What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improve the game-day experience

I think that is mostly true but more fans (NFL and College) are staying home to watch football games recently.
That's really all sports fans the since the in-home experience is much better now than it was even two decades ago with HD TVs, DVR capabilities (for watching replays/pausing), you can following your fantasy teams on your computers easier than you can on your phone, and virtually every game is televised. Add onto the fact, there's no traffic, doesn't cost money $8 to buy a beer, and there's no wait time for using the bathrooms.

A bit off topic but there's a reason advertisers covet sports fans since they want to see the events in real time and aren't simply going to skip over the commercials.

I think we disagree that it is a mistake. You still want campus to look nice, so you put the bike racks off to the side so they are not right in front of the building. You basically have to walk past your bike on your way to class so it is convenient for the students. Besides engineering or business (where you probably don't need a bike anyway) the bike racks are in a convenient location for the students to grab easily on their way to class/rec center/ Norlin, the hill, pearl street and 28th street or whatever that outdoor mall is called.

What's wrong with putting them on the South side of Farrand, as opposed to the North?

Or is it longer games, lack of wifi, no beer, cop harassment and uncomfortable seating?

In your original post, you said "more fans (NFL and College) are staying home to watch football games recently."

Do you think longer games, lack of wifi, no beer, cop harassment and uncomfortable seating are a common denominator across both the NFL and College landscape?

Or is the real problem high ticket prices, high concession prices, crowds, parking, traffic, etc.?

A football game (college or NFL) has turned into an all day experience. Between traffic, parking, walking to the stadium, getting into the stadium, getting to your seat, and the same upon exit - a football game takes 5+ hours now.

Alternatively - a person can save all the money, and a lot of time, and just watch the game at home, where they can eat/drink whatever they want, where they can go to the bathroom whenever they want (and pause the game while doing so), and the whole game event is over in 2.5+ hours. There is no parking to deal with, no traffic to deal with, no expensive ticket, no expensive concessions, etc.

I think economics and time have much more to do with the decrease in people who go to football games. Again - it certainly isn't bike racks.

In your original post, you said "more fans (NFL and College) are staying home to watch football games recently."

Do you think longer games, lack of wifi, no beer, cop harassment and uncomfortable seating are a common denominator across both the NFL and College landscape?

Or is the real problem high ticket prices, high concession prices, crowds, parking, traffic, etc.?

A football game (college or NFL) has turned into an all day experience. Between traffic, parking, walking to the stadium, getting into the stadium, getting to your seat, and the same upon exit - a football game takes 5+ hours now.

Alternatively - a person can save all the money, and a lot of time, and just watch the game at home, where they can eat/drink whatever they want, where they can go to the bathroom whenever they want (and pause the game while doing so), and the whole game event is over in 2.5+ hours. There is no parking to deal with, no traffic to deal with, no expensive ticket, no expensive concessions, etc.

I think economics and time have much more to do with the decrease in people who go to football games. Again - it certainly isn't bike racks.

What part of "it's symptomatic of a larger problem" are you not getting?

Nailed it. Add in the fact that the Buffs have been dismal the past decade and you can understand exactly why the number of fans has diminished. Also, with so many games going on and on TV every day - finding an exciting game or a nationally prominent game is so much easier than it was in the past.

I agree. That is why it is important for those teams to cater to those that still want to go the games. If they are willing to pay the time and economic costs of going to the games it is imperative to make sure their time at the game is worth getting there.

I agree. That is why it is important for those teams to cater to those that still want to go the games. If they are willing to pay the time and economic costs of going to the games it is imperative to make sure their time at the game is worth getting there.

People who are going to put that time and effort into going to the game want to see a good game. They aren't spending all that time and effort to tailgate.

I agree with Sacky that it would be nice if all University concerns (student/faculty/staff well-being, academic excellence, donor integration, municipal compatibility AND the tailgating experience) were considered in all projects. And to a point the system is designed to support that. However, in the case of these bike racks (which I concur are a frustrating obstacle to tailgating at Farrand), it might be a level of detail that is a bit too much to expect full integration.

OK. It's not just one tailgater, it's about a dozen. That's a dozen folks who all pay a few thousand dollars a year for the privilige of using that space for tailgating. What the Hell is wrong with you people? They jacked around a bunch of long time donors and you're acting like it's no big deal. This sh*t doesn't happen at Texas (or Oklahoma, Nebraska, Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan...). It has nothing to do with it being a school that's not in the business of catering to a bunch of tailgaters. Those other schools are "Schools", too. If that's truly the case, just shut off the entire campus to tailgaters. It's the students campus, right? That's insane. If you want to improve the game-day experience, you stop jacking around the tailgaters. The bike racks is one example - among many - of the school jacking with the tailgaters.

People who are going to put that time and effort into going to the game want to see a good game. They aren't spending all that time and effort to tailgate.

This is flat out wrong. You're wrong. There are lot of folks who do nothing other than tailgate.

OK. It's not just one tailgater, it's about a dozen. That's a dozen folks who all pay a few thousand dollars a year for the privilige of using that space for tailgating. What the Hell is wrong with you people? They jacked around a bunch of long time donors and you're acting like it's no big deal. This sh*t doesn't happen at Texas (or Oklahoma, Nebraska, Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan...). It has nothing to do with it being a school that's not in the business of catering to a bunch of tailgaters. Those other schools are "Schools", too. If that's truly the case, just shut off the entire campus to tailgaters. It's the students campus, right? That's insane. If you want to improve the game-day experience, you stop jacking around the tailgaters. The bike racks is one example - among many - of the school jacking with the tailgaters.

Have you surveyed the bike racks at all those schools?

Look I agree with you on the cops thing. There is definitely a communication problem between security, the AD and the tailgaters so maybe you should focus on things like that instead of bitching about bike racks. There is a good chance that Franklin field will no longer be a tailgating spot and you really are going to hear some bitching then.

So why don't you set up the tailgate on the south side of Farrand hall where there are no bike racks?

Ah, the great issue of our day and age has finally been surfaced: the Colorado University bike rack controversy. Nice work men!

Look I agree with you on the cops thing. There is definitely a communication problem between security, the AD and the tailgaters so maybe you should focus on things like that instead of bitching about bike racks. There is a good chance that Franklin field will no longer be a tailgating spot and you really are going to hear some bitching then.

So why don't you set up the tailgate on the south side of Farrand hall where there are no bike racks?

I'm not the one making a big deal about the bike racks! It was one thing, among about 10 suggestions I made. It's a bunch of other people who seem to be making this out to be the one thing I'm pointing out. It's very simple - you either value the folks who are setting up those tailgates or you do not. If you truly value them, you find a better spot for the bike racks. It's not hard.

I would gladly set up on the South side of Farrand if there was a parking spot there. There isn't. As it stands, I'll *probably* end up over by the Music school again next year, depending on whether we have access to that again.

I'm not the one making a big deal about the bike racks! It was one thing, among about 10 suggestions I made. It's a bunch of other people who seem to be making this out to be the one thing I'm pointing out. It's very simple - you either value the folks who are setting up those tailgates or you do not. If you truly value them, you find a better spot for the bike racks. It's not hard.

I would gladly set up on the South side of Farrand if there was a parking spot there. There isn't. As it stands, I'll *probably* end up over by the Music school again next year, depending on whether we have access to that again.

so tailgaters should have convenience, but not students.

so tailgaters should have convenience, but not students.

You guys are just doing this to mess with me, now. Aren't you? It's like a game, right? Can we make sacky's head explode? Congratulations, you're getting close.

I find it difficult to get to the game, but if there were more bike racks, near the stadium, I could ride right up and go on in with no hassle.

I find it difficult to get to the game, but if there were more bike racks, near the stadium, I could ride right up and go on in with no hassle.

I know you're goofing around, but this isn't necessarily a bad idea. Just keep the bike racks away from the tailgate spots and I'm all for it.

Sacky, I agree with you a lot, but I'm sorry, you're wrong here: you absolutely are the one making a big deal out of the bike racks. :lol:

Too bad that someone couldn't design a bike rack that could be removed on game day and locked to cemented posts the other 359 days a year....

Why stop at bike racks? Why not just take away all parking on campus? In fact, why are we allowing tailgaters on campus at all? Come to think of it, what do we need with fans, either? Why not tear down Folsom and replace it with a big recycling center? Or a giant set of bike racks? Yeah. What a great idea. We don't need fans, we don't need a football team. We don't need any of that stuff. Just put sh*t wherever we want to.

[video=youtube;HY-03vYYAjA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA[/video]

Why stop at bike racks? Why not just take away all parking on campus? In fact, why are we allowing tailgaters on campus at all? Come to think of it, what do we need with fans, either? Why not tear down Folsom and replace it with a big recycling center? Or a giant set of bike racks? Yeah. What a great idea. We don't need fans, we don't need a football team. We don't need any of that stuff. Just put sh*t wherever we want to.

are you being sarcastic?

Back