What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improve the game-day experience

Reading thru this thread it is clear:

1. Hokie, Tante and the Lt.Col (and untold masses) enjoy f'ing with Sacky
2. None of the above stated deserve to partake in the rich spoils and game-day experience that is Sackygate
3. CU in general (those planning game-day experience) could give a rat's ass about tailgating in general.
4. Bike racks are a symptom, not the cause of the problems with lack of consideration for the tailgating experience.
5. No surprise that the CU game-day experience is lacking when several "dedicated" fans (ie- ABers) would rather stay home and veg on the couch than come to Folsom in person.
6. Nothing has been gained, but Sacky's head may be suffering a "Total Recall" moment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 102
I can actually picture myself talking to Sacky at a Sackygate about the bike racks. I can actually picture him bitching and it is making me laugh.

I think that is mostly true but more fans (NFL and College) are staying home to watch football games recently.

Attendance is only declining by 2 % while CU's average Attendance dropped over 15%. CUs problem is not just people staying home to watch the game (which many people cannot do if they don't have the PAC-12 network.)

Attendance is only declining by 2 % while CU's average Attendance dropped over 15%. CUs problem is not just people staying home to watch the game (which many people cannot do if they don't have the PAC-12 network.)

CU's attendance dropped because the product on the field has been terrible for the past 5+ years.

CU's attendance dropped because the product on the field has been terrible for the past 5+ years.

CU's attendance dropped for a lot of reasons, most notably a crappy game day experience. Since you don't attend what the heck do you know about it.

Some reasons the game day experience sucks.

- Game times have become ridiculous.
- Tailgating has diminished to nothing...we were shut down twice this year by the CU Police for having alcohol - the first time in over 20 years of doing the same thing.
- Concessions have ridiculous lines and are out of items early in the game.
- Restroom facilities are inadequate especially on the West side.

CU's attendance dropped for a lot of reasons, most notably a crappy game day experience. Since you don't attend what the heck do you know about it.

- Tailgating has diminished to nothing...we were shut down twice this year by the CU Police for having alcohol - the first time in over 20 years of doing the same thing.
Most notably is the product on the field.

You go to a restaurant, no matter the atmosphere, if the food sucks, the place is going to have a hard time surviving. Yes, there's some exceptions, sports bars don't have to have great food to survive for example but by-and-large, you need to deliver with what you're selling and in this case it's football.

I do not think the game day experience at Folsom is "bad", "crap" or "sucks" -- regardless whether CU makes changes, I still plan on attending each home game this year. Now, I think there are things that CU (any university for that matter) could do to improve the game day experience. Most of the suggestions ITT have been reasonable.

What's the deal with the police and alcohol at tailgates? Sacky's OP was bitching about the cops and BNG says his group got hassled twice. Does CU not have designated drinking and non-drinking tailgate areas? The one tailgate I spent any time at last year there was plenty of alcohol consumption and nobody hassled us (can't remember the lot, but it was right off of 28th).

I believe that attendance is primarily a function of team success:
  • Compete for a BCS title (or whatever we're calling it now) and nothing else will be that important -- fans will pay $$$ to stand in the upper corner of the endzone, if necessary, holding their piss for 3 hours should the bathroom line be too long.
  • Now, since that's not likely to happen in the next two years, I think improving other aspects of the gameday experience has merit.

Anecdotal stuff, but the top reasons I hear people say they prefer to watch games at home versus live in person are: ticket + parking cost, refreshment cost and options (mostly food, weed and alcohol), weather, parking/time/hassle of getting to and from the game, ability to skip through commercials on DVR (those of you who claim sports is "DVR-proof" are mistaken) and not having to use stadium restrooms (100% female generated complaint). Oh, and since joining Allbuffs, "bike racks" and "kickoffs after my bedtime" have now been added to that list (where's that 'shaking head' emoticon I asked for?).

169 days until college football.

I do not think the game day experience at Folsom is "bad", "crap" or "sucks" -- regardless whether CU makes changes, I still plan on attending each home game this year. Now, I think there are things that CU (any university for that matter) could do to improve the game day experience. Most of the suggestions ITT have been reasonable.

What's the deal with the police and alcohol at tailgates? Sacky's OP was bitching about the cops and BNG says his group got hassled twice. Does CU not have designated drinking and non-drinking tailgate areas? The one tailgate I spent any time at last year there was plenty of alcohol consumption and nobody hassled us (can't remember the lot, but it was right off of 28th).

• Compete for a BCS title (or whatever we're calling it now) and nothing else will be that important -- fans will pay $$$ to stand in the upper corner of the endzone, if necessary, holding their piss for 3 hours should the bathroom line be too long.
  • Now, since that's not likely to happen in the next two years, I think improving other aspects of the gameday experience has merit.

Anecdotal stuff, but the top reasons I hear people say they prefer to watch games at home versus live in person are: ticket + parking cost, refreshment cost and options (mostly food, weed and alcohol), weather, parking/time/hassle of getting to and from the game, ability to skip through commercials on DVR (those of you who claim sports is "DVR-proof" are mistaken) and not having to use stadium restrooms (100% female generated complaint). Oh, and since joining Allbuffs, "bike racks" and "kickoffs after my bedtime" have now been added to that list (where's that 'shaking head' emoticon I asked for?).

Winning will usually solve those "problems."

It's a simple effing question. What would improve the game-day experience? I'm not looking for arguments, here. Apparently, some folks think doing nothing at all will improve the game day experience. :bang:

From 2000 to 2011 - the Buffs averaged right at 50,000 fans per home game.
In 2012 - the Buffs averaged 45,000 fans per home game.
In 2013 - the Buffs averaged 38,463 fans per home game.

Now, do I hear you correctly, that you are blaming concession lines, restroom facilities and game times (as well as poor tailgating support) for the drop in attendance!?!

Did something happen to the restrooms from 2011-2013 to spark a 12,000 reduction in attendance?
Did something happen to the concession stands from 2011-2013 to spark a 12,000 reduction in attendance?

Were the game times so drastically different in 2013 than in previous years?? Football game times in 2013 were largely dictated by TV. The game times in 2013 were 6pm (Central Ark), 4pm (Oregon), noon (Charleston Southern), 6pm (Arizona), 3:30pm (Cal) and 7:30pm (USC).

It is interesting that in 2011, the Buffs played USC at 7:00 pm and 50,000+ showed up to the game. In 2013, the game was played at essentially the same time (7:30pm) Unfortunately, because the bathrooms had deteriorated so significantly and the lines at the concession stands had become so terrible - only 36,000 fans appeared to watch the game. I'll grant you, it was very cold that day - 10 degrees colder in 2013 than it was when USC came to Boulder in 2011. (Of course, the weather doesn't explain why only 38,000 showed up for the 50+ degree weather the week before against Cal.)

Want good attendance to football games -- put a good product on the field.

From 2000 to 2011 - the Buffs averaged right at 50,000 fans per home game.
In 2012 - the Buffs averaged 45,000 fans per home game.
In 2013 - the Buffs averaged 38,463 fans per home game.

Now, do I hear you correctly, that you are blaming concession lines, restroom facilities and game times (as well as poor tailgating support) for the drop in attendance!?!

Did something happen to the restrooms from 2011-2013 to spark a 12,000 reduction in attendance?
Did something happen to the concession stands from 2011-2013 to spark a 12,000 reduction in attendance?

Were the game times so drastically different in 2013 than in previous years?? Football game times in 2013 were largely dictated by TV. The game times in 2013 were 6pm (Central Ark), 4pm (Oregon), noon (Charleston Southern), 6pm (Arizona), 3:30pm (Cal) and 7:30pm (USC).

It is interesting that in 2011, the Buffs played USC at 7:00 pm and 50,000+ showed up to the game. In 2013, the game was played at essentially the same time (7:30pm) Unfortunately, because the bathrooms had deteriorated so significantly and the lines at the concession stands had become so terrible - only 36,000 fans appeared to watch the game. I'll grant you, it was very cold that day - 10 degrees colder in 2013 than it was when USC came to Boulder in 2011. (Of course, the weather doesn't explain why only 38,000 showed up for the 50+ degree weather the week before against Cal.)

Want good attendance to football games -- put a good product on the field.

When were the bike racks put in?

More importantly, have you taken the Mrs to Casa Bonita yet?

Semper Gumby

I never even heard of that place before joining AB. I like good Mexican but not a fan of Chuckee Cheez type restaurants (is that what CB is? Google results leave me confused as to what it's all about)

//first ever post with tapatalk -- my move to the 21st

We found Efrains in Boulder though -- much recommended.

More importantly, have you taken the Mrs to Casa Bonita yet?

Semper Gumby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's winning game. It's always been winning. Hell, just take students for example. I don't recall ever having trouble selling out our student allotment, last year we struggled to sell 7K. And many of those 7K were pissed they were forced to buy FB to get BB. WIN WIN WIN.

Also, hate to admit it, but noticeable difference with big XII fans no longer filling up the visitor section. And we already know this, but the BIG drop last year was RG not giving away thousands of tix every game like Bohn did. It's been a problem for a while, just masked a bit better.

Four easy fixes.
Tell the CU PD to GTFO and leave the adults alone.

Open up the gates to students.

Offer priority points to students who are inside 20 mins before kick off

BEER BEER BEER

From phone

I never even heard of that place before joining AB. I like good Mexican but not a fan of Chuckee Cheez type restaurants (is that what CB is?

Its much worse than Chuckee Cheez.Go just so you can say you did.

I don't give a hairy rats ass about anything else inside Folsom on gameday except the ****ing score.If the Buffs win I had a good experience.If they get their doors blown off,I had a ****ty experience.

Chuck e cheese is gourmet compared to casa Bonita.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back