What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is KU in trouble?

MiamiBuffs

YYZ
Club Member
I looked in the Les Miles - HC Kansas thread and didnt see this story posted. This could be why Miles got fired. It seems like it could lead to a lot more trouble for KU.

“Les Miles and Jeff Long swept this under the rug and tried to buy our silence,” Jamie said. “This is how they operated while representing Kansas.”

————————————
After Caperton Humphrey said he had an argument with a pair of teammates — and the next day discovered someone had loosened the lug nuts on one of his tires — he filed a police report. When that same feud led to arguments before workouts in the locker room, Jamie Humphrey reported that to a lifelong friend in KU’s compliance office and also told him the players were selling drugs. The information was eventually funneled to football coach Les Miles who, according to Caperton Humphrey, told the players to watch themselves.

Caperton said he was challenged by those same four defensive teammates — who would receive substantial playing time under Miles — before workouts and in the locker room. It became so serious that the Humphreys contacted Reed about that while also communicating that two of those players were selling marijuana.

Caperton said on that day, he sent his roommate to talk to those guys. The message: Leave me alone and we’ll leave you alone — while remaining quiet about some drug offenses Caperton said he saw out his apartment window.

A few minutes later, those men were banging on his door to be let in, with about 10 people from the group — including the four defensive players — entering his apartment.

When the police arrived with sirens blaring — and after the players and the others had scrambled away — Caperton’s mother, Jennifer, could barely be consoled. The family had come from West Virginia to move Caperton out of his Lawrence apartment complex to get away from these teammates … but it was obvious now that wasn’t going to be enough.

“She basically said that there’s no way she could go home without me,” Caperton said, “(without) knowing that I was away from them.”

He and his dad said the family requested a meeting with Miles the next day, but it was declined. Miles did meet with Caperton and the four other football players, though, asking both sides to apologize. Neither side obliged.

————————————
The final resolution: KU’s athletic department agreeing to pay him more than $50,000 in benefits to go home after he reported threats and harassment from teammates.

The deal, in essence, would be this: If Caperton left Lawrence, took KU online classes in West Virginia, and he and his family agreed to not talk about his experiences with the football team, he would continue to be paid his tuition and monthly stipend money from spring 2019 through his expected graduation date in May 2020.

Specifically, the document stated that the Humphreys “understand and agree they will not make or publish, directly or indirectly, any materially negative comments verbally or in writing, on social media or in any other forum” about KU and KU Athletics employees “that might cause an individual to reasonably question the integrity, quality, character, competence or diligence of the University of Kansas, its Athletic Department, or its administrators, coaches, faculty and/or staff.”

————————————
Miles led KU to a 3-18 record over two seasons before being forced out due to a sexual harassment scandal dating back to his time at LSU. At a press conference on March 9, 2021–hours after Kansas and Miles agreed to part ways–[AD Jeff] Long said that Miles had assured him that there was nothing in his past "that could potentially embarrass the university or himself or our program." Long added that in February, he and other school officials had been alerted about "a legal dispute in Louisiana," but Miles had again assured him there was nothing to worry about. He claimed to have only learned about the allegations from the media. While Long was "beyond disappointed" that he had been forced to push Miles out, he believed it was "the right decision" under the circumstances."[10][11]

The following day, it was announced that Long was leaving KU as well. Chancellor Douglas Girod said that he and Long had met on the previous night, and the two agreed that it was in the school's best interest for Long to step down.

Last edited:
I looked in this thread and didnt see this story posted. This seems to be why Miles got fired. It seems like it could lead to a lot more trouble for KU.

“Les Miles and Jeff Long swept this under the rug and tried to buy our silence,” Jamie said. “This is how they operated while representing Kansas.”

After Caperton Humphrey said he had an argument with a pair of teammates — and the next day discovered someone had loosened the lug nuts on one of his tires — he filed a police report. When that same feud led to arguments before workouts in the locker room, Jamie Humphrey reported that to a lifelong friend in KU’s compliance office and also told him the players were selling drugs. The information was eventually funneled to football coach Les Miles who, according to Caperton Humphrey, told the players to watch themselves.

Caperton said he was challenged by those same four defensive teammates — who would receive substantial playing time under Miles — before workouts and in the locker room. It became so serious that the Humphreys contacted Reed about that while also communicating that two of those players were selling marijuana.

Caperton said on that day, he sent his roommate to talk to those guys. The message: Leave me alone and we’ll leave you alone — while remaining quiet about some drug offenses Caperton said he saw out his apartment window.

A few minutes later, those men were banging on his door to be let in, with about 10 people from the group — including the four defensive players — entering his apartment.

When the police arrived with sirens blaring — and after the players and the others had scrambled away — Caperton’s mother, Jennifer, could barely be consoled. The family had come from West Virginia to move Caperton out of his Lawrence apartment complex to get away from these teammates … but it was obvious now that wasn’t going to be enough.

“She basically said that there’s no way she could go home without me,” Caperton said, “(without) knowing that I was away from them.”

He and his dad said the family requested a meeting with Miles the next day, but it was declined. Miles did meet with Caperton and the four other football players, though, asking both sides to apologize. Neither side obliged.

The final resolution: KU’s athletic department agreeing to pay him more than $50,000 in benefits to go home after he reported threats and harassment from teammates.

The deal, in essence, would be this: If Caperton left Lawrence, took KU online classes in West Virginia, and he and his family agreed to not talk about his experiences with the football team, he would continue to be paid his tuition and monthly stipend money from spring 2019 through his expected graduation date in May 2020.

Specifically, the document stated that the Humphreys “understand and agree they will not make or publish, directly or indirectly, any materially negative comments verbally or in writing, on social media or in any other forum” about KU and KU Athletics employees “that might cause an individual to reasonably question the integrity, quality, character, competence or diligence of the University of Kansas, its Athletic Department, or its administrators, coaches, faculty and/or staff.”

We can complain about KD for his recruiting (I certainly do) and we have our frustrations but I also remember when some posters on this site were very interested in us hiring Les and upset when he ended up at Kansas.

I do believe that Les was very interested in our job but credit RG for not getting us tied up with this kind of mess.

It's a tough thing when your program is dirty and you still are a lousy team.

We can complain about KD for his recruiting (I certainly do) and we have our frustrations but I also remember when some posters on this site were very interested in us hiring Les and upset when he ended up at Kansas.

I do believe that Les was very interested in our job but credit RG for not getting us tied up with this kind of mess.

It's a tough thing when your program is dirty and you still are a lousy team.
Count me among those who thought Les Miles was qualified and would do well here.

KU was a program in terrible condition When he arrived that would also be harder to recruit to than CU would be. Miles I believe fell into his own trap by placing success on the field ahead of ethics. If its true, You cant have players dealing drugs and not do Anything about it when its brought to your attention. In todays social media centric recruiting process im not sure the disciplinarian resonates with recruits though it may resonate with their parents.

Count me among those who thought Les Miles was qualified and would do well here.

KU was a program in terrible condition When he arrived that would also be harder to recruit to than CU would be. Miles I believe fell into his own trap by placing success on the field ahead of ethics. If its true, You cant have players dealing drugs and not do Anything about it when its brought to your attention. In todays social media centric recruiting process im not sure the disciplinarian resonates with recruits though it may resonate with their parents.
Les has always been a good coach and a good recruiter. He has had success but at some places where winning football games is a little more "important" than it is at CU.

It may be that Les saw Kansas as his last good chance to save his career as a P5 head coach considering his age and some baggage he has acquired along the way. He may have thought that he couldn't afford the bad publicity or to lose the talent he had.

At LSU if he had to get rid of a starter he had a high 3* on the bench ready to jump in. At Kansas if he lost a 3* he had a G5 level guy, maybe.

I hadn't been following this story. Didn't realize it keeps blowing up bigger & Oregon State prez also lost his job for his role in it all while at LSU.

So glad we didn't hire Miles.
Your post caused me to do some additional digging.

Looks like things haven't changed much at LSU since Miles left. Ed O. busy covering up reports and protecting players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lsu...inst-numerous-football-players-174052235.html

They aren't Baylor (yet!) but it is clear that winning college football games is more important than young women's lives.

It is clear that the schools don't care and that the NCAA isn't interested. It's time for some sort of federal oversight based on title IX with investigative authority.

Enforce it by making schools ineligible to receive federal educational funds including grants and guaranteed student loans.

And of course all evidence of criminal wrongdoing that turns up is documented and turned over to local authorities who will know that the feds will have documented it so slipping it under the rug won't be an option.

Do away with "vacating wins" as a punishment. Replace with vacating scholarships.
Along with multi-year bans on dirty coaches and the administrators who allowed them to be dirty.

They don't want to do it after SMU but for repeat offenders cancel OOC schedules and even apply the death sentence.

NCAA though doesn't have the backbone to do any of this, they don't want to bother the cash cow.

This why I am moving towards the need for a federal oversite office. They would not deal with recruiting issues or illegal benefits other than if those benefits violated Title IX benefits.

What they would deal with would be Title IX compliance, equal opportunity, and safety and protection for all students.

This would focus on issues like sexual crimes or harassment, negative actions based on students race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc.

Again as mentioned earlier direct enforcement would primarily be based on withholding federal funds from schools but evidence gained could be passed on to local authorities for criminal prosecution when appropriate.

Your post caused me to do some additional digging.

Looks like things haven't changed much at LSU since Miles left. Ed O. busy covering up reports and protecting players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lsu...inst-numerous-football-players-174052235.html

They aren't Baylor (yet!) but it is clear that winning college football games is more important than young women's lives.

It is clear that the schools don't care and that the NCAA isn't interested. It's time for some sort of federal oversight based on title IX with investigative authority.

Enforce it by making schools ineligible to receive federal educational funds including grants and guaranteed student loans.

And of course all evidence of criminal wrongdoing that turns up is documented and turned over to local authorities who will know that the feds will have documented it so slipping it under the rug won't be an option.
Because they haven’t murdered anyone yet. Amirite?

Who would you recommend.

Clear that the schools themselves won't do it and the conferences and NCAA have no interest.

Do we keep letting girls get raped so good ol' state U can win some more football games?
Maybe a branch of the IRS or they could assign a special agent from the office of the Postal inspector. Better yet a special unit of the FBI could be charged with investigating these things along with officiating at CSU games.

Answering the question that started the thread, I think KU Football is in real trouble. Miles came in, cheated, covered it up, had more issues from his past exposed went 3-18, left the program arguably worse off on a pure football basis.

The combo of him having been at a high profile school (LSU), having committed infractions there and at a bottom feeder, combined with what is likely the end of his career really do not bode well for KU here. Seems like the perfect place for the NCAA to get tough. This will be far worse for KU than whatever Herm did at ASU.

Answering the question that started the thread, I think KU Football is in real trouble. Miles came in, cheated, covered it up, had more issues from his past exposed went 3-18, left the program arguably worse off on a pure football basis.

The combo of him having been at a high profile school (LSU), having committed infractions there and at a bottom feeder, combined with what is likely the end of his career really do not bode well for KU here. Seems like the perfect place for the NCAA to get tough. This will be far worse for KU than whatever Herm did at ASU.
Especially since KU hoops is also under NCAA scrutiny. They're one of the very few schools that will throw its football program under the bus in exchange for protecting its hoops program with a slap on the wrist.

Feds. At least we know what we have with the NCAA. The feds are good at a very small number of things that typically involve blowing **** up and killing people.
At this point we have most of the B1G (Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Nebraska, and more) with long term cover ups of felonious behavior that included multiple rapes including of children and the schools trying to act like it's no big deal.

We have schools like Baylor that tried to cover up murder (committed in conjunction with a drug deal) and followed it up by recruiting then covering up for multiple rapist.

We have LSU covering up rapes, we have the Kansas stuff, we have plenty more that I could list.

Yes we know what we have with the NCAA, an organization that has no interest or ability to protect student athletes or anyone else on campus except those counting the money.

These aren't recruiting violations, these aren't somebody getting a car or a house or a bag full of money. The NCAA can't even deal with that stuff.

What we have is billions of tax dollars going to campuses that are supposed to provide a safe and fair opportunity for all students regardless of gender, race, religion, etc. that are allowing peoples lives to be destroyed so they can protect the reputation and cash flow from their football and in some cases basketball teams.

No I'm not a big fan of the federal government and worry about what it would do to college sports. I am a lot more worried though about those young people across this country who are like my own kids and who soon be on a college campus where we assume they will have the opportunity to grow and develop, not be the targets of people who would abuse them under the cover of athletic programs.

If the NCAA and the schools don't want federal oversight then fix the problem. The have known about it for decades and have shown no inclination. In that case it's time for someone they can't manipulate to come in and do what they should have done all along.

If they can't at least make a reasonable attempt to comply with the law then their dollars should be shut off and sent to the schools that do comply with the law.

At this point we have most of the B1G (Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, ****braska, and more) with long term cover ups of felonious behavior that included multiple rapes including of children and the schools trying to act like it's no big deal.

We have schools like Baylor that tried to cover up murder (committed in conjunction with a drug deal) and followed it up by recruiting then covering up for multiple rapist.

We have LSU covering up rapes, we have the Kansas stuff, we have plenty more that I could list.

Yes we know what we have with the NCAA, an organization that has no interest or ability to protect student athletes or anyone else on campus except those counting the money.

These aren't recruiting violations, these aren't somebody getting a car or a house or a bag full of money. The NCAA can't even deal with that stuff.

What we have is billions of tax dollars going to campuses that are supposed to provide a safe and fair opportunity for all students regardless of gender, race, religion, etc. that are allowing peoples lives to be destroyed so they can protect the reputation and cash flow from their football and in some cases basketball teams.

No I'm not a big fan of the federal government and worry about what it would do to college sports. I am a lot more worried though about those young people across this country who are like my own kids and who soon be on a college campus where we assume they will have the opportunity to grow and develop, not be the targets of people who would abuse them under the cover of athletic programs.

If the NCAA and the schools don't want federal oversight then fix the problem. The have known about it for decades and have shown no inclination. In that case it's time for someone they can't manipulate to come in and do what they should have done all along.

If they can't at least make a reasonable attempt to comply with the law then their dollars should be shut off and sent to the schools that do comply with the law.
Under the guise of interstate commerce.

Who would you recommend.

Clear that the schools themselves won't do it and the conferences and NCAA have no interest.

Do we keep letting girls get raped so good ol' state U can win some more football games?
Use Civil Suit Process.

Let the victims sue for relief in fed court. Pass a law that says all TV proceeds for a year are the size of the fine and that will get lawyers on board.

And or, Consider making the conference liable for policing and enforcement with 1 years conference TV rights the fine/penalty amount.

You put a years revenue on the table and I think schools will start to police things more strongly.

Maybe the NCAA can be held liable for not enforcing its own rules. Make a requirement that they are liable for lack of enforcement.

There is a way.

Last edited:
Use Civil Suit Process.

Let the victims sue for relief in fed court. Pass a law that says all TV proceeds for a year are the size of the fine and that will get lawyers on board.

And or, Consider making the conference liable for policing and enforcement with 1 years conference TV rights the fine/penalty amount.

You put a years revenue on the table and I think schools will start to police things more strongly.

Maybe the NCAA can be held liable for not enforcing its own rules. Make a requirement that they are liable for lack of enforcement.

There is a way.
Sure there are ways. I'm also not a big fan of federal regulation but I'm also not a big fan of lawyers making law in court cases.

The feds have jurisdiction now based on the schools receiving federal funding. The schools don't have to submit to oversight, that would also mean that they are not eligible for federal research dollars, student grants, federally guaranteed student loans, etc.

I guarantee that the first time a school loses eligibility for the federal student loan program for a year they will all pay attention.

Beyond that that same oversight office turns any evidence of criminal behavior over to the local authorities but their information can also be subpoenaed by attorneys representing individuals or groups of victims.

Sure there are ways. I'm also not a big fan of federal regulation but I'm also not a big fan of lawyers making law in court cases.

The feds have jurisdiction now based on the schools receiving federal funding. The schools don't have to submit to oversight, that would also mean that they are not eligible for federal research dollars, student grants, federally guaranteed student loans, etc.

I guarantee that the first time a school loses eligibility for the federal student loan program for a year they will all pay attention.

Beyond that that same oversight office turns any evidence of criminal behavior over to the local authorities but their information can also be subpoenaed by attorneys representing individuals or groups of victims.
of course youre not.

the threat of liability does weird things for compliance, no?

as for your war as long the local guys are all hand picked alums (SEC) everything will be fine.

of course youre not.

the threat of liability does weird things for compliance, no?

as for your war as long the local guys are all hand picked alums (SEC) everything will be fine.
You still wouldn't be taking away the threat of liability. Victims would still have the option to sue and evidence gained by a federal investigator provided a sound basis upon which to sue.

Threat of liability can be very effective but the last thing I want is another area where the law is being made in a courtroom, not by elected officials or administrative officials.

I'm not interesting in making the Frank Azars and his type richer.

You still wouldn't be taking away the threat of liability. Victims would still have the option to sue and evidence gained by a federal investigator provided a sound basis upon which to sue.

Threat of liability can be very effective but the last thing I want is another area where the law is being made in a courtroom, not by elected officials or administrative officials.

I'm not interesting in making the Frank Azars and his type richer.
Courts are not subject to lobbyists. Legislators dont work for us anymore and havent in a long time. thus, i dont mind them making stuff up. Which is why companies settle so quickly.

Courts are not subject to lobbyists. Legislators dont work for us anymore and havent in a long time. thus, i dont mind them making stuff up. Which is why companies settle so quickly.
Lawyers work for who pays them, juries are often manipulated and represent the worst of their community.

I'd rather have a more planned and consistent approach.

Let the litigation happen based on established standards not make it up as they go.

Back