What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Its kind of hard to be to pissed off...

jjbuffs13

I am not saying that this loss was acceptable by any means (or any loss for that matter) but after a 2-10 season, I was just hoping to double our win total which we did. We are now on the verge of going to a bowl game. We have played 5 teams ranked in the top 26 with 4 of those teams in the top 10. While we only beat 1 of those teams we contended with 3 others (KU, FSU and ASU for the most part). I think that after the OU win I expected more from this team and im sure a lot of other people did to. While I still expect us to go out and kick the living **** out of ISU and NU, finishing 7-5 with a bowl game is far better than I expected at the begining of this season.

I also keep forgetting that we are playing with a RS frosh QB, 2 true frosh WR and O-lineman and substituting frosh RB's. This is not Hawkins team yet, he is still working with Barnetts players (which isnt entirely a bad thing, just look at Dizon, Walters, Wheatly, Hypolite with various others) but once we can get a class that is strictly all Hawk recruits we should be kickin ass and takin names.

With all of that said, I hope the Mizzou loss doesnt turn anyone away from supporting this team (which if you still support this team after last year, i sure as hell hope you can stand by them after a loss) because thats what we do, support this team through thick and thin. I hope that we have a sell out crowd for the NU game and I know our buffs will show up to play.

Just my thoughts, Go Buffs!!

I have 'young team' fatigue. I am finding no comfort in that old yarn.
Last season, the team never got blown out. The 2007 team looked more fit, more confident, and more hungry after camp than they did at KSU, KU, or Mizzou. Somewhere in October, the Buffs became predictable. With 10 games under their belts, there are a lot more reps and more experience, but not an incrementally better product. Somewhere in there the program's growth has been stunted. It's bugging me that MU was the biggest loss in Boulder in almost 2 decades. The defense isn't made of too many freshmen. And when the defense gives up 4 TD's, there aren't the athletes available on the offense to cover. It's not a 'freshman' thing, but a recruitment issue and a blue collar work effort issue. Winless in the North with 2 games left is not where we need to be. Why are the Buffs not able to rise to the occasion against the North?

At this point, beating both ISU and neBRAska would put CU in forth place in the North, and neither game is the slam-dunk they might have appeared fo be following the OU upset.

The coaching challenge this week is getting the players mentally prepaired to be winners, and to find a gameplan that keeps ISU's offense on the sideline.

I am not saying that this loss was acceptable by any means (or any loss for that matter) but after a 2-10 season, I was just hoping to double our win total which we did. We are now on the verge of going to a bowl game. We have played 5 teams ranked in the top 26 with 4 of those teams in the top 10. While we only beat 1 of those teams we contended with 3 others (KU, FSU and ASU for the most part). I think that after the OU win I expected more from this team and im sure a lot of other people did to. While I still expect us to go out and kick the living **** out of ISU and NU, finishing 7-5 with a bowl game is far better than I expected at the begining of this season.

I also keep forgetting that we are playing with a RS frosh QB, 2 true frosh WR and O-lineman and substituting frosh RB's. This is not Hawkins team yet, he is still working with Barnetts players (which isnt entirely a bad thing, just look at Dizon, Walters, Wheatly, Hypolite with various others) but once we can get a class that is strictly all Hawk recruits we should be kickin ass and takin names.

With all of that said, I hope the Mizzou loss doesnt turn anyone away from supporting this team (which if you still support this team after last year, i sure as hell hope you can stand by them after a loss) because thats what we do, support this team through thick and thin. I hope that we have a sell out crowd for the NU game and I know our buffs will show up to play.

Just my thoughts, Go Buffs!!

Rep for a great, positive post.

I have 'young team' fatigue. I am finding no comfort in that old yarn.
Last season, the team never got blown out. The 2007 team looked more fit, more confident, and more hungry after camp than they did at KSU, KU, or Mizzou. Somewhere in October, the Buffs became predictable. With 10 games under their belts, there are a lot more reps and more experience, but not an incrementally better product. Somewhere in there the program's growth has been stunted. It's bugging me that MU was the biggest loss in Boulder in almost 2 decades. The defense isn't made of too many freshmen. And when the defense gives up 4 TD's, there aren't the athletes available on the offense to cover. It's not a 'freshman' thing, but a recruitment issue and a blue collar work effort issue. Winless in the North with 2 games left is not where we need to be. Why are the Buffs not able to rise to the occasion against the North?

At this point, beating both ISU and neBRAska would put CU in forth place in the North, and neither game is the slam-dunk they might have appeared fo be following the OU upset.

The coaching challenge this week is getting the players mentally prepaired to be winners, and to find a gameplan that keeps ISU's offense on the sideline.

I understand that the excuse of being a young team has been thrown around quite a bit but that honestly has everything to do with problems on offense. Like you said, they have 10 games under there belt (in reality only Cody is the one with a full 10 games under him). I agree 100% that the defense against Mizzou was not the same D we saw against Tech or OU, and we played poorly yesterday, but I still say this team is making strides. Mizzou is a good team and they showed it yesterday just like they have all season.

As for the recruitment issue, look how many kids we recruited last year who are playing right now...Miller, Maivia, J Fly...the list goes on. Having them become starters has nothing to do with recruiting, it has to do with the players who were here before them dont play well. The recruiting is not a problem at all. Being winless in the North is also not how I (and many others) saw this team at the begining. However the North is good this year, they have 2 teams in the top 10. Now after last year, how can you expect to contend with that starting true freshman at skilled positions?

I am not bashing your post, I agree for the most part, I just think most of us expected to much after the OU win.

For me, it's the "good is the enemy of great" arguement.
Going from 2-10 to a minimum 5 win season is progress. But bowl eligibility is just okay, and it's still no guarantee.

Mizzou was a setback. It's the worst loss of the Hawkins tenure at CU. It was harder to take than Montana State simply because the system was brand new with MSU. Now that the bubble is up, the lockerroom has a million dollar overhaul, and Coach Hawk is 22 games further along in the development of the program, it's disappointing to suffer a bigger home loss than anything surrendered during the Barnett or Neuhiesel eras.

That said, I BELEIVE in Hawkins. His philosophy and system make sense. I trust he is agonizing over this loss and will get the lunch pales and hard hats out in prep for ISU. The Buffs won't be overlooking ISU for sure. I bet Dizon, Sprague, Charles, Wheatley and the other seniors will play out of this world on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it's the "good is the enemy of great" arguement.
Going from 2-10 to a minimum 5 win season is progress. But bowl eligibility is just okay, and it's still no guarantee.

Mizzou was a setback. It's the worst loss of the Hawkins tenure at CU. It was harder to take than Montana State simply because the system was brand new with MSU. Now that the bubble is up, the lockerroom has a million dollar overhaul, and Coach Hawk is 22 games further along in the development of the program, it's disappointing to suffer a bigger home loss than anything surrendered during the Barnett or Neuhiesel eras.

That said, I BELEIVE in Hawkins. His philosophy and system make sense. I trust he is agonizing over this loss and will get the lunch pales and hard hats out in prep for ISU. The Buffs won't be overlooking ISU for sure. I bet Dizon, Sprague, Charles, Wheatley and the other seniors will play out of this world on Saturday.

I agree the Mizzou loss was hard to swallow, but the quality of the teams we play now compared to when Barney was here has increased. I also beleive that once Hawkins gets HIS players, playing HIS system, we will be unstoppable. This team WILL be ready to play in Aimes next week, and I really do beleive that all of our players will give 100% into this game, and take all the frustration from yesterday out on ISU.

Good Post, rep for the good discussion without making bull**** arguments!

well, skiddie, a blowout is always tough to suffer, be it at home or away.

we certainly had some opposite-of-blessed embarrassing blowouts under barney, as well.

i witnessed the last two texas beatdowns: in austin, then in h-town.

it was about as delectable to swallow as a can of mashed moose buttholes.

The only tornado coming into Ames this time around will be an 18 wheeler with Colorado Buffaloes painted on the sides. Damn, I wish I could get out to that game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have full confidence in Hawkins- but there are several assistant coaches who I have lost total confidence in.

Does Darian Hagan coach? Or is he just a goodwill ambassador from the glory years. What about our wide receiver's coach? Whatever happened to fundamenal football? You know, the kind where receivers CATCH THE BALL? We have some nice receivers - who might even be pretty fast. It's a shame they all play the game like Clifford Franklin.

And what on earth has happened to the offensive playcalling? Why has it become so offensive? The direct snap DOESN'T work. The only time it has worked ALL YEAR resulted in a 7 yard gain. That just isn't that great production, given that we've run it 90+ times this year. Where is the 2-back offense with Charles/Sumler/Ellis in the game at the same time that we saw against Oklahoma? Those plays have vanished entirely. We do a lot of motion pre-snap-- of course the receiver usually stops right behind the tackle -- and we try to run right behind him. Gee-- that's inventive!

Last year we heard all year how the offense was limited because of the QB. Now I'm not so sure.

Does Darian Hagan coach? Or is he just a goodwill ambassador from the glory years.

Watch what you say about Hagan here.. Some people here believe he's a God and can do no wrong.. :wow:

The offensive coaches seem to do a little too much trickery and try to outsmart the opposition a little too much..

The offense is still a little limited.. The OL can be hot and cold at times which bogs down the rest of the offense..

I still have full confidence in Hawkins- but there are several assistant coaches who I have lost total confidence in.

Does Darian Hagan coach? Or is he just a goodwill ambassador from the glory years. What about our wide receiver's coach? Whatever happened to fundamenal football? You know, the kind where receivers CATCH THE BALL? We have some nice receivers - who might even be pretty fast. It's a shame they all play the game like Clifford Franklin.

And what on earth has happened to the offensive playcalling? Why has it become so offensive? The direct snap DOESN'T work. The only time it has worked ALL YEAR resulted in a 7 yard gain. That just isn't that great production, given that we've run it 90+ times this year. Where is the 2-back offense with Charles/Sumler/Ellis in the game at the same time that we saw against Oklahoma? Those plays have vanished entirely. We do a lot of motion pre-snap-- of course the receiver usually stops right behind the tackle -- and we try to run right behind him. Gee-- that's inventive!

Last year we heard all year how the offense was limited because of the QB. Now I'm not so sure.

:huh: Are you serious? or is this a joke?

I've had my doubts about Hagan. Especially when they made Grimes the 'Running Game Coordinator'. But what has he had to work with. Hugh Charles is very hard to figure out. He will look like an all american one game, and will completely dissapear the next game. And i hate it when he runs out of bounds rather than try for some more yards. But you have to look at the Oline also. Polumbus and Harrison haven't lived up to their potential. And we are working with two freshmen and a first year center in Sanders. It all starts up front. The other RB's in the stable are Sumler(RSFrosh) and Lockridge(TrueFrosh). I don't think anyone was expecting these guys to be All Big 12 in their first years. Moyd has the reputation of not being a practice player, so he won't be a factor because he isn't earning playing time.

The WR's situation isn't that much better either. The leading reciever is a walk on freshmen right? That speaks volumes about our recieving corps. I really think Keisau is a great coach. But i will wait for his guys to come in before i evaluate his coaching abilities. Keisau is also our best recruiter besides Hawk.

The playcalling hasn't been that bad imo. I agree with everyone here when they run the direct snap play. The koolaid drinker in me says they are setting the play up so they can call a halfback pass, but the play isn't working. Everyone on the field and in the stands know exactly whats coming everytime Cody lines up at reciever. If you watch CU in the last 2 years you should know that Hawk will change the offensive sets for every game. The offensive sets we saw last week will be completly different the next. So the Defense will always play on their heels. I like that.

Next year we should see alot of playmakers emerge for CU. Simas will probably start alongside JSmith. The Oline will be a year more experienced. Possibly a backfield of PT Gates, D Scott, R Polk, and Sumler moving to FB(just a rumor i've heard here). Things are looking up. Hawk said at his radio show that all the assistants were offered more money to move on to another program. But they all turned down more money to stay in Boulder and work at making this program great again. You have to respect that.

Go Buffs!
Valdezj A.K.A. Sunshine Pumper #1:smile2::thumbsup:

Last edited:
It seems to me many wanted the last OC's head as well. I believe "Shortbus" is the term thrown around here. I think the knock against him was "too conservative" and "lacks imagination".

This thread has re-enforced my feelings that if there are two jobs I wouldn't apply for in this country it would be Prez or Offensive Coordinator for a football team.

Does Darian Hagan coach? Or is he just a goodwill ambassador from the glory years.

I've had my doubts about Hagan. Especially when they made Grimes the 'Running Game Coordinator'. But what has he had to work with. Hugh Charles is very hard to figure out. He will look like an all american one game, and will completely dissapear the next game. And i hate it when he runs out of bounds rather than try for some more yards. But you have to look at the Oline also. Polumbus and Harrison haven't lived up to their potential. And we are working with two freshmen and a first year center in Sanders. It all starts up front. The other RB's in the stable are Sumler(RSFrosh) and Lockridge(TrueFrosh). I don't think anyone was expecting these guys to be All Big 12 in their first years. Moyd has the reputation of not being a practice player, so he won't be a factor because he isn't earning playing time.
I hear both you guys.

I've had my doubts about Hagan as well and I know that's tricky because of who he is to our program, his accomplishments on the field and the love and respect buff fans have for him.

I know he's a good man, I've met him personally, but sometimes I get the feeling he's on the coaching staff more because of his status with Buff football than with what he brings to the table as a coach and recruiter. It's as if we just want to be able to say "Darian Hagan, the winningest QB in Buff football is on our staff" and not because he's a lights out coach or recruiter. As a comparison, look at Bienemy. Who would you rather have on the staff coaching our RBs? IMHO Bienemy was a better coach the first day he started coaching than Hagan is now after 4 years. If Bienemy was on our staff now it would be because he is a bad ass coach and recruiter and the fact that he was a great buff would be just a big bonus.

After I get all pissed thinking about that I realize that there's something else going on that's not really fair. I noticed that I have an expectation that Hagan will be as good a coach as he was a player and that anything short of that is a disappointment. Considering the kind of player Hagan was that's some pretty high and, honestly, pretty unfair expectations. I do feel his coaching has improved and I bet, knowing the kind of guy Hawk is, that he's mentoring Hagan and trying to get him to become the coach we all want him to be. I hope Hagan pulls it off. At the end of the day I trust Hawk that if one of his coaches cannot deliver the goods to his players that he will take care of the situation and get the right person on the staff.

Back