What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Lappe coaching for her job at this point?

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
I ask because I don't know the answer, but saw the write-ups on the Wyoming loss.

I know the team has dealt with some really bad injury luck with Arielle forward and at times has shown glimpses when healthy - but looking at last season and this one so far the trajectory is not good. Is her job in danger or do the injuries mitigate that a little?

Injuries are an issue, and the team has no depth.

Having said that, I think Lappe is done.

Injuries are an issue, and the team has no depth.

Having said that, I think Lappe is done.
^^^This^^^

A coach can't control injuries, but the seemingly continuous depth issues and predominantly poor results on the court shouldn't be happening in a coach's 6th season. I like Linda a lot, enjoyed watching her as a player, and appreciate her dedication to CU. However, given RG's coaching moves so far, I don't see how she survives into another season without a dramatic turnaround this season.

I was not feeling this way until recently. I thought she had done a good job her first few years, getting ranked and cleaning up in non-con. And performing better than KMM with the same players. But since then it's been steadily down, and it appears more and more that those teams were saved by the dynamic presence of Chucky. This is a great freshman class, and Jamee Swan is a beast, and the fact that it's not all coming together makes me want to point fingers at the coaching staff. Add that to the sudden surge from the likes of ASU and OSU who were basically nobodies a few years ago... I grew up on this team in the 90s, I'd love to see them back on that pinnacle. I don't know who else is out there that can improve us, but I'm thinking it's getting time to find out.

Lappe has done reasonably well on the recruiting trail I think, but the results are not coming on the court.

I think it is approaching a crossroads for her. I would not be surprised to see RG make a change at the end of the season. Although he will have to overrule Ceal to do it.

I think she has one more season. What has really hurt this team is the departure of Arielle Roberson. Jamie Swan is the only senior on the team and they lack a significant second scorer. Roberson would have provided senior leadership and a very good scoring threat on the front line, which would have allowed the freshmen guards to develop better.
This is a team made up of 1 senior, 4 juniors, one of which is not a contributor, another is tall but only a 3pt bomber. Right now, the junior that really needs to step up and assert herself is Haley Smith. Smith needs to step her game and become the outside threat to the inside threat of Swan.

Next year with more upperclassmen will be the test for Lappe. She needs to get rid of a couple of dead weight players and bring some more talent across the board. Also, the transfer Freeman will be eligible to play and should be a key contributor as well as Burich who is redshirting.

Heard through the grapevine she's got about zero job security at this point.

About 10 years ago I was having a conversation about the women's basketball program with my wife. I said something to the effect, "is CU academically a less desirable school than UConn, Tennessee or Baylor? Are Storrs, CT, Knoxville, TN or Waco TX more attractive places to live than Boulder? (Boulder is most likely more expensive than these three.) So why isn't CU year in and year out one of the best women's basketball teams in the country?" Now I believe this even more due to the new practice facilities.

Fans, students, players, etc., should not accept mediocre results from this program.*

I'm not going to respond directly on Linda. I had the pleasure of seeing her play her senior year in HS, and obviously all through her college career. She is one of my all-time favorite Buffs.

*This goes fer all the the other women's teams (soccer, volleyball and lacrosse) as well.

I was not feeling this way until recently. I thought she had done a good job her first few years, getting ranked and cleaning up in non-con. And performing better than KMM with the same players. But since then it's been steadily down, and it appears more and more that those teams were saved by the dynamic presence of Chucky. This is a great freshman class, and Jamee Swan is a beast, and the fact that it's not all coming together makes me want to point fingers at the coaching staff. Add that to the sudden surge from the likes of ASU and OSU who were basically nobodies a few years ago... I grew up on this team in the 90s, I'd love to see them back on that pinnacle. I don't know who else is out there that can improve us, but I'm thinking it's getting time to find out.

I recall those 90's teams I knew Jenny Circle and Alexis Felts growing up in the bay area.

Heard through the grapevine she's got about zero job security at this point.

I hope this is true.

Lappe has not recruited well, or the recruits that were highly ranked don't turn in to good college players. Would love to know the reason Arielle chose to leave, but never will.

Lappe only had successful teams using KMM's recruits. She knew how to get the best out of them and that gave me a lot of hope. However, the players Lappe and her staff have recruited have not performed well. I am not at all impressed with the incoming class. Where is the much needed post player?

About 10 years ago I was having a conversation about the women's basketball program with my wife. I said something to the effect, "is CU academically a less desirable school than UConn, Tennessee or Baylor? Are Storrs, CT, Knoxville, TN or Waco TX more attractive places to live than Boulder? (Boulder is most likely more expensive than these three.) So why isn't CU year in and year out one of the best women's basketball teams in the country?" Now I believe this even more due to the new practice facilities.

Fans, students, players, etc., should not accept mediocre results from this program.*

I'm not going to respond directly on Linda. I had the pleasure of seeing her play her senior year in HS, and obviously all through her college career. She is one of my all-time favorite Buffs.

*This goes fer all the the other women's teams (soccer, volleyball and lacrosse) as well.

I understand what you're saying, and I definitely respect yours and select others' opinion on women's sports more than mine. But, don't you think you're overselling CU in a bit in your mind, and also not giving enough credit to the competitive spirit in teenage athletes? If you're a star teenage athlete, and the legend Geno comes calling, don't you listen? Who cares about the town of Storrs...it's the opportunity to play for Geno. Historic programs like NW lacrosse, Nebraska volleyball, UNC soccer, etc. will understandably get their quality athletes.

I was a Buff fan growing up, and will be to the grave. I am proud to be an alum. However, as solid as our academics are, we're not Ivy League, Stanford, ND, Duke, etc. In terms of public schools, I would say that many schools are better, if not at least on par, with CU that also have great athletic programs. North Carolina, Washington, Michigan, Florida, Texas, UCLA - all are well respected and offer pretty nice campus lives (Ann Arbor MAYBE not...never been there).

I agree, mediocrity should not be expected from any of our programs, and since money hasn't convoluted the decision making process in women's sports like some of our men's, I can see your point about CU women's programs being able to recruit better and rise to the top quicker. However, I think we fans can put CU and Boulder on an unwarranted pedestal at times.

The first step is obviously to get the right coach that can elevate play regardless of the talent, and who is also capable of recruiting talent over the current roster. I still hope Linda can do this...I really like her. But, if let go, I don't think she can complain she wasn't given a fair shot.

That was the first time in a long time I've written Nebraska in a post of mine... ... ...awesome. Great job mods - **** Nebraska!

Boulder is way better than Storrs, CT. But if you are a woman's BB player then we are minor leagues. .

Last edited:
Year 6 and we're a bottom tier Pac squad and have been for a while now. I don't get the impression that the program is headed anywhere. Time for a change if this year plays out to the same tune as it has started.

If you're a star teenage athlete, and the legend Geno comes calling, don't you listen? Who cares about the town of Storrs...it's the opportunity to play for Geno.

The point I was attempting to make is that it is the coach that makes the difference in these cases (UConn, etc.) not the school or town. I am not at all saying CU is on a par with Stanford or the Ivy's. My point is that if a coach can build a great program in Storrs than the right coach could so something special in Boulder.

And I do feel that with female athletes there is a bit more attention paid to the academic piece as well as the community. CU should not be hard to sell and if you add on the practice facility for basketball then the athletic piece of the sale gets easier as well.

The point I was attempting to make is that it is the coach that makes the difference in these cases (UConn, etc.) not the school or town. I am not at all saying CU is on a par with Stanford or the Ivy's. My point is that if a coach can build a great program in Storrs than the right coach could so something special in Boulder.

And I do feel that with female athletes there is a bit more attention paid to the academic piece as well as the community. CU should not be hard to sell and if you add on the practice facility for basketball then the athletic piece of the sale gets easier as well.

Agreed I don't think we are talking about challenging those schools i assumed it was hyperbole but there is no reason we shouldn't be able to be more competitive than we have been in women's basketball. Even is we are talking about getting to .500 in conference, a decent OCC record and a couple upsets a year. I know it is a pipe dream but if they could do something to improve that product and increase revenues it would help immensely WBB is the biggest drain on our athletics budget by a long shot.

UCONN draes a big crowd. CU not so much. Might change if we won a lot. But that's not our peers.

If we are not improving, be done.

Agreed I don't think we are talking about challenging those schools i assumed it was hyperbole but there is no reason we shouldn't be able to be more competitive than we have been in women's basketball.

Actually, I am saying the goal should be to challenge the Baylors, etc. It won't happen quickly, but there is absolutely no reason CU can't be a top tier women's basketball program. It will take having the right coaches and support from the AD with a belief that the program can become elite.

We used to be a good women's basketball program and we can be again, but not with Lappe as the head coach.

I've been to several games at Coors in the glory days that were sell outs. There were no women's season tickets until, I think, the 92-93 season (might be 93-94). Until then you could buy coupon books, but it was general admission seating. As CU got better, people were lining up when the doors opened and rushing for seats. Then there was the problem of saving seats. It got to be too much and CU finally started selling season tickets to women's basketball.

Good crowds back in those days, but waned in the last years of Ceal's tenure and have never come back. Have to put a winning team on the court if it ever will again. KMM cost CU season ticket holders and now Lappe is.

I believe that CU could draw a few thousand paid on average for both WBB and WVB. It would change the economic dynamic considerably.

Lappe has earned one down year. I think she should be back unless conference play is abysmal.

Lappe has earned one down year. I think she should be back unless conference play is abysmal.

Didn't she get that last year when they went 15-17 and missed the post-season?

Better results than KMM, but not exactly good.

I believe that CU could draw a few thousand paid on average for both WBB and WVB. It would change the economic dynamic considerably.

If CU were ranked in the top 20 they could average 4K to 5K for conference home games.

Didn't she get that last year when they went 15-17 and missed the post-season?

Better results than KMM, but not exactly good.

that is why i posted this thread - is she coachign for her job after a bad season last year, does she get one more if they can show some promise? can she win more than a handful of pac-12 games? Can we avoid wyo debacles?

The bar for CU WBB is far far higher than it is for Mens hoops.

WBB revenue from season tickets is $173,000. That doesn't cover expenses, obviously. Any extra revenue they could make would help but would be a drop in the $70,000,000 bucket.

WBB revenue from season tickets is $173,000. That doesn't cover expenses, obviously. Any extra revenue they could make would help but would be a drop in the $70,000,000 bucket.

WBB is going to lose money. I think this is a case where investment that leads to a better product leads to less of a loss. VB is the same thing. Figure in concessions to your numbers. Important thing here is to get more people into the Keg for these games.

Something that's outside their control, though, which further emphasizes how much football determines the health of the entire athletic department is that right now our priority points are almost meaningless since we're not concerned about bowl tix. But if football's winning a lot more people buy season tix for other sports simply to manipulate their points standing.

Back