What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvement

This has got to be a joke. You really think last years team that got smoked by almost every team was better because they beat a couple FCS teams? Let me remind you ASU had their second string in last year BEFORE halftime. This year we take them to the wire and outplayed them in every aspect. We are a top 40 offensive team in NCAA. Last year we were not even in top 100. AND against better competition this year. By any objective measure this team is leaps and bounds ahead of last year. Yes record doesn't always reflect that but anyone who watches this team should see a profound difference between last year and this year.

To the wire? No. But yes, the offense has improved a ton despite the run game being mediocre again. Defense is still bad and can't stop the run. Progress is there, but we have to stop with this moral victory BS. 2015 needs to be a winning season and bowl game, no excuses.

The fan base is dwindling. Winning should help, but we lost out on a decade of kids as potential fans. Hopefully winning will turn them around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OFFENSE has improved and the games have been closer. How long we going to hang a hat on that? CU needs to get 6 wins next year and a bowl game, the fane base is dwindling as we speak. WIN, stop with excuses and just win. I like the direction other than our out of touch DC.
We need 7 wins next year.

We will really see over the next 6 games. CU's SOS has been low so far but that is about to change. USC, Arizona, Oregon, and UTAH are all ranked with UCLA and Washington both getting votes. So the next 6 games will really measure any improvement.

We will really see over the next 6 games. CU's SOS has been low so far but that is about to change. USC, Arizona, Oregon, and UTAH are all ranked with UCLA and Washington both getting votes. So the next 6 games will really measure any improvement.
I was under the impression Cal was much improved - until I watched them get absolutely stuffed at home by an average UW team. The next several weeks will be very interesting.

I was under the impression Cal was much improved - until I watched them get absolutely stuffed at home by an average UW team. The next several weeks will be very interesting.

You realize the injury bug bit a mediocre Cal "D" rather hard, right? Three starters out and a couple more playing injured.

And that the fragility of their psyche was badly rattled on that first quarter 99-yd fumble return by UW? 14 point turnaround in less than twenty seconds killed their momentum and morale.

Sorta emphasizes the point about why that no-fumble call on Tedric's return was so crucial in the Cal game : would have put the Buffs up 28-7 at a time when the "D" was dominating and the "O" was hot.

Last edited:
Listening to Joe and Irv at lunch, :lol: So, a guy who is "not a CU fan" called in and said, "You know guys, the Buffs are greatly improved" and Joe went off saying "I disagree with you. They will only win 2 games this year. They were out coached by Oregon St. They should have won that game. They lack speed at quarter back." The guy said, "What does speed at quarterback have to do with anything?" Joe says "You have to have a fast quarterback."

The caller prior to that mentioned that McCartney had gone on record is saying the team has shown great improvement but Joe and Irv also disagreed with that. I guess, and maybe rightfully so, it's all about the wins. Especially in the media and among "fans" who pay no attention.

Whatever. For some reason, I get the feeling that Joe and Irv have some sort of agenda Maybe its an anti Mike McIntyre thing. That's all I can think of. Maybe Mac wouldn't give them an interview or got angry in an interview or something.

Last edited:
I got interviewed by Irv and Joe for an event I was working on about 10 years ago. It was philanthropic, thus my pockets were not full of jing as I was approached to speak with them. Irv completely ripped my a** just before I went on the air trying to shake me up for ad revenue.... It was memorable. Coach Irv.....

DBT what channel they on these days? Joe still talking about baby back ribs? :lol:

I got interviewed by Irv and Joe for an event I was working on about 10 years ago. It was philanthropic, thus my pockets were not full of jing as I was approached to speak with them. Irv completely ripped my a** just before I went on the air trying to shake me up for ad revenue.... It was memorable. Coach Irv.....

DBT what channel they on these days? Joe still talking about baby back ribs? :lol:
That's one way to warm up an interviewee!

94.1 at noon. Thus my lunch break. They're the only local guys that talk college football.

Irv's probably butt-hurt over his kid getting the boot at CU. Too bad, they used to be solid supporters of the program. **** 'em if they're gonna be that way.

How big can their sudience possibly be?

The Buffs have obviously improved. If they can manage a win or two down the stretch, they'll earn a few converts.

When I left Denver 20 years ago, I thought Irv was well beyond the relevant stage. I cannot believe he is still on the scene. What a dick.

From today's buffzone:

CU is averaging 476.7 yards of total offense per game, which is more than 100 yards of improvement over last season. CU hasn't averaged more than 400 yards of offense per game over the course of an entire season since 2001 when it won the Big 12 Conference championship and rose as high as No. 3 in the national polls.

In case we still actually want to debate 'improvement'.
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_26734664/cu-football-buffs-record-setting-offense-staring-at

I am honestly surprised that Irv and Joe are still on the air. I really thought they got canned at whatever station they were at 5 years ago and never got picked up by anybody else.

At one time, they were the biggest sports talk show in town.

I am honestly surprised that Irv and Joe are still on the air. I really thought they got canned at whatever station they were at 5 years ago and never got picked up by anybody else.

At one time, they were the biggest sports talk show in town.
Irv is in the 82'ish age. Joe is probably pushing 70. I just like that they talk college sports. Every other local show is nothing but non stop Broncos and I've just gotten sick of incessant Bronco's talk. How the hell can you discuss the Broncos 10 hours a day, every damned day?

For those who aren't seeing improvement and are only looking at the number of wins, I don't think they comprehend just how far the Buffs were from being able to win football games.

For those who aren't seeing improvement and are only looking at the number of wins, I don't think they comprehend just how far the Buffs were from being able to win football games.

This ^ 2

You need to be in a game, before you can win it.

Add to that, they are one of the youngest teams in America and the Pac 12. The future potential looks very bright.

Buffs point differential - 2014: 31.7 to 35.7 compared to 2013: 25.4 & 38.3 2012: 17.8 & 4 and 2011: 19.8 & 36.5
Buffs Yards Per Game - 2014: 476.7 to 419 compared to 2013: 369.9 & 468 2012: 302.8 & 488.5 and 2011: 346.3 to 439.3
These are the two main measurable in improvement. For the first time in years, the Buffs are putting up more yardage than their opponent. In 2012 we were -185.7 ypg and -28.2 ppg compared to our 2014 +57.7 ypg and -4 ppg.

The main areas for improvement and the difference in these losses becoming wins is penalties and turnovers. Defensively we have been called for more pass interference penalties than we have in years. Against Oregon State a key turnover turned to a key penalty. The Buffs have also played better pass coverage and got some penalties that were B.S. I honestly would rather see a 15 yd penalty than an 80 yard touchdown. Some of these penalties have been bull**** as evident by the OSU game.

The Buffs have actually improved getting to the quarterback, but need to average closer to 3 sacks a game than 2 sacks a game to make that next stride.

The Buffs are improving. Unless you are a hater and just finding a reason to point out the one negative, Win-Loss, than you are full of **** and deserve a falcon punch to your groin. I digress!

The Buffs need to put the ball in the end zone, get some key stops and get some turnovers and instead of 2-4 and hoping for a win or two more for respectability, we are hoping for those to get to a bowl. The Buffs are improved. Now they need to finish strong and make strides because 2015 has to be a bowl year or else there is reason to panic and create controversy. Until then, blow hards like Jizzla and others can talk ****. Buffs are starting 4-0 in 2015 and are going to get to a bowl. We just have to endear the learning/improvement curve until then.

I'm surprised to see so much enthusiasm for the defense.
I'm not enthusiastic for the defense. The defense is why we haven't won more. But, still, I see improvement even in the defense. Especially since the csu game. But I cringe when we have to give the ball back to the opponents offense. For us, the best defense is a good offense.

Defense isn't good. With the offense we can see the direct impact an actual good Coordinator has (Lindgren). Baer's not the answer

Defense isn't good. With the offense we can see the direct impact an actual good Coordinator has (Lindgren). Baer's not the answer
I'm neither hot nor cold on Baer. I think the defensive play has improved over the year a bit. They've played well in spurts.

I'm surprised to see so much enthusiasm for the defense.

I have a major issue with how poor our LB play has been and expected a ****ty defensive line with only an average DE converting to DT back and a bunch of youth. McCartney has shown flashes and Coleman and a couple other young guys are starting to do the same. I like our secondary. Henderson is honestly the biggest liability which is funny compared to the previous 3 year. Have improved. Still have many miles to go. Big play is still a killer and too frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been very happy with the play of the secondary. I thought that we'd struggle when Bell went down. And we did for a while. But TT has stepped up and is a much better player than I thought.

Agree with the LB play. I expected some mistakes and growing pains from them, but I also expected a lot more playmaking. Hasn't been there.

On the DL, I'm disappointed with the DTs and pleasantly surprised by the DEs.

In all, the defense has flashed enough to show what it could be. But those flashes aren't often enough and there's a real problem with inability to cause turnovers. And at times, they've been shredded -- both by explosive plays and by long, methodical drives against them.

The offense we have shown this year has some deficiencies but it is good enough to win games with.

The defense we have seen this year is better than in recent years but still is not good enough to consistently win games with.

We haven't shown that we can stop team that run the read option reasonably well, we haven't been able to stop off-tackle runs, we haven't been effective in short yardage. Our linebackers have been exposed in coverage repeatedly. Biggest issue is that outside of Tedric nobody is producing turnovers.

As mentioned above we do have some offensive issues as well but with a solid defense we could live with those.

The other issue is that our special teams are in some ways getting better but also are not up to standard. You cannot consistently give the other team the ball the at the 35 on kick-offs. You need to be better on returns.

Going forward I think our offense will continue to advance. Special teams will get better as well with better athletes coming in, I'm still questioning the quality of ST coaching.

Defensively we should get better as our young guys continue to develop. We are playing freshmen at DE and a number of other spots. What I question is how much better some of the guys we have will get. Olugbode seems to have regressed this year and unless Rippy wakes up big time we have no other young OLBs already on the roster. Inside we need Gillam to get healthy. Outside of that it's freshmen again and I won't count on them until we see them on the field performing.

With all of this negativism I still expect us to win some games next year that we are losing this year.

If you are still a Buff fan after all these miserable years you know what it means to have patience. Now that we are going the right way again it is going to take a little bit more patience before we get where we want to be but at least it is a patience of anticipation instead of a patience of dread.

Back