What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvements, Renovations, and Upgrades to Folsom Field

mesh jerseys and the big BIG shoulder pads.

seems like i remember reading an article in the Camera about the Bolder Boulder considering footing the bill for Field Turf...to offset the massive insurance premium they pay to host the event on Folsom's grass surface. obviously never happened, but those numbers seem weird to me.....the BB is kind of a scam to me...i'm not going to pay 100$ to run around the town i live in when i could do it every other day of the year for free....but, that's a lot of cheese to be playing around with for a one-time event at Folsom. BB must make $$$ hand over fist.

i think the original architecture of Balch and Carlson gym, the edifices should be preserved...the entry to Carlson would be the coolest entrance to a renovated bar/alum/booster area evah. inside, don't care much...but those are classic examples of CU traditional architecture and "brand" as a school. we have Italian Tuscan style while most Unis appeal to the Gothic look. though my dad thinks (and i think it's an interesting idea) to play some basketball OOC games in Balch. small crowd, small venue. i think that would be a blast. logistics for parking maybe an issue but 10 times that many people come and go to football on Saturdays.

where would people sit to watch the games at Balch? They really don't have much seating there.

where would people sit to watch the games at Balch? They really don't have much seating there.

tall people in the back. i'm sure you can rent temp bleachers of some kind from event planners. local high schools have that kind of stuff in their multi-use gyms...on wheels...there is an upstairs on the south seat with seats. i'm not saying it's a fully formed thought, but Rockin' the Balch might make the OOC game against Stetson or State that's not a State Tech or Religious Affiliation a hot date.

seems like i remember reading an article in the Camera about the Bolder Boulder considering footing the bill for Field Turf...to offset the massive insurance premium they pay to host the event on Folsom's grass surface. obviously never happened, but those numbers seem weird to me.....the BB is kind of a scam to me...i'm not going to pay 100$ to run around the town i live in when i could do it every other day of the year for free....but, that's a lot of cheese to be playing around with for a one-time event at Folsom. BB must make $$$ hand over fist.

i think the original architecture of Balch and Carlson gym, the edifices should be preserved...the entry to Carlson would be the coolest entrance to a renovated bar/alum/booster area evah. inside, don't care much...but those are classic examples of CU traditional architecture and "brand" as a school. we have Italian Tuscan style while most Unis appeal to the Gothic look. though my dad thinks (and i think it's an interesting idea) to play some basketball OOC games in Balch. small crowd, small venue. i think that would be a blast. logistics for parking maybe an issue but 10 times that many people come and go to football on Saturdays.

Agree with Mick here - I would turn Balch into a nice Bar/Booster/Hall of fame area and maybe outfit it with large scale video and sound so you could host booster events/dinners on non game days. Keep the architecture in tact but just replace the windows with high efficiency ones.

It would really be cool if the day they finally do end up building the permanent practice facility if they make the architecture match Balch with the same type of windows etc.

I think some of the OOC games in balch would be a ton of fun. Have the team wear some throwback unis. Would be sweet.

Balch would be a great home for a CU Athletics Hall of Fame / Banquet Hall.

Balch would be a great home for a CU Athletics Hall of Fame / Banquet Hall.

The possibilities are endless. The space is huge so you could put in a full scale commerical kitchen in one end and could lease the space per season to the highest bidder + certain cut of per game profits - . Make it accessible to season ticket holders etc with a full bar and all the amenities. They coud have high end gourmet tailgate food for pre game booster events and sell "to go friendly" menu for people to eat at their seat during the games... great marketing for restaurants in either the Boulder/Denver in addition to the money they would make on sales during the game.

First off: no the Bolder Boulder does not make money hand over fist. They need sponsor dollars just to break even. The event has gotten so big that they have a full time, year-round staff to put the thing on. Secondly, the Bolder Boulder takes place in May, a full three + months before the grass is needed for football. They could rip the entire thing completely apart and it would be fine by September. I'm not sure why they have an insurance bill at all, but I won't argue that one.

I love, LOVE your idea about renovating Balch/Carlson. You're right, that space is highly under-utilized. I wonder if a full size football field practice facility could be put in there. Obviously they'd have to increase the footprint substantially. But the entrance to Carlson is sweet.

Did the Broncos have that turf when the DNC came into town? The CU CSU game was played on ****** turf right after that.

download.jpg
Easily could expand the gym on the north and south sides turn it into a full time practice facility. Even tear down the part connecting the gym and the field house and rebuild it to house an indoor field, and move the weight rooms in there also. Leave the coaches offices in Dal Ward. Turn it into the alumni/booster center. Add colorado football hall of fame.

Last edited:
Here's a list of where it's been installed:

NFL game and/or practice field installations:

Atlanta Falcons
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
New York Giants
New York Jets
Oakland Raiders
Pittsburgh Steelers
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
Tennessee Titans

NCAA D1 Link: http://www.fieldturf.com/images/downloads/ncaa-football-list.pdf

Air Force, Colorado State and Utah have all gone with it along with a host of other schools in our climate.

Broncos play on natural grass.

I was going off of Nik's post. I really have no clue who uses what, I just remember the crap conditions of that game right after the DNC.

I was going off of Nik's post. I really have no clue who uses what, I just remember the crap conditions of that game right after the DNC.

Technically, I think CU has some variant of Field Turf under the bubble. I remember working the chains for a BHS scrimmage there a few years ago. The field was in pretty bad shape, frankly.

Could someone explain why an indoor practice facility is such a big deal. Every school seems to be putting a huge emphasis on getting one built. You play in the cold, you should practice in it as well. On the rare occasions that the weather is really bad, the bubble is more then adequate. Also, if the thing is just a field with a roof and walls around it why does it cost so much?

Could someone explain why an indoor practice facility is such a big deal. Every school seems to be putting a huge emphasis on getting one built. You play in the cold, you should practice in it as well. On the rare occasions that the weather is really bad, the bubble is more then adequate. Also, if the thing is just a field with a roof and walls around it why does it cost so much?

Building/construction codes and regulations.

The cost is the mystery to me. I dont understand why a big open room costs so much. The indoor field is good for summer and early fall when we have those unpredictable thunder storms where the bubbles can be dangerous, lightning and high winds can really damage those things just look at dallas. Its something that the recruits see at other universities and want. In this climate it isnt necessary but its all about the recruiting arms race.

RuffBuff posted this picture in the fall. This is exactly what we need.

ClosedNorthEndLargerBuffVision.jpg

Technically, I think CU has some variant of Field Turf under the bubble. I remember working the chains for a BHS scrimmage there a few years ago. The field was in pretty bad shape, frankly.

about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the practice field is some kind of field turf. it gets used a lot by rugby, women's soccer and such at night under the lights or in the bubble

The cost is the mystery to me. I dont understand why a big open room costs so much. The indoor field is good for summer and early fall when we have those unpredictable thunder storms where the bubbles can be dangerous, lightning and high winds can really damage those things just look at dallas. Its something that the recruits see at other universities and want. In this climate it isnt necessary but its all about the recruiting arms race.

bubble comes down in April and goes back up at the end of Sept. or Oct.

For those of you who can't hear the current sound system, let me tell you something: It's loud as hell in sec 119.
Exactly. it is loud right next to the speakers because the have to blast it to get it to the rest of the stadium. Could be a very easy fix, more speakers.

Here's a goofy idea:

What would you think about taking the Flatirons Club and moving it to the North Endzone? What I'm saying isn't exactly to have the Flatirons Club there, but to have three levels of covered seating on the North End Zone, with a large scoreboard over top? It would completely obstruct the Dal Ward, but so what? Then put a second level on the West side to mirror what we have on the East side, complete with the luxury suites and a newly renovated Flatirons Club in the Club level? It would make the stadium a lot louder.

Off topic (somewhat) I had sex with my girlfriend in Balch my freshman year. Right at center court when no one was around. Ahh Memories of CU

Back