What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvements to the CECC

coereg

Ok, let's dream a little bit and say that CU does indeed get basketball on track here, under Bzdelik & M-Miller.

Now we all know of the NEW practice/training facility that will supposedly ground-break this April (check out the NW corner behind Sect. 24. There's a full description and generated pics of what this will look like). Anyway, this will also revamp the outside of the North wall of the Events Center too; it even looks like the ticket purchase area will be completely re-done as more of an outside walk-up.

Ok, back to the point, so let's again say that on top of all of this, CU Basketball (both Mens & Womens) really starts to pick things up like we all hope and can see them doing in the next 2 to 3 years. There is clearly more work that will be required inside the Events Center if CU hopes to somewhat even the playing field with the conference. What's next for the Events Center?

Your thoughts ...

expand to the minimum number of seats to host an NCAA regional game.

A good step would be ribbon boards on the sides and video boards on the ends.

Also, I'd like to see improvements to concessions and merchandising.

Parking must also be addressed. Not just for games, but if there is any chance of making money off other events such as concerts. Rt 36 access directly to a new parking structure near the CECC would make a huge difference and would also help attendance for football and other sports. There's got to be room for an exit ramp somewhere between Baseline and Colorado.

Long-term, we need to investigate whether we can raise the roof in order to add about 4-6k seats and have a 4-sided video board with laser/light show capability and upgraded sound system hanging over center court. If the existing structure won't support that, we'll eventually need to build a new facility.

Well if we are really dreaming, lets expand and upgrade that puppy so we can get a hockey team.

Well if we are really dreaming, lets expand and upgrade that puppy so we can get a hockey team.

I'm all for that, too. Have to be hockey teams because of Title IX or whatever they may be calling it these days. But I'd guess that CU would do pretty well in hockey and have a damn good chance of running it as cash flow positive.

I think if they added hockey it would be a huge expense and would be really hard to break even. Plus we would then need another practice center for hockey.

We already have/had a very competitive club hockey program at CU expanding that to the competitive level would be easier than you are assuming.

Also, while I love on-campus arenas, I'd see CU Hockey in a new stadium (or major remodel of CECC) as a really long-term idea. In the near-term, if we had the money and resources to make Men's and Women's Hockey varsity sports, the way to go would be to play at the Odeum Colorado (formerly Broomfield Event Center).

Would it be possible for the team to practice at the Ice Arena on campus? Or would it need major upgrades to locker room and whatnot first?

Also, while I love on-campus arenas, I'd see CU Hockey in a new stadium (or major remodel of CECC) as a really long-term idea. In the near-term, if we had the money and resources to make Men's and Women's Hockey varsity sports, the way to go would be to play at the Odeum Colorado (formerly Broomfield Event Center).

Would it be possible for the team to practice at the Ice Arena on campus? Or would it need major upgrades to locker room and whatnot first?

Club team already practices and plays their games there, it isnt a great solution but it is probably better (comparatively) than what the B-ball teams have right now. The biggest challenge when i played there was the ice conditions, but some small improvements to the entrances and increase ice maintenance would solve a lot of that. The biggest issue is the fac tthat student services also uses that Ice for free skates/broom ball etc. So you'd have to displace the students during prime hours for the team to practice.

There's got to be room for an exit ramp somewhere between Baseline and Colorado.

Long-term, we need to investigate whether we can raise the roof in order to add about 4-6k seats and have a 4-sided video board with laser/light show capability and upgraded sound system hanging over center court. If the existing structure won't support that, we'll eventually need to build a new facility.

it's always been unclear if not outright mysterious to me why the CEC was built into the side of that hill less than 300 yards from 36/28th with no access.

i don't know if adding seats is the answer (and if so, digging down would probably less expensive....i've seen mention of teams invariably doing that). personally, if a new facility were to be built....i like the idea of going smaller like they've done at UVA's new gym (which is totally sweet). i've also wondered what the pricetag on the Broomfield/Odeon was....and in a perfect world rebuild an on-campus gym on the site of the CEC and maybe play in Broomfield for a year....or even play some of the non-con games with 2500 people in the stands in Balch. might be fun.

i've been going to the CEC for 25 years and i'm sure smarter people have tried to pose all kinds of alternatives but it sure seems like CU got "it's money's worth" on a 30 year gym...too bad the fiscal situation is such that we can't move forward. it seems like lipstick on a pig to me. that said, i'm not a CEC hater....i think when it's full it's a solid gym with good to very good sightlines. no real bad seats in the house.

though, the CEC, Kittridge to a large degree, the planetarium and even extending towards where the B School has expanded was a colossal waste of space given CU's main campus space limitations. Kittridge is kind of cool but a very inefficient use of finite space.

just out of curiosity, what is the fascination with ribbon boards? i'm been to Pepsi and a few college gyms that have them but for the cost they just seem like window dressing.

Last edited:
Club team already practices and plays their games there, it isnt a great solution but it is probably better (comparatively) than what the B-ball teams have right now. The biggest challenge when i played there was the ice conditions, but some small improvements to the entrances and increase ice maintenance would solve a lot of that. The biggest issue is the fac tthat student services also uses that Ice for free skates/broom ball etc. So you'd have to displace the students during prime hours for the team to practice.

i have not been myself, but my understanding is the club team draws some big crowds. SRO type stuff for CU-CSU, i use the rec center and recall seeing a "total capacity" warning the day of a game and was pretty surprised. 1500 or something.

That is pretty correct from my days at CU, plus you could BYOB.

just out of curiosity, what is the fascination with ribbon boards? i'm been to Pepsi and a few college gyms that have them but for the cost they just seem like window dressing.

I have to assume for the ability to sell advertising on them. Other than that, I personally think they're generally obnoxious...

Advertising revenue is a big reason.

They also help to generate crowd energy & noise. And we really need more of that. Most of the people in my section are pretty quiet throughout the game, never stand and cheer along during the "C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O" or other cheers, and act like it's a chore to stand up until CU scores its first points.

Ok, let's dream a little bit and say that CU does indeed get basketball on track here, under Bzdelik & M-Miller.

Now we all know of the NEW practice/training facility that will supposedly ground-break this April (check out the NW corner behind Sect. 24. There's a full description and generated pics of what this will look like). Anyway, this will also revamp the outside of the North wall of the Events Center too; it even looks like the ticket purchase area will be completely re-done as more of an outside walk-up.

Ok, back to the point, so let's again say that on top of all of this, CU Basketball (both Mens & Womens) really starts to pick things up like we all hope and can see them doing in the next 2 to 3 years. There is clearly more work that will be required inside the Events Center if CU hopes to somewhat even the playing field with the conference. What's next for the Events Center?

Your thoughts ...

I think even if the BB programs take off and doing well, it is going to take 4 or 5 years of making the NCAA and going deep before you will develop the support base. If that happens then you can build a new event center (and you would be 10 years down the road).

I would love to see hockey but that will also be down the road. Don't kid yourself, it will never make money. But with the youth programs in Colorado and the US growing in leaps and bounds, it could be very good. Lots of good youth hockey in Colorado. Arvada was going to add 2 more rinks at the APEX before the economy tanked.

I believe Men's hockey is a revenue sport at DU. Probably is at other top programs. Re-organization would help, though. The conference alignments should be re-done to reduce travel expenses. For instance, Air Force is in the Atlantic Division, Nebraska-Omaha is in the Central (which has both Miami and Alaska), and then Denver and Colorado College are in the West.

I believe Men's hockey is a revenue sport at DU. Probably is at other top programs. Re-organization would help, though. The conference alignments should be re-done to reduce travel expenses. For instance, Air Force is in the Atlantic Division, Nebraska-Omaha is in the Central (which has both Miami and Alaska), and then Denver and Colorado College are in the West.

Hockey is the big sport at DU...Magness Arena holds about 6,000 people in a hockey configuration and they'll either sell it out or come close to selling it out for every game...then again, DU has 7 national championships in hockey (and I hope they'll get #8 this year!) and obviously has a long tradition of being a hockey school...as far as geography of college hockey goes, the two outliers are definitely the two Alaska schools: Alaska-Anchorage (in the WCHA), and Alaska-Fairbanks (in the CCHA), but the travel distance is something that's unavoidable (much like Hawaii being in the WAC)...here's a great map showing the geographic distribution of all NCAA Division I hockey programs right now

A couple of the things that I personally would like to see:

1.) Get rid of the end-court scoreboards and purchase a 4 sided mid-court scoreboard. I don't know what it is but for me, it just hasn't felt like big time coll. basketbal up therel, and that's ONE of the things that can make a difference. Plus it looks cool and keeps up with the times.
**- It doesn't have to be extravagant nor does it have to be a video scoreboard (although that would be cool). You can purchase a 4 sided traditional scoreboard (that surves purpose) for under $100k.

2.) Upgrade the sound system and pump some music into the place. When they play music you can barely hear what they're playing. Improve the system and get the place rockin.
3.) Upgrade the friggin concourse. Stain the concrete black & gold, paint up the walls, have a backdrop, create some appeal for people and get away from the cold looking concrete look/feel.
4.) I would like to see solid walls built on the inside of the concourse above the seating. Don't have it so wide-open, close it in some, it can give your fans a bit more advantage to. Plus, it keeps people from congregating around on the concourse (high above), and more butts in the seats.
**5.) Bring back the FOAM DOME!!! That would be something.

Last edited:
Yes, please with the Hockey. I'd be first in line for season tickets.

weren't they supposed to install the new video screens over xmas break? i could have sworn i heard that multiple times this fall, but they are still those ****ty orange ones.

weren't they supposed to install the new video screens over xmas break? i could have sworn i heard that multiple times this fall, but they are still those ****ty orange ones.

That's what I had heard for a long time but upgrades to the events center proper have been delayed and rolled into the practice facility project. This is based on information I've gathered from the CU facilities management new construction page. I posted a link to this in an earlier thread but I'm too lazy to go find it again right now.

A couple of the things that I personally would like to see:

1.) Get rid of the end-court scoreboards and purchase a 4 sided mid-court scoreboard. I don't know what it is but for me, it just hasn't felt like big time coll. basketbal up therel, and that's ONE of the things that can make a difference. Plus it looks cool and keeps up with the times.
**- It doesn't have to be extravagant nor does it have to be a video scoreboard (although that would be cool). You can purchase a 4 sided traditional scoreboard (that surves purpose) for under $100k.

2.) Upgrade the sound system and pump some music into the place. When they play music you can barely hear what they're playing. Improve the system and get the place rockin.
3.) Upgrade the friggin concourse. Stain the concrete black & gold, paint up the walls, have a backdrop, create some appeal for people and get away from the cold looking concrete look/feel.
4.) I would like to see solid walls built on the inside of the concourse above the seating. Don't have it so wide-open, close it in some, it can give your fans a bit more advantage to. Plus, it keeps people from congregating around on the concourse (high above), and more butts in the seats.
**5.) Bring back the FOAM DOME!!! That would be something.

Definitely agree on the 4-sided midcourt scoreboard... I've felt strongly about this for awhile. Now that they've made the right move by relocating the student section behind the hoop, if you want to appear big-time getting one of these would be the next step. I was disappointed when they upgraded the end court scoreboards a few years ago because the best way to spruce up CEC should have spent the money they sunk into those scoreboards into a mid-court cube.

Truly is big-time, a minor detail that looks sweet to recruits, simply what every gym environment for college basketball requires! It seems like an easy install because they just have some dumb speakers attached to the ceiling. Oh but we're broke..

IMG_3769.JPG

That's what Oklahoma now has at the Lloyd Noble Center, which was built around the same time as the CECC and is about the same size (11,528 capacity vs. 11,064 for CECC). Not sure that the CECC can structurally handle that type of mid-court scoreboard, but that's the dream. Also, I love what they did with the ceiling instead of having the open girders. That's got to make it a lot louder.

I would love hockey - but it is a pipe dream. They need to stop cutting sports before they add something that would require huge infrastructure investments... didn't we cut a top ranked Tennis program a few years back? I would be with sacky in line to get tickets... love hockey

That's what I had heard for a long time but upgrades to the events center proper have been delayed and rolled into the practice facility project. This is based on information I've gathered from the CU facilities management new construction page. I posted a link to this in an earlier thread but I'm too lazy to go find it again right now.

That is correct. The practice facility has full funding and will break ground in the spring. However, in order to do this, they had to pull the money for the ribbon boards and video boards. That is the next project on the ADs list. The practice / locker facility is a must. Even the improvements made to the Men's locker room were lipstick on a pig at best. Almost everything in the CEC has not been touched since it was built.

Hockey will not happen b/c there then needs to be an equal women's sport (not necessarily hockey). Further, it would be very difficult for it to make money given the expenditures of traveling a hockey team, equipment, scholarships, etc. The Broomfield Events Center did not support a minor league hockey team so don't know if CU's fate would be much different off campus. Further, didn't AEG Live buy BEC and turn it into the Odeum and make it primarily a concert venue?

IMG_3769.JPG

That's what Oklahoma now has at the Lloyd Noble Center, which was built around the same time as the CECC and is about the same size (11,528 capacity vs. 11,064 for CECC). Not sure that the CECC can structurally handle that type of mid-court scoreboard, but that's the dream. Also, I love what they did with the ceiling instead of having the open girders. That's got to make it a lot louder.

Nice. Yeah, I'm not sure if center court is prepared to handle that massive a scoreboard, but probably could handle something of a smaller scale and that's all you need really. Like CSU for example.

I to like sealing the roof off like they have in the LLNC in Norman. Plus, look at the speakers surrounding the outer layer of seats, thus bringing music and voice out into the crowd, to be heard. With the mid-court speaker console @ CECC, you get more blaring sound and have to turn the volume way up to be heard by all. Music that can be played pre-game, during warm-ups, sucks.

Again, just some detailed stuff that can make a big different to many fans.

I would love if CU can buy the whole set of blocks from Folsom to 28th, north of Colorado Avenue. This is the churches and houses, north of the parking structure and across the street from Franklin Field. They can then tear everything down and build a new basketball/hockey arena, practice facilities for hockey and basketball, indoor practice field for football, huge athletic offices (keep Dal Ward just for football) and some cool underground parking structure. They can then work on building a new field house. The existing CEC can be doorms, or the site of the new and improved REC center. Finally they take the triangular lot across from the law school (with taco bell, beau jos, etc) tear that sucker down and build a baseball stadium. If CU builds it, they will come. Anyone have $500 million they want to donate to build the best athletic complex in division 1?

I would love if CU can buy the whole set of blocks from Folsom to 28th, north of Colorado Avenue. This is the churches and houses, north of the parking structure and across the street from Franklin Field. They can then tear everything down and build a new basketball/hockey arena, practice facilities for hockey and basketball, indoor practice field for football, huge athletic offices (keep Dal Ward just for football) and some cool underground parking structure. They can then work on building a new field house. The existing CEC can be doorms, or the site of the new and improved REC center. Finally they take the triangular lot across from the law school (with taco bell, beau jos, etc) tear that sucker down and build a baseball stadium. If CU builds it, they will come. Anyone have $500 million they want to donate to build the best athletic complex in division 1?

don't you dare take away my ****ing lunch options asshole!

I'm guessing even you might be done with school by the time all that happened.... :smile2:

true. starving right now tho so I am quite protective of my subway :lol:.

however, why would they buy stuff out when they have south campus? Thats where all that **** needs to go.

Back