What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is it time to sit Sefo?

All of this is academic. Barring an injury that takes Sefo out, he is going to play. IMO, the staff has invested all of their coaching chops into him (let that sink in for a moment) and they are going to ride him for better or worse. Why? I think, again, just speculation on my part, that no bowl game means no job next year. They simply are not going to risk what may be a learning curve for the next QB because that is as good as a resignation.

All of this is academic. Barring an injury that takes Sefo out, he is going to play. IMO, the staff has invested all of their coaching chops into him (let that sink in for a moment) and they are going to ride him for better or worse. Why? I think, again, just speculation on my part, that no bowl game means no job next year. They simply are not going to risk what may be a learning curve for the next QB because that is as good as a resignation.

I believe you're right.

The coaches seem to be thinking that if Sefo simply does the things he has done before and plays the game he is capable of, that gives the Buffs the best chance to win. And they believe that Sefo doing so is a better bet than one of the backups coming in and playing even up to the level we're currently seeing from Sefo.

Frustrating.

After the first quarter, he looked pretty good. He just has to put an entire game together.

He looked adequate after ASU called the dogs off.

I wondered which one of you was right, so I compiled the splits. I would argue that DBT is correct. I don't think ASU had "called the dogs off" in the 2nd Q, and I would say his performance in that quarter was "adequate". He looked pretty good in Q 3:

1st Q:
5/12, 72 yds, 6.00 YPA, 42% Completion. 2 Sacks, 1 Int/0 TD

2nd Q:
8/12 92 yds, 7.67 YPA, 67% Completion. 2 Sacks, 0 Int/0 TD

1st H:
13/24 164 yds, 6.83 YPA, 54% completion

3rd Q:
4/4 86 yds, 21.5 YPA, 100% completion. 1 Sack, 0 Int/1TD. 1 Fumble Lost

4th Q:
8/12 139 yds, 11.58 YPA, 67% completion. 3 Sacks, 0Int/0TD.

2nd H:
12/16, 225 yds, 14.06 YPA, 75% completion

One thing I find strange/aggravating: CU Run/Pass Balance. As I said in another thread, the first 9 plays from scrimmage were passes, when the game was even. In fact, 28/39 plays in the first half (maybe 29, I don't remember if Sefo's run on the last drive before half was a called QB run or an improvised scramble) were passes. Then, in the second half, when the margin was no closer than 21 points, the run/pass balance was 17/16. WTF?

They should sit Sefo for his own good (shoulder and head). They aren't doing anyone any favors by playing him, and we need to rest him, and quite frankly, point to the OSU game. That might be our only winnable game left, and these guys deserve the best shot we have to get it done.

The state of our program....

VgUp4xR.gif

They should sit Sefo for his own good (shoulder and head). They aren't doing anyone any favors by playing him, and we need to rest him, and quite frankly, point to the OSU game. That might be our only winnable game left, and these guys deserve the best shot we have to get it done.
agree

The most likely scenario assuming Mac has any sense of job security is that, once there is no mathematical chance of going to a bowl game (3 and 6 going into Stanford for instance), we will start to see one or both of the backups. How much they play and how much Sefo is excluded probably depends on how bad he plays in the next 3 and how good they play when they get their chance.

If Mac feels like he must win to keep his job, then all bets are off. I would guess that in that scenario he would stay with Sefo, but who knows.

All of the being said, the truth us none of us have a fvcking clue. These decisions are about a lot more than who throws the better deep ball, or who has the most ability in the run game.

I think the key phrase is barring an injury. The way things are going it is very likely that we'll need to use another QB at some point this season. The coaching staff has to know this. That is why not not giving Apsay some meaningful snaps in the 4th quarter when we're down by 4 TDs was really frustrating. I'd hate to see Apsay get his first meaningful snaps of his career when our backs are up against the wall in a winnable game on the road.
Something like: we have a 7point lead early in the 4th quarter on the road at Oregon st. and Sefo just got knocked out of the game because he held on to the ball too long again. In comes Apsay with a brown stain in his pants.

I think the key phrase is barring an injury. The way things are going it is very likely that we'll need to use another QB at some point this season. The coaching staff has to know this. That is why not not giving Apsay some meaningful snaps in the 4th quarter when we're down by 4 TDs was really frustrating. I'd hate to see Apsay get his first meaningful snaps of his career when our backs are up against the wall in a winnable game on the road.
Something like: we have a 7point lead early in the 4th quarter on the road at Oregon st. and Sefo just got knocked out of the game because he held on to the ball too long again. In comes Apsay with a brown stain in his pants.
I hope they don't wear the all whites...

This makes a lot of sense. Although you could also make a case that a switch now to Montez, even if you don't reach a bowl game, but Montez flashes, would give him something to sell for next year. Especially if the offense shows some explosive plays.

I'm no big Sefo fan, I think all things being equal, he's still no better than an average to below average P5 QB. But if anyone thinks Apsay or Gehrke would be better, consider what they have to work with.

1. Arguably the worst and smallest OL in P5 in pass protection ... And they're banged up.
2. Arguably the shortest and skinniest group of receivers, at least in the PAC 12 ... So they won't be out jumping or out muscling many corners, really limiting what you can do route wise
3. No TE play to speak of
4. Mind boggling play calling for long stretches from Lindgren, not giving his QB opportunities to get rhythm
5. A depleted RB group that has been inconsistent... But really they could be much worse .... Look at WSU.

We've invested 2.5 seasons in Sefo and there's no way, short of a total meltdown by him, that Mac benches him. The honest truth is that we're closer than we were 3 years ago, but the gap was so wide, that even progress looks like regression at times.

Check the vid that snow posted. Aspay hits that pass. Sefo is holding this team back.

uh, what?

It's inevitable that the back ups are going to play. With the way our oline is pass unprotecting its just a matter of time before Sefo gets hurt bad enough that he can't continue. The 2 questions are, when will Sefo get hurt & who goes in when he does.

Although I agree that the coaches need to be getting the backup(s) time in the game, those clamoring for Cade to take over for Sefo better be careful what they wish for. Case in point?

9/18, 64 yds, 3.5 YPA, 50% completion, 0Int/0TD,

That's Gehrke's line from the Oregon game when many were calling for him to get time. The grass isn't always greener.

I'll leave it to the coaches to decide who is the best QB. I have seen enough of Sefo to believe he really isn't a P12 QB. He is tough, doesn't rattle easy and is a competent runner. He has accuracy problems. He cannot go through his reads, he does not manage the clock well. The lack of reads is surely partly caused by the fact he gets no protection at all, but when you are trying a turn around in CFB, it almost always takes a special QB to jump start the process. Sefo is not that QB, and the INT's are pretty glaring.

Problem is, I suspect he is the best CU has. If he had a solid OL, we probably would not be having this discussion. The run game would take pressure off, and he would have more time in the pocket. He would be a competent QB under those circumstances. I will say the failure to give his understudies snaps in garbage time is very foolish, and wreaks of desperation that the staff hopes against hope Sefo will become that special QB with just a few more snaps.

It's inevitable that the back ups are going to play. With the way our oline is pass unprotecting its just a matter of time before Sefo gets hurt bad enough that he can't continue. The 2 questions are, when will Sefo get hurt & who goes in when he does.
Seems to me the reality is we have no OL, so we need a QB who can make plays under pressure, and that ain't Sefo. I'm all for trying something different until the OL reality changes.

I think MM has shown a willingness to make a change at the position. He dumped Wood for a freshman, he gave Gehrke a chance. If he is not changing I really think it is because he knows (believes) the alternative is even worse.

I'll leave it to the coaches to decide who is the best QB. I have seen enough of Sefo to believe he really isn't a P12 QB. He is tough, doesn't rattle easy and is a competent runner. He has accuracy problems. He cannot go through his reads, he does not manage the clock well. The lack of reads is surely partly caused by the fact he gets no protection at all, but when you are trying a turn around in CFB, it almost always takes a special QB to jump start the process. Sefo is not that QB, and the INT's are pretty glaring.

Problem is, I suspect he is the best CU has. If he had a solid OL, we probably would not be having this discussion. The run game would take pressure off, and he would have more time in the pocket. He would be a competent QB under those circumstances. I will say the failure to give his understudies snaps in garbage time is very foolish, and wreaks of desperation that the staff hopes against hope Sefo will become that special QB with just a few more snaps.

This. My suspicion is that, given the amount of contact, Sefo will not make it to the end of the season and we will likely see one of the other guys after that with no going back.

If he had a solid OL, we probably would not be having this discussion. The run game would take pressure off, and he would have more time in the pocket. He would be a competent QB under those circumstances. I will say the failure to give his understudies snaps in garbage time is very foolish, and wreaks of desperation that the staff hopes against hope Sefo will become that special QB with just a few more snaps.

Seems to me the reality is we have no OL, so we need a QB who can make plays under pressure, and that ain't Sefo. I'm all for trying something different until the OL reality changes.

This is the truth. Through two conference games, Sefo is completing 61% of his passes at 7.58 YPA. You can win games with those numbers if the OL gives you anything in the rushing game. The problem is the rushing game is producing 1.94 YPC, and has is on pace to yield 58.5 (yes, that's the right number) sacks in CONFERENCE PLAY ALONE.

The OL has been ****.

Back