What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is it time to sit Sefo?

Um, before completely hanging the sack numbers on the OL, please refer to all the times Sefo has either 1) inexplicably pulled it down when he had nowhere to run and/or no reason to run or 2) held onto the ball for way too long.

I agree that Sefo has pressure right off the bat a lot of the time, but that's not always the reason why he's having problems.

I agree that Sefo is out of his league. But I also think he gives us the best shot at winning. I think we should play Sefo until we are mathematically eliminated from Bowling. At that point, we need to play Apsay for the final 2-3 games to aid in his development.
Both backups should get time once eliminated from bowling.

All teams commit mistakes and turnovers. The great teams have the breadth and depth to counter those mistakes at all positions. We do not.

Not really. Not even good teams can overcome mistakes by QBs at critical times.

I'm not an expert when it comes to the technical side of football but here is what I noticed about Sefo in the AZ game. He is a strong QB in the 2 & 3 quarters. He plays relaxed, has a rhythm and makes the throws it looks like he should make. We also move the ball well in those quarters and put points up on the board.
In the 1 & 4 quarters he's a weak QB. He plays tight, overthrows a lot, gets happy feet and can't keep the team moving down the field. As a result, we tend to start slow and spot teams 10-14 points early and/or lose the close games in the 4th because Sefo can't execute or plays it safe in the clutch situations.

When I think about it I see this trend going back through the last 2 years. When has Sefo ever made a game winning clutch play? I'm starting to think he's just not the guy you want to give the ball to when the game is on the line.

In a game where we still had a chance to win/tie up until the final drive, why would you pull the starter for any series?
Because you want to develop QB depth?
Because your starting QB, while not sucking, isn't getting it done (see Arizona), and a change of pace might be good?

Giving the backup meaningful reps in an undecided game is not some weird unusual strategy used by college coaches with strange personalities. It's pretty normal, and is only viewed as weird by people who are more familiar with the no fun league than they are with college football.

Just to drive home this point, of the P5 games this last week that were decided by less than one score, 19% of the coaches sat their starting QB for at least one series (excluding injury replacements).

I'm not an expert when it comes to the technical side of football but here is what I noticed about Sefo in the AZ game. He is a strong QB in the 2 & 3 quarters. He plays relaxed, has a rhythm and makes the throws it looks like he should make. We also move the ball well in those quarters and put points up on the board.
In the 1 & 4 quarters he's a weak QB. He plays tight, overthrows a lot, gets happy feet and can't keep the team moving down the field. As a result, we tend to start slow and spot teams 10-14 points early and/or lose the close games in the 4th because Sefo can't execute or plays it safe in the clutch situations.

When I think about it I see this trend going back through the last 2 years. When has Sefo ever made a game winning clutch play? I'm starting to think he's just not the guy you want to give the ball to when the game is on the line.

Strongly disagree with these statements, especially the part about being a "weak QB" in the 1st. The 1st quarter was undeniably his strongest quarter. Here are his numbers from the first quarter Saturday:

8/9, 146 yds, 16.2 YPA, 88.89% completion, 1TD/0INT

For reference, his 2nd was his weakest quarter:
5/8, 37 yds, 4.6 YPA, 62.5% completion, 2 Rush, 9 yds, 1 Rush TD

The 3rd and 4th were "OK":
5/10, 72 yds, 7.2 YPA, 50% completion, 2 Rush, 11 yds, 1 Rush TD

10/16, 93 yds, 5.8 YPA, 62.5% completion, 2 sacks, 1 Rush, 8 yds, 1TD/0INT

The latter criticism regarding Sefo making a game winning play is deserved. There are a few rare instances when he's made a play that ended any chances of winning the game, but there have never been any instances of him making a play that won the game that I can recall.

Can you coach "clutchiness"?

Sefo put enough points up to win. There is not a better QB waiting to carry us to victory. This thread is starting to make me a bit angry!

Sefo put enough points up to win. There is not a better QB waiting to carry us to victory. This thread is starting to make me a bit angry! [/QUOTE]

tumblr_lybwbdOODR1r3imwf.jpg

Sefo aint great and may never be great, but when healthy he is better than a lot of other QBs we've had. Lots of teams would love to have him. His problem is that he isn't good enough to overcome our other issues (cough line talent cough)

Right. The loss is squarely on the defensive collapse in the fourth quarter.
When the O couldn't move the ball at all for 6 straight possessions, I knew it was over. The defense gave the offense the opportunity to put the game out of reach, and the offense completely shat on themselves.

Loss was a team effort. Offense couldn't move the ball, coaches didn't give them much chance. A couple more scores and the game would have been over, instead we went to the 3 and out offense.

With all the 3 and outs the defense got gassed and proceeded to get run over in the fourth quarter. They however take the blame as well since they had plenty of opportunity and failed to make a single game changing play. No forced turnover, no big sack, no effort play resulting in a big holding call to put UA in bad position.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Sefo failed to move the offense effectively in the 2nd half. Taking bad sacks after 5+ seconds in the pocket. Continued to put the defense back on the field. A tired team couldn't keep up with the agility of the new QB. We should have been up by 2-3 TDs in the 3rd and they wouldn't have made the change to a run-heavy offense.

Cliffs: Ready for Apsay.

Time to sit Lindgren? At some point fourth quarter collapses need to fall on the shoulders of the coaches getting outplayed in the chess match
We are out coached on an alarmingly regular basis, which is a strong argument for a coaching change. Or, at least, replacing assistants.

I thought Sefo played pretty decently. Like snow said, not good enough to win, not bad enough to lose. He's just anti-clutch. If there's a big play to be made at an important moment in the game, he won't make it. He won't necessarily throw a pick or take a sack, but he'll throw the ball well behind a receiver or something and it'll be on the receiver to make a great catch which we rarely see.

The offense being ****ty is a true team effort. The OL has been awful for the most part, but when they do protect Sefo he 1 hops the pass or the receiver drops it. If we run block, they mostly don't, but if they do the subpar talent at RB will no doubt find a defender and run into them for a 2 yard gain. Then if it all comes together, Lindgren ****s it up with some hairbrained call. Still can't believe he called those two runs with 4 minutes left. Can't believe Mac didn't intervene on those calls. Can't believe Sefo didn't audible out. Can't believe, CU's motto for 2015!

Right. The loss is squarely on the defensive collapse in the fourth quarter.

That is a load of crap with the number of 3 and outs the O gave them late in the third and into the 4th. This was not a loss on the D. This was a loss on us turtling and not stepping on their throats when we had the momentum.

That is a load of crap with the number of 3 and outs the O gave them late in the third and into the 4th. This was not a loss on the D. This was a loss on us turtling and not stepping on their throats when we had the momentum.
I kept thinking, when we were up 24-17, "If we can just score and get a two score lead, we can win this thing." Didn't happen because, apparently, our crack coaching staff were afraid Sefo would make a mistake. Or some such ****.

I kept thinking, when we were up 24-17, "If we can just score and get a two score lead, we can win this thing." Didn't happen because, apparently, our crack coaching staff were afraid Sefo would make a mistake. Or some such ****.
This!!! They have hammered the kid into not turning over the ball over to the point that he is afraid to throw a simple screen pass.

Sefo should be benched. I will skip the "he is a warrior" part. He simply doesn't have the tools to be a wining Pac12 QB.

Last edited:
This!!! They have hammered the kid into not turning over the ball that he can't throw a simple screen pass.

Sefo should be benched. I will skip the "he is a warrior" part. He simply doesn't have the tools to be a wining Pac12 QB.
Apparently, he has more tools than Gehrke and Apsay.

Back