What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvement

I'm neither hot nor cold on Baer. I think the defensive play has improved over the year a bit. They've played well in spurts.

He's probably an average coordinator. But I'm quite confused with his Front 7 recruiting. We're getting smaller rather than bigger

He's probably an average coordinator. But I'm quite confused with his Front 7 recruiting. We're getting smaller rather than bigger

2 DTs averaging 300 lbs as HSers and 3 DEs that have decent measurables. I will take that over the 235 lb. recruits hoping to turn into DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defensive improvement has stalled or gone backwards, especially considering the offensive improvement

We may have the worst LB crew in the nation (probably a little harsh). We are getting absolutely nothing out of this position and its killing the defense. I haven't seen any changes other than "we are young and let's give them time". I've seen progress in the DE position and obviously our secondary is the glue of the D. Not sure what is going on with the DT's. They seem to have regressed from last year.

We may have the worst LB crew in the nation (probably a little harsh). We are getting absolutely nothing out of this position and its killing the defense. I haven't seen any changes other than "we are young and let's give them time". I've seen progress in the DE position and obviously our secondary is the glue of the D. Not sure what is going on with the DT's. They seem to have regressed from last year.

LB could be scary next year. Severson as our 3rd LB? Oh my

Defensive improvement has stalled or gone backwards, especially considering the offensive improvement

Gillam playing hurt (as we don't have anyone healthy better than a hurt AG), combined with losing Sampdon and Hennington has killed this years gains we hoped to see on the D.

Gillam playing hurt (as we don't have anyone healthy better than a hurt AG), combined with losing Sampdon and Hennington has killed this years gains we hoped to see on the D.

Daigh has proven a very solid replacement. Unfortunately they play a hurt Gillam because Daigh isn't as efficient in pass defense. Well I want someone to not over pursue from MLB.

And for others DT has got better than first couple weeks. At least Tuopou is better than his MIA first couple games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The defensive statistical improvement can easily be explained away by the offense not going 3 and out 50+% of the time. I am not convinced the defense is any better overall than it has been the past 2-3 years.

Agreed. The defensive statistical improvement can easily be explained away by the offense not going 3 and out 50+% of the time. I am not convinced the defense is any better overall than it has been the past 2-3 years.
It´s not better with the exception of the secondary which INMO is playing actually pretty well. It is rare now that our opponents don´t have a DB draped on them most of the time. We are still having trouble getting INTs but we are contesting pretty well against good receivers. But the run defense and the LBs have regressed. That should be on Baer.

I may try to look up the stats later (maybe 'Tini can help out?). I think the defense is better even though they are giving up more per game. The other team hasn't shut down its offense in the second half this year and has to score points to stay in the game. So, I think if you compare 1st half stats from last year, you may see an improvement, even though the overall game doesn't reflect it. On the other hand, we did have a couple of games this year where we immediately spotted the other team 14.

I may try to look up the stats later (maybe 'Tini can help out?). I think the defense is better even though they are giving up more per game. The other team hasn't shut down its offense in the second half this year and has to score points to stay in the game. So, I think if you compare 1st half stats from last year, you may see an improvement, even though the overall game doesn't reflect it. On the other hand, we did have a couple of games this year where we immediately spotted the other team 14.
solid point. would like to see the breakdown.

First, I have to say Dave Plati is a phenomenal SID. The amount of information and organization is better than any other team and looks more professional as well. Here is what I got:

2013 CU By Half: 191 & 179
2013 Opponent By Half: 271 & 186

2014 CU By Half: 251 & 219
2014 Opponent By Half: 192 & 222

So the Buffs are giving up 80 yds less in the 1st half and 36 yds more in the 2nd half. Not a surprising stat to see 2nd half stats like that, especially considering what CSU, Cal and Oregon State did. That has been the difference. We have sputtered in every game we had a legitimate shot in. That has been the difference in those 3 losses. Buffs offense, while improved, needs to not get outgained by 80-100 yards in the 2nd half. Buffs have had a lot of stalled drives in second half that have killed momentum. Difference between 4-2 or 5-1 and 2-4!

It is not the overall yardage that concerns me. Giving up 5 :)wow:) yards a carry worries me more than anything. You can't win with rush defense that bad.

It is not the overall yardage that concerns me. Giving up 5 :)wow:) yards a carry worries me more than anything. You can't win with rush defense that bad.
Fair point.

It's also a fair point to state that if our defensive stats are equal or even a little worse than last year's, that we are still showing improvement because our defense is actually playing against teams trying to move the ball and score lots of points for all four quarters.

Unless, of course, we get blown the **** out in the next six games.

True. I just do not buy that youth is the overriding factor for our defensive struggles. I don't see a bunch of guys taking sizable leaps forward next season with just more experience.

I don't care if we give up 600 yards a game. Gotta get better against the run, 5 yards a carry is pathetic. Redzone D, 3rd downs, and start getting some turnovers. If we can just be solid in those areas, we will win some games. Finding a running game wouldn't hurt, helps when your D can watch.

I love the improvement discussion, but it has to start showing up in the win column. As has been pointed out, we have lost to 2 teams that we beat last year and one to the teams we beat is ranked as the worst team in the country by some. We definitely have more talent than CSU but I feel our team was out coached and as Duff pointed out our rush defense let us down in that game.

The zealots on this board can make the case about improvement but if CU is 2-10 at the end of the season then the average fan in the street is not going to care and basically we are not moving the needle.

I will have to say after following CU football for over 5 decades I do not think I have ever seen a coach get such a pass from fans as MacIntyre has received. I definitely think this staff has to start being held to a higher standard.

I love the improvement discussion, but it has to start showing up in the win column. As has been pointed out, we have lost to 2 teams that we beat last year and one to the teams we beat is ranked as the worst team in the country by some. We definitely have more talent than CSU but I feel our team was out coached and as Duff pointed out our rush defense let us down in that game.

The zealots on this board can make the case about improvement but if CU is 2-10 at the end of the season then the average fan in the street is not going to care and basically we are not moving the needle.

I will have to say after following CU football for over 5 decades I do not think I have ever seen a coach get such a pass from fans as MacIntyre has received. I definitely think this staff has to start being held to a higher standard.
They will. in 2015.

I'm surprised to see so much enthusiasm for the defense.
I have some enthusiasm for the D but not sure about Baer. The D continues to improve; outside the DBs, the D has less talent than the O.

I see progress in the D...the DL is much better than I thought they would be...particularly the play of the ends. The LBs need improvement, which a healthy Gillam will help with. It's a little concerning the weakest part of the D is coached by the DC though. You can't argue the D hasn't improved considerably though in the last 2 years, even YoY.

They will. in 2015.

This. And, the D-Line (actually the front 7) needs to improve a lot still. That was identified by many of us before any games were even played this season. In fairness, Embree knew that and focused on it in his recruiting, but unfortunately, didn't deliver.

I have some enthusiasm for the D but not sure about Baer. The D continues to improve; outside the DBs, the D has less talent than the O.

I see progress in the D...the DL is much better than I thought they would be...particularly the play of the ends. The LBs need improvement, which a healthy Gillam will help with. It's a little concerning the weakest part of the D is coached by the DC though. You can't argue the D hasn't improved considerably though in the last 2 years, even YoY.

This year is not over. No matter how the rest of the season goes, I think everyone can be happy with the direction of the offense. The defense and special teams are to be determined IMO.

So you pay them millions of $$$ and don't expect anything....I do not agree with that philosophy. If they go 2-10 and don't make any changes you are okay with that.

I expect improvement. They are doing that. Going 2-10 will be disappointing, but they are shrinking the gap with the conference. Its a tough conference to build in. Last night I was out having drinks with some friends and the discussion came around to the football team, and through the discussion it became apparent that we are not in a rebuild mode. We are starting over. The program died in 2012. This is a scratch build now. Sure we have some history and some tradition, but it is no longer relevant to the athlete we are recruiting. Welcome back to the early 80's. We have some things in place that should boost the process, but this is going to be like when Mac-1 came in. A well coached team with a few wins until we finally get 1 or 2 of the 4*'s to take a shot on us. 2015 I think is that year.

So you pay them millions of $$$ and don't expect anything....I do not agree with that philosophy. If they go 2-10 and don't make any changes you are okay with that.

Yes, until we see what 2015 holds. Their run defense is **** because they have a Safety playing MLB and two guys that couldn't start for CSU with him. Then our DL is average at best. There are improvements being made instead of great regression like we saw in Year 2 with Embree. MacIntyre has 12 months until I start ****ting on him and the staff because strides have been made. The W-L column improvements HAVE to come next year or the free pass is gone. CU hasn't had to be re-built like this since Fairbanks. Barnett had it pretty good. Hawkins destroyed at least a respectable team with his inability to coach and Embree and Co had too much to do with so little experience. Let's let the season play out and see how we start a ****ty OOC schedule before we start Jizzla-ing MacIntyre and trying to run him out of town.

If you want to be taken seriously, try and stay away from claiming people who disagree with you on this "don't expect anything." It's (1) always,or almost always, going to be untrue. (2) It's a stupid thing to say.

My expectations for this year were on the field improvement (significant) that would hopefully show in the win column, but probably wouldn't due to the schedule. They've shown that on offense, and by holding serve and playing four quarters against almost all competition so far on D, they've provided some evidence on D. They need to sustain that through the next six games to some degree. No more 49-0 halftime scores. Another win is expected, at least. So the team hasn't really met my expectations yet, but are on the way.

If they go 2 and 10, I will consider the year a disappointment and expect changes and/or a huge jump in year 3. and/or a miracle improvement in recruiting. As in, the seat gets warm. The seat will be warm even if they win 4, as my expectations for next year are a big step up from this year.

I'm comfortable with position, and you have incorrectly stated it.

This combined with the lack of forced turnovers means that we are getting the ball back on kickoffs. Can't win that way.

I'd like a few changes regardless of how we finish. I mean, if we go 6-0 to finish, ill revisit that. We need a top flight recruiter, people have to do their job, otherwise kick rocks.

We need a bowl game in 2015 (7 wins), that's my bottom-line litmus test. Anything less will be reminding me of Hawk2.0. If we only win 2 games this season I will be frustrated but knew it would be tough to get wins this year, so long as we keep things close. Hoping for (as opposed to demanding) a few staff tweaks (goodbye Neinas) this offseason would be welcome to show HCMM is willing to upgrade ion spots.

The standard goes up next season, IMO.

Back