What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

J-Fly Bye Bye?

And Blackmon used to hang our your dorm window and hurl obscene language at passers by. C'mon Slider, you gotta give us these nuggets before the players leave the program. That's what we pay you to do (in Allbuffs dollars).

Haha would have posted it but no need I didn't see the need to post it with him still on the team (on second thought...not sure if your post was sarcasm)

Last edited:
Got Celestine back. I don't think the staff could really drop the ball on those guys anyway... Blackmon left to be closer to home, Celestine to closer to home to take care of his kid, and Smith for his "music" degree. All of which coudn't really be controlled by the staff. They should have taken more WR's tho for more depth.

Back to J-Fly. One of my buddies was on the video team and said Smith did nothing but bitc* after practice was closed. He described him as the team "baby." He also didn't have the dedication in the film/weight room, or to the team in general. Take that FWIW.

How is this not on the staff? Three guys at the same position transfer in less than a year and the staff does not bear some responsibility? Come on. We have been talking about upgrading the WR position since Hawk took over. How much better is that position today than when he took over?

We don't need smith because we have a ton of wr's and our new OC already stated we are going to be a 2 back set a majority of the time.No worries, Mcknight will be our deep threat and simas will thrive in the dink and dunk.

As for special teams, fans on other boards and buffzone say we'll do just fine with espinoza and others, so no worries as usual :rolleyes:

How is this not on the staff? Three guys at the same position transfer in less than a year and the staff does not bear some responsibility? Come on. We have been talking about upgrading the WR position since Hawk took over. How much better is that position today than when he took over?

By looking at the #'s it appears to be their responsibility. But how is it their fault that Celestine knocked up his girl, Blackmon got homesick, and J-Fly wanted to pursue a career path CU supposedly doesn't offer? According to Ringo they did everything they could to keep them on campus.

Attrition happens at every school...live with it

Last edited:
By looking at the #'s it appears to be their responsibility. But how is it their fault that Celestine knocked up his girl, Blackmon got homesick, and J-Fly wanted to pursue a career path CU supposedly doesn't offer? According to Ringo they did everything they could to keep them on campus.

rep

Some of the stuff on this board cracks me up. Ya losing Smith SUCKS... but now all of the sudden Hawk doesn't know what he's doing, Kiesau is no longer a God send and Hawk knocked up Celestine's girl for him:rolleyes: No offseason is complete with some amount of attrition. The offseason has been just as good as bad imo. We got Celestine back, Helfrich is gone, we added a potentially NFL caliber WR in Toney Clemons, we went the entire Spring without a single significant injury...

Josh knew cu didn't have this when he came here,so now after 2 years you leave?

All we can do is live with it. When the offense can't make plays in the passing game..live with it.

When we have another losing season...live with it

Josh knew cu didn't have this when he came here,so now after 2 years you leave?

All we can do is live with it. When the offense can't make plays in the passing game..live with it.

When we have another losing season...live with it

Smith leaving isn't going to make or break our offense. Jeez a couple days ago people were happy with our WR's with the addition of Celestine. Now we have nothing...we're fu**ed...we're gonna go defeated next year:rolleyes: I'm just as tired as you of losing but come on

Smith leaving isn't going to make or break our offense. Jeez a couple days ago people were happy with our WR's with the addition of Celestine. Now we have nothing...we're fu**ed...we're gonna go defeated next year:rolleyes: I'm just as tired as you of losing but come on

Newsflash, we aren't texas. We don't have great depth at wr and can just roll guys in. Our margin for error with attrition isn't the same as with these types of schools.

Mcknight and simas and simas hasn't played a down. It's a legit concern, especially for a team and a coach who guarantees 10 wins.

Newsflash, we aren't texas. We don't have great depth at wr and can just roll guys in. Our margin for error with attrition isn't the same as with these types of schools.

Mcknight and simas and simas hasn't played a down. It's a legit concern, especially for a team and a coach who guarantees 10 wins.

A goal is not a guarantee. I'd rather have him set a goal like that then say something like "hopefully we can compete in the Big XII this year and maybe if we're lucky we'll play in a bowl." Mmmm koolaid

A goal is not a guarantee. I'd rather have him set a goal like that then say something like "hopefully we can compete in the Big XII this year and maybe if we're lucky we'll play in a bowl." Mmmm koolaid

Talk is cheap and he's almost broke.

Talk is cheap and he's almost broke.

Ya I agree. I'm tired of losing too. I'm just sick of guys blaming the coaches for literally everything. The same people giving them props for landing Celestine and Clemons then rip them for having players transfer out for reasons out of their control. Ya Hawk knocked up Celestine's girl (time to eat crow on that one BB:smile2:)

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35526

When you make up your mind let me know.

No it isn't hawk's fault for smith transfering but barney got bashed for it, so will hawk. Problem is,hawk hasn't had a winning season yet either.

We've had enough attrition around here,it needs to stop.

That thread was re: him as a KR/PR...which he is excellent at. Sucks to lose him there but he was an average WR imo

Attrition, yeah, but this is reaching pandemic proportions. Happy campers don't get homesick, or at least find compensations. Of course the staff bears some responsibility for this. And don't forget to throw the TE Wallace in there, too.

Attrition, yeah, but this is reaching pandemic proportions. Happy campers don't get homesick, or at least find compensations. Of course the staff bears some responsibility for this. And don't forget to throw the TE Wallace in there, too.

20 players transferred from the Buffs between 2002-2005... Ya it was during the scandal and all that but a couple transfers isn't exactly pandemic

It's a receiver pandemic. :sad2:

We have just as many WR's on the roster as we did before the offseason started. Loss of Smith and Blackmon...addition of Clemons and Celestine. Not immediate impact guys but hopefully Simmons and either Darden or Ussery fit that bill

It seems like we have posters on two polar opposites here. One side says that the world is coming to an end and the other side says no big deal. As usual the truth is someplace between the two.

J-Fly was the one player we had who had the greatest potential to change a game on one play. He has the ability take any pass play or any return to the house at any time and this means that opposing coaches have to spend their time worrying about him any time he is on the field. Unfortunately his own coaches also have to worry about him any time he is on the field wondering if what he is going to do will help the team or hurt the team. His decision making on returns is enough to cause coaches to have heart attacks. He has made bad choices in fielding punts deep with no solid blocking or lane to return in, he has run away from his blocking often losing yardage in the process, he has made some decisions on what should be clear touchbacks that border on ridiculous.

As a WR I see much of the same. On one hand his speed and elusiveness have meant that defenses have had to devote attention to him freeing up other players. He has been one of the few players on the team that can make a big play at almost any time.

On the down side he seems to dissappear when the team needs him most. He has had games when he was a complete non-factor in the passing game. He has also shown an ability to drop the ball at the worst times and seems to be more than any other player on the team on the recieving end of pissed of QBs conversations as they tell and gesture to show him where he should have been instead of where he was.

In the return game we will lose some explosiveness but I think we have the players who can provide a significant threat without the heart attack factor attached. Espinoza can be a positive contributer, Lockridge has explosiveness, Speedy can scare people, and McKnight is there for the times we need secure hands and the right decision. Some of the Frosh will also be in the mix.

Receiving we clearly lose in terms of the pure speed threat but with the addition of Simas we gain a guy who can make plays downfield and seems to be a guy who can be counted on to make the play when it matters. Again, the incoming Frosh may have to contribute earlier than planned but they have talent and I am interested to see them play.

Add to all this the fact that if Simmons qualifies WR speed will not be an issue and J-Fly may have found himself watching anyways.

This is not the end of the world, but it is more than a minor loss. Getting Clemons and Celestine (maybe) is nice, but neither will be helping us in 2009. What happens if one guy goes down with a significant injury at WR next year? I hope we do not have to find out. Also, our speed at the WR position right now is laughable.

Man, frustration levels at an all time high. We can't keep coaches and players. My support of Hawk has hit an all time low. What is the problem in Boulder? Grimes, Helfrich, Maiava, Blackmon, Wallace, Smith, Katoa and if Scott transfers I think I am done with this regime. Hawk always preaches continuity, "look at Mizzou and KU, the reason they are where they are is because the staffs have been together a long time." Maybe I am in denial that our beloved program can never be as strong as it once was, but I can't see us doing anything when our athletic department struggles with money, can't pay a big name coach to come in here let alone keep good assistants with laws against long term contracts for coaches. Is this just reality for CU football?

Man, frustration levels at an all time high. We can't keep coaches and players. My support of Hawk has hit an all time low. What is the problem in Boulder? Grimes, Helfrich, Maiava, Blackmon, Wallace, Smith, Katoa and if Scott transfers I think I am done with this regime. Hawk always preaches continuity, "look at Mizzou and KU, the reason they are where they are is because the staffs have been together a long time." Maybe I am in denial that our beloved program can never be as strong as it once was, but I can't see us doing anything when our athletic department struggles with money, can't pay a big name coach to come in here let alone keep good assistants with laws against long term contracts for coaches. Is this just reality for CU football?

Transfers should really have no say on the opinion of the coaching staff imo. A lot of those guys got homesick... and not sure why you added Katoa in there. That was all his personal deal. Again, kids transfer, it's the nature of the game when you're dealing with 18-22 year old kids

Well I think knowing what kind of kid you are recruiting has a lot to do with your decision to recruit that kid. As far as I'm concerned that falls directly on the coaching staffs shoulders.

This wouldn't mean as much if we had depth at the position. Is no one to blame for that?

Well I think knowing what kind of kid you are recruiting has a lot to do with your decision to recruit that kid. As far as I'm concerned that falls directly on the coaching staffs shoulders.

Every coach in the nation even Carroll, Meyer, Paterno (we even have our own Penn St in Goldberg) etc have failed miserably at the above then. They have no idea on who will get homesick. For just as many guys that leave for home (Blackmon, Wallace) you have more guys staying (Stewart, Rippy, Brad Jones, and on and on). You can't blame a coaching staff for guys transferring. JMO. Unless he was mistreated or forced out in anyway making him leave

Last edited:
Transfers should really have no say on the opinion of the coaching staff imo. A lot of those guys got homesick... and not sure why you added Katoa in there. That was all his personal deal. Again, kids transfer, it's the nature of the game when you're dealing with 18-22 year old kids

So it's your contention that this is a normal rate of attrition for players that have had or could have significant PT? I disagree. The loss of so many receivers (you all keep forgetting Wallace) with at least a year in the program sets us back. It's not the end of the world (not sure where that comment came from MB), but it's the end of some redshirts, and puts some pressure on those young guys to pick up the playbook a lot faster than they'd normally have had to.

So it's your contention that this is a normal rate of attrition for players that have had or could have significant PT? I disagree. The loss of so many receivers (you all keep forgetting Wallace) with at least a year in the program sets us back. It's not the end of the world (not sure where that comment came from MB), but it's the end of some redshirts, and puts some pressure on those young guys to pick up the playbook a lot faster than they'd normally have had to.

Ya I think it's about a normal amount of attrition, maybe a little above average. The fact that it is mainly at the WR position is purely coincidence imo. We will have 5 new WR's on campus this Fall assuming Celestine is back on the team (with the loss of 2 in Blackmon and Smith)

Back