What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is the CSU game "do or die" for MacIntyre?

Is the CSU game "do or die" for MacIntyre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't mind Montez getting the start against Idaho St. Y'all are right though, we absolutely can't lose to csu. That will put us in a tailspin quickly.

Actually not a bad idea. An extra week for Sefo to get rest and prepare for Michigan wouldn't be the worst thing. Same with some of our other key guys like Chido, Lindsey, Tupou, etc.

Nah, If you have a starter who's a little rusty, you play him for at least a half to get some reps and confidence.

Beating CSU is critical to the success of the season. No question.
I'd take it a step farther and say that a decisive win is pretty much necessary for the psyche of the team. If they come out and play like crap, but still win, that's going to be a difficult thing to overcome. CU needs to win by 10+ points and the game can't be as close as the score would indicate.

For me it is no. Losing the game would put a damper on the season but a good coach will have his team back up and ready to go - if the Hawaii lost carried over last year that is bad coaching, IMO. As Barnett use to say after a heartbreaking lost, "We can't let ____ beat us twice!" Also winning the game (as they should is no guarantee he will keep his job. And if CU would the lose the game there is no way they should fire the coach, that is too reactionary and not warranted. It would throw the team into turmoil and the seniors deserve better.

If we lose that one I'd have some really bad flashbacks to the loss in Boulder that'd have finished off HaLk in every respectable football program.

I said "No" because there have been plenty of teams who have had staggering early season losses and rebounded to have successful seasons. MikeMac needs to make a bowl game, and whatever path he takes as long as it nets 6 or more wins, I'm fine with.

I said "No" because there have been plenty of teams who have had staggering early season losses and rebounded to have successful seasons. MikeMac needs to make a bowl game, and whatever path he takes as long as it nets 6 or more wins, I'm fine with.

Did any of those teams have to play at Michigan, at USC, at Oregon, and at Stanford?

Technically no. The team could still turnaround and make progress over the rest of the year. However, it would make MM's seat go from lukewarm to very hot in no time. I think he can survive next year without a bowl if the team wins 5 games and recruiting stays strong, but lose to CSU and a lot of that goodwill could vanish.

For me it is no. Losing the game would put a damper on the season but a good coach will have his team back up and ready to go - if the Hawaii lost carried over last year that is bad coaching, IMO. As Barnett use to say after a heartbreaking lost, "We can't let ____ beat us twice!" Also winning the game (as they should is no guarantee he will keep his job. And if CU would the lose the game there is no way they should fire the coach, that is too reactionary and not warranted. It would throw the team into turmoil and the seniors deserve better.
BnG has it right. Should we win? Yes. Is it the end of the world if we don't? Not necessarily. What if we lose to CSU then beat ISU and Michigan? Then what? Many will say that a Michigan win is less likely with a CSU loss, but I'm not sure that's true. Every game is somewhat unique. Teams build confidence or lose confidence and that can snowball in either direction, but it doesn't always happen that way. I'm against almost all "must win game" talk. Every game, every season is different. If I am RG, then I just let it play out and react when I think it's appropriate. And after the CSU game is not appropriate.

It's not about if he will get fired after the game, which is almost 100% not happening, it's about if he will be kept after the season and I would say there is about a 99% chance he will be fired if he loses that game.

Did any of those teams have to play at Michigan, at USC, at Oregon, and at Stanford?

1986 Buffs got rolled by CSU in their home opener, and went on to lose their next three @Oregon, @Ohio State, and home against No.10 Arizona. Rebounded to end up at 6-6, including the infamous 20-10 Things Have Changed win over Nebraska. Nebraska was No. 3 when CU beat them. None of their other wins were against ranked teams. (They lost to No. 4 Oklahoma and in the Bluebonnet bowl to No. 14 **** Bailer)

That win over Nebraska changed the entire narrative of that season from huge disappointment to reason for hope, and we all know how that turned out.

If MMac has a similar season, he will be fine.

yeah, the national championship team started 1-1-1.

the barnett b12 championship team lost to fresno state.

i'll be pissed if we lose to the sheep and i'll probably meltdown and rant like everyone else, but one game isn't going to end the season.

Yeah, I hate to say it but if the lammies win the game there won't be much reason to think we will go on to play better than .500 ball and get to a bowl. It seems the consensus is bowl or bust

Among other things I don't see how a fan base a fragile as what we have become can stand another humiliating loss to the real "little brother" and another losing season.

I've had enough of first game nut punches. Still pissed about tying Tennessee and losing at home to Fresneck St. Let's just say that, since I've been following the Buffs, we have not done well in first games. Certainly this has to do with a different scheduling philosophy than most programs over the years. Of course, we should've played for the NC after the loss to Fresno, so an early loss doesn't necessarily kill a season.

Still, I voted yes because CSU is not going to be a good team this season and all of MM's retention of players (for which I give him credit) has to translate to wins, certainly in games where we are favored.

If we lose that one I'd have some really bad flashbacks to the loss in Boulder that'd have finished off HaLk in every respectable football program.
Yup. This is similar. Time to show up. HCMM would have to do some truly shocking things to save his job if he loses this one.

1986 Buffs got rolled by CSU in their home opener, and went on to lose their next three @Oregon, @Ohio State, and home against No.10 Arizona. Rebounded to end up at 6-6, including the infamous 20-10 Things Have Changed win over Nebraska. Nebraska was No. 3 when CU beat them. None of their other wins were against ranked teams. (They lost to No. 4 Oklahoma and in the Bluebonnet bowl to No. 14 **** Bailer)

That win over Nebraska changed the entire narrative of that season from huge disappointment to reason for hope, and we all know how that turned out.

If MMac has a similar season, he will be fine.

The problem with that is there are no Iowa States, Kansases, or Kansas States on the conference schedule this year. If we lose to CSU, our bowl hopes are down the drain.

Lose to csu, no chance to go to a bowl and all the momentum with facilities and recruiting goes bye bye.

MacIntyre won't lose his job directly because of a loss to CSU (unless he plays his kid at QB in the game). But lose to CSU and playing in a bowl game becomes virtually impossible. Nobody seems to know George's mind on the subject of MacIntyre's employment goals but losing to CSU leads the team and coach down a dark path.

I am assuming that MacIntyre is not at risk of losing his job unless the team becomes bowl ineligible at some point during the season.

yeah, the national championship team started 1-1-1.

the barnett b12 championship team lost to fresno state.

i'll be pissed if we lose to the sheep and i'll probably meltdown and rant like everyone else, but one game isn't going to end the season.
The difference is those teams had the confidence to bounce back from a disappointing loss. I'm not certain this team does. The psyche on this team is very fragile, IMO. They need to win a few games and win them convincingly before they will feel like they can truly play with anybody.

The problem with that is there are no Iowa States, Kansases, or Kansas States on the schedule this year. If we lose to CSU, our bowl hopes are down the drain.

You are probably right, and I voted yes to the original question, but I think that the point about teams with staggering early season losses being able to rebound is valid.

I certainly don't think that my fan status can survive a loss next week.

BnG has it right. Should we win? Yes. Is it the end of the world if we don't? Not necessarily. What if we lose to CSU then beat ISU and Michigan? Then what? Many will say that a Michigan win is less likely with a CSU loss, but I'm not sure that's true. Every game is somewhat unique. Teams build confidence or lose confidence and that can snowball in either direction, but it doesn't always happen that way. I'm against almost all "must win game" talk. Every game, every season is different. If I am RG, then I just let it play out and react when I think it's appropriate. And after the CSU game is not appropriate.
This was my exact thought process last year going into the Hawaii game. I figured we needed to be 4-0 or 3-1 in OOC last year to have a shot. I didn't care how we got there, or who we beat or lost to, as long as we were no worse than 3-1. This year, we have to be 2-1 in OOC to have a shot, IMO. Losing to CSU and beating UM would obviously turn things around and provide a huge shot of confidence going forward, but is not likely to happen.

I could see a scenario where if we lose, the team leaders use it as motivation and the rest of the season they play inspired and win 6-7.

Not do or die IMO but a very crucial game. And with all the talk of physicality and experience, coupled with what looks to be a pretty average G5 team, a loss would be inexcusable and I would probably consider joining in the "fire Mac" chants.

He wont get fired after the game if he loses. Losing to CSU means CU is going to have another 3 win season and there is no way they can keep him if that happens.

Lose to csu, no chance to go to a bowl and all the momentum with facilities and recruiting goes bye bye.
How many games do we play after CSU and how many are we required to win to qualify for a bowl game. I'm asking for a friend.

The difference is those teams had the confidence to bounce back from a disappointing loss. I'm not certain this team does. The psyche on this team is very fragile, IMO. They need to win a few games and win them convincingly before they will feel like they can truly play with anybody.

Quoting to emphasize.

And it is more than "feel they can". They have to believe it so strongly that they know it and expect to beat everyone they play. Getting there is a process. It's not always a smooth process. Actually, it's almost never linear. But I don't think that the opener is a hiccup they can afford in the process at this point. CU is, by far, the more talented and experienced team. If it loses, it will have happened for the worst possible reasons: they didn't want it as much or didn't know what it took to play winning football.

Back