What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is CU as much of a rebuilding project as we think?

It would do us a world of good just to beat the teams we should. Losing to Hawaii, CSU, and Sac State doesn't do much to inspire kids to want to play for your school. Getting absolutely blown off the field by Fresno is enough to embarass guys who might be interested away. Add to that giving up 50+ in the majority of your games and having an offense that looks like it would have a hard time scoring against a good HS team and no wonder you aren't up in the recruiting rankings.
honestly... hawaii in hawaii is difficult...

The only areas that I am not concerns about are TE and RB. Every other area is a concern.

My only concern, after reading the referenced post, is for the English language. I can only hope that this was not produced by a fellow graduate.

honestly... hawaii in hawaii is difficult...

Certainly, the trip over, the confidence they have at home. At the same time you can't tell me that even with us down that Hawaii had better talent than we did. They didn't have tape on us to prepare with, they were transitioning with a number of new guys in key positions, and at the end of the year they didn't turn out to be a very good team. Bottom line is that while difficult CU should beat Hawaii home or away.

I don't hold losing to Oregon, USC, Stanford, Ohio State, etc. against the coaches. Those teams are better than us right now on their worst days. What I have issues with is not winning the games we should win and that Mr. Embree is why you don't have a job right now as a head coach.

Do you have a stat to back that up?

You don't need 4*/5*'s to get to six wins but we need to start beating out other BCS schools for the 3*'s we get. Once we get to 6 wins, we will start to get some 4*'s.

You need to get some difference makers especially at the skill positions. Now if that is by coaching up so less recruited players that is fine but you have to get players that can consistently make plays. Right now we are not getting many 3 stars that other BCS schools are going after.

My only concern, after reading the referenced post, is for the English language. I can only hope that this was not produced by a fellow graduate.

It's also a stupid post. We're one injury away from not having a starting RB and who are our killer TEs?

You need to get some difference makers especially at the skill positions. Now if that is by coaching up so less recruited players that is fine but you have to get players that can consistently make plays. Right now we are not getting many 3 stars that other BCS schools are going after.

It also seems to pretty silly to just automatically write off any 4* and above players. Coaches can successfully out-recruit their team's record and recent record.

Based on the posts I have read it does appear that CU is a rebuilding project. We aren't attractive to upper end recruits, our facilities don't wow anyone who takes visits to other schools in our conference, and we haven't fielded a winning team in a very long time. Rebuilding project = absolutely.

It also seems to pretty silly to just automatically write off any 4* and above players. Coaches can successfully out-recruit their team's record and recent record.

You aren't going to get a lot but if the coaches already have established relationships with the players or with their HS coaches it is always worth making the effort if a guy can help you.

We also know that a guy like Parsons was truly interested in coming to CU, enough that he was a commit. There are other kids who may have some family tie or other connection to the school.

You probably aren't going to get many or even any but if you don't try it will certainly be none. This is what killed the last couple of classes of both BG and Hawk, the I'll take what I can get mentality instead of working and aiming for what I need.

If you eventually want to be a better team than you are it follows that somehow you need to get better players than you have. The sooner the better.

I wonder how many California kids got to know HCMM and his staff and liked them but were turned off by SJSU being a mid-major school. Would his now being in the PAC move some of those kids over.

Anyone can recruit. Obviously record and program direction/momentum help immensely. But look at a program like Washington and Tosh Lupoi. They're a solid program, but they're getting OV's from 5* LB's all the way from Alabama. Tosh or a like recruiter can help land recruits programs have no business landing

Anyone can recruit. Obviously record and program direction/momentum help immensely. But look at a program like Washington and Tosh Lupoi. They're a solid program, but they're getting OV's from 5* LB's all the way from Alabama. Tosh or a like recruiter can help land recruits programs have no business landing

I do not know if you are being serious with that.

You are saying certain guys can recruit to any school, not necessarily that "anyone can recruit".

Ok maybe anyone wasn't the correct word. But my point was that blue-chips aren't unattainable at this point and certain coaches can overrecruit for us. It isn't impossible. Hopefully Clark, Adams, Walters etc can do that

Ok maybe anyone wasn't the correct word. But my point was that blue-chips aren't unattainable at this point and certain coaches can overrecruit for us. It isn't impossible. Hopefully Clark, Adams, Walters etc can do that

I agree.

... What is wrong with that statement? If we got Lupoi or Klemm, I can guarantee we would get multiple 4*'s this class

If Lupoi is so great, what happened at Cal? He was there for five(?) years and last I looked, they fired the coach he recruited for......

couple of Colorado kids that got away - represented their teams well enough and played in bowl games. To bad CU could not keep these kids home?
C. Klein, D. Spond, K. Bell, Northwestern QB (?), - Missing some I am sure?

If Lupoi is so great, what happened at Cal? He was there for five(?) years and last I looked, they fired the coach he recruited for......

Lupoi does not coach offense and therefore is not responsible for QB evaluations.

His track record is out there. It is really good.

couple of Colorado kids that got away - represented their teams well enough and played in bowl games. To bad CU could not keep these kids home?
C. Klein, D. Spond, K. Bell, Northwestern QB (?), - Missing some I am sure?
People need to quit using Klein as an example. One, if you told anyone that Klein would be a Heisman contender out of HS you would have been called crazy and a dumbass. Two, he in all likelyhood would not be playing QB at CU.

Spond, while still sucks, is understandable why he went to ND with his concussion issues.

Kenny Bell and Cain Kolter are no excuses, both should be in Boulder.

Lupoi does not coach offense and therefore is not responsible for QB evaluations.

His track record is out there. It is really good.

One problem with his track record is that he takes some border line grade risk kids. Cal has a pretty wide window for getting athletes in, but they still have to go to class at Cal. I think that they were having a lot of grade problems with some of the kids.

I believe he and Tedford started not seeing eye to eye on that. Of course only one of them is still employed.

So I was thinking and posted on buffstampede, but do we even have 5 players on our roster that would start for even 1/2 of the Pac-12?

PRich.....

So I was thinking and posted on buffstampede, but do we even have 5 players on our roster that would start for even 1/2 of the Pac-12?

PRich.....

Good question. Prich if he returns to form would be one. Chidera Uzo-Diribe could be put in that category. I think guys like Crawley, Tupou, Wright, Powell, Mosely, Nembot all could be candidates for that assuming they make good progression from their Frosh to Sophomore year. But in my mind talent level is where CU really is behind.

Good question. Prich if he returns to form would be one. Chidera Uzo-Diribe could be put in that category. I think guys like Crawley, Tupou, Wright, Powell, Mosely, Nembot all could be candidates for that assuming they make good progression from their Frosh to Sophomore year. But in my mind talent level is where CU really is behind.

You mean, now that we have a coach.

I think we're all hoping that this staff can turn the current players into guys that could start for other teams in the P12. But the reality is obvious that we are lacking in the talent department compared to our "peers" and it'll only be through a combination of coaching and improved talent that gets us to the top half of the P12

Back