What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is CU as much of a rebuilding project as we think?

So I was thinking and posted on buffstampede, but do we even have 5 players on our roster that would start for even 1/2 of the Pac-12?

A good question, BUT was last year really a good judge of the talent? One could argue that the lack of coaching developement, scheme, game-day coaching etc was so poor how could one fully evaluate a players potential. Plus many were/are freshmen that would be sitting behind a talented upperclassmen on other Pac12 rosters just waiting for thier chance.

So I was thinking and posted on buffstampede, but do we even have 5 players on our roster that would start for even 1/2 of the Pac-12?

A good question, BUT was last year really a good judge of the talent? One could argue that the lack of coaching developement, scheme, game-day coaching etc was so poor how could one fully evaluate a players potential. Plus many were/are freshmen that would be sitting behind a talented upperclassmen on other Pac12 rosters just waiting for thier chance.

Richardson would have if he was healthy. W/out researching it much I can name 5 guys who would likely start for other teams.
Powell at FB
D.B. at an OT position
D.Rippy at a LB position.
Ugh..I think that is it. Man we were young and not very talented last year.
Crawley/Yuri/Henderson get incompletes IMO but one of them would probably start in the Nickel for 1/2 the teams in the conference.

Are we assuming 3 scholarships to go. My math has us at exactly 85 now. Do we have a guess on which 3 guys we might lose?

True...Rippy and Major really regressed.

Didn't you get the feeling the Cabral was very unhappy they took Water Bottle (and Bienemy) as the "legacy choice"HC and as a result Cabral "just mailed it in" the last two years?

After all, he had real reasons to be PO'ed: He stuck around through all the bad times showing far more loyalty than either WB or EB; was far more familiar with the college game as it stands, than WB; had a 2-1 record as interim HC; had a far better record for player development than either WB or EB; and is also a member of an under-represented class (Polynesian). If that BFL crowd had their sh*t together (a stretch, I realize), Cabral made far more sense as the "cheap legacy alternative" for HC, than WB ever did........Cabral also had his own desk and access to bottled water as well!

But then, WB was a BFLifer, it was his deal. Still.......

I don't think he mailed it in. I think he has to much pride in his work. I just really think the schemes weren't translated to the players well and that preparation was lacking. We also were just so over matched by the speed of Oregon, USC, etc... that we looked embarrassed. I honestly thought the power teams we played like Stanford we matched up well against. As soon as Stanford switched QB's to a guy that could run we again looked lost. I think Brown had no answer for running QB's or the spread.

I don't think he mailed it in. I think he has to much pride in his work. I just really think the schemes weren't translated to the players well and that preparation was lacking. We also were just so over matched by the speed of Oregon, USC, etc... that we looked embarrassed. I honestly thought the power teams we played like Stanford we matched up well against. As soon as Stanford switched QB's to a guy that could run we again looked lost. I think Brown had no answer for running QB's or the spread.

You're quibbling over terms: I would certainly consider "preparation was lacking" as just another term for "mailing it in"!

I think the preparation lacking came from Brown more than Cabral. I can't imagine he will get another shot at coordinating a defense for a very long time.

CU is a major rebuilding project. I know some of you like to live in denial, but the Embo presser and the several years of losing has already set us back a minimum of 3 years from now. CU is not as attractive as some of you will like to think right now. The first step in getting better is self evaluation.

Last edited:
Back