What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Iowa St is completely fu**ed if the Big 12-2-1 collapses

:yeahthat: Or not, depending on what deals had been signed after CU and UNL left in order to keep the conference together. I seem to remember hearing something about the remaining schools agreeing to much more iron clad agreements that were supposed to keep anybody else from leaving. If those got signed, and ISU thought they were guaranteed either the 10 team Big XII they were promised or cash from the departing teams if it didn't hold together, I won't blame them too much. I also won't blame them for suing to enforce those rights...

I wouldn't blame them for suing either. But it would seem to me that if all that was in place the talk would be about suing any departing conference members, not the conference the member is going to. The other conferences weren't a party to any Big 12 agreements. And I have no idea how any Big 12 member can think it would have a case against another conference, particularly the SEC, when the Big 12 tried to poach Arkansas under a plan that the Big 12 members had agreed to.

WAIT......

ISU signed a deal with ESPN..... ESPN is a very stable entity. ISU will get paid.... They have to. They may settle, but their improvements will get paid for.

ISU signed nothing with ESPN. The Big 12 signed something with ESPN. ESPN, like any party to a business deal, is not going to pay the same price for something it agreed to if what is being delivered is a product of substantially less value than the contract stipulated. ESPN will either re-negotiate or void the contract, as any business would.

I feel bad for ISU in all of this realignment crap. This thread makes me feel even worse for them. ISU stands to seriously get ****ed. So does Baylor, but I'm happy with that fact.

This I agree with. Iowa State does everything you'd want a conference partner to do. Good fans, strong academic partnership, a strong commitment to having good athletic programs, and straight forward in its business dealings with other conference members. They simply don't bring value to a conference in this era because they're in a small market (Ames has 50k population) and while they're the closest program to the largest city in Iowa - Des Moines (200k population) - that's still a very small city and ISU is the 3rd most popular team there behind Iowa and Nebraska.

ISU signed nothing with ESPN. The Big 12 signed something with ESPN. ESPN, like any party to a business deal, is not going to pay the same price for something it agreed to if what is being delivered is a product of substantially less value than the contract stipulated. ESPN will either re-negotiate or void the contract, as any business would.

As a lawyer.... I should have realized that I was skipping a step....

This is very tricky.... ISU is a party to the Big 12 so they would have rights here and damages. This could get ugly.

Some answers would be within the TV documents themselves... and unless someone is going to pay me, I am not delving into those to find answers....

I am gonna take the lazy way out and say.... Ill wait and see....

But this is going to get very interesting.

As a lawyer.... I should have realized that I was skipping a step....

This is very tricky.... ISU is a party to the Big 12 so they would have rights here and damages. This could get ugly.

Some answers would be within the TV documents themselves... and unless someone is going to pay me, I am not delving into those to find answers....

I am gonna take the lazy way out and say.... Ill wait and see....

But this is going to get very interesting.

Hopefully OU just recommits the the Big 12 and this crap ends.

Hopefully OU just recommits the the Big 12 and this crap ends.

I am of the opinion that I like the 4 super conferences so we get some sort of a playoff system....

I really would like to see Texas screw themselves over by being greedy and going independent or to the ACC.

**** Iowa St, that is all. Kidding aside, tough situation for them and others. Im just thankful we are in the PAC, it would suck to be dealing with all this bs in the Big Tex.

A lobbyist familiar with Starr’s visit, which began Wednesday and ends today, tells PI that the push is about Starr “really trying to convey that you have to have the student athletes’ interests at heart first before chasing after the biggest contractual agreements” with television networks.

He is such an effing hypocrite. He would be threatening to sue those blocking him if he was in aTm's shoes.

He is such an effing hypocrite. He would be threatening to sue those blocking him if he was in aTm's shoes.

Where was he pushing the student part of that agenda when the SWC was breaking up....

or is it that Rice, Houston, TCU and SMU students are not quite on the same level as the Baylor student?

Where was he pushing the student part of that agenda when the SWC was breaking up....

or is it that Rice, Houston, TCU and SMU students are not quite on the same level as the Baylor student?
Only PETE THOMAS is on the same level as the Baylor student. FACT!!

how can Iowa state sue? The big 12 contract they signed has exit clauses and termination procedures, just like any other partnership. If I start a bar with 12 people and in the partnership agreement it says if 6 of 10 people agree to sell then we must sell. I doubt I would win any lawsuit if I didn't agree with what was contractually agreed upon.

how can Iowa state sue? The big 12 contract they signed has exit clauses and termination procedures, just like any other partnership. If I start a bar with 12 people and in the partnership agreement it says if 6 of 10 people agree to sell then we must sell. I doubt I would win any lawsuit if I didn't agree with what was contractually agreed upon.

First rule is that u can always sue.

I don't know what the language says in the tv deal or the big 12 agreement..... So no way to know except that the first rule always applies.

Back