What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Impact of Rippy for the defense

Our DEs were not consistently staying home on the QB on read option plays, which is why QBs would be untouched getting to the edge. That is correctable (we had better hope). Also, UCLA and Arizona were not pulling starters against us, we were "in" those games.

Anyone who wants to see how to stop the zone read need watch the last two Stanford vs Oregon games. The zone read leaves one DE unblocked for the QB to "read". The Stanford DE's were so athletic and assignment sound it was amazing.

That is now the Bible on how to defend the zone read. That DE better be 6'5", agile, athletic, and tough. CU has had a choice to go big or go fast, but you have to have both to play it straight up.

There are a lot of ways to stop the zone read. You want to mix up your looks and also what you are doing. It usually was not the CU DE's that were making the mistake - usually the QBs were running right up the middle on CU...our entire scheme was flawed. You can flip-flop the responsibilities of the DE and the LB making the QB read tougher (Alabama does that). Stanford and Alabama are doing it with superior athletes. CU does not have that. But our scheme seldom accounted for the QB which caused us to be killed.

th

One possible solution.

You sir, could have a future in the exciting field of collegiate strength & conditioning instruction!

CU better find some pass rushers and lb's who can cover underneath. Oh, some db's who can cover more than 2 seconds would also be appreciated.

CU better find some pass rushers and lb's who can cover underneath. Oh, some db's who can cover more than 2 seconds would also be appreciated.

The DBs were really hurt by the lack of a pass rush, it's pretty tough to cover your man for that long consistently. Rippy is that guy who can cover underneath as a LB, he's extremely athletic and has some wheels. Apparently the coaches are extremely excited about Rippy, it sounds like he just needs to gain weight, which will come as he gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of ways to stop the zone read. You want to mix up your looks and also what you are doing. It usually was not the CU DE's that were making the mistake - usually the QBs were running right up the middle on CU...our entire scheme was flawed. You can flip-flop the responsibilities of the DE and the LB making the QB read tougher (Alabama does that). Stanford and Alabama are doing it with superior athletes. CU does not have that. But our scheme seldom accounted for the QB which caused us to be killed.

It's so easy that nobody has done it consistently.

The DE has to be stout and the interior guys are outnumbered, when the DE is left unblocked. You also can't flip flop LB/DE responsibilities when the DE isn't agile enough, and everyone does that to some extent, but only a few have the athletes to make it effective.

So back to my point. You need to recruit better athletes to defend against the zone read. Especially at DE.

It's so easy that nobody has done it consistently.

The DE has to be stout and the interior guys are outnumbered, when the DE is left unblocked. You also can't flip flop LB/DE responsibilities when the DE isn't agile enough, and everyone does that to some extent, but only a few have the athletes to make it effective.

So back to my point. You need to recruit better athletes to defend against the zone read. Especially at DE.

This is the whole point.

The zone read is basically a different form of the old option which has been around for decades. The entire concept is to isolate a defender, present him with multiple responsibilities, force him to commit to one option then execute the other.

Stopping it requires that the defender be in a neutral position that forces a decision by the QB, then still be quick enough to defend that option once it is made. Last year it seemed that our DE's and OLB were often either late to the force point or when they forced the decision still not quick enough to then make the play.

This is the whole point.

The zone read is basically a different form of the old option which has been around for decades. The entire concept is to isolate a defender, present him with multiple responsibilities, force him to commit to one option then execute the other.

Stopping it requires that the defender be in a neutral position that forces a decision by the QB, then still be quick enough to defend that option once it is made. Last year it seemed that our DE's and OLB were often either late to the force point or when they forced the decision still not quick enough to then make the play.

Also requires a DE strong enough to shed the first blocker/grabber and wise enough, from enough film study, to quickly recognize the play from the get-go. CUD's recognition was never quite up to par on that.

Also requires a DE strong enough to shed the first blocker/grabber and wise enough, from enough film study, to quickly recognize the play from the get-go. CUD's recognition was never quite up to par on that.

You are completely correct. They have to develop those instincts to react instantly and also as you say be able to do it while dealing with a blocker.

Rippy and Crawley were walking around over by Will Vill last Friday. I recognized Crawley right away and saw realized Rippy was with him from the name on his CU football backpack. Rippy does not look close to 220 lbs...

Rippy and Crawley were walking around over by Will Vill last Friday. I recognized Crawley right away and saw realized Rippy was with him from the name on his CU football backpack. Rippy does not look close to 220 lbs...

More or less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Limiting your sample size to one is not good. Have 4*'s failed recently? Yes, but I'm going to go with that being a coaching failure. Being a 4* recruit does increase your chances of being successful at the college level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think you missed my point. If this thread was titled "Will Rippy reach his potential and hit the field in 2014?" - I'd not raise it as an issue.

The point being that Olugbode played this fall as a true freshman and the OP left him out of the conversation because Rippy comes in with more fanfare. I believe there may be some correlation with higher ranked recruits disappointing at CU because we give them fanfare they have yet to deserve for on-the-field play (and practice), being that 4-stars have been so rare around here. That or they just haven't been pushed.

Probably not yet at the 24 hour rule, but Adam posed the question to HCMM "Who will replace Webb" and he didn't blurt out the name of a kid no CU fan has seen practice yet, never mind hit the field, as this thread does. And that is the way it should be. A guy like Rippy has to earn his promotion over Olugbode. Competition starts in 1 month. Better show up with more than your Scout and Rivals ratings.

Might also mention that HCMM is talking about competition at CB, and I doubt he is talking about the incumbent 2-star CB, but more likely the incumbent 4-star mentioned above.

On the field, HCMM runs it more like Bill Parcells would run it. We'll get to see who the football players are here soon and who has been putting in 100% effort in the gym.

Holic got me fired up! Let's play football.

Semper Gumby

So, slide that chair of yours from the side of your mom's basement with the PC on which "Call of Duty" is installed, to the PC on the other side of the basement, on which "NCAA FB 14" is installed and strap 'em up, Burpie!

Good stuff, holic.

As far as starting linebackers, we're probably looking at Gillam and Olugdobe with the 3rd spot a battle between Rippy and Greer. Expect Watanabe to play a lot. And CU will also go with 2 LBs and a Nickel much of the time, especially against spread offenses.

Lots of parts coming together on defense, but won't mean much if we can't find a pass rusher.

Yep priority #1. Despite CUD leaving we don't lose much production. Hopefully we can get some help here from the DT's and the LB's.
Lots of parts coming together on defense, but won't mean much if we can't find a pass rusher.

Back