What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting Read from Former Buff

Daughter played up through U-18 elite and club at CU. My son played up through U-15. It seems to me that girls play the ball in the air a lot more. I'm not sure why I think that. But they play the ball with their heads a lot. Also, girls are really aggressive and can tend to have a lot more head on head collisions than the boys. But I have no scientific evidence to back that up. And, maybe girls will tend to complain about head injuries more than guys would. So, reporting could be a reason for the statistics.
I don't think it's that "girls tend to complain;" I think it's that old men think the girls are "weaker" and so they pay a lot more attention to the hits and collisions than they do for the boys. In other words, it's disparate application of the protocols due to entrenched sexism.

And yes, I'm yanking your chain a bit (y)

I don't think it's that "girls tend to complain;" I think it's that old men think the girls are "weaker" and so they pay a lot more attention to the hits and collisions than they do for the boys. In other words, it's disparate application of the protocols due to entrenched sexism.

And yes, I'm yanking your chain a bit (y)
Yeah, I think the women, generally, perform a lot of headers.

Wait? Do men still play soccer?

Rank Name Sport Nation Total Salary/Winnings Endorsements
1 Floyd Mayweather Jr. Boxing United States $300 million $285 million $15 million
2 Manny Pacquiao Boxing Philippines $160 million $148 million $12 million
3 Cristiano Ronaldo Football Portugal $79.6 million $52.6 million $27 million
4 Lionel Messi Football Argentina $73.8 million $51.8 million $22 million

5 Roger Federer Tennis Switzerland $67 million $9 million $58 million
6 LeBron James Basketball United States $64.8 million $20.8 million $44 million
7 Kevin Durant Basketball United States $54.1 million $19.1 million $35 million
8 Phil Mickelson Golf United States $50.8 million $2.8 million $48 million
9 Tiger Woods Golf United States $50.6 million $0.6 million $50 million
10 Kobe Bryant Basketball United States $49.5 million $23.5 million $26 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_world's_highest-paid_athletes

Wait? Men still box?

And is golf really a sport? I was taught that the ball has to be moving when you hit/catch it in order to graduate from pastime to sport.

Wait? Men still box?

And is golf really a sport? I was taught that the ball has to be moving when you hit/catch it in order to graduate from pastime to sport.

Nobody on that list from the national tetherball championship is there?

Nobody on that list from the national tetherball championship is there?

Miami could just have well posted the Forbes list of billionaires. Oprah makes a lot of money, too. That doesn't make her any less of an entertainer or flop actress as renaldo

Yeah, I think the women, generally, perform a lot of headers.

So coaches meeting tonight.
  • Under u11 no headers in training, no headers in games.
  • If a player does it in a game it is a penalty, stop play, indirect kick at the spot.
  • Above u11 you can train and teach technique in practice
  • Still a penalty if it occurs in a game
Is the result of a concussion lawsuit filed against pretty much everyone in US soccer.

http://time.com/3194682/soccer-concussion-lawsuit/

http://www.ussoccer.com/about/recognize-to-recover/concussion-guidelines

So, you're likely to see the "sweeper" position come back. And possibly punts disappear at certain ages. Taller kids will lose that advantage they had and defensive players playing the bounce in the back.

Last edited:
  • If a player does it in a game it is a penalty, stop play, indirect kick at the spot.
Is the result of a concussion lawsuit filed against pretty much everyone in US soccer.

So, you're likely to see the "sweeper" position come back. And possibly punts disappear at certain ages. Taller kids will lose that advantage they had and defensive players playing the bounce in the back.

I think you mean "foul". "Penalty" refers to fouls inside the box, resulting in a free kick from the 12 yd. spot. Stupid, really stupid reaction to more nanny-state, totally risk-averse BS.

I think you mean "foul". "Penalty" refers to fouls inside the box, resulting in a free kick from the 12 yd. spot. Stupid, really stupid reaction to more nanny-state, totally risk-averse BS.

You remind me of those snobs that point out its offside and not offsides when I make that mistake as well. :D

You remind me of those snobs that point out its offside and not offsides when I make that mistake as well. :D
Now that's very snobbish (and not even correct---I use both interchangeably while on the pitch!) That's a distinction without a difference, whereas there is a YUGE difference between a penalty and a foul, particularly in terms of a great scoring chance in a sport where those are rarer than hen's teeth.

I thought soccer players wore shin guards?
A piece of plastic an eighth of an inch thick covering about 8 sq. inches, ain't much protection from even a accomplished 10 yr. kicking at a ball. At the higher levels, such guards shrink to even smaller sizes. That "flopping " which unknowledgeable Yanks complain of, is most often recovery time from a sharp, violent pain from a kick to a poorly-protected area on the leg or ankle. Yeah, you can bounce up quickly (hence the "dive" claim), but that first feeling is massive pain, sorta like being punched in the nose.

A piece of plastic an eighth of an inch thick covering about 8 sq. inches, ain't much protection from even a accomplished 10 yr. kicking at a ball. At the higher levels, such guards shrink to even smaller sizes. That "flopping " which unknowledgeable Yanks complain of, is most often recovery time from a sharp, violent pain from a kick to a poorly-protected area on the leg or ankle. Yeah, you can bounce up quickly (hence the "dive" claim), but that first feeling is massive pain, sorta like being punched in the nose.
Sounds painful
200.gif

Says the doofus who would drop to the turf as an immobile, screeching pile of goo, after being kicked in the shin on a follow-through by a U-10 boy striker! ROTFLMAO!

Shin kicking. Very manly.

Daughter played up through U-18 elite and club at CU. My son played up through U-15. It seems to me that girls play the ball in the air a lot more. I'm not sure why I think that. But they play the ball with their heads a lot. Also, girls are really aggressive and can tend to have a lot more head on head collisions than the boys. But I have no scientific evidence to back that up. And, maybe girls will tend to complain about head injuries more than guys would. So, reporting could be a reason for the statistics.

I know someone whose niece died from all those head traumas from soccer at just 16 years old. Other than that, I don't know.

I think we are overdoing it with athletes these days but at the same time, they have the opportunities to train more than what most of us didn't have at the time.

Yeah, we had 3 kids that were concussed in the first few weeks of the year and ended up being sidelined for the remainder of the season, even though they passed the concussion protocol (that has become very strict). They were told that another concussion in the same season could result in severe brain damage and/or death. Naturally, parents weren't in a hurry to allow them to return. I'm all for player safety, but this has been blown out of proportion for little league and high school football.

Care to provide some evidence to back up that claim, given that it is contrary to just about every piece of actual evidence that's available? Or are we just speculating here, because, you know, platitudes are stronger evidence than, ... well, evidence?

Back