What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Increased scoring & pace with new rules

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member

With each of the 351 Division I teams having now played a handful of conference games, the statistical trends thus far are holding up to the standards set in the non-conference season. Compared to this point of the 2014-15 season, scoring is up 5.42 points per game, from 67.64 to 73.06. In conference games only, teams are averaging 72.3 points per game, up 5.26 points per game from the same point of the conference season last year. For the full season, possessions are up 3.95 per team per game but in conference games only, that number jumps to 4.15. Additionally, 74 percent of the scoring for the entire season can be attributed to an increase in the pace of play, while 26 percent of the scoring can be attributed to increased offensive efficiency. Fouls per team per game are only up 1.0 from the 2014-15 season, essentially even on a fouls per possession basis. However, fouls called in the month of January have increased by nearly a half-foul compared to December, which may be considered a positive sign that officials are staying committed to the officiating directives with the start of conference play.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...etball-committee-discusses-statistical-trends

For the most part....it has been better basketball this season.....been some really good games played at a fast pace

I mean look at how CU is playing this year....averaging nearly 80 points a game

But how much have FTA increased? Is it in line with the increased points and increased possessions or is it a higher increase? If possessions and points are increased at the expense of fluidity of play, I think it's not a good change.

I'm actually going to go research this right now. Be back in a bit.

I see the statistics above and it seems contrary to my perception.. I am much like Shocker, I get the sense that play is much more choppy because of the number of ticky-tax touch fouls that are being called. Actually surprised that the games aren't lasting longer. Of course the OP doesn't speak of the reduction to time outs. THIS is a great change.

I'm back.

Ok, so I'm not sure how scientific this is on cut off periods. NCAA's website is difficult to say the least to do comparison years. However, I figured out how to change the automated pdf generation url's to get last year's reports, and I'm trying to match up weeks.

Long story short, I'm pulling figures for 2016 through 1/18/2016 and for 2015 season I'm pulling numbers through 1/22/2015. Could be some issues with cutoff date and if I'm picking up a week or two short.

However, the numbers are crazy close comparing the two years.

FTA through 1/18/2016: 133,337
FTA through 1/22/2015: 133,392

Back