What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Initial KenPom Rankings Out

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
The methodology is here, so don't freak out over it. He even admits that the initial ones are a work in progress. With that said....

6.) UCLA
23.) Arizona
36.) Stanford
39.) Cal
57.) Colorado
69.) Oregon State
70.) Washington
91.) Oregon
95.) Washington State
188.) USC
218.) Arizona State
309.) Utah (Jesus hell... one spot behind Tennessee Martin and one ahead of North Carolina A&T)

Non-conference opponents:

10.) Kansas
20.) Baylor (Charleston Classic)
87.) St. John's (CC)
92.) Colorado State
99.) Murray State (CC)
104.) Dayton
134.) Boston College (CC)
136.) Charleston (CC)
138.) Wyoming
146.) Fresno State
151.) Air Force
179.) Auburn (CC)
198.) Wofford
250.) Texas Southern
267.) Hartford
325.) Northern Arizona

Projects out to an 18-10 record (10-8 in conference) not counting the second two games of the CC.

The methodology is here, so don't freak out over it. He even admits that the initial ones are a work in progress. With that said....

6.) UCLA
23.) Arizona
36.) Stanford
39.) Cal
57.) Colorado
69.) Oregon State
70.) Washington
91.) Oregon
95.) Washington State
188.) USC
218.) Arizona State
309.) Utah (Jesus hell... one spot behind Tennessee Martin and one ahead of North Carolina A&T)

Non-conference opponents:

10.) Kansas
20.) Baylor (Charleston Classic)
87.) St. John's (CC)
92.) Colorado State
99.) Murray State (CC)
104.) Dayton
134.) Boston College (CC)
136.) Charleston (CC)
138.) Wyoming
146.) Fresno State
151.) Air Force
179.) Auburn (CC)
198.) Wofford
250.) Texas Southern
267.) Hartford
325.) Northern Arizona

only one game above 300. Too bad Northern Arizona doesn't play duke this year. They would be top 20

only one game above 300. Too bad Northern Arizona doesn't play duke this year. They would be top 20

You're thinking RPI. Kenpom usually doesn't get caught up in that crap, you actually have to beat those quality teams you play.

6.) UCLA
23.) Arizona
36.) Stanford
39.) Cal
57.) Colorado
69.) Oregon State
70.) Washington
91.) Oregon
95.) Washington State
188.) USC
218.) Arizona State

LOL, I jotted down my rough-draft Pac-12 standings last night, and they're almost identical.

The only discrepancy is I have USC higher and OSU lower.

I am surprised CU is this high, they finished 74th in his final rankings last year. 5th in the P-12 is a reasonable projection. I obviously love stats as much as anybody, but no way do I see UCLA as the 6th best "team", they may have the talent on paper for that projection, but there are just to many things that need to break their way for everything to work out for them.

UCLA is going to be a massive disappointment this season. Everyone's talking about how Muhammad alone is enough to take the Bruins deep in the tourney. Muhammad, if he's cleared, is a damn good player and probably the first pick in the draft. But does anyone think he's better than Durant was at Texas? Durant only got his team to the second (third? Stupid new naming system) round.

I'm not freaking out over that at all. I think it's reasonable, actually. I do think that we're probably better than Stanford and Cal, though. (although we have yet to prove we can do anything against Stanford).

One of the things I like best about the KenPom rankings are his projected scores (Vegas has admitted factoring these in heavily to make their point spreads). We have talked a lot about Dayton, KenPom only has CU a 3 point fav, 68-65 projected W for the Buffs.

He also has CU going 18-10 overall and 10-8 in conf.

is Cal a bit high to anyone else?

A touch, but I'm starting to come around on them. The more I look at that roster, and the more I consider Monty is their coach, the more I like them. I still don't think they're top 4, but I can understand why people are high on them.

A touch, but I'm starting to come around on them. The more I look at that roster, and the more I consider Monty is their coach, the more I like them. I still don't think they're top 4, but I can understand why people are high on them.

Please explain! I'm with Tante, I think Cal is way over-rated. And Stanford as well.

And I think CSU is seriously under-rated! They could beat either Cal or Stanford in Ft Fun and play them even on a neutral court. Buffs are going to have to work hard to beat 'em in Boulder.

Please explain! I'm with Tante, I think Cal is way over-rated. And Stanford as well.

And I think CSU is seriously under-rated! They could beat either Cal or Stanford in Ft Fun and play them even on a neutral court. Buffs are going to have to work hard to beat 'em in Boulder.

:ban:

If you asked me to guess, I would have said 50-60th. Exactly where I'd thought we'd be. We'll move up

And yes, Utah basketball = CU football. Once proud programs that are so ****ing awful it's not even funny anymore.

Stanford and Cal both had fantastic defenses last year. Stanford returns most of their team while Cal lost a couple of pieces but have some recruits coming in. Neither team is flashy, but they both have good D and solid guard play and will be a tough beat at home for sure.

Just finished my USC preview and I'm now convinced that everyone is sleeping on them. Their only loss is Maurice Jones - a 5'7" guard who was probably going to be their fourth guard this season. They get three damn good players back from injuries - Jio Fontan (who could be the new Jorge Gutierrez), Dewayne Dedmon and Aaron Fuller. They also get four transfers coming in who would help any team, with JT Terrell being (IMO) a darkhorse for All-Pac-12.

Just finished my USC preview and I'm now convinced that everyone is sleeping on them. Their only loss is Maurice Jones - a 5'7" guard who was probably going to be their fourth guard this season. They get three damn good players back from injuries - Jio Fontan (who could be the new Jorge Gutierrez), Dewayne Dedmon and Aaron Fuller. They also get four transfers coming in who would help any team, with JT Terrell being (IMO) a darkhorse for All-Pac-12.

So you are saying it is good we play them only at the keg.

So you are saying it is good we play them only at the keg.

I am. Arguably, we got the best combo to dodge (numbers in parenthesis the general consensus on pre-season predictions).

Zona (Probably #1 or #2) - ASU (#10-12)
UCLA (Probably #1 or #2) - USC (#4-#8)
Cal (#4-#8) - Stanford (#3-#5)
Oregon (#6-#8) - Oregon State (#7-#9)
Washington (#5-#8) - Washington State (#9-#11).

Back