What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvements, Renovations, and Upgrades to Folsom Field

Well, now they have to have a big press conference about this right? at least to give details and flesh out goals, needs, and exactly what the hoped for plan is? Right? No way CU is stupid enough to let it get this far, go basically into the public phase by default, and then fail to follow it up with a big public splash?

As Sacky loves to say, there is a "private" and "public" funding phase.... we better not have entered the public phase with this kind of whimper.

Well it's in the contract now, so we can't really go back now. Finally! That timeline seems like worst case scenario to me. Now let's see so drawings

To me, Folsom is awesome just how it is. Adding more "stuff" makes it worse, not better. I'm a less is more kind of guy.

Folsom badly needs a renovation. Other than the view, what makes Folsom so great? There isn't that much in its current state.

Sentimentality about Folsom is understandable, and I don't mind it so much as is, but to increase interest and respectability of potential new fans and recruits, I certainly want CU to spruce the joint up. They need to follow through with the promises this time around.

Well it's in the contract now, so we can't really go back now. Finally! That timeline seems like worst case scenario to me. Now let's see so drawings

You are correct.

I just had coffee with someone from the AD. That 2014 date is the "as long as it can possibly go", not what is targeted/planned/expected.

To the point about improvements for the CEC. If we sell out every game this year then I think you can start talking expansions and renovations. Until then there is not much point.

With football. The expansion to folsom is not going to be huge. The biggest change will be the west side boxes and the demo of balch field house. Other than that its more of just updating the stadium and getting it up to date from a technological stand point and doing some house keeping that should have been done a long time ago with regards to bathroom improvements, and concessions.

To me, Folsom is awesome just how it is. Adding more "stuff" makes it worse, not better. I'm a less is more kind of guy.

They need to close the stadium and increase the size of the screens. It's time to join the big boys. The bleachers are horrible and have been that way for 20+ years. Press box improvements, those are the guys saying things around the country about the program, improving the press box is a subtle way of getting better press which helps everything. The bathrooms...already mentioned. You look around the nation and you can see that the stadium is really aging fast. The space under the bleachers needs to be enclosed, better use of space and permanent food and beverage areas. Enclosing the stadium also lets you expand the locker rooms, trainings rooms, weight rooms. Create and underground tunnel from the stadium to the indoor practice facility, big enough to drive stadium cart through. I always thought a weight room, training room, and offices that overlooked the mountains would be an instant recruiting tool for coaches and recruits.

They can still keep the look of Folsom and also making enhancements.

They need to close the stadium and increase the size of the screens. It's time to join the big boys. The bleachers are horrible and have been that way for 20+ years. Press box improvements, those are the guys saying things around the country about the program, improving the press box is a subtle way of getting better press which helps everything. The bathrooms...already mentioned. You look around the nation and you can see that the stadium is really aging fast. The space under the bleachers needs to be enclosed, better use of space and permanent food and beverage areas. Enclosing the stadium also lets you expand the locker rooms, trainings rooms, weight rooms. Create and underground tunnel from the stadium to the indoor practice facility, big enough to drive stadium cart through. I always thought a weight room, training room, and offices that overlooked the mountains would be an instant recruiting tool for coaches and recruits.

They can still keep the look of Folsom and also making enhancements.

You are stuck with the screens we have for another 10 years or so.

I kind of like the new screens. At least the North one.

So do I, I think they are a huge upgrade over what we previously had, they are up to date, and they aren't so big as to take away from the stadium experience. With those monster screens that some schools have it is difficult to even watch the football game on the field.

So do I, I think they are a huge upgrade over what we previously had, they are up to date, and they aren't so big as to take away from the stadium experience. With those monster screens that some schools have it is difficult to even watch the football game on the field.

:nod:

If I want to watch the game on a flat screen, I'll stay home. Stadium screens are supposed to enhance the live game atmosphere, not dominate it.

Thinking about it, I'd bet they have more funding in place than they are letting on. They want donors, however, to feel the need to donate. The more they get, the less they must borrow.

no field turf, unless it's black, silver, and gold. The turf gets really hot and gross, but it can look cool if you do it right (but not a standard green field).

Thinking about it, I'd bet they have more funding in place than they are letting on. They want donors, however, to feel the need to donate. The more they get, the less they must borrow.

The manner in which Embree was let go, the public nature of Solich entertaining Bitch Jones and the inclusion of upgrades in MikeMac's contract all lead me to believe that there is a significant first contribution step already made.

I think the first order of business is to improve the scoreboards and sound system.

Something else I'd look at is installing field turf. It ends up saving the school money and may increase our home field advantage and differentiate us from other Pac-12 schools. Almost all of them play on grass. Further, it helps generate revenue because you can have events at Folsom without having to worry so much about tearing up the field.

There are 2 big projects I like. One is renovating the press club along with expanding the Flatirons Club (West). I'd love to see that extend from the 10 yard line on the North to the goal line on the South. With this, something needs to be done with Balch. The other one is an expansion of Dal Ward that includes an enclosure of the North end zone and dedicated tunnels for players and Ralphie to run out of. These two would increase seating capacity a bit, but not by a whole lot. Maybe we'd get to 60k with these moves. More importantly, they would add premium seats while making the stadium louder.

P.S. The football improvement I really want to see isn't a Folsom or Dal Ward project. I want to see a permanent indoor facility with a regulation field that can double as a practice & training facility where our indoor T&F team also competes.

They just added new video boards. Not the biggest in the world and I was a tad disappointed with the one on horseshoe end, but gotta stick with it for a while now. How do you justify spending a few million on a new board and replacing it one year later? There are def other improvements you mentioned which should take precedence

They just added new video boards. Not the biggest in the world and I was a tad disappointed with the one on horseshoe end, but gotta stick with it for a while now. How do you justify spending a few million on a new board and replacing it one year later? There are def other improvements you mentioned which should take precedence

The post from me that you quoted was made in February of 2011. :smile2:

Swing and a miss...

Back