback to 2010. Did Hawk move in with you? Say hello to Misti.

Not watching the game and only listening on the radio, it is hard to get a sense of how the offense was doing. The sense I did get is that we were moving the ball only to turn it over. What? Five turnovers? I'm not sure how much you can blame EB for turnovers. I've actually felt the offensive play calling has gotten better.

In spots, I agree. 2nd half against ASU was an absolute abortion, but we took more chances and moved the ball consistently against USC. Also, I'd say it's generally been better since EB moved to the sideline and Rip took charge of the coach's box.

DBT. We're not talking about some kid just out of college that you hired for an entry level position. This is more like someone who was put in the position of running an entire division of your organization or being general manager of a project. Would you accept that type of person to learn on the job while getting incredibly subpar results for a couple years, all the while with you thinking that he's a good guy and if you're patient he'll eventually grow into the position?

DBT. We're not talking about some kid just out of college that you hired for an entry level position. This is more like someone who was put in the position of running an entire division of your organization or being general manager of a project. Would you accept that type of person to learn on the job while getting incredibly subpar results for a couple years, all the while with you thinking that he's a good guy and if you're patient he'll eventually grow into the position?
I would if I had promoted a production worker to general manager because I saw something I liked. And that's kind of the problem here. CU decided to skip the "coordinator" step. So that put us in a position where we almost have to allow some learning on the job. I would argue, then, that we need to be even a little MORE patient. But because of the dearth of success we are in, there is no patience. Kind of a Catch-22.

Back