What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jaleel Awini (former AFA/Rangeview QB)...

Thinking of Awini

I wonder (and have no idea how it fits the rules) if a part of potentially getting an exemption might be based on the fact that he only played in 4 games this past season before being suspended, and only a part of the first one. This would put him slightly over what would be allow a player to take a RS year after an injury.

He may be able to claim that he was academically eligible and violated no NCAA rules before being denied the ability to participate. Might make an interesting argument.

One thing we do know is that he has athletic ability. He is also a very smart kid used to an intense learning situation. He should be able to learn the system faster that n many others might.

Marcus Houston's Mom worked in public relations and the Houston family ran to the press all the time to try their case. When I played football I thought Verbal abuse was a part of coaching - I got called a lot worse that "Markeha" or whatever it was. The real abuse was running stadium stairs - I did not like that. CU did not challenge the appeal, I think CU and the NCAA just wanted the Houston family drama to go away.

Yeah, I get that about the abuse. Lord knows our HS PE coach that coach the football team did it to me a few times in gym class. :lol:

The whole thing was sort of strange. I did not know we didn't appeal. When he fumbled on the goal line against us ill admit I laughed.

Thinking of Awini

I wonder (and have no idea how it fits the rules) if a part of potentially getting an exemption might be based on the fact that he only played in 4 games this past season before being suspended, and only a part of the first one. This would put him slightly over what would be allow a player to take a RS year after an injury.

He may be able to claim that he was academically eligible and violated no NCAA rules before being denied the ability to participate. Might make an interesting argument.

One thing we do know is that he has athletic ability. He is also a very smart kid used to an intense learning situation. He should be able to learn the system faster that n many others might.
Unintentional?

Thinking of Awini

I doubt he will even apply for an exemption if he broke the honor code because he would have to lay all that out in his appeal and the AFA would fill out paperwork explaining why he was expelled. Maintaining the Honor Code is a condition of you enrollment - if he broke it then they had reason to expel him and that is why he could not participate. If he was expelled from the AFA then he would have had due process - he would of gone before the honor board. It is rare for a Cadet to be expelled for cheating unless the actions were egregious in the eyes of the board. Usually you would get probation and enter a remediation program. I don't think he was expelled, he was suspended from the team because he was no longer in good standing (which at the academy can mean a lot of things) and then he left the school at the end of the semester.

The 4 game thing is for medical hardships.

I think you are going to find he has to sit out a year. He will be a junior with 2 to play 2 in 2015.

Markeshea.

And all karma evened out when Billingsley stuffed his ass and dropped for a 3 yard loss when Sonny thought it would be cute for Markeesha to have the final score on that 4th and 1 with 2 seconds to go in Boulder in '03 or whatever year it was.

I doubt he will even apply for an exemption if he broke the honor code because he would have to lay all that out in his appeal and the AFA would fill out paperwork explaining why he was expelled. Maintaining the Honor Code is a condition of you enrollment - if he broke it then they had reason to expel him and that is why he could not participate. If he was expelled from the AFA then he would have had due process - he would of gone before the honor board. It is rare for a Cadet to be expelled for cheating unless the actions were egregious in the eyes of the board. Usually you would get probation and enter a remediation program. I don't think he was expelled, he was suspended from the team because he was no longer in good standing (which at the academy can mean a lot of things) and then he left the school at the end of the semester.

The 4 game thing is for medical hardships.

I think you are going to find he has to sit out a year. He will be a junior with 2 to play 2 in 2015.

Thing is that we are all assuming, based on reports that were assuming, that it is a cheating issue. There are rumblings that it wasn't cheating but rather had to do with getting busted with alchohol in the dorms and trying to cover it up (the lying part of the honor code.) While also not a good thing this is something that wouldn't even be looked at twice at most schools that are not a service academy or BYU. The NCAA officials making the decision are likely drinkers themselves. Even if it is cheating they again may look at this as being a severe punishment and unfair burden on the player.

Agree that an appeal would be a longshot in any case but the NCAA has done odder things over the recent years.

I know we need depth at QB and I know nothing about this kid. Will he automatically be a QB or will they move him to another position?

Different offense but the kid was a good QB at AF. Don't see them moving him.

I don't see him beating out Sefo but he could give us a quality back-up with some leadership skills. As a bonus he can add another wrinkle to the offense by giving us the option of a QB who is a serious threat the run the ball will still being able to complete passes.

Might be interesting in short yardage/goal line situations to have a package for him.

If we can get through next year he also could mean that we don't have to push the development of our young QBs.

I'm sure if I dig into the thread I can find it, but since he's an AFA transfer, can he play immediately since they don't have scholarships?

Welcome Jaleel. Very nice addition and a great opportunity for a hometown guy! Nice.

I thought Talkins offered him a scholly? Anyway, sounds like he's here for sure now and I'm pretty sure he has to sit a year. And if that's true, he's no help as a backup for the 2014 season.

I thought Talkins offered him a scholly? Anyway, sounds like he's here for sure now and I'm pretty sure he has to sit a year. And if that's true, he's no help as a backup for the 2014 season.
I don't know if Hawkins offered or not, but he had a ton of interest. It was Embree who didn't offer or had no interest.

Different offense but the kid was a good QB at AF. Don't see them moving him.

I don't see him beating out Sefo but he could give us a quality back-up with some leadership skills. As a bonus he can add another wrinkle to the offense by giving us the option of a QB who is a serious threat the run the ball will still being able to complete passes.

Might be interesting in short yardage/goal line situations to have a package for him.

Freshman year Tim Tebow*

*FYI - can't stand the dude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back