What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is mac the man?

IMO Mac has made 2 major tactical errors that may be his undoing.

1) Not hiring a P5 level staff from the beginning. He recognized 2 years in that Baer was not cut out for this and upgraded in a major way. Problem is, the rest of the staff now looks even weaker by comparison with Leavitt in the room. Neinas, Jeffcoat, Bernardi, Lindgren - are any of these guys legit P5 coaches? Mac may be learning this lesson too late.

2) Recruiting had been a failure. The emphasis on getting lightly recruited guys with some athleticism and the frames to potentially develop into solid players as juniors and seniors was a misfire IMO. When it takes guys until they are seniors or redshirt juniors before they can contribute, you end up with no depth. When a starter gets hurt (as we've seen) the guys behind him are just not ready to play. I'd rather see younger players with some talent coming off the bench than kids who are just non-competetive and get pushed around. This strategy makes the next coach's job that much harder too because he won't inherit much talent. Look at Cal - Sonny actually had some talent on the team he inherited so was able to turn it around sooner. You can't win without talent at this level.

I like Mac, I wanted him to succeed, but I think he's learning some really difficult lessons about how different coaching in the Pac 12 is compared to the WAC. These lessons will serve him well in the future, but may ultimately cost him this job.

The conversation about CU firing MM should end (and begin) with whether or not they are willing to do what it takes to bring a clear improvement in as a replacement, IMO. I have been a pretty vocal skeptic (although I only post occasionally) here for almost 10 years, and I have seen CU and CU fans talk themselves into a bit of a bargain-basement hire two (if not three) times in a row. Hawkins was -- at the time -- a good hire, given the available information, so perhaps it's fair to say only twice in a row; Embree was hired because of misplaced sentiment, but IMO MM was a downright mediocre hire. He has one winning season under his belt. He had a career losing record before he came to CU. How many small-conference coaches get promoted to a power conference with a losing career record? Pretty much none, last time I checked. Accordingly, no one should really be surprised that this hasn't worked out so far. CU football, being garbage for 10 years, needs to make a big splash with our next hire. For the love of god, don't pull someone with a losing record in three years as a HC from a third-tier conference...

2) Recruiting had been a failure. The emphasis on getting lightly recruited guys with some athleticism and the frames to potentially develop into solid players as juniors and seniors was a misfire IMO.
He doesn't "emphasize" taking lightly recruited guys. It seems like you and others think he should've just come in and started signing stars. That was just not realistic.

I do agree he has to recruit better and I do agree he needs coaches who can recruit better, as Leavitt is showing. I just disagree that he is emphasizing taking lightly recruited guys. I'm not trying to defend the guy. My concern is his and his staff's ability to coach. I also think it's fair to criticize his recruiting. I just don't agree that he doesn't recruit stars on purpose.

Last edited:
It takes a lot of pieces to have a good program; players, coaches, facilities, ad, admin, fanbase...
We keep changing coaches and it doesn't seem to help. Maybe that's not where the problem is?

It takes a lot of pieces to have a good program; players, coaches, facilities, ad, admin, fanbase...
We keep changing coaches and it doesn't seem to help. Maybe that's not where the problem is?
Don't blame me.

He doesn't "emphasize" taking lightly recruited guys? It seems like you and others think he should've just come in and started signing stars. That was just not realistic.

I do agree he has to recruit better and I do agree he needs coaches who can recruit better, as Leavitt is showing. I just disagree that he is emphasizing taking lightly recruited guys. I'm not trying to defend the guy. My concern is his and his staff's ability to coach. I also think it's fair to criticize his recruiting. I just don't agree that he doesn't recruit stars on purpose.
You read the rest of the sentence you quoted, right? Because that's the most important part.

To me it's clear that Mac had decided he and his staff aren't going to be successful going head to head with Pac 12 schools for recruits, so rather than trying to win recruiting battles they are looking for the overlooked kids who might have the frame and athleticism to grow into a Pac 12 player after a few years of development. I just don't believe in that model and the recruiting bump we've seen in Florida after upgrading the staff only reinforces that belief for me.

Count your blessings: MM isn't drunk during games.

Apparently Steve sarkisian was drunk during the SC/ASU game...and they still blew them out.

Last edited:
The conversation about CU firing MM should end (and begin) with whether or not they are willing to do what it takes to bring a clear improvement in as a replacement, IMO.
Do you not think this is forefront in RG's mind? I trust him to make the right decision...he's the only one I trust right now with the program.

I want to believe Mac is the man, but something needs to be done with his assistants. I'm holding off on calling for his head until more conference games are played against teams at the middle and lower spectrum of the conference. I did not expect wins against Oregon and Arizona State because even if they are not playing like the world beaters people expected them to, we still are not to their level yet. Let's face it, those have been established teams for years that some predicted to meet in the Conference championship game, and we are still recovering from a bare cupboard. Last year the issue was defense and Mac made the change he needed to make. Now it looks like the O - Coordinator took stupid pills in the offseason and the offense is now the issue. Who knows, Sefo's shoulder may be worse than he is letting on and needs to sit a game or two. We still have 7 games to play and while it has not been pretty there are still a lot of chances for this team to make the proper adjustments to put themselves in a position to win.

Frankly I think that the discussion is _again_ centered around whether or not we will achieve the milestone of getting "a" (singular) win in conference play, for the third year in a row, is pathetic, and is microcosmic the larger problem. I don't care how bad the team was when you got here: three years is enough time that it shouldn't be a push proposition -- at absolute best -- whether or not the team gets a conference win. That's not good enough.

How about promoting our DC to HC?
Levitt is more qualified to fix this train wreck than 90% of college coaches. What he has done in the past is impressive. I think his hire was a very strategic move by th AD as a quick back up plan if MM doesn't right the ship.

Levitt is more qualified to fix this train wreck than 90% of college coaches. What he has done in the past is impressive. I think his hire was a very strategic move by th AD as a quick back up plan if MM doesn't right the ship.

AD didn't choose Leavitt. MM did. Give credit where it is due. Just so happens that Leavitt is a solid candidate in his own right, not part of some master plan from RG.

0.jpg

AD didn't choose Leavitt. MM did. Give credit where it is due. Just so happens that Leavitt is a solid candidate in his own right, not part of some master plan from RG.
That's why it's so strategic, the AD hired MM to hire JL before RG was AD, see?

Back