What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Scout trying to make a comeback?

culver's cheese curds

homer_simpson_drooling.gif

I'm skeptical about how successful Scout can be. The subscription recruiting website market seems over-saturated already.

Considering this plus technology today i'm not sure how sustainable these website's business models are in general. With social media, blogs, websites such as this, and traditional media sources information today is more accessible and more of a public good than ever before and thus there is less and less incentive to pay for it. Free riding problem.

I'm skeptical about how successful Scout can be. The subscription recruiting website market seems over-saturated already.

Considering this plus technology today i'm not sure how sustainable these website's business models are in general. With social media, blogs, websites such as this, and traditional media sources information today is more accessible and more of a public good than ever before and thus there is less and less incentive to pay for it. Free riding problem.

It's definitely a market with an uncertain future. They used to be able to print money with ad rates. Those aren't there any more, so it's about subscriptions. But they all know that the subscriptions are only around until the day ESPN decides it wants to make a real commitment to recruiting and dominate the market. Once that happens, Rivals/Scout/247sports are going to be like toys.com trying to compete against walmart going online.

I started posting on CU message boards on Scout in November 2005. That might come as a surprise to some, maybe not others. I'm sure the old posters know why that time was key in the influx of message board activity. Then on to Rivals, Buffscoop, etc. I've dropped all subs now and am only here.

They're all basically the same. And over the long haul you're likely talking to the same posters without really knowing. Is Rivals worth the same value as a Netflix subscription? Hard to justify the price points these days.

I started posting on CU message boards on Scout in November 2005. That might come as a surprise to some, maybe not others. I'm sure the old posters know why that time was key in the influx of message board activity. Then on to Rivals, Buffscoop, etc. I've dropped all subs now and am only here.

They're all basically the same. And over the long haul you're likely talking to the same posters without really knowing. Is Rivals worth the same value as a Netflix subscription? Hard to justify the price points these days.
With the amount of content and the team that Adam has put together you could very easily argue yes on the bolded

With the amount of content and the team that Adam has put together you could very easily argue yes on the bolded

From a time spent on site perspective, I think Rivals has a legit claim to be on par with a Netflix. But Rivals caters to a niche that can cut fairly deep and narrow. For example, I somewhat care about recruiting info, but I do not need numerous articles per month about HS recruits who may be interested in CU. Most Rivals subscribers are the same, they would prefer inside scoop and a watering hole to talk to other fans. Scoop is rare and I think you have a large % settling for an imperfect system that is dressed up with recruiting coverage that only a small % truly value.

Back