What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jake Spavital - OC West Virginia University

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
(Mod updating top post with coaching profile)
vm9-WuXz_400x400.jpg

Organization: West Virginia

Current Position: Offensive Coordinator

Former Positions:
2008Tulsa (OQC)
2009Houston (GA)
2010Oklahoma St. (GA)
2011–2012West Virginia (QB)
2013Texas A&M (Co-OC/QB)
2014–2015Texas A&M (OC/QB)
2016California (OC/QB)
2017–PresentWest Virginia (OC/QB)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Record and Awards:

Notable Recruits:
Kyle Allen - QB (5*)
Christian Kirk - WR (5*)
Kyler Murray - QB (5*)
Ford Childress - QB (4*)

Coaching Notes:

----------------------------------------------------
(Original post continues below)

Oh please, oh please, oh please....

I have long been a fan of the next great, young, inventive coach climbing the ranks concept.... but THIS time... we NEED a name!
Jake Spavital would be the young dynamo, I think, if RG decided to get a little crazy and try to go the Lincoln Riley route.

Only 33 years old and he's been a major conference OC for 5 years already (aTm and Cal before WVU). The list of college QBs he's coached and developed is Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Kenny Hill Jr., Davis Webb and Will Grier. That's insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake Spavital would be the young dynamo, I think, if RG decided to get a little crazy and try to go the Lincoln Riley route.

Only 33 years old and he's been a major conference OC for 5 years already (aTm before WVU). The list of college QBs he's coached and developed is Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Kenny Hill Jr., Davis Webb and Will Grier. That's insane.
After doing some digging, I really like what he brings as an offensive playcaller and QB guru. How is he on the recruiting trail? What kind of connections does he have to build out a staff?

After doing some digging, I really like what he brings as an offensive playcaller and QB guru. How is he on the recruiting trail? What kind of connections does he have to build out a staff?
His brother is a DB Coach at TTU, so that expands the tree a bit.

I'd say it's really good for 33 years old, but it can only be so good if you're only 33 years old.

Edit: I have no idea on recruiting.

Meh. My impression of the Davis Webb saga was that Sefo was starting to get healthier and our coaches wouldn't come out and name Davis the defacto starter. He had one year of eligibility and didn't want to spend it on the bench.
I like Spavital as an idea, but that's still the first thing that comes to mind with him was him recruiting Webb. Honestly though it's kind of a plus in his favor that he was willing to do that and pulled it off. And not like his offense was the problem at Cal. Historically he seems to be a pretty good recruiter.

I like Spavital as an idea, but that's still the first thing that comes to mind with him was him recruiting Webb. Honestly though it's kind of a plus in his favor that he was willing to do that and pulled it off. And not like his offense was the problem at Cal. Historically he seems to be a pretty good recruiter.
In hindsight, 2016 was much more satisfying for me with Sefo leading the team, but at the time of Webb's decommitment, I wanted to punch anyone I saw wearing a Tech shirt.

Here's the bio stuff on Spavital:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Spavital
BornMay 1, 1985 (age 33)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Alma materMissouri State University
Playing career
2006–2007Missouri St.
Position(s)Quarterback/Punter
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2008Tulsa (OQC)
2009Houston (GA)
2010Oklahoma St. (GA)
2013Texas A&M (Co-OC/QB)
2016California (OC/QB)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This is a great read: https://newsok.com/article/5569661/west-virginias-jake-spavital-on-the-fast-track-of-coaching

Here's the bio stuff on Spavital:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Spavital
BornMay 1, 1985 (age 33)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Alma materMissouri State University
Playing career
2006–2007Missouri St.
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2008Tulsa (OQC)
2009Houston (GA)
2010Oklahoma St. (GA)
2013Texas A&M (Co-OC/QB)
2016California (OC/QB)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This is a great read: https://newsok.com/article/5569661/west-virginias-jake-spavital-on-the-fast-track-of-coaching
worked with a lot of great QBs, no doubt. Do we know how instrumental he was in recruiting any of them?

Spavital would be great as Mile's OC, head coach not so much. Looks like he will be a good head coach one day, would like to see him go to the prom first though. We could do better, I'd take Anderson over this kid.

I would like to see him assemble a staff at a G5 program before handing him the keys at CU. He’d be a great choice at CSU.

First question that comes to my mind is whether the stars just aligned for him to coach all those QBs, or if he played a big part in their development. Seems RG would need to help I'm put together a good staff, which is a red flag. I'm not in the mood for more experiments right now.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He is the Danny White of Missery State.

My memory on this is foggy. Weren't we ripping Spavital during the Webb saga for getting fired at TAMU and the issues he had with the two 5 star QBs on their roster? Good problem to have and he's doing well at WVU - but could have sworn he had a lot of warts?

I don't know about aTm. Was the problem with keeping the players happy with Sumlin, Spavital or both?

All I do know is that his offenses have been consistently great and QBs have performed very well for him. CU would definitely score points if he was here.

Im not really interested in any learn on the job hires.
Out of curiosity, what's your line with that? No one who hasn't been a HC? No one who hasn't been a P5 HC? Would you not consider coordinators?

Last edited:
247 is giving him credit for kyler Murray recruiting to a&m. Christian Kirk who’s playing for the Arizona cardinals. Also Kenny hill who was highly rated.

Out of curiosity, what's your line with that. No one who hasn't been a HC? No one who hasn't been a P5 HC? Would you not consider coordinators?

I want someone that would hit the ground running from day 1 and have the cache to call his own shots within the AD. I guess I would be open to a coordinator,but I would want someone who has been working under a great HC long enough to how things are done. Mac worked under Bo for eight years. Has this guy even been driving that long?

Only 33 years old and he's been a major conference OC for 5 years already (aTm and Cal before WVU). The list of college QBs he's coached and developed is Case Keenum, Brandon Weeden, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Kenny Hill Jr., Davis Webb and Will Grier. That's insane.

We tried the 33 year old coach thing before. As long as he doesn't where sweater vests, play the guitar and eat bagels dry, I could probably live with this. Maybe if he does MMA as a hobby?

We tried the 33 year old coach thing before. As long as he doesn't where sweater vests, play the guitar and eat bagels dry, I could probably live with this. Maybe if he does MMA as a hobby?
His brother, Zac, is Co-DC under Gibbs at TTU. Comes from a family of coaches. He can't be just a finesse guy, right?

Spavital would work for me.

1. He comes from that Air Raid system tree and a big offensive overhaul wouldnt be that necessary.
2. He meets the P5 criteria.
3. He's young and should be able to recruit lights out.

Maybe I'm a repugnant ageist, but I have a hard time getting excited about someone who is 7 years younger than I am.

Would have been a great OC rather than Chev.

Maybe I'm a repugnant ageist, but I have a hard time getting excited about someone who is 7 years younger than I am.
The thing to remember about young people whose careers have been on the fast track is that they're exceptionally talented and would not be in their current job & available if they were 10 years older -- they'll be beyond that by that age.

Back