What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jerry Kill had another seizure today

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Karma to him. Dude keeps fighting and is one hell of a good ****ing football coach. I just don't know if he can keep this up.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...nesota-20130914,0,4178383.story#axzz2euHUZLcA

Minnesota Coach Jerry Kill, who has a long history of epileptic seizures, was carted off the field of Saturday's game against Western Illinois in Minneapolis.
This has happened before to Kill, who has worked with doctors to help bring his condition under control. He suffered a seizure at halftime of last year's game against Michigan State. It was his third known seizure during a game since he took over at Minnesota in 2011.
The university had no immediate comment on Kill's condition.
[Updated 12:11 p.m. PST, Sept. 14: The university told the Associated Press that Kill was transported to a local hospital and is resting comfortably.
Kill suffered the seizure as the teams left for their respective locker rooms at halftime. Kill was writhing on the ground as medical staff tried to keep him still in an effort to prevent injury. The seizure lasted for several minutes.]

Wow, the dude has been struggling...I respect him staying in the game, but you have to wonder if the stress brings the seizures on...I have no idea, but the dude goes down at games.

Minnesota fans on rivals were emphatic that he wasn't in danger of retirement. I laughed

I had a seizure in 91 in the military, fell down a hill into cactus. Also had one in 85, 95 and in 97 broke collarbone. I've haven't had one since. I think mine had more to do with drinking and poor diet. I still drink but not as much and eating right and working out has helped. These seizures are dangerous, especially if your driving.Most doctors forbid driving in grandmal seizure patients.

Had another one today and won't coach vs Michigan

Karma. This is a horrible situation. Far be it from me to make armchair decisions about someone else's life, but I sincerely hope that Coach Kill is listening to his doctors and inner circle to make the right decision for himself and those who care most about him.

Karma. This is a horrible situation. Far be it from me to make armchair decisions about someone else's life, but I sincerely hope that Coach Kill is listening to his doctors and inner circle to make the right decision for himself and those who care most about him.

It's going to come down to a tough decision between the University and Coach Kill. It'd be much easier for everyone if Kill decided to retire, but Minnesota has to be wondering how long they can let this go on. It sucks cause it's not like he's a sh*tty coach.

If Kill wanted to force the issue he could probably find a lawyer to make a strong ADA case for him.

Agree though that he needs to step down. Maybe become a special consultant to the athletic department or similar but he is a distraction to the team and who knows what this will mean to his health.

If Kill wanted to force the issue he could probably find a lawyer to make a strong ADA case for him.

Agree though that he needs to step down. Maybe become a special consultant to the athletic department or similar but he is a distraction to the team and who knows what this will mean to his health.

I read somewhere there could be ADA issues terminating him.Reassigning him would probably avoid that.Its gotta be a huge distraction.I wonder how frequent his seizures are in the off season?

Just announced that Kill has taken an "open ended leave of absence" to focus on getting medical treatment.

Tough situation for everyone involved.

I wish him well and I hope things work out for everyone.

He helped get all my friends who went to NIU to even notice that they had a team.

Truly a hard situation

From what I have seen Kill is a good guy and a decent coach. The seizures are not ddue to something he has much control over and are certainly not his fault. He has likely been working most of his adult life with the dream of being a BCS level head coach and now that he is where he wants to be this condition threatens to derail it.

I can see how he would be very resistant to stepping aside or letting this condition deny him his dream. At the same time his condition has become the story. People are now paying almost as much attention to when he has his next seizure as they are to wins and losses.

Weed

Sent from a red light

Actually that might be a solid remedy, based on what I've heard in medical studies.

It's going to come down to a tough decision between the University and Coach Kill. It'd be much easier for everyone if Kill decided to retire, but Minnesota has to be wondering how long they can let this go on. It sucks cause it's not like he's a sh*tty coach.

Right, because it would be ok if he was a ****ty coach.

Actually that might be a solid remedy, based on what I've heard in medical studies.

Right, because it would be ok if he was a ****ty coach.
Yeah it was both a sarcastic comment and a semi-serious one. I think it was on a Discovery show about it and they had a 8 year old who had seizures and he was given a extract of some kind and they've decreased a lot apparently.

Yeah it was both a sarcastic comment and a semi-serious one. I think it was on a Discovery show about it and they had a 8 year old who had seizures and he was given a extract of some kind and they've decreased a lot apparently.

Her name was Charlotte and the strain is named Charlotte's Web after her.

I heard they took down the motivational plaque in his office that said "Carpe Diem" and replaced it with one that said "Capcio".

My wife is epileptic and stress is definitely a trigger for hers...along with lack of sleep and hormonal changes. Her meds control them for the most part, but if any of her triggers are elevated....stress, insomnia or pregnancy, her meds aren't as effective. They do, however prevent the seizures from killing her. Her first seizure was obviously before she was medicated and it stopped her heart. She had to be brought back to life twice.

After she does have a seizure, she is pretty disoriented, combative and it triggers migraines.

I can see how, even though medicated, the stress and lack of sleep that comes with the coaching profession, can continue to trigger seizures of that magnitude in Coach Kill. I sympathize with him and his family.

My wife is epileptic and stress is definitely a trigger for hers...along with lack of sleep and hormonal changes. Her meds control them for the most part, but if any of her triggers are elevated....stress, insomnia or pregnancy, her meds aren't as effective. They do, however prevent the seizures from killing her. Her first seizure was obviously before she was medicated and it stopped her heart. She had to be brought back to life twice.

After she does have a seizure, she is pretty disoriented, combative and it triggers migraines.

I can see how, even though medicated, the stress and lack of sleep that comes with the coaching profession, can continue to trigger seizures of that magnitude in Coach Kill. I sympathize with him and his family.

My sister's issues are very similar. She started having them at 3 though so she isn't much older mentally than that. It is a really hard thing for everyone involved and especially hard for my sister because she looks "normal."

My sister:

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/25/arvada-skater-heads-to-special-olympics-world-games/

Last edited:
I have a seizure condition which is pretty much under control.

The last one I had though was pretty bad and I definitely did the whole combative thing. I came to with the bedroom a total mess and looking like I had gone 12 rounds with Tyson.

Seizures suck, and even if they're not as bad comparatively speaking as others, they can be a total pain in the ass for yourself and your family.

My dad is epileptic after a benign brain tumor was removed and he got an infection following surgery. It is a bitch. He is 90% of what he was, but he will never be quite the same. His first seizure was the first indication of any problems, they theorized the tumor could've been growing for 20 years. He is medically retired from our family business, he can't handle any stress. I know he's bored to death not working or being able to drive, but any level of stress will often trigger seizures even with medication. It took several years to get the medication down to where he very rarely has random seizures anymore. Prayers to Jerry Kill and family.

Back