What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting take on Friday night, and State of the Program

Wow.

I always think it's interesting when someone zigs while everyone else is zagging. I'm not sure I'm sold by this zig, though. It's not just the young fans who are skeptical of things.

I don't mean to say I believe all of this, but I do think there is something to be said for panic being the norm here now. The one thing I do believe is they play clean smart football, they don't shoot themselves in the foot like the last 2 coaches teams did continuously. That said the defense was terrible, I will be interested to see how they play this weekend, and more importantly in week 3

How they respond this week will be key.

I saw a few bright spots on offense. Sefo was efficient and his chemistry with Spruce was as good as advertised. Spruce looks like a legit receiver. Fields looks to be ready to compete at this level. Saw some plays missing from last years team (TE over the middle).

Hopefully I see more of that against UMass, and more importantly I hope I see a defense that learned how to tackle this week.

Things are never as bad or as good as they seem.

So HCMM got out adjusted, again. This is officially a trend in that people note it happening more often than the other (Utah last year being the big outliar)

Wow.

I always think it's interesting when someone zigs while everyone else is zagging. I'm not sure I'm sold by this zig, though. It's not just the young fans who are skeptical of things.

Actually, it's the older fans that are most skeptical. I won't name names, but I know some of the most vocal critics have been around a long, long time.

All the younger fans just know crap CU football. We haven't won a bowl game since 2004, let alone even be in one since 2007. Hard to believe we'd pine for the Joel Klatt days, I'd take that right now no questions asked. Look at the company we are keeping:

[h=4] The following schools went bowling sometime during 2001-2009, but not since then:
Idaho (2009), Florida Atlantic, Kansas, Memphis (2008),
Colorado, Indiana, New Mexico(2007), Akron (2005), UAB (2004).
That leaves 7 FBS schools who have yet to go bowling in the 21st century:
Eastern Michigan (1987 California Bowl)
New Mexico State (1960 Sun Bowl)
Massachusetts, South Alabama, Texas - San Antonio, and Texas State all joined the FBS in 2012,
and Georgia State joined in 2013.
The Media Guide for UMass gives its last bowl appearance as the 1972 Boardwalk Bowl.
The last post-season appearance for Texas State (Southwest Texas State st the time) was
a playoff berth in the 2008 Division 1 championship playoffs.
USA, UTSA, and Georgia State have had their football programs for just a few years.

[/h]

I don't think the biggest fall out is with the younger fans and is with the recruits that have grown up seeing Colorado as a bottom feeder. It's the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

I believe CU's biggest hurdle has been and will continue to be recruiting. We do not have a lot of in-state talent and our track record is not going to help us penetrate other states. Schools like Georiga, Florida, USC, and any Texas school can fill out their roster without leaving the state and still field a competitive team. The last time CU was in the national spot light in a positive way was 2001 and todays recruits were 5 and under when that was going on.

Actually, it's the older fans that are most skeptical. I won't name names, but I know some of the most vocal critics have been around a long, long time.

That's not a surprise. There are a lot of relationships built up over the years with the old powers that be.

It my wish that Buff Galaxy remember to always put the student athlete first.

It is also my wish that people are able to separate healthy skepticism and constructive criticism from unproductive and overly emotional knee jerk reactions.

An unhappy fan is still a fan. And we need as many fans as we can get. The goal here isn't group-think and blind loyalty to our Coach and AD. It's okay when people recognize and point out problems, so long as they are also willing to also celebrate the successes. Civilized people are capable of disagreeing and still walking away friends.

If we were recruiting better, I would be less concerned with the loss.

No one honestly believes this is a good football team. Just someone trying to be different.

I don't think the biggest fall out is with the younger fans and is with the recruits that have grown up seeing Colorado as a bottom feeder. It's the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

I believe CU's biggest hurdle has been and will continue to be recruiting. We do not have a lot of in-state talent and our track record is not going to help us penetrate other states. Schools like Georiga, Florida, USC, and any Texas school can fill out their roster without leaving the state and still field a competitive team. The last time CU was in the national spot light in a positive way was 2001 and todays recruits were 5 and under when that was going on.

Recruiting is two-fold. Part one is going out and signing the kid, part two is making sure they get here. The latter has been a bigger problem than you might think under Talkins and Embree, and I feel like its hurting us now. Go back and look at guys who have signed LOI's since 2006 and see how many names you don't recognize. That adds up. In terms of focus areas, I would say that there is enough talent in Texas and California (regardless of how often we now play in Texas) to where we should be able to get 5-6 quality football players if we make it a priority. On top of that, we were able to pull talent out of Louisiana when we were in the spotlight in a positive way. Can anybody remember the last night we signed a kid from LA?

Moreover, we replaced one incompetent staff with another who was even worse. MM has to be given at least 4 years here.

Recruiting is two-fold. Part one is going out and signing the kid, part two is making sure they get here. The latter has been a bigger problem than you might think under Talkins and Embree, and I feel like its hurting us now. Go back and look at guys who have signed LOI's since 2006 and see how many names you don't recognize. That adds up. In terms of focus areas, I would say that there is enough talent in Texas and California (regardless of how often we now play in Texas) to where we should be able to get 5-6 quality football players if we make it a priority. On top of that, we were able to pull talent out of Louisiana when we were in the spotlight in a positive way. Can anybody remember the last night we signed a kid from LA?

Moreover, we replaced one incompetent staff with another who was even worse. MM has to be given at least 4 years here.

I agree and correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember teams like LSU, USC, UCLA, etc being down when we were successfully recruiting nationally.

Louisiana is a lot harder now for CU since we don't play any games in Texas. It's got to be a kid who really wants to experience something completely different and likes the idea of the Pac-12. Send some letters, attend a camp, and put our Houston guy on it in case we get a bite.

Even with the guys we've signed from LA, our luck hasn't been good. It's culture shock.

I'd rather hit our footprint harder versus trying to open up Louisiana. Over LA, I'd probably even look at someone to recruit our southwest/midwest border states to see what we can pull from NM, OK, KS, NE, WY (and I'd throw MO in).

If, as the article states, any CU fan hassled Sefo, then our fans are ignorant. I think the point about no turnovers or major offensive mistakes is valid. Too bad we got rolled at both LOS.

Louisiana is a lot harder now for CU since we don't play any games in Texas. It's got to be a kid who really wants to experience something completely different and likes the idea of the Pac-12. Send some letters, attend a camp, and put our Houston guy on it in case we get a bite.

Even with the guys we've signed from LA, our luck hasn't been good. It's culture shock.

I'd rather hit our footprint harder versus trying to open up Louisiana. Over LA, I'd probably even look at someone to recruit our southwest/midwest border states to see what we can pull from NM, OK, KS, NE, WY (and I'd throw MO in).

Nothing a little OOC scheduling can't fix.

First time I have been here since Friday night...just couldn't bare to read the negatives and trying to really work out in my head what happened Friday.

A head coach is about game management and the overseeing of the entire picture. It is your assistant coaches that make in game adjustments and really do a lot of the coaching up so to speak. Our assistant coaches failed in my honest opinion. Here are what I came away with Friday night:

I really think it is a mistake that the OC is not letting Sefo read in the READ option. It was pretty obvious to me that they were called keeps and called gives. The turning point to me was being up 7-0 and missing a great chance to go up 14-0 but seeing Powell get destroyed on the dive that Sefo should have kept. There was a huge hole that Sefo could have scored easily. To me that started the momentum in CSU's favor.

Defensively, quite honestly, it was a joke. You had a team owning the line of scrimmage and you aren't run blitzing more? We played the entire game defensively going east-west by design. That works against spread teams....not a power running team like CSU.

I think MM might be loyal to a fault. I think that game planning and execution were the problem. The biggest fault for Friday I would give to MM is that we were the methodical, unemotional team and CSU was the fired up, pop up in the mouth team. We need more fire and pop....but I don't know if MM is that kind of coach.

[strike]Foundation[/strike] Fire
[strike]Family[/strike] Fun
[strike]Future[/strike] **** 'em up
Football

First time I have been here since Friday night...just couldn't bare to read the negatives and trying to really work out in my head what happened Friday.

A head coach is about game management and the overseeing of the entire picture. It is your assistant coaches that make in game adjustments and really do a lot of the coaching up so to speak. Our assistant coaches failed in my honest opinion. Here are what I came away with Friday night:

I really think it is a mistake that the OC is not letting Sefo read in the READ option. It was pretty obvious to me that they were called keeps and called gives. The turning point to me was being up 7-0 and missing a great chance to go up 14-0 but seeing Powell get destroyed on the dive that Sefo should have kept. There was a huge hole that Sefo could have scored easily. To me that started the momentum in CSU's favor.

Defensively, quite honestly, it was a joke. You had a team owning the line of scrimmage and you aren't run blitzing more? We played the entire game defensively going east-west by design. That works against spread teams....not a power running team like CSU.

I think MM might be loyal to a fault. I think that game planning and execution were the problem. The biggest fault for Friday I would give to MM is that we were the methodical, unemotional team and CSU was the fired up, pop up in the mouth team. We need more fire and pop....but I don't know if MM is that kind of coach.

Great point. I went ballistic in the game thread about that. Most bigtime players with moxy would refuse to let the ball leave his hands on that play. People won't like me for it, but I'd like to see what Gerhke could do with live bullets.

Great point. I went ballistic in the game thread about that. Most bigtime players with moxy would refuse to let the ball leave his hands on that play. People won't like me for it, but I'd like to see what Gerhke could do with live bullets.

And any big time player who disobeyed so blatantly after a direct play call would also be put on the bench. If asked to Gehke would have handed the ball off just as Sefo did.

Sefo was a 62% passer, had 241 yards of passing offense 47yds of rushing offense, and 2TD's. Not sure what more Gerhke would have given us.

And any big time player who disobeyed so blatantly after a direct play call would also be put on the bench. If asked to Gehke would have handed the ball off just as Sefo did.

Sefo was a 62% passer, had 241 yards of passing offense 47yds of rushing offense, and 2TD's. Not sure what more Gerhke would have given us.
Uhhhh, what?

The argument has been made by many others here that a running quarterback may camouflage a lot of issues the offense has and will have this year. People have seen more of an X factor in Gerhke, if practice says anything.

One counter example comes to mind: Jordan Webb pulled the ball and ran 4th and goal at WSU. He was close to being the losing-est DI, but even he refused to give the ball up. Audibled out of a different play.

Uhhhh, what?

If coach tells player X to hand the ball off in a designed run and player X decides he knows better and passes it or audibles to QB run without direction from the sideline he better hope that he scores. Most coaches won't put up with that ****.

Back