What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is jabari a nba prospect hot takes thread

Is Jabari Walker an NBA prospect

• Yes

Votes: 45 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Can't tell yet

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
Any news about the weight that Jabari is going to play at this year? Roster still lists him at 200 pounds. If he can get into the low 220 range and still be the same player if not better, I think he’s gone after this upcoming season.
He didn't look any bigger in the vids from the overseas trip.

I have the impression that the NBA drafts more on potential than any other league. Am I correct on this assumption? Maybe someone who pays more attention to draft eligible prospects can weigh in.

Didn’t read any of this thread other than voting. Jabari will be the highest drafted Buff Tad has ever recruited. NBA loves a Jabari type game

You are mostly correct. If Jabari has even the same numbers as last year he needs to go.
Yep, no doubt. You never know when you can blow out a knee, have ankle or foot problems, etc.. Take the opportunity when it's there.

You are mostly correct. If Jabari has even the same numbers as last year he needs to go.
Especially if he has some big performances in any of our national type games when he's showing against top competition.

Jabari needs two more years. Stay healthy, progressively get bigger and better, enter after JR year, go 1st round, PROFIT.
Maybe. But he could also make a jump this season and average 13-15 PPG to go with 6-8 rebounds and vault into the first round. I think he’s the best player in the team and could play himself into a first rounder.

I have the impression that the NBA drafts more on potential than any other league. Am I correct on this assumption? Maybe someone who pays more attention to draft eligible prospects can weigh in.
MLB takes the cake there, even college JRs/SRs are drafted with an expectation that they'll play a minimum of another season and a half of pro ball before getting to the bigs. It's entirely different though with so many guys getting drafted right out of high school, and there's no international draft so you see 16 year olds getting signed, playing in the Dominican leagues for a year or two, before coming stateside, then having another 2-3 years of minor league ball before even getting a sniff of the 26 man MLB roster.

NHL is similar too, drafting guys who will stay with their colleges or developmental leagues for a bit before then moving into the minor leagues of the NHL organization. I don't follow that as closely.

Compared to the NFL, my sense is that NBA drafts more on potential, now that there's the G-League and two-way contracts which are a very light version of the developmental and minor leagues in MLB and NHL.

The NBA would rather someone work on his game on the end of their bench or in the G League or in Europe with the team controlling his rights than him spend another year in college. The only reason to stay is if the NBA folks tell you that you wouldn't be drafted if you left.

Isn't Dre the only instance of Tad getting sideways with a player about leaving? Ironically Dre probably had the best landing spot of any player we've had drafted in the Boyle era. And it seems that since then he's been very careful to support the players in their decisions.
I don’t recall Tad getting sideways about it. Was there an article or quote out there from him regarding the situation? I remember a lot of AllBuffers thinking Dre shouldn’t go pro, but not Tad.

I don’t recall Tad getting sideways about it. Was there an article or quote out there from him regarding the situation? I remember a lot of AllBuffers thinking Dre shouldn’t go pro, but not Tad.

If I remember correctly there was a quote that wasn't real favorable about the decision, and there was some smoke behind the scenes, but he never came out and said anything directly.

If I remember correctly there was a quote that wasn't real favorable about the decision, and there was some smoke behind the scenes, but he never came out and said anything directly.
This is what I recall as well.

I think this is the most critical thing he said publicly:

A lot of thinks to unpack in that article. Andre's dad at the time seemed to diminish the role Tad and co had on his development to be a NBA player. Even though he had no shot at being drafted at the time he entered the college ranks. Tad's response seems to come after he heard what Andre's dad said which I don't blame him. He also knew the team he had coming back and as the article references Andre was a second round-undrafted projected player.

However, I also agree with Andre's dad in the sense that your kid should go get whatever money he can playing professionally and can get a college degree after.

Another thing that I think has changed Tad's perspective is Spencer's terrible knee injury. Like you never know what can happen. Fortunately Spencer has been able to overcome that, was still able to get drafted, and have an amazing career.

Last thought on this is Tad's players have historically shot up in predraft process (including Dre). Who inspite of all the talk of being a second rounder or undrafted went in the first. Derrick White wasn't a first round pick going into the predraft process and blew up. George King wasn't going to get drafted, played amazing in Reese's College All Star Game, Portsmouth Invitational then because of that got Combine invite and got drafted. Kin was going to be an undrafted free agent signing, but due to impressive performances at combine, etc had people thinking otherwise even as a 5'11 guard people thought he might get drafted.

Maybe. But he could also make a jump this season and average 13-15 PPG to go with 6-8 rebounds and vault into the first round. I think he’s the best player in the team and could play himself into a first rounder.
When he gets drafted, cause he will. I just hope it's a good organization, situation matters.

A lot of thinks to unpack in that article. Andre's dad at the time seemed to diminish the role Tad and co had on his development to be a NBA player. Even though he had no shot at being drafted at the time he entered the college ranks. Tad's response seems to come after he heard what Andre's dad said which I don't blame him. He also knew the team he had coming back and as the article references Andre was a second round-undrafted projected player.

However, I also agree with Andre's dad in the sense that your kid should go get whatever money he can playing professionally and can get a college degree after.

Another thing that I think has changed Tad's perspective is Spencer's terrible knee injury. Like you never know what can happen. Fortunately Spencer has been able to overcome that, was still able to get drafted, and have an amazing career.

Last thought on this is Tad's players have historically shot up in predraft process (including Dre). Who inspite of all the talk of being a second rounder or undrafted went in the first. Derrick White wasn't a first round pick going into the predraft process and blew up. George King wasn't going to get drafted, played amazing in Reese's College All Star Game, Portsmouth Invitational then because of that got Combine invite and got drafted. Kin was going to be an undrafted free agent signing, but due to impressive performances at combine, etc had people thinking otherwise even as a 5'11 guard people thought he might get drafted.
As I recall, Tad said he thought the pre-draft evaluation indicated that Dre’s NBA stock would increase if he remained at CU for another season. I think Dre going in the first round changed Tad’s mind—and also changed his mindset going forward.

Last edited:
Sideways may have been a little harsh on my part, but it seems since then he's never been anything but straight ahead positive on behalf of players declaring.

Isn't Dre the only instance of Tad getting sideways with a player about leaving? Ironically Dre probably had the best landing spot of any player we've had drafted in the Boyle era. And it seems that since then he's been very careful to support the players in their decisions.
Bey shouldn't have left when he did, IMO.

I dunno, everyone was saying he was going to go in the first, but he didn't and now he's stuck with his second team in as many years in the G League. I think he could have benefited from another year in Boulder.

And he could have gotten hurt. Or his stock could have fallen because the NBA values potential. If you can go, you go.

Bey shouldn't have left when he did, IMO.
Was he going to develop enough in that extra year to change his status as a pro prospect? I doubt it.

To stick in the league he needs to develop a better offensive game. He needs to be able to create shots and he needs to develop a jump shot from mid to long range that can be counted on and he needs to be able to get that shot.

Right now he has a power forwards game in a small forwards body. That worked in the PAC where he was a better athlete than almost everyone but in the league he isn't a better athlete.

Back