What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jaron Hopkins leaving

So, next years lineup (as of today):
C Scott
PF Gordon
SF Fletcher
SG Fortune
PG Collier

Key Reserves:
F XJ (If he is still around)
F/C Miller
G/F King
G XT
F Gusonjic
G Akyazili

Losses:
Booker
Thomas
Hopkins

Is this team better than the 2014/2015 squad?
I think XJ's availability will be huge

I think if XJ is here, he will be starting at the 3. Too soon to know what we have in the euros. I still think we will be better, if I had to place a wager right now.

So, next years lineup (as of today):
C Scott
PF Gordon
SF Fletcher
SG Fortune
PG Collier

Key Reserves:
F XJ (If he is still around)
F/C Miller
G/F King
G XT
F Gusonjic
G Akyazili

Losses:
Booker
Thomas
Hopkins

Is this team better than the 2014/2015 squad?
I think XJ's availability will be huge

All depends on how much Collier improves and what Fortune brings to the table, we can get by on a front court of Scott/Wes/Miller even if XJ leaves. Fltcher looks poised to take abotu 60% of the minutes at the three which could be passable.

I think if XJ is here, he will be starting at the 3. Too soon to know what we have in the euros. I still think we will be better, if I had to place a wager right now.

X was used almost exclusively as a sub at the tail end of last year and was the first option off the bench at both the 3 & 4. I am not sure we see that changing headed into next year.

X was used almost exclusively as a sub at the tail end of last year and was the first option off the bench at both the 3 & 4. I am not sure we see that changing headed into next year.
Before or after his injury? He was playing pretty well before he got hurt against Utah

The better question is why would an Europe talent think he is a NBA talent

Totally agree. XJ was slated as a second round pick coming into this season on a couple different sites. Gotta think that in his mind he isn't coming off the bench anywhere his senior year.

After 2 years of college, I think his dribbling and shooting is what it is for the most part. He's got unique skills, but those two are not his strengths. Maybe a different system is a better fit. Tad brought him here envisioning him becoming the lockdown perimeter defender that his athleticism enables and JHop just doesn't appear to have that mindset.

It is a Bingo! Defensively and offensively, his mind was in "disconnect" mode with Tad's game and his BB IQ didn't appear to be all that high, as well.

He was always looking for that Sports Center highlight play, a 3 or a dunk, rather than the smart BB move. Best of luck to him.

Best of luck to JHop ... in the end, he just wasn't athletic enough. :slayer:

Kidding, of course ... I think he's better off in a different system and we're better off without him. Mutually beneficial.

Last edited:
Wrong. We'd be better off if Stalzer and XT would leave.

I'd probably agree. But honestly the difference in production between all 3 is negligible. Sure, JHop is much more athletic than those two, but that hasn't meant much at all in 2 years. And he's had ample opportunity to prove himself.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't more melt-down mode posts about JHop leaving, since the majority of comments over the past couple years have been about his upside and athletic ability.

There seemed to be more many more voices of concern when DT decided to part ways with the Buffs.

Basketball can turn in either direction much more quickly than football, since you are only talking 13 scholarship players vs 85. The key exception for a fast turnaround in football is if you get an athlete that turns into an amazing college QB.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't more melt-down mode posts about JHop leaving, since the majority of comments over the past couple years have been about his upside and athletic ability.

There seemed to be more many more voices of concern when DT decided to part ways with the Buffs.

Basketball can turn in either direction much more quickly than football, since you are only talking 13 scholarship players vs 85. The key exception for a fast turnaround in football is if you get an athlete that turns into an amazing college QB.

I think I'd be in melt-down mode if Jaron's free throw percentage was over 55%, or if he played lock down defense, but no such melt-down necessary here. He can jump/dunk tho.

What we lose in Hopkins is potential. The kid is an athlete who has shown he can do some exciting things.

The reason for no meltdown is that potential means you haven't done it yet. When you are talking about potential for a guy who is just coming in you get excited, when you are talking about potential for a guy who has been around for a while then you question if he will ever show more than potential. In the case of JHop the probablility of him becoming a key player for us now looks to be fairly small had he stayed.

I think we are all excited to see the next Euro player added. One door closes and another opens and all that.

I do believe I told you all that JHop was gone on March 13. Just saying...

Hopkins was an epic fail. Originally, he was brought in to be the heir apparent for Spencer. In fact, when Spencer went down, Tad started Hopkins at the point and it was a huge failure which led to Talton starting and playing the best he has ever played. Hop's failure was he didn't take care of the ball well, never became a lock down defender like Spencer was, and couldn't shoot well enough to play the 2 or the 3 position. If we do in fact get White to come here, we have upgraded the guard position substantially.

Hopkins saw the hand writing on the wall. I appreciate what he tried to do for 2 years. I am not sad to see him go.

Disappointing, but he didn't progress enough with his ball handling and defensively. I figured there would be some big changes, but am surprised somewhat that both jhop and dustin have left the program.

Disappointing, but he didn't progress enough with his ball handling and defensively. I figured there would be some big changes, but am surprised somewhat that both jhop and dustin have left the program.

Thomas disagreed with the staff's perception of his role/position and let it get to him, resulting in overall sub-par performances, particularly on "D". How many times did he disqualify himself from floor time by too numerous, silly or stupid fouls?

Hopkins thinks of himself as a "human highlight film" ,instead of a basketball player. Point is not a highlight position, unless you're making that smart, unlooked-for (by people in the stands) pass..

Both have athleticism and potential. Both let the mental aspects of the game get away from them, to the detriment of their potential.

Thomas disagreed with the staff's perception of his role/position and let it get to him, resulting in overall sub-par performances, particularly on "D". How many times did he disqualify himself from floor time by too numerous, silly or stupid fouls?

Hopkins thinks of himself as a "human highlight film" ,instead of a basketball player. Point is not a highlight position, unless you're making that smart, unlooked-for (by people in the stands) pass..

Both have athleticism and potential. Both let the mental aspects of the game get away from them, to the detriment of their potential.

Just an observation, you make more assumptions and leaps in logic than any other poster on the site.

Just an observation, you make more assumptions and leaps in logic than any other poster on the site.

What? From Thomas's own statement that he thought he should be playing a different position and the fact that he continually got in early foul trouble...those are assumptions?

From watching Hopkins' reckless play while handling the ball leading to numerous TO's, without many assists, but then seeing him make spectacular put-backs or open floor dunks and deep threes, I OPINE what I think his state of mind might be and that's a leap?

Tell me your OPINION, smart guy and then tell me where my OPINION wrong. (Next time I'll make it easier for you and preface my remarks with "IMO:")

Thomas disagreed with the staff's perception of his role/position
Stated by Thomas

and let it get to him resulting in overall sub-par performances,

Leap of logic

particularly on "D". How many times did he disqualify himself from floor time by too numerous, silly or stupid fouls?

Only the coaches know this answer, did he sometimes? probably. other times was he only going to play for a few minutes anyway to spell someone else so the fouls didnt really DQ him from anything? probably.

Hopkins thinks of himself as a "human highlight film" ,instead of a basketball player.
Complete and total assumption based on the fact he likes to dunk. Hopkins is elite at basically 1 thing: jumping, OF COURSE he tried to play to that.

Point is not a highlight position, unless you're making that smart, unlooked-for (by people in the stands) pass..
Russel Westbrook
Steph Curry
Chris Paul
Kyrie Irving

Did they?
Or were they maybe just not good enough?
Or did they not progress?
Was the leap to the Pac-12 too much?

I know for a fact Jaron was not afraid to work in practice and pushed his teammates to stay after and work on their game while he worked on his.

The biggest unfair speculation anyone can make is on work ethic. There is no justification to question that with J-Hop or DT. Both, by all accounts, trained hard in the offseason and brought it at practice -- including that they put in extra time.

The biggest unfair speculation anyone can make is on work ethic. There is no justification to question that with J-Hop or DT. Both, by all accounts, trained hard in the offseason and brought it at practice -- including that they put in extra time.

Never questioned work ethic of either. But if you work your butt off on the wrong things and let your mental state get to some other place, the work can go for naught.

Back