What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim McElwain bio

who was the HC at Mich State when McElwain was asst HC? i can't think back that far....was it the guy from Louisville? so, McE's fate was tied to that guy at some point. can't keep track of Sparty, they are changing coaches and unis all the time. every season they are either "going back" to the Spartan helmet on the headgear or "going back" to the "S". back and forth, back and forth.

John L Smith

John L Smith

that's it. seemed like a good hire at the time....Hawk-esque in a way. UL turns around and makes another seemingly good hire in Kragthorpe....and he tanks, too. no wait, Petrino between Smith and Krag.

still wouldn't mind Kragthorpe as CU's OC. i don't know, maybe he sucks. he got hired somewhere (ATM?) and then had health issue with his wife or something....and is on leave?

1. Jim McElwain
2. Coach Mac

I love coach Mac, but if you can get a guy like McElwain, you have to pull the trigger. Make it happen Bohn.

I've got to say, I've been impressed with the way he didn't panic when he got behind, kept true to the offensive identity by running the ball, didn't lose sight of his qb's limitations, and was able to make adjustments.

Difficult to do that on the road at such a tough place to play against a top ten team. They may not pull out the win, but I don't fault the coaching if they lose today.

I think McElwain became my #1 candidate today (assuming Hawkins doesn't pull the miracle turnaround this season).

Great point, Nik. He knew that despite being down by 7, there was a lot of time left. Weird.

They were down 13 in the 2nd half, my friend.

After re-reading what I said, I noticed it seemed sarcastic against you. Wasn't my intention. I was saying that our team panicked after being down 7-0 in Cal.

After re-reading what I said, I noticed it seemed sarcastic against you. Wasn't my intention. I was saying that our team panicked after being down 7-0 in Cal.

Right on. Remember CSU last year? Totally abandoned the game plan and season plan after a bad 1st quarter. Never went back to the offense we ran in the spring game.

If McElwain is known as the driving force for recruiting on the offense side of the ball (as well as making all the offensive coaching decisions) then I am okay. If he has a nice tree of coaching connections then I am okay.

However, if he is simply a coordinator of a boat load of talent then I am skeptical. Maybe Bama Charlie can enlighten us.

If McElwain is known as the driving force for recruiting on the offense side of the ball (as well as making all the offensive coaching decisions) then I am okay. If he has a nice tree of coaching connections then I am okay.

However, if he is simply a coordinator of a boat load of talent then I am skeptical. Maybe Bama Charlie can enlighten us.

I think his Bio speaks for itself. Look at the success he's had at other schools. The guy is a great up and coming coach. Someone is going to get him. Why not us?

I think his Bio speaks for itself. Look at the success he's had at other schools. The guy is a great up and coming coach. Someone is going to get him. Why not us?

You clearly know more about it than I do (because I really know nothing about this guy). I was just writing what I would like to see in him as a coach and hope that he is not just a good coordinator because he has all of Sabans players.

It was Bama Charlie's post of "y'all can have him" or something to that effect that doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the guy.

But in the end, I am really saying I have no clue about McElwain.

You clearly know more about it than I do (because I really know nothing about this guy). I was just writing what I would like to see in him as a coach and hope that he is not just a good coordinator because he has all of Sabans players.

It was Bama Charlie's post of "y'all can have him" or something to that effect that doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the guy.

But in the end, I am really saying I have no clue about McElwain.

He posted that during the game while Alabama was losing to Arkansas.

All I know is that Bama is 30-2 since McElwain started calling plays. Nobody is going to convince me he's not a great coach.

He posted that during the game while Alabama was losing to Arkansas.

All I know is that Bama is 30-2 since McElwain started calling plays. Nobody is going to convince me he's not a great coach.

Didn't realize he posted that during the game. Makes sense now.

I was just writing what I would like to see in him as a coach and hope that he is not just a good coordinator because he has all of Sabans players.
A good point. I believe Shortbus Shawn could do a great job with those kids at Bama. I believe he was offered the job too. Right?

We're being awfully picky considering we aren't a good football team, don't pay top dollar, have a relatively fickle and stingy fanbase, have below average facilities, can't offer long-term contracts to assistants, have an extremely high cost of living, aren't located in a hotbed of HS football talent, have difficult admission requirements, and won't be the most attractive opening this offseason (Georgia, LSU, aTm,?). I'd take this guy right now without blinking if we could get him.

No offense to Coach Mac as he has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know, but he has been out of the game for a decade and a half now. I love the guy, and he will always have a special place in Buffs lore, but the game isn't even remotely the same as it was when he hung em up. McElwain would be an AWESOME hire.

Coach Mac has forgotten more than Talkins will learn in a lifetime.

So Charlie ... Tell us about him. What is the scoop?

We have two great RBs, a great Oline, and an average QB. We attemped about 30 passes and ran the ball 40 times. Our average was only 5.7 on runs [and that include his 5 sacks which were all coverage sacks]. He tries to get to cute with the passing game. You guys remember our 'red zone' problems last year? It was because he threw the ball on 1st and 2nd down every time.

yall can still have him-dont rate him as a coach because of the talent that CNS has put in his huddle.

SINKRATZ said:
We're being awfully picky considering we aren't a good football team, don't pay top dollar, have a relatively fickle and stingy fanbase, have below average facilities, can't offer long-term contracts to assistants, have an extremely high cost of living, aren't located in a hotbed of HS football talent, have difficult admission requirements, and won't be the most attractive opening this offseason (Georgia, LSU, aTm,?). I'd take this guy right now without blinking if we could get him.
Geez... When you put it like that, it should be a miracle that we won 3 games last year.

We have two great RBs, a great Oline, and an average QB. We attemped about 30 passes and ran the ball 40 times. Our average was only 5.7 on runs [and that include his 5 sacks which were all coverage sacks]. He tries to get to cute with the passing game. You guys remember our 'red zone' problems last year? It was because he threw the ball on 1st and 2nd down every time.

yall can still have him-dont rate him as a coach because of the talent that CNS has put in his huddle.

Thx for the perspective. I've actually watched a decent bit of bama this year. The talent is amazing.

If I had Julio Jones, I'd try to get cute with the passing game, too.

just sayin'.

Bama Charlie cracks me up. He can bitch all he wants about the RBs not getting enough carries, but McElwain guided an offense with John Parker Wilson to the SEC championship game. The guy can coach.

Bama Charlie cracks me up. He can bitch all he wants about the RBs not getting enough carries, but McElwain guided an offense with John Parker Wilson to the SEC championship game. The guy can coach.

QBJPW sure could hand the ball off well though.

Back