What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting Conference Realignment Piece

Going on the assumption that the guy actually heard something and to put some sensibility to what this guy is talking about... I do think there is a possibility that the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 would look at a media alliance. The first two missed out on the conference network opportunity and the Pac-12 is getting lapped on its deal by being in a weird time zone and having a market where college sports aren't a religion.

Whether that would include some shakeup to actual membership is something I doubt, but I definitely could see content & carriage driving this.

Going on the assumption that the guy actually heard something and to put some sensibility to what this guy is talking about... I do think there is a possibility that the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 would look at a media alliance. The first two missed out on the conference network opportunity and the Pac-12 is getting lapped on its deal by being in a weird time zone and having a market where college sports aren't a religion.

Whether that would include some shakeup to actual membership is something I doubt, but I definitely could see content & carriage driving this.
Would actually make a lot of sense. The Saturday lineup would be epic. Start with East Coast games at 11:00, move to Midwest games at 2:00, followed by evening West Coast games at 6:00. We get a full day of football and tailgating to boot. If done correctly, an alliance like what you're referring to would be fantastic. Work it out so that all conference games start at the same time, every week. If ABC wants a PAC game, it comes on at 6:00 PM. (Mountain).

I LOVE this idea. Make it happen.

I just never saw a real issue with having the conference championship game in Dallas or Houston every year. They had it in arrowhead a couple times if I remember correctly but a lot of other conferences find a venue they like and stay there. The sec plays in Atlanta every year and the big ten plays in Indy every year, not because they are catering to some specific team because those are the best venues. Buff fans bitch more than anything about playing at mile high but are now mad there was never a big 12 championship there?

I think Buff fans bitch that we have to play a home game, against our little brother, at Mile High. I fail to see any correlation between that game, and wanting to have a championship game in Denver someday. Think you're missing the point....

An ACC-B1G-P12 alliance would bring in big money. Start Intra-league OC games. 9 conference games, 1 against a B1G, 1 against an ACC. Leave the SEC to play their Kennesaw St.'s.

I think Buff fans bitch that we have to play a home game, against our little brother, at Mile High. I fail to see any correlation between that game, and wanting to have a championship game in Denver someday. Think you're missing the point....
No I'm not missing the point. People kept saying that Mile High is a crap stadium and an awful college atmosphere and everyone loves Folsom (which I obviously do too). When the clause was written in the Nebraska and A&M contracts that we could play that game at Mile High people were once again complaining. So no I didn't miss the point but thanks for your concern.

No I'm not missing the point. People kept saying that Mile High is a crap stadium and an awful college atmosphere and everyone loves Folsom (which I obviously do too). When the clause was written in the Nebraska and A&M contracts that we could play that game at Mile High people were once again complaining. So no I didn't miss the point but thanks for your concern.
Again missing the point.

People not wanting CU to play regular season home games at Mile High is entirely unrelated to thinking that the former Big12 should play championship games in both the north and south. Arrowhead and Mile High were the viable options in the north; Houston and Jerryworld in the south. Guess which one never saw a game? And guess which ones saw the large majority of the games...

**** Texas.

Again missing the point.

People not wanting CU to play regular season home games at Mile High is entirely unrelated to thinking that the former Big12 should play championship games in both the north and south. Arrowhead and Mile High were the viable options in the north; Houston and Jerryworld in the south. Guess which one never saw a game? And guess which ones saw the large majority of the games...

**** Texas.
You are missing the point. This is common in the two most successful conferences and no one complains. Big-10 in Indy and the SEC in Atlanta and those fans don't make up every excuse about playing the game there very year. The Big-12 also held the basketball tournament in KC every year but no one was pissed about that. Playing the game in Texas is the best logistically and puts the game in good weather most of the time. The fact that it is hard for people to comprehend that, and the fact that the closest team to Denver is almost 8 hours away is astounding.

Buff fans: We hate playing games at Mile High RG, please get us out of this game, but we are pissed at the Big-12 for not scheduling a championship game at the stadium we hate playing at and showing up to.

The Longhorn Network's struggles are well-documented.

According to SNL Kagan, a media research firm that crunches numbers, the network's deal -- a 20-year contract worth $295 million, which translates to almost $15 million per year for Texas -- has lost ESPN almost $50 million to date since its debut in 2011.

It's also cost the Big 12 Conference precious marketing, says Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy. Speaking to Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports on Monday, Gundy said the network needs to be eliminated in favor of a conference-wide network -- and for the sake of Big 12 stability.

"If we don't eliminate the Longhorn Network and create our own network, they're going to continue to have issues with this league," Gundy told CBS Sports.

Gundy's views on LHN are the same as those of Oklahoma president David Boren, who's been outspoken about the topic before.

"If Texas doesn't [fold LHN] in X number of years, they're going to be in the Pac-12 or SEC," Gundy told CBS Sports. "If that's what they want, keep riding this horse. If you don't want that, you better make some changes or it's going to happen whether you like it or not."

The comments are delicious too....

TXnVA6 days ago
I love how Texas has turned into the bogeyman because of LHN. Schools like A&M, OU, and OSU love to criticize UT for LHN, but they conveniently leave out facts like UT almost begged A&M to be a part of LHN. UT would have paid 75% of the startup costs while giving A&M an equal share. They also leave out the fact that OU spent two years kicking around the idea of starting its own network. They also leave out the fact that OSU has the fan appeal of a televised colonoscopy.

Now we are constantly fed the whining of jealous schools, who would love nothing more than a way to siphon off some of the money that UT earns from ESPN. If they don't like it, they are more than free to blow up the B12. Most of them have a problem though. Poor academic schools like OSU and TTU are unwanted by everyone. UT would benefit with a move to the SEC, B10, and maybe even the P12.

It all boils down to who is the big dog? The Horns are, and will continue to be, the big dog in the B12.

apeteet6 days ago

Who cares what gundy thinks, Texas will be alright by themselves, its the other schools that need texas & are jelaous of the network. Leave, if you don't like it.

You are missing the point. This is common in the two most successful conferences and no one complains. Big-10 in Indy and the SEC in Atlanta and those fans don't make up every excuse about playing the game there very year. The Big-12 also held the basketball tournament in KC every year but no one was pissed about that. Playing the game in Texas is the best logistically and puts the game in good weather most of the time. The fact that it is hard for people to comprehend that, and the fact that the closest team to Denver is almost 8 hours away is astounding.

Buff fans: We hate playing games at Mile High RG, please get us out of this game, but we are pissed at the Big-12 for not scheduling a championship game at the stadium we hate playing at and showing up to.

I'm going to take a wild guess that you never bought tickets and attended any B12CCGs.

If you had, you'd have seen how truly un-neutral the fan support was when CU played, and it sucked. Part of being an equitable member of a conference is having an equal shot at hosting a conference championship.

The issues with Invesco and CSU is broader than you paint it.

Invesco was fun when the CU-CSU rivalry was initially renewed. But the repetition breed contempt. The tear gas fired by cops wearing riot gear was too much. Getting lectures from the schools about how to properly behave was embarassing.

Over the course of the series, both teams fell from being nationally ranked to just being rank.

The 9-game P12 schedule further put a premium on OOC locations where getting a sixth game in Folsom is tough.

Mostly, though, Denver should aspire to be more of a college football friendly town. If Boise can host a bowl game, so can Denver. The Mile High City doesn't even try to promote itself as CFB friendly.

People from across the country love to travel to bowl games and to exotic locations. Denver should have welcomed at OOC matchup that pitted NU or Mizzou against Texas or Oklahoma. Those football fans would also be skiers and beer drinkers. The Vail Back Bowl at Mile High needs to happen.

I don't think fault lies only with the B12 for pushing the CCG to KC/STL or DFW/HOU/SAN. Some culpability resides with the Denver boosters who have a piss-poor track record on promoting CFB inside the Mile High City.

Back