What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Irwin playing out of position at LT?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Seems that he has really struggled the past few weeks.

Before camp, I always thought of him as a Guard who could maybe play RT.

Frankly, with the way teams play these days I'm not so sure there's still much of a difference between LT and RT. Both are pass-pro spots that put you on an island. So maybe I just see Irwin as an OG.

I wonder if this year's OL would actually be better if Crabb was playing LT and Irwin was playing LG. I think we'd get more movement that way on the interior runs. And while Crabb doesn't have the length you want in a LT, he has pretty good feet and the football IQ of a 5th year senior so would likely be serviceable there.

Thoughts?

Growing pains iyam. The issue with this offense is run blocking, not the LT in pass pro. He may be our worst OL in that regard, but when you drop back 67 times in a game, somebody is going to get through...

LT may not be Irwins best/natural position, but he may be the best we have in order to make the line the best it can be.

In a perfect world I think Irwin slides into a guard position.

This post takes me back to the rumors I hear about favoritism/not using the best talent on the OL. We're decent right now at OL, but I just feel like we move a few people around, add Calahan to the mix, we could be better. But just my uninformed view from 35K feet.

This post takes me back to the rumors I hear about favoritism/not using the best talent on the OL. We're decent right now at OL, but I just feel like we move a few people around, add Calahan to the mix, we could be better. But just my uninformed view from 35K feet.

Problem is that mixing and matching OL is difficult and tends to lead to more issues than benefits once the season has begun. Has to do with their chemistry and that mythical "gelling" we all need to see on the OL. Unless Callahan is far and away the better RG, then he likely won't be subbed in to the starting 5. Now with that said, the bye week coming up opens a few more possibilities that things could be shuffled if need be.

LT may not be Irwins best/natural position, but he may be the best we have in order to make the line the best it can be.

In a perfect world I think Irwin slides into a guard position.

This, he may be a natural guard more than a tackle but he is doing well for a guy in his first year starting at the tougest position on the OL.

Idealy I'd like him inside but until we have someone better we don't have a choice. He has done better than I expected him to do and would expect him to get better as he gets more experience there.

This, he may be a natural guard more than a tackle but he is doing well for a guy in his first year starting at the tougest position on the OL.

Idealy I'd like him inside but until we have someone better we don't have a choice. He has done better than I expected him to do and would expect him to get better as he gets more experience there.

I thought I read that Irwin has only played guard in HS

Back