What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is the Stanford run coming to an end?

Stanford has really high volatility as a program in terms of their performance. It isn't just now, that's historically been true. They will have a great run of 2-5 years, followed by 2-5 years of absolute ****, rinse, repeat.

They've never just been consistently average, or above average, or good, or bad; they are all over the place. They really do fit in with the culture of the valley: fail big or win big.

I think they're about to enter a fail big phase.

You are not kidding:

1984Jack Elway56
1985Jack Elway47
1986Jack Elway84
1987Jack Elway56
1988Jack Elway36
1989Dennis Green38
1990Dennis Green56
1991Dennis Green84
1992Bill Walsh103
1993Bill Walsh47
1994Bill Walsh37
1995Tyrone "Ty" Willingham74
1996Tyrone "Ty" Willingham75
1997Tyrone "Ty" Willingham56
1998Tyrone "Ty" Willingham38
1999Tyrone "Ty" Willingham84
2000Tyrone "Ty" Willingham56
2001Tyrone "Ty" Willingham93
2002Eugene "Buddy" Teevens29
2003Eugene "Buddy" Teevens47
2004Eugene "Buddy" Teevens47
2005Walt Harris56
2006Walt Harris111
2007Jim Harbaugh48
2008Jim Harbaugh57
2009Jim Harbaugh85
2010Jim Harbaugh121
2011David Shaw112
2012David Shaw122
2013David Shaw113

Athletics at Stanford are a novelty, not a passion. That's a fact. It's a shame, too. They have some outstanding facilities. Very fan friendly.

someone in the P12 needs to stumble besides us, and soon.
I wish someone in the South looked like they are going to stumble. I see a drop off in the north with Mariotta leaving, Stanford dropping, and the other teams not making much progress. Let's switch divisions now :lol:

It all comes down to the QB.

Yeah, Hogan sucks. I just don't understand why/how he continues to start over whatever they have on the bench. Somebody that looks comfortable throwing a forward pass would be an improvement.

I would say that you could not be more wrong. Stanford utterly dominates college athletics when taken in aggregate. I believe they won the director's cup 20 years in a row.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=209519397

And you completely missed the point. I was referring to fan support. I know the administration is supportive of their athletic department. Which is why I mentioned their great facilities. For all the admin support, it hasn't translated into a passionate fanbase. Stanford grads are too busy making gobs of money to pay any attention to their athletic programs. My B-I-L is a great example of this. He has a masters in Engineering from Stanford. He lives about 45 minutes away from Palo Alto. The only time he ever goes to a football game is when I come out and visit. I make the poor schmuck sit with the CU fans and he doesn't even care. He has absolutely zero interest in football, or athletics in general.

Yeah, Hogan sucks. I just don't understand why/how he continues to start over whatever they have on the bench. Somebody that looks comfortable throwing a forward pass would be an improvement.

The Shaw/Hogan dynamic is so weird to me.

They've been recruiting the hell out of the qb position the last few years right? That is strange somebody else hasn't got a shot.

They've been recruiting the hell out of the qb position the last few years right? That is strange somebody else hasn't got a shot.

Well they seemed really committed to redshirting Keller Chryst this year at least, who is the heir apparent. They did seem to land a 4 star QB every year, but after Hogan got the job, they slowed down a bit. Took a year off, then landed a 4 star Ryan Burns from VA before getting Chryst. So maybe they haven't had a ton of talent behind him till Chryst showed up, I don't know.

And you completely missed the point. I was referring to fan support. I know the administration is supportive of their athletic department. Which is why I mentioned their great facilities. For all the admin support, it hasn't translated into a passionate fanbase. Stanford grads are too busy making gobs of money to pay any attention to their athletic programs. My B-I-L is a great example of this. He has a masters in Engineering from Stanford. He lives about 45 minutes away from Palo Alto. The only time he ever goes to a football game is when I come out and visit. I make the poor schmuck sit with the CU fans and he doesn't even care. He has absolutely zero interest in football, or athletics in general.

Roger that. Agreed. I think the only people associated with Stanford who are interested in sports are the varsity athletes at Stanford. And that won't fill a football stadium.
Frankly, they have better things to do, like you said.

The Pac-12 CCG in Palo Alto was the saddest thing I've seen in a while.

I don't know what the particulars of Larry Scott's thinking on the long-term location of the CCG when expansion was first discussed, so I could be wrong, but I have to imagine the nail was driven into the coffin of teams hosting the Pac-12 CCG that night.

Roger that. Agreed. I think the only people associated with Stanford who are interested in sports are the varsity athletes at Stanford. And that won't fill a football stadium.
Frankly, they have better things to do, like you said.

Yeah, we say that when there's a lack of support for CU. It's a bull**** excuse when we use it too.

Context. I don't follow all of your posts, but when I see them you are typically calling someone or something ***ty. But maybe I'm wrong.
You're confusing being annoyed with angry and associating cursing with being angry, which is not always the case

Yeah, we say that when there's a lack of support for CU. It's a bull**** excuse when we use it too.

Yeah, well, I think Stanford alums and students have a legit claim on that, probably more than any other school with a legit football team. That school is not like all the others...in many ways.

The Pac-12 CCG in Palo Alto was the saddest thing I've seen in a while.

I don't know what the particulars of Larry Scott's thinking on the long-term location of the CCG when expansion was first discussed, so I could be wrong, but I have to imagine the nail was driven into the coffin of teams hosting the Pac-12 CCG that night.

I was at that game. We went and sat in arguably the best seats in the house (1st row 2nd deck 50 yd line) simply because they were empty.

However, I don't think Stanford is finished quite yet. They just need to find another stud at RB - probably got too cute recruiting Barry Jr and McCaffrey (although he's a good player)...

I was at that game. We went and sat in arguably the best seats in the house (1st row 2nd deck 50 yd line) simply because they were empty.

However, I don't think Stanford is finished quite yet. They just need to find another stud at RB - probably got too cute recruiting Barry Jr and McCaffrey (although he's a good player)...
Huh? Hogan is the bigger issue that also ties in with Shaw being extremely conservative.

Huh? Hogan is the bigger issue that also ties in with Shaw being extremely conservative.

Wrong. I've been to almost every Stanford home game for the last 3 yrs or so and Hogan did just fine with Gaffney doing all the heavy lifting. Shaw's conservative style works just fine when you're getting 4+ yds/rush on early downs and just ask a game manager like Hogan to hit a few key passes here and there. Stephan Taylor was maybe a bit better than Gaffney - more explosive. It's been a big drop-off at RB this yr. If they had either Taylor or Gaffney they would have beat USC easily.

I'm not sure they'll be winning P12 championships in the future, but they're better than they're showing this season. If that Chryst kid plays half as well as his talent says he should and Shaw grows a pair, they'll be a much better team next year.

Back