What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is tailgating going away as a part of football games?

Future of football tailgating?

• Tailgating will eventually go away

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Tailgating will always have a place, but will be reduced

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Things will stay about like they are - it's part of the fabric of football

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • We'll see a tailgating revival

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
We've all experienced more restrictive rules in recent years. Smaller areas to tailgate, more police supervision, open container rules, keep off the grass rules, elimination of post-game tailgating, etc.

The Superbowl this year isn't allowing any tailgating at all.

CU, with the fantastic facilities plan, is likely to monetize the IPF asset with restaurants and beer garden - moving people into the facility to spend money instead of having them eat and drink what they brought from home.

Are we on the path toward an elimination of the tailgating scene around football games to see it replaced by hosted event tents and pre-game socializing inside designated facilities?

I think so - not in all instances where tailgating is a time honored tradition, but i think most schools are going to push to do away with it.

If CU was smart they would encourage it, bring the family to the game, tailgate before, enjoy the campus and be a part of CU football.

CU is not smart.

CU has a unique set-up for tailgating. Instead of one or two large parking lots, they have a dozen or so smaller lots all spread out across the campus. This allows people to access the campus from different access points, which helps with the flow of traffic into and out of the area. It also encourages different styles of tailgating in each lot. Our lot, for instance, is filled with serious tailgaters. People who spend a lot of money on their tailgating rigs. The Gold Lot (Franklin) is filled with well heeled fans who aren't necessarily interested in a great tailgate. Sandwiches from Salvaggios and a bag of potato chips works just fine for most of those folks. Each lot has it's own personality, which is a very good thing. That is part of what makes the CU tailgating experience unique. I'm biased, but I believe tailgating plays an integral role in the gameday experience, particularly at CU.

IF this is the case, CU as usual, in thinking they're being "cutting edge" is cutting off their nose to spite their face. Every great (and ****ty) college football environment I've been at has a tailgating scene that feeds into the excitement of the game. Take it away, and you end up with only the "well heeled" fans (and more of them) going to the games because they are the only ones who can afford the beer gardens and the prices at the stadium restaurants. It would totally kill any sort of remaining pre-game positive CU had.

There is nothing better than the smell of meat on the grill, beer in hand, clear blue sky, a view of the Flatirons, scantily clad co-eds (there's the dirty old DBT coming out) and silver and gold all around to get one excited about CU football and reminiscent of what may be no matter how ****ty we've been. Hell, at this point the last 4 years, I look more forward to the tailgates than watching the game itself. Looking forward to having some pre-game hope this year...along with the tailgate.

CU tailgating goes away, oof...

Tailgating is as big a part of football as the game. You have places like Tennessee who have as many people tailgating outside the stadium, during the game, as people inside the stadium. I really hope CU isn't pushing towards this.

Tailgating is as big a part of football as the game. You have places like Tennessee who have as many people tailgating outside the stadium, during the game, as people inside the stadium. I really hope CU isn't pushing towards this.

I don't believe that is CU's intention at all.

However, I do believe that the NFL is moving hard in that direction.

That I could see. For whatever reason, I've never equated tailgating with the NFL. Has always lived as an integral part of college football in my mind.

The gameday experience is probably the least lucrative for professional and large college programs or at least have the smallest marginal benefit for every pro tailgating decision. I doubt more money from concessions is a real concern versus the public black eye drunk fans can create and the security and logistics cost of hosting a bunch of people grilling and drinking in the parking lot.

Look at how stupid things got when the dodgers and giants fans were killing each other over the last two years.

Last edited:
Its tough to say about CU and Boulder where it seems adults will never be treated as adults,but elsewhere people would riot if tailgating was taken away.This is a thread Bama Charlie would probably have some good nuggets to add.

CU seems to follow the business, cutthroat, squeeze every nickel model of the NFL. My guess is they will build new revenue generators and make the average fan even more miserable. One of the things I loved about going to games at CU was it was a very laid back family friendly atmosphere. Sure, you had some drunks and idots, but by and large, you bought a ticket, found your seat and had a good time. Now it is pat down by some WalMart greeter reject, rules upon rules upon rules about what you can bring in, where you can tailgate, how you can act, all the while upping the ante on everything from ticket prices to concessions. I fully get they need revenue to stay in the game but I feel more and more like they could care less about fan experience as long as they are squeezing the pocketbook. One of my kids simply has no desire to go anymore. I quit the NFL years ago because of this mentality. I am feeling more and more like that new TV I bought was a wise investment......

We talked about this in a different thread, but I believe there isn't too much tailgating at the SB to begin with. Maybe the NFL won't allow it at the SB from now on, but I doubt for the bulk of other games.

CU has a unique set-up for tailgating. Instead of one or two large parking lots, they have a dozen or so smaller lots all spread out across the campus. This allows people to access the campus from different access points, which helps with the flow of traffic into and out of the area. It also encourages different styles of tailgating in each lot. Our lot, for instance, is filled with serious tailgaters. People who spend a lot of money on their tailgating rigs. The Gold Lot (Franklin) is filled with well heeled fans who aren't necessarily interested in a great tailgate. Sandwiches from Salvaggios and a bag of potato chips works just fine for most of those folks. Each lot has it's own personality, which is a very good thing. That is part of what makes the CU tailgating experience unique. I'm biased, but I believe tailgating plays an integral role in the gameday experience, particularly at CU.
Franklin is a can of mixed nuts. You have some like me with little ones and no real tailgate partners that park and hit the bookstore or Ralphie's Coral pregame all the way to the C-Club setup with the trailer mounted smoker/grill. I have seen several multi-tent groups with satellite dishes, etc. Some of the tailgates in Franklin are pretty elaborate, fancy cocktails, crockpots, chafing dishes, fondue, etc.. Others are just beer and a grill. I am really looking forward to having the indoor practice facility. With the way RG talked we will be able to go in there and play catch and run around. It will be interesting how they work all of that out.

I don't see tailgating ending in college or the NFL, especially at places like KC, Buffalo, Chicago, and Green Bay. I think the situation with the superbowl this year is unique. I also think it will be a borderline disaster, especially with the restrictions on how to get to the game. The superbowl is becoming so exclusive, it is out of reach for most fans anyway, especially the ones inclined to tailgate and not hobnob in corporate gatherings wooing clients.

Franklin is a can of mixed nuts. You have some like me with little ones and no real tailgate partners that park and hit the bookstore or Ralphie's Coral pregame all the way to the C-Club setup with the trailer mounted smoker/grill. I have seen several multi-tent groups with satellite dishes, etc. Some of the tailgates in Franklin are pretty elaborate, fancy cocktails, crockpots, chafing dishes, fondue, etc.. Others are just beer and a grill. I am really looking forward to having the indoor practice facility. With the way RG talked we will be able to go in there and play catch and run around. It will be interesting how they work all of that out.

I don't see tailgating ending in college or the NFL, especially at places like KC, Buffalo, Chicago, and Green Bay. I think the situation with the superbowl this year is unique. I also think it will be a borderline disaster, especially with the restrictions on how to get to the game. The superbowl is becoming so exclusive, it is out of reach for most fans anyway, especially the ones inclined to tailgate and not hobnob in corporate gatherings wooing clients.
These events tend to go sponsors, suite-holders, and the like, the "general public" tickets are basically a shot-in-the-dark lottery even for the teams that get in. I know relatively affluent Ravens fans who didn't go to NOLA because they couldn't justify spending thousands upon thousands on tickets -- before airline, hotel, food, and other costs -- for essentially a 3 hours of their life. It's kind of how I feel about New Years Eve, but this is on a much larger scale.

Strange question. I don't see any reason that tailgating will disappear or even diminish in the future. It's what many fans do before a football game. :huh:

The fact that this question is being asked demonstrates how broken the football landscape is at Boulder. It should be embraced and expanded. I certainly think the police have a place, but the whole keep off the grass or were going to take your picture and fine you if your tent is 3' off the mark thing is so stupid and so not what I see at other campuses.

There have not been any changes or issues in the 10 years we have been in lot 169. I think they will monetize it where they can and should. There are a bunch of people who do not want to go thru the trouble of having or setting up a tailgate and the restaurants will be a nice way to draw them into the CU environment/experience.

Reading the current plan it is easy to see where the university is going.
Tailgating as it is will go away. Something similar will occur where the university can profit and control the risks.

Say it with me people.

Monetization

The only game where they still may occur are at neutral site games CSU games. To me personally its well worth it if this is part of the money planned to pay for facilities.

Plain and simple if i can not tailgate i will not go to CU football games until we are an 8-10 win team.

Strange question. I don't see any reason that tailgating will disappear or even diminish in the future. It's what many fans do before a football game. :huh:

Given that the biggest football game of the year just banned it, it does merit some discussion.

Given that the biggest football game of the year just banned it, it does merit some discussion.
Again, that biggest game of the year is the more corporate game of the year and probably would've had the least tailgating per capita.

PP167.jpg

If we're speaking solely about CU, I'm looking for the TAILGATING IS DEAD answer choice. Bronson Hilliard can read off a script telling me the university views gameday traditions as an important part of school culture but based on the regressive actions I've seen and read about in the last 5 years you can't tell me they see it as more of an asset than something affecting their image as some booze-crazed sliding academic school.

Sackygates are the best in the business. What CU is doing is on par with California pogrom of the Sriracha plant.

The NFL was not behind the Super Bowl decision, in fact Goodell was peeved about the publicity. I think a bigger question would be "Is game day attendance dying?"

Many schools are proud of the tailgating traditions. CU administration does not understand tailgating or having a good time so tailgating could be dead at CU.

CU administration does not understand tailgating or having a good time so tailgating could be dead at CU.

Granted Franklin isn't the best use case but I have seen RG out in Franklin glad-handing donors and generally encouraging the atmosphere. I've meet and talked to Distephano both in Franklin and in the club lounge at basketball games. They may not understand it themselves but I don't think they are looking to kill it either.

Back