What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

It's this kind of stuff that makes me like MacIntyre

Somebody on I think it was ralphie report compiled successive classes by Rivals ratings, trying to argue in MM's favor. However, these classes were improving at a 0.05 Rivals clip per year. I'm all for incremental improvement, but that's a really small increment. Recruiting is to a great degree self-fulfilling: some schools will always recruit just because of who they are, others because of a recognized coach, but for the most part, great players want to play with other great players to reach high goals. We are in the latter group, and after seeing a 3rd class come together, you really have to question whether we're ever gonna get there with this coach.

That's hard to argue. I personally think that MM's biggest "recruiting" success has been in FINALLY being able to retain players and create some semblance of continuation. Programs win with recruiting classes ranked equal to ours, but they are able to do it with mature, Senior and Junior laden squads. I think he was able change the constant attrition issue entirely due to the attitude and outlook discussed in this thread. The weight of this change in culture cannot be underestimated IMO.

This is the first time in, what, a decade? That we have seen a few recruiting classes remain mostly in tact and be in a position to represent a mature team, senior led team. All too often we have been relying on freshman to come in and fill a hole of need....that does not work in P5 football with middle of the road recruits/recruiting classes.

MM needs to improve, and I think he has shown the propensity to make the decisions necessary to improve. But I do believe he has set up a foundation for the first time since Barnett was here, that will allow all of the hard work to translate into wins.

It also requires those upper class-men to develop the expectations in practice and conduct around the program. That will also help recruiting eventually.

Somebody on I think it was ralphie report compiled successive classes by Rivals ratings, trying to argue in MM's favor. However, these classes were improving at a 0.05 Rivals clip per year. I'm all for incremental improvement, but that's a really small increment. Recruiting is to a great degree self-fulfilling: some schools will always recruit just because of who they are, others because of a recognized coach, but for the most part, great players want to play with other great players to reach high goals. We are in the latter group, and after seeing a 3rd class come together, you really have to question whether we're ever gonna get there with this coach.

TZISKIN blog LINK

That's hard to argue. I personally think that MM's biggest "recruiting" success has been in FINALLY being able to retain players and create some semblance of continuation. Programs win with recruiting classes ranked equal to ours, but they are able to do it with mature, Senior and Junior laden squads. I think he was able change the constant attrition issue entirely due to the attitude and outlook discussed in this thread. The weight of this change in culture cannot be underestimated IMO.

This is the first time in, what, a decade? That we have seen a few recruiting classes remain mostly in tact and be in a position to represent a mature team, senior led team. All too often we have been relying on freshman to come in and fill a hole of need....that does not work in P5 football with middle of the road recruits/recruiting classes.

MM needs to improve, and I think he has shown the propensity to make the decisions necessary to improve. But I do believe he has set up a foundation for the first time since Barnett was here, that will allow all of the hard work to translate into wins.
I have been very critical of MM, but I will give credit when its due. MM has done a great job in retaining players and curbing the atrophy that plagued us the last 12 years.

We need a Football Coach, not a Guidance Counselor
I believe the difference between good and great is understanding how to motivate star players. 1/3 to 1/2 of what I do when wearing a coach hat is within the realm of guidance counselor.

It's clear to me that MacIntyre recognizes that the most viable way to counter teams with better athletes is through psychology.

The themes of trust and belief are essential to MM's strategy to win games.

You can't coach speed and you can't coach size and you can't coach maturity that isn't there. But you can coach motivation.

The downside of trying to get a 3.5 star performance out of 2.5 star athletes is injuries. I think we're seeing some kids giving 100% for Mac and getting dinged up in the process.

What's your record?
Every coach has their own style. I am an assistant for an HC that doesn't cuss, doesn't drink, doesn't try to recruit (high school), and cares about academics first, and our team is a perennial 5A power. On the flip side, we play against coaches that are much more old school in berating to their players, cussing left and right, will recruit their balls off to bring in talent, accept kids who have been kicked out of neighboring high schools, and generally aren't concerned with the welfare of their players. Some of those coaches are just as successful.

Coaching isn't a give and take thing in that regard. A coach doesn't have to give up part of his coaching ability to be a "father figure" or take on a "guidance counselor" role and vice versa. If a coach can coach, than the other stuff doesn't matter. At that point, it becomes a personal preference on which type of man you want to play for and who can motivate you to become the best player you can be.

Are you from Gary? My mom grew up there. My grandfather worked in the steel mills.
To go on, some kids clam up if you're aggressive. Others only turn it on when their pissed. Saban can afford to pass by a four star, because his back up is as talented, or damn close. MM needs to figure out how to maximize output for each of his players. I make a spread sheet at the start or every season with my goals for every player. Each week the staff visits it and updates it on how they will teach what we need to bring out in the coming week. Some boys need a mom, some need a dad, and some need a kick in the ass. Some we never figure out. Knowing your system is half the battle. Teaching it to diverse kids is the hard part in my opinion.

Are you from Gary? My mom grew up there. My grandfather worked in the steel mills.
To go on, some kids clam up if you're aggressive. Others only turn it on when their pissed. Saban can afford to pass by a four star, because his back up is as talented, or damn close. MM needs to figure out how to maximize output for each of his players. I make a spread sheet at the start or every season with my goals for every player. Each week the staff visits it and updates it on how they will teach what we need to bring out in the coming week. Some boys need a mom, some need a dad, and some need a kick in the ass. Some we never figure out. Knowing your system is half the battle. Teaching it to diverse kids is the hard part in my opinion.

Michael? Is that you?

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on coaching. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the kids.

I have been very critical of MM, but I will give credit when its due. MM has done a great job in retaining players and curbing the atrophy that plagued us the last 12 years.

And I guess where I'm at is based on that. He has stabilized things within the program and almost finished the job of balancing out the depth chart by class. That chart will never be perfect, but it's close to being representative again of what it should look like and it really hadn't been there since before the last couple years under GB.

All that's great and I think it does represent what McCartney has been preaching for years about needing to build a strong foundation. Lots of credit to RG on that note with how we've got 1st class facilities now, have solid academic support, have hired a nutritionist and are doing advanced testing. From the MM side, the foundational thing is that CU sports only seems to be successful when it's a true family feeling among the coaches and players. With so many of the guys coming here from elsewhere and being dropped into a Boulder culture that is very different from home, the team has to be tight because they're kind of alone together. When that dynamic is working, it gives CU an advantage over programs like UCLA where players can go home and hang out with their friends from the neighborhood any day they choose to do so. When it's not working -- either because of divisions in the locker room or poor leadership taking the values of that family in the wrong direction -- then CU is going to suck. MM has gone a long way to fixing that dynamic.

At this point, I think he and the program need some sort of signature win. Pretty much every game left on the schedule other than Wazzu would qualify (unless Utah falls apart between now and the final week). Something to tell casual fans, our casual state media followers and recruits that this is a program on the rise. Something that gives the team confidence to build upon.

And then we need to see a bump in recruiting. A guy like Dymond Lee. Flipping one or more of those visitors from Louisiana. Having a surprise 3*/4* guy we didn't think we would get (like Fields and Carr) fall to the Buffs late. Also, some changes to the coaching staff to bump recruiting for 2017 and invigorate things.

I think CU football is on the edge right now and that it could tip either way. There's a huge opportunity here with facilities, a senior-laden 2016 team that should improve on the 2015 record, and a very big 2017 recruiting class getting signed on the heels of those things. This type of opportunity will not come again, so they better capitalize. Today, I'd say that staying the course with MacIntyre is the best path to capitalizing. The next 5 weeks could change my mind or get me passionate about my opinion. But I'm pretty much in "wait and see" mode while trusting RG and leaning toward sticking with a guy who is slowly showing progress.

And I guess where I'm at is based on that. He has stabilized things within the program and almost finished the job of balancing out the depth chart by class. That chart will never be perfect, but it's close to being representative again of what it should look like and it really hadn't been there since before the last couple years under GB.

All that's great and I think it does represent what McCartney has been preaching for years about needing to build a strong foundation. Lots of credit to RG on that note with how we've got 1st class facilities now, have solid academic support, have hired a nutritionist and are doing advanced testing. From the MM side, the foundational thing is that CU sports only seems to be successful when it's a true family feeling among the coaches and players. With so many of the guys coming here from elsewhere and being dropped into a Boulder culture that is very different from home, the team has to be tight because they're kind of alone together. When that dynamic is working, it gives CU an advantage over programs like UCLA where players can go home and hang out with their friends from the neighborhood any day they choose to do so. When it's not working -- either because of divisions in the locker room or poor leadership taking the values of that family in the wrong direction -- then CU is going to suck. MM has gone a long way to fixing that dynamic.

At this point, I think he and the program need some sort of signature win. Pretty much every game left on the schedule other than Wazzu would qualify (unless Utah falls apart between now and the final week). Something to tell casual fans, our casual state media followers and recruits that this is a program on the rise. Something that gives the team confidence to build upon.

And then we need to see a bump in recruiting. A guy like Dymond Lee. Flipping one or more of those visitors from Louisiana. Having a surprise 3*/4* guy we didn't think we would get (like Fields and Carr) fall to the Buffs late. Also, some changes to the coaching staff to bump recruiting for 2017 and invigorate things.

I think CU football is on the edge right now and that it could tip either way. There's a huge opportunity here with facilities, a senior-laden 2016 team that should improve on the 2015 record, and a very big 2017 recruiting class getting signed on the heels of those things. This type of opportunity will not come again, so they better capitalize. Today, I'd say that staying the course with MacIntyre is the best path to capitalizing. The next 5 weeks could change my mind or get me passionate about my opinion. But I'm pretty much in "wait and see" mode while trusting RG and leaning toward sticking with a guy who is slowly showing progress.
This is the best argument I have heard for supporting MM. You almost flipped me to the "other" side.

I hope that this 2015 team can get that signature win that they so desperately need. I find it improbable, but not impossible based on our remaining schedule.

I completely agree with you about the family atmosphere being a necessity to our success. From what I hear and see, I think MM and Leavitt both have that quality....I'm not so sure about Lindgren. I just do not find MM to be overly charismatic, and that is something we need to begin recruiting at the level necessary to compete in the P12. I am open to the idea of retaining MM for another year or two under the condition that Leavitt is retained.

This is the best argument I have heard for supporting MM. You almost flipped me to the "other" side.
Recruiting. Most of what he has done is so great, but we need to see the few difference makers! Seems like the Florida boys could be a start, but we need some more P Rich's to fall in our laps.

MM has a lot more charisma in person. He gives you the feeling you've got the right guy when speaking to him. I think I am in 'Nik's camp. Give this guy another year, while allowing for me to change my mind based on the rest of the season. I really, really hope MikeMac makes it easy on us and gets a win he's not supposed to before the season ends.

Great post. On the big recruiting class in 2017, I think thats why it is important to keep Mac. We CANNOT afford to have a transition class as the 2017 class. That is dangerous. We either make the move at the end of this year or he gets through 2017 imo. Unless you can bring in a dynamite coach, it would kill our recruiting class in 2017 and start us back at ground zero again.

MM has a lot more charisma in person. He gives you the feeling you've got the right guy when speaking to him. I think I am in 'Nik's camp. Give this guy another year, while allowing for me to change my mind based on the rest of the season. I really, really hope MikeMac makes it easy on us and gets a win he's not supposed to before the season ends.
Agreed and I think players see the same thing on a daily basis. I just don't think he's the most comfortable person in front of a camera or big audience when he has to be politically correct about everything.

M2 doesn't have that media persona but my sense is that he is very charismatic when he needs to be in person. More importantly his players don't see it as fake charisma, he has the attention of and credibility with his team.

This is why it is important that we can get kids in to visit. Prospects get an impression of a school from TV, coaches visits, etc. They get a much different impression when they get on campus and get to interact with the guys on the team. It's never a good idea to try to figure out the mind of 17 year olds but in time I think his way of dealing with his players will help us in recruiting over time.

If anyone read the article I posted on Mac, I was struck by Bill Marolt's comment that he signed Mac to an extension after going 1-10 because he felt, at that time, CU needed continuity and not another coaching change. It struck me because I think we are in a very similar situation. We can't keep taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

If anyone read the article I posted on Mac, I was struck by Bill Marolt's comment that he signed Mac to an extension after going 1-10 because he felt, at that time, CU needed continuity and not another coaching change. It struck me because I think we are in a very similar situation. We can't keep taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

Didn't see your article, but I recall a story wherein McCartney actually went to Marolt to talk to him about leaving CU for SMU in 1988, and Marolt did not accept his resignation. Apparently, Marolt felt that he had taken a gamble extending McCartney three years before, and expected McCartney to return the favor.

I think one of the issues plaguing MM is the big uglies. It seems as though we have been able to "coach up" most other positions and I think people are satisfied with the (first string) skill players (QB notwithstanding) and the back end of the defense (aside from LB, which was hopefully addressed with Leavitt). However, our issue this year has been the offensive and defensive lines. The problem is those guys take a lot of time to blossom. Compounded by the fact that we haven't really hit on the JUCOs we brought in and we are left with Lisella playing before he is ready. If we had even an average P5 DL and OL I think we would be bowling and much closer to the trajectory which most on this site demand/prefer/want/hoped for.

I don't know what to make of this though. We seem to have been getting consistent bodies in recruiting classes, and while they may not be the talents we would prefer at least we are starting to have numbers. The problem is they are greyshirting and redshirting and a couple years away from contributing. This could alleviate our issues with time, but not sure MM will be so lucky. Do we need to make a change regarding Bernardi and Jeffcoat? I think both could be upgraded recruiting wise.

Either way, I am of Nik's optimistic perspective that MM needs one more year. I don't think this is a Hawkins scenario where he will burn the program to the ground if given adequate time. Even if he is given one more year, the program will still be in a much better shape than when he first got the job. I hope he gets an upset before the year is out and excels next season so it isn't something we have to worry about.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens. I have flopped a little, after Hawaii I was ready to see him go, I now think he deserves more time. Although, like what was already said, if he gets one more year that affects the 2017 recruiting class. We need a great class that year. With an upgrade in position coaches, Leavitt has another year with the D, the facilities will be done, next year will be better then this year....this should all set up for a great recruiting class.

Back