What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvements, Renovations, and Upgrades to Folsom Field

Could someone explain why an indoor practice facility is such a big deal. Every school seems to be putting a huge emphasis on getting one built. You play in the cold, you should practice in it as well. On the rare occasions that the weather is really bad, the bubble is more then adequate. Also, if the thing is just a field with a roof and walls around it why does it cost so much?

lets say you are comparing gyms and they are both $45 a month. One has a pool, basketball courts, climbing wall, tons of free weights and other equipment and the other has a thighmaster and jumprope, which do you choose.

Broncos play on natural grass.

I was going off of Nik's post. I really have no clue who uses what, I just remember the crap conditions of that game right after the DNC.

The list of teams in Nik's post was teams who have FieldTurf either in their stadium or on their practice fields, and in the case of the Broncos they have Field Turf at their Dove Valley facility, but Invesco has always been natural grass.

The list of teams in Nik's post was teams who have FieldTurf either in their stadium or on their practice fields, and in the case of the Broncos they have Field Turf at their Dove Valley facility, but Invesco has always been natural grass.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Not saying I'm for or against changing the grass at Folsom to turf but how cool would it be if they made the turf look like this...?
Folsom Field Turf Field.jpg
It would also have "BUFFALOES" in the end zone but I couldn't figure out how to do that. :gobuffs:

Not saying I'm for or against changing the grass at Folsom to turf but how cool would it be if they made the turf look like this...?
View attachment 11101
It would also have "BUFFALOES" in the end zone but I couldn't figure out how to do that. :gobuffs:
tumblr_lpj67eeTQR1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Could someone explain why an indoor practice facility is such a big deal. Every school seems to be putting a huge emphasis on getting one built. You play in the cold, you should practice in it as well. On the rare occasions that the weather is really bad, the bubble is more then adequate. Also, if the thing is just a field with a roof and walls around it why does it cost so much?

Look troll, I'm surprised someone who thinks they're so "genius" like you would be so incapable of understanding. It's an all-out arms race in college football. It's been that way for a dozen years now. It's about attracting recruits, and we're not going to get them with our facilities remaining in 1980 while everyone else is in 2020. Numerous programs throughout the sun-belt states have indoor practice facilities. If you can justify them there, you can certainly justify it in Colorado.

I understand the need for having an indoor practice facility to attract recruits, but I have to laugh when I know what the Broncos use for their own indoor facility. It is just a bubble, and they share it with a bunch of other local teams including youth soccer (see South Suburban Sports Dome). Unless there is dangerous weather (thunderstorms, icy conditions, extreme cold) they man up and play at their outdoor facility, which really isn't that fancy either IMO.

Oh well, we are ruled by perception in all walks of life these days,,

I am happy to see a committment to the football program by the administration, improvements need to be made and many areas need to be updated. I am looking forward to seeing if they follow through with them (regardless of what the contracts say, I'm sure they have an out if they think they need it).

I understand the need for having an indoor practice facility to attract recruits, but I have to laugh when I know what the Broncos use for their own indoor facility. It is just a bubble, and they share it with a bunch of other local teams including youth soccer (see South Suburban Sports Dome). Unless there is dangerous weather (thunderstorms, icy conditions, extreme cold) they man up and play at their outdoor facility, which really isn't that fancy either IMO.

Oh well, we are ruled by perception in all walks of life these days,,

I am happy to see a committment to the football program by the administration, improvements need to be made and many areas need to be updated. I am looking forward to seeing if they follow through with them (regardless of what the contracts say, I'm sure they have an out if they think they need it).

Apples to oranges.

:iagree: I would like to see one of the major Hotel chains ( Hyatt, Marriott, Westin )partner with the school and build a hotel either adjacent to, or on campus. The school of business could add a Hotel and Restaurant Management degree and have students staff and help (run) the place. Alumni, visiting recruits and their families would have a place stay and CU might even make a profit :nod:

I've actually hoped they would do this as well. And that way you can walk to the game. I've always stayed at the Omni, or some place out there - the drive/park situation is no fun.

tall people in the back. i'm sure you can rent temp bleachers of some kind from event planners. local high schools have that kind of stuff in their multi-use gyms...on wheels...there is an upstairs on the south seat with seats. i'm not saying it's a fully formed thought, but Rockin' the Balch might make the OOC game against Stetson or State that's not a State Tech or Religious Affiliation a hot date.

Oh puuuulease! Since the AD can now sell-out CEC for the Woffords of the world, let's cut back revenues and increase the pain factor for fans by putting a game or two back in Balch, so you can have your "Way-back Machine" to hot-date night! How 'bout they bring back the old elevated, orange wooden court full of dead spots, too? It was a riot watching JoJo White steered by the Buffs' "D", over to a spot on the court where his dribble just died! And no time clock on the baskets, just that overhead Scoreboard clock no player could see. We could then re-live the fake count-down-at-half scam all over again. Remember when I got KU's Norm Cooke to launch one from about 40 ft. with 20 secs. on the clock, with the fake countdown? Even Creedon mentioned that in his column the next day.

Oh puuuulease! Since the AD can now sell-out CEC for the Woffords of the world, let's cut back revenues and increase the pain factor for fans by putting a game or two back in Balch, so you can have your "Way-back Machine" to hot-date night! How 'bout they bring back the old elevated, orange wooden court full of dead spots, too? It was a riot watching JoJo White steered by the Buffs' "D", over to a spot on the court where his dribble just died! And no time clock on the baskets, just that overhead Scoreboard clock no player could see. We could then re-live the fake count-down-at-half scam all over again. Remember when I got KU's Norm Cooke to launch one from about 40 ft. with 20 secs. on the clock, with the fake countdown? Even Creedon mentioned that in his column the next day.

Take a deep breath. Mick posted that comment almost 2 years ago....

It's not healthy to hold it in that long

I sense you are being sarcastic, but what you describe sounds AWESOME. Sign me up!

Apples to oranges.

I understand that it is apples to oranges, that was why I had the "perception" statement in there. The recruits need to be "wowed", even if some of the pretty stuff isn't truely necessary in order to compete. I've never heard a Bronco player complain about their bubble, but they are pros and don't need to be wowed by where they practice.

Point taken, and I can't wait to see those cranes fired up (with Joel Klatt tied and gagged up top).

So I've read from some tuned in posters that an announcement would be made within days of hiring MacIntyre, or at the latest before 2013. Then others have posted we would announce it sometime around Spring Practice and the Spring Game. Hmmm

So I've read from some tuned in posters that an announcement would be made within days of hiring MacIntyre, or at the latest before 2013. Then others have posted we would announce it sometime around Spring Practice and the Spring Game. Hmmm
CU is on record as saying there will be some sort of announcement in the spring. The ongoing feasibility study is due to be complete in January.

tall people in the back. i'm sure you can rent temp bleachers of some kind from event planners. local high schools have that kind of stuff in their multi-use gyms...on wheels...there is an upstairs on the south seat with seats. i'm not saying it's a fully formed thought, but Rockin' the Balch might make the OOC game against Stetson or State that's not a State Tech or Religious Affiliation a hot date.

Sweet. And the players could all wear Chuck Taylors and short shorts . Don't we sell the Keg as it is right now?

CU will direct $1.5 million toward immediate enhancements at the Dal Ward Center for improved meeting space for the team

Okay, so maybe Embree did get ****ed on the facilities a little bit...

Linking Henderson article, but it is mainly covering the facilities. I can't say that I am happy about what I am hearing. They are calling on folks to commit financially, which is fine, and I have more than doubled my financial commitment since last year. However, I still don't see what the vision is. What is being built? What do they want built? I may commit even more if they would provide more damn answers besides "open your wallet."

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22181285/colorado-commits-mike-macintyre-asks-donors-fund-folsom

Linking Henderson article, but it is mainly covering the facilities. I can't say that I am happy about what I am hearing. They are calling on folks to commit financially, which is fine, and I have more than doubled my financial commitment since last year. However, I still don't see what the vision is. What is being built? What do they want built? I may commit even more if they would provide more damn answers besides "open your wallet."

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22181285/colorado-commits-mike-macintyre-asks-donors-fund-folsom
You are happy after reading that? I was totally bummed. I had fully expected that they were much further along with funding. Sounds like we have adopted the "Rammie Plan." :sad2:

Last edited:
You are happy after reading that? I was totally bummed. I had fully expected that they were much further along with funding. Sounds like we have adopted the "Rammie Plan." :sad2:

Yep....I thought we were much closer as well, but seems like that's not the case at all

The "whether it's a 5 year plan or a 10 year plan" comment is very concerning....I was very hopeful it was going to be a start right now type of plan

Not happy. Seems like same old same old from CU. WTF are we donating to? Where is the vision? I recognize they just made this so called commitment to CU football only a few weeks ago, but please get your act together.

Read again. I did not say that I was happy.

Back