What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jimmy Smith is flying up the draft charts

KingPants

Club Member
Club Member
Cecil Lammey (how ever you spell if) just said that Jimmy Smith is going to be at least a top 10 pick, and possibly around 5. Apparently he is passing Price Akkkkkkmurra on most teams lists. With the recent reports about Solder being the number #1 OL, there could be two buffs in the top 10. Has that ever happened to the buffs? I wonder if that has ever happened to a team that has been as bad as the buffs recently.

Good for him, hope he continues to impress. I never understood why Prince was considered a top 5 sure pick while Jimmy was a late 1st or 2nd rounder.

Uhhh he is flying up the charts because of what??? He hasn't done anything to do so since late November which was CU's last game. Glad to see but not sure how this is possible

Read it for yourself:

This guy says no way is Jimmy "all that."
http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/20...-qb-blaine-gabbert-vs-colorado-cb-jimmy-smith

But this guy says Jimmy Smith "has great length at 6'2 and speed to be able to hold the most elusive receivers in man coverage."
http://ballhyped.com/2011/01/22/nfl-draft-prospect-jimmy-smith-cb-colorado-buffaloes/

And our local naysayer actually has (a few) nice things to say as well:
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16970106
"... he's a big cornerback (6-feet-2 and 205 pounds) who runs the 40-yard dash consistently in the mid-4.4s. He was so respected, few opposing quarterbacks threw his way. Even with no picks, he made the all-Big 12 Conference first team."

oh boy, two potential top ten picks and we win 5 games their senior year. ****. don't get me wrong, that's awesome news, but what the ****. how could we have been that bad?

oh boy, two potential top ten picks and we win 5 games their senior year. ****. don't get me wrong, that's awesome news, but what the ****. how could we have been that bad?
I think these guys simply overcame their coaching. I think I'll be glued to the NFL Draft for the first time in years.

good for smith. but, i too must express frustration that a team with 2 senior first rounders couldn't even make it to a ****ty bowl game. i never thought i'd hate a coach as much as i hated fairbanks. hawkins, you continue to rocket past him.

My frosh year roommate has been involved with CU athletics for the last 6 years as a member of the track an field team. I was talking with him @ the TTech game this year and was asking about Jimmy and Jalil. Word around the athletic dept was that Jimmy was somewhat of a slacker, whereas Jalil busted his ass. I could easily see Jimmy's recent surge as a result of finally realizing his true potential.

I would hope someone showed him the difference in $$$ from a top ten pick to a late first round/second round pick. I think seeing the numbers would give anyone with tha much talent a reason to work as hard as possible in preparing for the draft!

Glad to hear that 2 Buffs might go top 10! That would be awesome! And as a response to why we were so bad? ...2 players a complete team does not make...

Not this past year he wasn't. He's been in Arizona for 1-2 years.

Still, Brown was only gone for 1 year. I'd say any credit for the development of Jimmy Smith should go his way. Solder.. no idea how he came out of the Hawk era being a good player.

Still, Brown was only gone for 1 year. I'd say any credit for the development of Jimmy Smith should go his way. Solder.. no idea how he came out of the Hawk era being a good player.

And to think what he could have been with good coaching. :wow:

And to think what he could have been with good coaching. :wow:

Dude was nearly a unanimous AA. With good coaching the Cal game wouldn't have been as bad, but other than that I don't see much else. He did what he was supposed to do all year.

I always though Ambrose was a pretty good Secondary's coach. Jimmy and Jalil were both pretty decent. I really though Jimmy looked pretty good in coverage even when he was beaten. From what I saw he did a pretty good job on A.J Green (who is an elite talent) but didn't do as well against Broyles from Oklahoma. Although when the DL can't get a push it is hard to judge DB's having to cover that passing attack. I think Ambrose did pretty well with getting Ray Polk and Anthony Perkins turned into decent safeties too. Hopefully next year Hawkins, Orms, and some of other youngsters can step in and play. Could be a long year for the DB's if they don't.

Who was coaching secondary before Ambrose took over?

I belive that both Smith and Solder will go 1st round. I would love to see both in top 10. How great would that be! If Jalil destroys it at the Senior Bowl game today and has a great combine he will absolutely up his stock.

GO BUFFS!!!!

A lot will depend on the workouts. The NFL scouts are metrics junkies and Jimmy Smith has the potential to put up big numbers. I still doubt that he moves to the top 10.

Scout has put up the top 32 and nate moved up to #11 and jimmy is #12 and he wasnt even invited to the game.

Did a little browsing today. Found these:

-- CBS sports mock:
- - -> Rang has Solder at 19 to nyg; Smith at 23 to philly
- - -> Reuter has Solder at 22 to indy; Smith at 27 to atl
(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock)

Rang also has a story about his top 32 + 10; Solder and Smith are included.
(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14663480/rangs-big-board-top-32-plus-10)

-- Fox sports mock:
- - -> Schrager has Smith at 25 to seattle; Solder at 30 to Chi

Schrager has an interesting take on who Denver will pick early -- Peterson (CB LSU, 1st round), Heward (DE OSU 2nd round), and Paea (DT OregSt 2nd round).
(http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-mock-draft-cam-newton-arizona-cardinals-020711)

-- SI mock
- - -> Banks has Solder at 12 to minny, Smith at 32 to Pitt (mock is dated 1/27)
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/01/27/2011-nfl-mock-draft/index.html)

Listening to the Afternoon Drive Dorks (Geoff Ketchum and Chad Hastings) down here in Austin and they're freaking out that Jimmy is rated above Aaron Williams in the coming draft they're talking to Lance Zerline (some draft guru) about it in 15 minutes...guess I'll check in and see what gets said.

Introduced the spot earlier as "Williams is now rated below some guy from....Colo-rah-do?" Colorado said with much sneer.

Zerline not on yet, but they're prepping...Williams only Longhorn rated top 5 any position for the draft. They agree with Patrick Peterson #1 - Amukamara at #2 - #3 Harris from Miami (indifferent on 2 and 3)
JIMMY at #4 (They're flipping out) "Blowing my mind, because I've seen Colorado play!" -Ketchum Believes that Williams' drop to #5 is unwarranted. "Too many people reacting to the Longhorns' cess pool season."

Commercial break.

Back